Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-10, 03:00 PM
ZmanKC

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Snow from yesterday is melting on the streets. Temp is in the High 20' to low 30's. I'll be leaving in a few minutes. Hope to get in around 20 miles.
Old 01-30-10, 03:00 PM
rideorglide

Bikes: Leader 780-R; Rockhopper FSR;Trek 660; Kona Blast Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shp4man
I rode the Bayshore Bikeway in San Diego today. It's about 30 miles. I just finished restoring this Peugeot and this was it's test run. Got a nice tailwind on the last leg of the route.

That is a flat-out beauty.

Great job!
Old 01-30-10, 03:04 PM
wrafl

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did 11.3 miles this morning under sunny but fridgid conditions. 19* at the start of the ride and 21* when I pulled up the driveway. First ever ride in sub 20* temp manageble ride as long as you dress well with layers of clothing. Fingers were numb and frozen so I turned back home and grabbed an old pair of wool socks which I fashioned like a mitten over my full finger insulated gloves. Helped kept my fingers warm but it was my toes later that felt cold and frozen. I don't ride in this kind of weather and my usual start of cycling season is mid to late March. New experience to me and I am looking for more ride time despite the cold weather as long as there's no ice and snow on the pavement.
Old 01-30-10, 06:51 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One hour on the rollers today. I was a bad boy and skipped the resistance and core exercises. A guy from my cycling team, is also a race car driver, and I stopped my workout to watch him during the first two hours of the Rolex 24 hr race on Speed TV. Watching car racing requires drinking beer and I didn't want to mix crunches, pullups and bicep curls together.
Old 01-30-10, 06:53 PM
60bass

Bikes: 2015 Electra Townie 21d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice ride today

Did about 6 miles today on the Trek 7200. Wanted to do more but tight schedule held me back.

Weather was beautiful here in AZ today, sunny high 60's low 70's slight breeze. Just the nicest day out there. Hope to get in some more tomorrow.
Old 01-30-10, 07:39 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
In the twenties today but Sunny! Rode about 10 miles and it felt good. Much easier for me to get to breathing hard on a short, non-intense ride than on a longer 'ride' on the trainer.
Old 01-30-10, 08:21 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
56 miles on my Al Single. Felt every pebble on the road (compared to a steel tandem), but a great ride nonetheless. Temps in the mid or upper-50's.
Old 01-31-10, 04:43 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
17 miles, on rail-trails, thru city park, round about the town with the wife, not even 40F, filtered sunshine, although it did finally get sunny as we headed home and made the days supposed high temp of 42F from 3-4PM. Stopped at a little corner store for a piece of homemade choc. cake, YUM! 203 miles for the month of Jan. on the "frankenbrid", a LOT more miles/hours on the trainer, hope it start's going the other way soon!

Old 01-31-10, 05:40 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Belated Birthday Metric. Well, almost.

I had planned for a birthday Metric to celebrate #62 back on Jan 10th, with a nice open house birthday bash in the back yard. Unfortunately the Arctic Express made an unscheduled stop in So. Fla. for a few weeks, and well, everyone wimped out. Including me. When you are used to riding in 90 deg weather with 95+% humidity, 40 something is pretty uncomfortable.

So I been planning on a reschedule, but if you have been following the saga of my grandson, you know I've been a little distracted. Celebrating 62 yrs and riding a bike seems so frivilous when he is struggling to make it to 7.

Anyway, this week the prez of the bike club sent out a notice that we were invited to join the Boca Bike club for their Sat AM ride. I mapped out a route, and it was 14.2 mi to the Boca start point. The other wimps decided to drive, but I sucked it up, rose at 5 AM and rode at 6 to Boca. I arrived at 6:40, 2nd on the scene.

The Boca club is quite a bit bigger than our group, so they had 4 full ride classes. I opted for the 21-24 mph group. We did a spiffy 27 mi, and I only dropped when they sprinted the last 2 miles. The old ticker just got going a little too fast.

After a very pleasant breakfast at the local deli, I was facing a 15.4 mi ride home. The reason for the difference is that I hopped a ride to the deli with a girl from the club who drove.

THe ride home was the worst part of the entire ride. I was heading south most of the way, into the teeth of a 13 mph breeze. And being solo, it was all up to me.

