Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is 500$ a good deal for this bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is 500$ a good deal for this bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-23, 05:17 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
This is a no-brainer. Look is the bomb, as is Chorus, and it has a triple! The triple basically means the drivetrain can be as close and/or as wide as you like, unlike what another poster said. Campy's front shifting works better than Shimano's for triples too IMO.

The frameset is like 98% probable to be totally fine, if not for as long as you want to use it, then for probably another ten years at least. If not, you can part it out and make a nice profit. And unlike a bike that cost $500 new, spending more money on it wouldn't be a waste.

​​
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 08-14-23, 02:07 AM
Friedrich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
..shrug..it's your decision and you'll live with the outcome whichever direction you go. You asked for advice..and you're getting it from a number of folks. You sound a bit young..and convinced that 18 pound carbon is the only option(marketing and peer pressure does work). I'm an old fart(that's been biking for 45 years) and realize there are many options. 18 pounds is nice..but it ain't a heck of a lot different than 20lbs...unless you race, at a high level.

If you're buying used I'd avoid "entry level" anything. "Entry level" anything is made to a price point that necessitates compromises to get to that price point...compromises that typically aren't great. Carbon, aluminum, steel, titanium..whatever..buying entry level is a bad investment. As is buying any bike that is well past it's prime simply due to it (finally) declining into your budget range. It's like buying a BMW with 175,000 miles on it..well..it's a BMW..

For the sake of comparison..I've purchased a number of Lemond bikes, Reynolds 853 tubing or titanium, that when new, in today's dollars, ran close to $4k each. I paid $500-$1000 for them. They ride as good today as when someone first purchased them. If they've made it this far, I expect that will still be the case for some time to come. Bikes like this may be older in age, but they are not old in materials or design. The geometry and materials are with us today(tubing it still easily available and used by custom and semi-custom builders) for around $4k.

Point is, for $500 you can find some really nice, at one time very pricey, used bikes(even carbon ones) in very good condition. There's no reason to buy something that's approaching old age, particularly if you're not fluent in what you're buying.

Buy it, don't buy it..doesn't matter to me. It's your money and either way you'll probably learn something.
So high end old bike over “newer” (12+ years) cf entry level bike?

Last edited by Friedrich; 08-14-23 at 02:26 AM.
Old 08-14-23, 06:33 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
If I had a fleet of bikes, including one that is relatively recent and is my main ride, I'd say buy it if you have the money to spare. But as a first bike I'd say that you'll be looking for another within a few months once you get out there and see what new bikes look like. While old steel bikes are "classics" and certain others also, like old Cannondales, that bike isn't. I ride an 18 year old bike as I've said in a prior post but would love something newer except at 68 years old it just doesn't seem worth it anymore. But if you are younger you'll be lusting after something else in no time.
Likes For zacster:
Old 08-14-23, 08:13 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Did OP buy the bike or is it still for sale?
Old 08-14-23, 10:48 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
That's a deal! If I had the space, and it was my size, I'd buy that bike in a second. LOOK was among the elite-level builders in terms of design, materials, & execution. In terms of a bike brand, they were consistently better than any other I can think of, except perhaps Time. Better than Pinarello, Colnago, etc.

As long as it hasn't been crashed and repaired, it should last for the life of the next rider. I'd pay $500 alone for a complete Campy Chorus drivetrain if the shifters don't need rebuilding, and the rings and cassette are still relatively fresh. Campagnolo 10-speed Ultrashift is the great stuff, still among my favorite gear.

Due to not having the unnecessary ballast of discs, fat tires & porky disc-compatible wheels, this bike will weigh in competitively with any 2023 top-brand road bike costing 10 times this price. In terms of outright performance in a fast group ride, it will be superior to pretty much anything you can buy new right now.
Likes For Dave Mayer: