Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best Aluminum Road Wheels?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best Aluminum Road Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-23, 07:19 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I would be surprised if was Poertner’s viewpoint that weight doesn’t matter until +6% inclines. Perhaps you can link the interview so we can get it from the horses mouth? I suspect there’s a lot more context there which needs understood.
For sure he would have been referring to wheel weight vs aero. For amateur riders 6% is usually around the point where lightweight wheels begin to offer a marginal advantage over deeper section aero wheels. For pro riders it can be as high as 10% inclines due to their higher power/speed.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-27-23, 07:36 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by chaadster
Well now…weight has no direct effect on time, but weight does have a direct effect on speed up a climb. It seems to me it makes more sense to talk about weight and speed; 10kg sitting on the road is 10kg sitting on the road regardless of how long you look it. It’s only once the speed component— i.e. time over distance— that 10kg translates into anything.
I obviously meant time over a fixed distance. For example like in the SwissSide comparison of lightweight vs aero wheels. They looked at time deltas over a fixed climb.

Since we are being pedantic, speed = distance over time, not the inverse you stated above. Time over distance is actually exactly how I would frame the effects of weight on a climb.
Old 07-27-23, 10:08 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Top for me would be a velocity aileron which is a 28mm deep, 19mm internal width rim so it pairs nicely with a 25c tire, alloy nipples, pillar wing21 spokes with a chris king r45 disc hub, 28h rear, could go 24h front. You don't specify disc vs rim but I'd assume a new build to be disc. The wing21 spokes are 2.2 at the hub so an all day go anywhere wheel but with a lighter weight aero profile so good for speed, and kings are light and fast, and on steep downhills will coast as fast as you want to go. Not a prebuilt but as lock solid as any and should be fairly light.
Old 08-03-23, 12:46 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Best? Does anyone actually think there's a "best"? Lots of good though
Old 08-04-23, 02:27 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I would say Campy Zonda. For about 400 Euro in rim brake wheels, you can't go wrong
Old 08-04-23, 03:59 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Yes it does because it means something totally different from what you wrote earlier. And if you think it's pedantic to say no the Sun doesn't rise in the West, it rises in the East, so be it.

I have to be pedantic and point that the sun doesn't actually rise anywhere, rather it remains fixed and we rotate around it.
Likes For MaxKatt:
Old 08-05-23, 10:35 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
All of the aero vs. weight analysis completely misses the 'elephant in the room': that during real performance riding (money is at stake), you are drafting 90+% of the time. Sure, if you are on a flat road breaking the wind, then aero matters, as you are struggling with minute-long 500+ W pulls. But most of time you are comfortably sheltered in the back coasting along at 100 W or less. So aero anything doesn't matter.

But the few seconds per hour that really really matter are during short punchy climbs and accelerations out of corners. You are completely maxed out and hanging on for dear life, and you have to bridge the 10 foot gap within the next 2 seconds, or you are riding solo into the wind for the next hour.

This is where wheel rotating inertia is critical, and the lightest possible wheel for the win: low-profile carbon tubulars of course. No discs - obviously.
Old 08-05-23, 10:43 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
All of the aero vs. weight analysis completely misses the 'elephant in the room': that during real performance riding (money is at stake), you are drafting 90+% of the time. Sure, if you are on a flat road breaking the wind, then aero matters, as you are struggling with minute-long 500+ W pulls. But most of time you are comfortably sheltered in the back coasting along at 100 W or less. So aero anything doesn't matter.

But the few seconds per hour that really really matter are during short punchy climbs and accelerations out of corners. You are completely maxed out and hanging on for dear life, and you have to bridge the 10 foot gap within the next 2 seconds, or you are riding solo into the wind for the next hour.

This is where wheel rotating inertia is critical, and the lightest possible wheel for the win: low-profile carbon tubulars of course. No discs - obviously.
This is just not true at all. Just for anyone who might believe this rubbish.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-05-23, 11:23 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
This is just not true at all. Just for anyone who might believe this rubbish.
Yep, pure nonsense.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-05-23, 04:14 PM
Dave Mayer

Don't let the bike industry marketers and sales drones adversely steer your decision here. They are always attempting to facilitate customer bike inventory turnover, and press expensive purchasing decisions. I service many bikes every week, and you also do not want to buy something that irrecoverably binds you to your shop for formerly simple do-it-yourself maintenance items. As does hydraulic disc brakes and internal cable routing, and the new chaos of proprietary parts and 'standards'.
Old 08-05-23, 04:15 PM
Dave Mayer

And BTW: Zonda's are great wheels, as are Fulcrum 3s and above.
Old 08-06-23, 06:36 AM
PeteHski

Don't let the bike industry marketers and sales drones adversely steer your decision here.
…..or old biking mythology and cynical “Big Bike” conspiracy theory.
Old 08-07-23, 03:42 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
It's a shtick, right?
Old 08-12-23, 04:49 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts

This seems to make sense; nobody's said why it doesn't.

Although if you want the fastest-possible accelerating wheel, I'd say it would be disc - a few more spokes on the front and a bit more weight on the hubs and frameset, but the rim could be lighter, which should matter more.

Mind you, my 49mm rim brake rims are 330g... How light do you need to go?
Old 08-12-23, 04:54 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
This seems to make sense; nobody's said why it doesn't.
Because drafting or not at reasonable speeds you're fighting aero drag so anything that reduces you're effort, even in a pack, will result in less fatigue later.

The fastest accelerating wheel will either be the one with lowest drag or lightest weight (regardless of how that weight is distributed) depending on rider power and road grade. The same as for riding at constant speed since bicycle accelerations are so low.
Old 08-12-23, 05:33 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Because drafting or not at reasonable speeds you're fighting aero drag so anything that reduces you're effort, even in a pack, will result in less fatigue later.

The fastest accelerating wheel will either be the one with lowest drag or lightest weight (regardless of how that weight is distributed) depending on rider power and road grade. The same as for riding at constant speed since bicycle accelerations are so low.
Um, in a pack, aero drag is relatively negligible, and the air is quite dirty (turbulent) around the height of the wheels, so that's highly debatable.

As for aero drag having a significant effect on acceleration, that's an interesting question, but it would only apply at higher speeds...

And the distribution of mass in a wheel has no effect on acceleration?! Lol. You must be smoking better stuff than me...

Last edited by Kimmo; 08-12-23 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-12-23, 05:39 PM
asgelle

And the distribution of mass in a wheel has no effect on acceleration?! Lol. You must be smoking better stuff than me...
Nope, just looking at the data (you might try it).
Old 08-12-23, 05:48 PM
Kimmo

Nope, just looking at the data (you might try it).
[citation required]

Polar moment of inertia, anyone? This is kindergarten stuff. How in F did that comment get a like?
Old 08-12-23, 05:56 PM
asgelle

[citation required]
Let's go back to 2001 shall we? https://capovelo.com/ounce-off-wheel...eight-crucial/
Polar moment of inertia, anyone? This is kindergarten stuff. How in F did that comment get a like?
Because some people progressed beyond kindergarten?
Old 08-12-23, 05:57 PM
Kimmo

Come to think of it, aero aside, if the pack's speed only varies slowly, it might consume some effort to maintain a more consistent speed on really light wheels, and of course it does take more effort to maintain a given speed on a faster-accelerating bike. Lots of variables.
Old 08-12-23, 08:22 PM
PeteHski

[citation required]

The thing is that the wheel mass is relatively low and bike acceleration is also a small value, even when sprinting. So when you do the calculations the power requirement to spin up the wheels is not very significant compared to the total mass of the bike and rider. It’s very trivial when comparing wheel sets that differ by only a few hundred grams.

Swiss Side ran some calculations on various course profiles.

https://www.swissside.com/blogs/news/aero-vs-weight

Wheel rotational inertia is trivial. You can spin these things up with your little finger on a stand.

Last edited by PeteHski; 08-12-23 at 08:33 PM.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-12-23, 11:26 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
The thing is that the wheel mass is relatively low and bike acceleration is also a small value, even when sprinting. So when you do the calculations the power requirement to spin up the wheels is not very significant compared to the total mass of the bike and rider. It’s very trivial when comparing wheel sets that differ by only a few hundred grams.

Swiss Side ran some calculations on various course profiles.

https://www.swissside.com/blogs/news/aero-vs-weight

Wheel rotational inertia is trivial. You can spin these things up with your little finger on a stand.
In other words, the old "rotating weight is more important than frame weight" is true in theory, but is actually trivial in practice given the actual weight differences in rims and the actual accelerations on the ride. I think I remember reading this - maybe on this forum - a while ago. Seems to make sense to me.
Old 08-13-23, 12:19 AM
StargazeCyclist

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Let me stir things up. For optimal aero the rim's external width should be slightly wider than the tire's actual width. A 23c tire is about 25mm wide on a moderately wide rim. I am not sure what aluminum wheel is wide enough (the closest I have seen is an Orinii rim at 25mm width 30mm depth and the 3T Accelero pro at 23mm width and 37mm depth).
Old 08-13-23, 07:19 AM
Kimmo

Originally Posted by Camilo
In other words, the old "rotating weight is more important than frame weight" is true in theory, but is actually trivial in practice given the actual weight differences in rims and the actual accelerations on the ride. I think I remember reading this - maybe on this forum - a while ago. Seems to make sense to me.
Funny to think how much of the feeling of light wheels must be placebo then...
Old 08-13-23, 07:23 AM
Kimmo

Originally Posted by StargazeCyclist
Let me stir things up. For optimal aero the rim's external width should be slightly wider than the tire's actual width. A 23c tire is about 25mm wide on a moderately wide rim. I am not sure what aluminum wheel is wide enough (the closest I have seen is an Orinii rim at 25mm width 30mm depth and the 3T Accelero pro at 23mm width and 37mm depth).
Is there any such thing as a modern deep profile in an aluminium tubular? Otherwise you'd be getting pretty heavy, but OTOH, apparently that only matters to your monkey brain...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.