None the less, I got home just fine, but I didn't set any speed records.
Old 01-31-10, 05:40 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Belated Birthday Metric. Well, almost.

I had planned for a birthday Metric to celebrate #62 back on Jan 10th, with a nice open house birthday bash in the back yard. Unfortunately the Arctic Express made an unscheduled stop in So. Fla. for a few weeks, and well, everyone wimped out. Including me. When you are used to riding in 90 deg weather with 95+% humidity, 40 something is pretty uncomfortable.

So I been planning on a reschedule, but if you have been following the saga of my grandson, you know I've been a little distracted. Celebrating 62 yrs and riding a bike seems so frivilous when he is struggling to make it to 7.

Anyway, this week the prez of the bike club sent out a notice that we were invited to join the Boca Bike club for their Sat AM ride. I mapped out a route, and it was 14.2 mi to the Boca start point. The other wimps decided to drive, but I sucked it up, rose at 5 AM and rode at 6 to Boca. I arrived at 6:40, 2nd on the scene.

The Boca club is quite a bit bigger than our group, so they had 4 full ride classes. I opted for the 21-24 mph group. We did a spiffy 27 mi, and I only dropped when they sprinted the last 2 miles. The old ticker just got going a little too fast.

After a very pleasant breakfast at the local deli, I was facing a 15.4 mi ride home. The reason for the difference is that I hopped a ride to the deli with a girl from the club who drove.

THe ride home was the worst part of the entire ride. I was heading south most of the way, into the teeth of a 13 mph breeze. And being solo, it was all up to me.

None the less, I got home just fine, but I didn't set any speed records.
Old 01-31-10, 06:06 PM
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Between the rain and kitchen remodel project I almost missed out this weekend. Finally got out this afternoon for a short 15 miles. It was very windy so I stayed in a development trying to let the houses help block the wind.
On non biking note, I could have bought both of the nice bikes I rode last week for less than I spent on cabinets today.
Old 01-31-10, 08:13 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I did another reconnaissance ride for the club's April Fools routes today. There was a part of the century route that I had never ridden and I needed to make sure it was OK. I mapped a 50 mile ride that took in the unexplored part and some more familiar territory. It was a beautiful day. Mid 40s at the noon start, only warming to 50, but light wind and bright and sunny. The manager of the LBS I use and his girlfriend joined me for the first 12.5 miles before they turned back. She had some stuff to do this afternoon and was unsure of being able to do a long ride since she has been mostly MTB riding lately. I should have known it was a setup. As soon as we hit the big hills, she took off and left me in the dust. I was "chicked" bigtime!

I pressed on after they turned back and found that the new section was smooth and scenic with little traffic. Just right for the ride route. I stopped for a snack at 21 miles in the tiny town of Toomsboro. It was once a happening place in the boom days of the kaolin industry, but those days are long gone and it is practically a ghost town now. The building I stopped at, the Swampland Opera House was once a popular country and gospel music hall. I played there a couple of times with my first band back in the mid 70s during a brief revival of the music hall. Sad to see the place so empty now.

Old 01-31-10, 11:41 PM
60bass

Bikes: 2015 Electra Townie 21d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BUMMER no ride today

Another perfect day to ride here in AZ, but alas it was not to be!

Got waylaid by the hall bathroom toilet. Had a small leak that by the third flush of the morning turned into a out to be bigger leak. Ended up taking the better part of the day to pull the tank, gut it, and rebuild it. Man how I hate working on toilets. Water closets, toilets, loos, or whatever you call it have been around for how many years now? You'd think by now they could build a toilet that doesn't crap out (pardon the pun) every year.

I hate it when I miss a daily ride. Even 2 or 3 miles around the area right now is enough to make me happy as long as I get in some ride time. I find it a great way to burn off stress and have some quiet time for myself away from broken toilets and other daily pains in the butt, or from a stressful day at work.

Oh well, ride tomorrow when I get home. Looks to be a beautiful day again and should be a nice sunset.

Carl
Old 01-31-10, 11:59 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Saturday: Cgallagh, bff and I rode the racing bikes 35+ miles, with plenty of pacelining and sprinting by those two.

