Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Larger tires, hydroforming / aluminum

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-17, 08:32 PM
bdooner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Have bigger tire sizes and hydroforming revived aluminum? Or?
Old 09-03-17, 03:51 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
My aluminium framed, carbon fibre forked bike with 28mm tyres is almost as comfortable as my steel framed bike with 23mm tyres. With 23mm tyres, the aluminium bike is noticeably less comfortable than the steel bike. Changing to 28mm tyres made a surprising difference to the aluminum bike.

Only a few years ago, skinny tyres weren't sexy and so manufacturers didn't use them. I think the only reason manufacturers are going to fatter tyres now is that they are the latest fashion ie, despite the difference in comfort, I don't think that's relevant, it's all about fashion.
Old 09-03-17, 05:21 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
Maybe for the manufacturer's bottom line with respect to failed frame warranty replacements and wasted production due to manufacturing errors as well a the bicycle company's ability to market new features that don't change much for the end user.

The vast majority of hydroformed aluminum frames I've ridden have been extremely stiff, especially when designed as a endurance road or gravel bike. I don't think the industrial knowledge or maybe even physical constraints, are there to make a square/rectangle/triangle shaped tube as compliant as a round tube.
Old 09-03-17, 05:50 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Tires aside, yes, hydroforming has made aluminum frames more complaint. What most people don't realize is that steel is stiffer than aluminum (just crush an aluminum can). The early alu frames were constructed like steel with small round tubes and they were noodles. Steel can be made with small round tubes because the material is stiffer and stronger. So in the late 80's they started making alu frames with huge round tubes. They made them less noodly but kind stiff riding. I personally don't think they're as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Hydroforming changed that because now they can be designed and shaped like carbon, stiff where you want it, such as in the HT and BB, and compliant where you want it.

Carbon also had a reputation for being flexy when they first came out with small round tubing.

Another factor is that in the 90's most of us were running 23's or even 20's at 120 freaking PSI. I personally ran 20's for about 8-10 years. Now that we're more knowledgeable in rolling resistance, ect, we know better. But that helped give alu the unfair reputation it has.
Old 09-03-17, 09:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Hydro forming shapes the tube to meet the local stresses of that joint, and here aluminum works well at low cost..

Saw a picture of a Bridgestone, Japan steel frame they hydro formed.. the tubes .. expect it was not cheap to do..
Old 09-03-17, 10:25 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've had a couple cf bikes. I enjoy both of my aluminum bikes that I currently have. I run 24's on my road bike and actually have 24's on my cross/trainer bike also. But I do have two sets of 32's for the cross bike as well.

I don't really notice a difference in comfort to be honest, no matter what I'm riding or what size tires I have. They're all pretty comfortable.
Old 09-03-17, 12:29 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Another factor is that in the 90's most of us were running 23's or even 20's at 120 freaking PSI. I personally ran 20's for about 8-10 years. Now that we're more knowledgeable in rolling resistance, ect, we know better. But that helped give alu the unfair reputation it has.
Good point!

I used to top up my (23 mm) tires to 120 psi every single ride. Today I'm using 1.5 inch tires. Every couple of weeks (or so) I top them up to 70 psi. Speed wise I'm roughly as competitive (or not) as I was with the bone shaker tires. I think that it's easy to over state the degree of difference that most of this detail stuff makes.