Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Am I a retrogrouch?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Am I a retrogrouch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-23, 12:47 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,230 Posts
RetroGrouches may lack for small gears, but out-of-saddle climbing is a technique we learned before road cogsets looked like pie plates.

Saddles - I custom mine for better comfort, assuming suspended leather.

What's funny are comments insinuating riders of modern equipment are better or more knowledgeable cyclists. What a riot!
Unsafe to take hands off bars, ... I need discs to stop in time,... Tubeless 38s @60psi make my road bike faster.... my top tube bento box is cute ... I Strava'd today ....

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-07-23 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-07-23, 01:01 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by yaw
What's with all those upward saddle angles on those antiques?
Not the Yaw, but the Pitch.
And truly, many have not been cycling long enough to even know the answer.

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-07-23 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-07-23, 01:44 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Is it possible to be retrogrouchy one day and non-retrogrouchy the next? Without smugness? Maybe. Guess I might be an alternating grouch.

To be 100% honest = not much has changed in 60 years. ‘Tubes’ got fat, forks got unbent, silver became black.

Amazing the similarities, some people just don’t have the experience to know.

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-09-23 at 06:44 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 06-07-23, 03:22 AM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Yeah Wildwood you seem to be an all out fantastic person, so experienced, and able to climb out of the saddle is really impressive, but I don't trust people with dirty oily chains. You may as well eat the neighbourhood pets for pleasure each full moon.
Old 06-07-23, 04:52 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
There's no need to carry a spare battery.
it would be like the "need" to carry a spare shift cable.
Old 06-07-23, 10:17 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,647 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
RetroGrouches may lack for small gears, but out-of-saddle climbing is a technique we learned before road cogsets looked like pie plates.

What's funny are comments insinuating riders of modern equipment are better or more knowledgeable cyclists. What a riot!
Unsafe to take hands off bars, ... I need discs to stop in time,... Tubeless 38s @60psi make my road bike faster.... my top tube bento box is cute ... I Strava'd today ....
I believe the gauntlet has been thrown down for King of the Retro-grouches. May the one-up-manship begin. It may deserve its own thread.

Old 06-07-23, 11:18 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by yaw
Yeah Wildwood ....., but I don't trust people with dirty oily chains. You may as well eat the neighbourhood pets for pleasure each full moon.
Folks of my generation (retro), don't move fast enough to catch the pets.
I use wax - my mustache ends, a plant based variety, of course.
Carless (personal choice), I feel free to oil chains guiltlessly, as needed.
Old 06-08-23, 06:27 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I guess in a way I could be. I don't like how modern bikes look, that much, new cranks like 105's are gods damned ugly, di2 is just dumb to me. I don't mind disc brakes and brifters.
Old 06-08-23, 04:23 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
... new cranks like 105's are gods damned ugly ...
I don't know about ugly but 105 FC-R7000 cranks sure look odd. The first time I installed one, the asymmetric drive side crank arm made me think I had installed the non-drive side crank arm at the wrong angle.
Old 06-08-23, 05:18 PM
PeteHski

I guess in a way I could be. I don't like how modern bikes look, that much, new cranks like 105's are gods damned ugly, di2 is just dumb to me. I don't mind disc brakes and brifters.
I think 105 cranks look fine. Nothing there that strikes me as “god damned ugly” anyway. Di2 is not really “dumb” either. So I would say that does qualify you as a genuine retro-grouch.
Old 06-08-23, 06:05 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I think 105 cranks look fine. Nothing there that strikes me as “god damned ugly” anyway. Di2 is not really “dumb” either. So I would say that does qualify you as a genuine retro-grouch.
I don't see the need for electronic shifting. And yeah, these things are ugly and asymetrical compared to more traditional cranks found on older roadbikes and SS.

Effing ugly.
Old 06-08-23, 06:11 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
I like the looks of the 7000 better than the 5600, 5700, and 5800 personally.

5500 were the last decent looking 105s though.
Old 06-08-23, 06:42 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Cranks are fashion statements now, are they?
Old 06-08-23, 06:50 PM
PeteHski

I don't see the need for electronic shifting. And yeah, these things are ugly and asymetrical compared to more traditional cranks found on older roadbikes and SS.

Effing ugly.
There is no need for many things, but that doesn’t make them ‘“dumb”. The only thing I don’t like about Di2 is the hard wiring. Otherwise it is a sublime shifting experience.

As for the 105 cranks, posting photos of them doesn’t really change my mind about their aesthetics. They still look fine to me. I actually think it would be quite hard to make a truly ugly crank. What feature of ithis one do you find so ugly? Or is it just because it doesn’t look retro?
Old 06-08-23, 07:05 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

As for the 105 cranks, posting photos of them doesn’t really change my mind about their aesthetics. They still look fine to me. I actually think it would be quite hard to make a truly ugly crank. What feature of ithis one do you find so ugly? Or is it just because it doesn’t look retro?
How do you like the Bullet cranks?

Old 06-08-23, 07:43 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

There is no need for many things, but that doesn’t make them ‘“dumb”. The only thing I don’t like about Di2 is the hard wiring. Otherwise it is a sublime shifting experience.

Because retros look better, they're asymetrical, chunky like walmart bike cranks, they're ugly, don't have a clean look, funny looking. I'm not trying to change your mind, I'm voicing my opinion.
Old 06-08-23, 07:44 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

And then there's this

https://www.instagram.com/thanksshimano/
Old 06-08-23, 08:40 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Luckily, I guess, there is no way I could create enough power to that.

Didn’t much care for the all black group sets and now that I own two all black Ultegra, I still don’t care for them. Gun metal gray would be a nice compromise.

Last edited by rsbob; 06-08-23 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-08-23, 11:29 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by baj32161
Don't get me wrong, I love tech but, for the riding I do (exercise, fun and peace & quiet) I don't see any need get the latest tech

I like my clinchers with tubes and my rim brakes. They're easier to maintain and fix while on the road.

I have no real need get disc brakes, tubeless tires, internal cable routing, etc

I am currently riding a 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp with with I am extremely happy. About the highest tech it has on it are Shimano 105 STI and I'm okay with that.
Having a bike (one out of 6) that has electronic shifting and hydraulic disc brakes, I will never encourage anyone to get either. Neither is necessary for my riding, and probably nearly every other rider (note: i didn't say it isn't necessary for everyone, just me and most others).

That said, I enjoy my bike with electronic shifting and hydro brakes. There's nothing wrong with them except the expense of the shifting and the fact that I think cable rim brakes are easier to install and maintain. I'm glad I have this set up, but it's not necessary and I likely won't buy another bike with electronic shifting and hydraulics.
Old 06-08-23, 11:46 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I have two road bikes with Ultegra. One with discs and the other standard calipers. When I switch from the disc bike to the caliper, I have to remind myself to brake sooner with more effort. In the rain, there is no comparison in braking performance - but the disc shrieks can get a little annoying when wet.

Retrogrouch or dinosaur, that is the question.

Old 06-09-23, 02:23 AM
PeteHski

Because retros look better, they're asymetrical, chunky like walmart bike cranks, they're ugly, don't have a clean look, funny looking. I'm not trying to change your mind, I'm voicing my opinion.
I was just curious about the retro-grouch mindset. I don't know why you felt the need to post pictures of it as we both know what it looks like. Ironically, it's the clean look I like about modern bikes.
Old 06-09-23, 02:28 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Camilo
Having a bike (one out of 6) that has electronic shifting and hydraulic disc brakes, I will never encourage anyone to get either. Neither is necessary for my riding, and probably nearly every other rider (note: i didn't say it isn't necessary for everyone, just me and most others).

That said, I enjoy my bike with electronic shifting and hydro brakes. There's nothing wrong with them except the expense of the shifting and the fact that I think cable rim brakes are easier to install and maintain. I'm glad I have this set up, but it's not necessary and I likely won't buy another bike with electronic shifting and hydraulics.
So e-shift and hydro disc brakes are not necessary, but you enjoy having them. I can say that for pretty much every item of hobby kit I own!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-09-23, 02:32 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
How do you like the Bullet cranks?

I can't say I'm a fan of the patterned carbon finish on this pic, although I haven't seen one IRL.
Old 06-09-23, 03:20 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

I was just curious about the retro-grouch mindset. I don't know why you felt the need to post pictures of it as we both know what it looks like. Ironically, it's the clean look I like about modern bikes.
Some of them do look pretty clean with the internal cable routing. I don't dig the relaxed, beach cruiseresk frame some have or had. I like brifters, but the cables splayed all over the front bothers me a lil bit- like it's more acceptable for a mtb to look like that to me, or maybe a cx bike. Those cranks look like they belong on an excersize bike, though. I like five spoke style old school ones. On the same light; I don't like most mtb cranks either for similar reasons. Gimme a mix and match of old and new, like mid00s bikes I guess. I'm the same way with cars, like; I like the Charger, S550 Mustang and such on the outside, hate everything else outside the drivetrains on the inside.
Old 06-09-23, 03:58 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
I have a few saddles I would like to try this on but I don't have the guts to attempt this myself. Is it a difficult process ? Are special tools needed? I also have a couple to practice on beforehand.

Is it possible to be retrogrouchy one day and non-retrogrouchy the next? Without smugness?
I would like to think we keep to ourselves until some smug upstart bashes one of our prized memory inducing bicycles for being too old.

To be 100% honest = not much has changed in 60 years. ‘Tubes’ got fat, forks got unbent.

Amazing the similarities, some people just don’t have the experience to know.
Then there are some bikes with a foot in multiple eras.

Out for a spin on some gRaVeL

Last edited by daviddavieboy; 06-10-23 at 04:56 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.