Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do I need two sets of new wheels?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do I need two sets of new wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-23, 09:45 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
I rode this morning in 15-20mph breeze on 45mm depth wheels. This is a pretty common situation around here. It was fine. A few gusts blew me around a bit, but nothing unusual and I'm pretty sure this would've happened regardless of what wheels I was on.

I assume the wind handling becomes more of an issue with deeper wheels (i.e. 60-80mm) but in my experience, 45mm wheels feel mostly the same as shallow alloy wheels in this regard.

The OP mentioned gusts up to 60km/h, which is 37mph. This seems pretty extreme to me and I would likely avoid riding in these conditions regardless of wheelset. This is a very specific and extreme situation and while I'm sure shallower wheels would make things easier, it's still going to suck.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 04-12-23, 10:48 PM
ummed

Bikes: 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2, 2012 S-Works Venge, 2014 Specialized CruX Pro, 2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I rode this morning in 15-20mph breeze on 45mm depth wheels. This is a pretty common situation around here. It was fine. A few gusts blew me around a bit, but nothing unusual and I'm pretty sure this would've happened regardless of what wheels I was on.

I assume the wind handling becomes more of an issue with deeper wheels (i.e. 60-80mm) but in my experience, 45mm wheels feel mostly the same as shallow alloy wheels in this regard.

The OP mentioned gusts up to 60km/h, which is 37mph. This seems pretty extreme to me and I would likely avoid riding in these conditions regardless of wheelset. This is a very specific and extreme situation and while I'm sure shallower wheels would make things easier, it's still going to suck.
I got knocked off my bike riding 45s in 60mph gusts. Yeah, it was pretty stupid to ride in those conditions, and shallower wheels probably wouldn't have made much difference. That said, "deep" wheels are harder to handle in changeable conditions, but deep is relative and these days rim shape is more important than pure depth anyway.

What was the question? Should the OP buy more stuff? The answer is yes. Always yes.
Likes For ummed:
Old 04-15-23, 07:43 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I have found that flat bladed spokes (and in the days of Rolf Vector Pro wheels) made a bigger aero difference than 50mm deep carbon wheels. As for the need for a second set of wheels, I say yes. Break a spoke or something like that before a sportive event and having a second set of wheels will be a life saver.
Old 04-18-23, 11:23 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
2 things. Not so much the low speed ,but the constant stops reliably informs me that you are not at a place where you need to be buying upgrades rather than riding upgrades. 23mm tires are nuts in this day and age, and if you do decide to upgrade, go a little fatter.
Old 04-18-23, 11:58 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by StargazeCyclist
I am thinking of upgrading my factory wheels to a set of aero wheels...
Because of the wind? Ha... Look man, getting another wheel set is just fine. Just call it what it is... "Getting Your Baby A New Pair Of Shoes"...

Speaking on that note here is a song that used to run through my head in the 70s when I could spin the road. Had a pocket sized cassette player that could fit in my Bar Bag. No lyrics. Just spin, Spin, SPIN...

Old 04-22-23, 08:44 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Buying more bike stuff based on need??? What crazy sub forum is this ?
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 04-22-23, 09:30 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Re brake pads: I just have two sets of pads. It’s just a couple minutes to swap all four. You’re taking the wheels off anyway, so it’s really quick and easy. Just keep the tiny hex wrench with the spare pads.
Old 04-26-23, 11:04 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by StargazeCyclist
I am thinking of upgrading my factory wheels to a set of aero wheels. After a few months of research, I have kind of settle on a set of Chinese carbon wheel that is 50mm deep, 25mm wide, to be used with 23c tires in front for minimal drag.

However the ride yesterday makes me rethink. It was my first century this year. For half of the ride I battled with 30km/h wind and 60km/h gusts. Many times I was almost blown into the ditch off the roadside -- that was with my low section wheel, with bladed spokes. I even had a zero speed crash when dismounting. When riding head on into the wind, I could only inch forward at about 15km/s and taking breaks every 1-2 km.

In view of this does it mean I need yet another set of 30mm wheels, that is equally wide and made of carbon fiber (so that there is no need to change brake pads and readjust brakes) for windy days?

I am interested whether you guys would go this length in order to have deep section wheels.

I am a small lighter rider and you will find 50mm isn't that deep. You really shouldn't have much trouble handling the bike unless you never ride with you hands on the bars
Old 04-30-23, 04:17 PM
roadie276

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Others have mentioned, but it's worth emphasizing that newer generation, wide, deep wheels apparently handle windy conditions much better (u-shaped profile instead of v-shaped, apparently). I'm not sure which type you tried with, but it's worth considering. I debated multiple sets of wheels, or at least a lower-profile wheel up front with my recent bike upgrade, but after trying out the deep wheels (51mm Bontrager Aeolus), I found the handling in the wind pretty dang good for the most part, and haven't bothered with a second set of wheels at all. I think maybe on one ride in the past 10 months or so it's felt a little dicey, but was still manageable. Probably on the crazy windy days (gusting > 30 mph or so) I'd consider just staying home regardless of wheels.
Likes For roadie276:
Old 05-04-23, 08:20 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
just bought 2 sets of these

Old 05-06-23, 07:04 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
All this is really moot since you are already the fastest person in the world since you are going like 45x the speed of sound. ---> I could only inch forward at about 15km/s
I call bull**** - at mach 45 he'd burn up.
Old 05-06-23, 07:08 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by roadie276
Others have mentioned, but it's worth emphasizing that newer generation, wide, deep wheels apparently handle windy conditions much better (u-shaped profile instead of v-shaped, apparently). I'm not sure which type you tried with, but it's worth considering. I debated multiple sets of wheels, or at least a lower-profile wheel up front with my recent bike upgrade, but after trying out the deep wheels (51mm Bontrager Aeolus), I found the handling in the wind pretty dang good for the most part, and haven't bothered with a second set of wheels at all. I think maybe on one ride in the past 10 months or so it's felt a little dicey, but was still manageable. Probably on the crazy windy days (gusting > 30 mph or so) I'd consider just staying home regardless of wheels.
+1 - modern 50s seem like pretty fine general purpose wheels if they're light enough for climbing.

I cheated and made mine tubulars; they're lighter than any lightweight box section clincher. Crazy fun wheelset, worth the hassle.
Old 05-06-23, 07:12 PM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
waiting on these SuperTeams to come back in stock

Old 05-07-23, 10:23 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
I cheated and made mine tubulars; they're lighter than any lightweight box section clincher. Crazy fun wheelset, worth the hassle.
Every day tubular wheels, or just special occasion wheels?

The cost and extra work that accompanies tubulars gives me pause. Compared to tubulars, the cost and extra work of tubeless doesn't seem so bad.

Almost all the pro teams have dropped tubulars in favor of tubeless now.

Old 05-16-23, 03:46 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
50mm isn't that deep however it depends on your skill and weight and also your bike. On my aero bike with deeper fork blades and an overall heavier weight 50mm isn't an issue and I am a lighter rider. However 50mm on my lightweight bike with skinny fork blades and a really light end catches a lot in the wind