Sunday: 55 miles with Cgallagh, bff, and various racers. I needed a recovery ride and the first 25 mi. were not such, so I was dropped. Chris waited for me so we could do the most brutal climb together. We left the group and did our own ride. I was happy with the mileage given how beat-up I felt. Like yesterday, today's weather was so perfect it was hard to complain about it. 65* in January? Yeah, I'll take it.
Old 02-01-10, 06:14 AM
azbackpackr

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Salsa Journeyman, 05 specialized stumpjumper full susp.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep trying to un-wuss myself and ride when it's cold. Today I'm going to try it, since the snow and ice are off the roads, it is supposed to be sunny like yesterday, and I don't have time to drive up and cross country ski, which is my real passion at the moment. We have the most snow since I moved here 10 years ago--we got some of that California storm 10 days ago. 4 feet of snow at my favorite xc ski area, 12 miles from my house. I went there yesterday and had a blast.
Old 02-01-10, 11:22 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I took my first ride of the year along the Chicago Lakefront yesterday. I also rode my new-to-me 1987 Trek 400D Elance, this will become my commuter & wet roads bike as soon as I install fenders. Sunny weather with temps in the twenties made for great riding. Multiple layers kept me comfortable, but I felt like the Michelin man and the pace was slower than just a few months ago;

Old 02-01-10, 12:14 PM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Between the rain and the cold, I hadn't ridden since last Wednesday, so I didn't let 27 degrees and freezing fog stop me from riding to work this morning. It's supposed to be in the low 50's this afternoon for the return ride home.

It's February already, and a quick look at my journal tells me that January was colder than usual, and that I don't like riding in cold weather. I rode just 322 miles in January. That's the fewest miles I've ridden in a calendar month since April, 2008. I had a better excuse then; I was finishing up three rounds of chemo. Did I mention that I don't like riding in the cold?
Old 02-01-10, 12:49 PM
Shp4man

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by rideorglide
That is a flat-out beauty.

Great job!
Thanks! It rides nice, too.
Old 02-01-10, 03:17 PM
wrafl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did 25.5 today with temps around 27* and 30*. Nice day and a little sunny but forecast for tonight is snow.
Old 02-01-10, 07:50 PM
dawes56

Bikes: dawes, schwinn, kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snow on the MUT from a storm on Saturday forced me onto the road today. I only did about 12 miles, but it is better than nothing and I got a start on some February miles. 35F and light breeze, full sun... very pleasant riding. Wife took some pics before I left the house, but she said I was out of focus...(I've been out of focus for years).

Pete
Old 02-01-10, 09:02 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode the entire two hour trainer class tonight that included several minutes of out of the saddle riding. I have some work to do to catch up to my riding buddies who are in the class but with two months of the classes left I will have time.
Old 02-02-10, 12:47 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Perfect weather, the bike was rolling fast and then pfffffft! Something sliced the back tire and tube. Green slime went everywhere. Nice walk home.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 02-02-10, 08:02 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
I'm currently a "Recreational Rider", VERY slowly trying to work my way up to being a old, slow "Touring Rider", so when I say I did my "Training Ride", it's not like you guys that race or do the serious LD "timed" events. Still I have one ride that I don't dawdle around, it's up several hills and even the parts of rail-trail are up hill grades. That's the ride I did today, 17.8 miles in 1.5 hrs. and lot's of uphill. The windchill temp. was 32F, partly sunny with a 13mph steady wind. I can't afford the trick gps/bike computer combo's a lot of you have but I do ride in Colorado Springs, CO. which is at 6,000ft.+ a little more, so I'm happy with my ride today!

Old 02-02-10, 08:12 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
February 2, yes, rain this morning but clear this afternoon, light wind today.

Temp in the high 60s when I left to low 60s when I got back today, wind out of the W & NNW @ 7/12 mph so I got out for another 30+ miles this afternoon/evening. Got home about 8:15. Good ride

0 Gopher Tortoise today
4 Sandhill cranes
0 Deer
0 Turkeys

30.94 (s)miles today
30.94 (s)miles this month
616.80 (s)miles this year
1 ride day(s) this month (Feb.)
6883.2 miles needed to hit 2010 goal

Old 02-03-10, 02:17 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two trainer days in a row.

I think I'm going to lose my mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.