Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pedal came off during my ride

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pedal came off during my ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-23, 10:11 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Happens all the time? I can't recall seeing a pedal come off, ever.
Consider the source.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-18-23, 10:35 AM
roadfix
hello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
I just bought my first “completely built” bike in many decades. My first ever e-bike. The very first thing I did to the bike was to re-torque every component.
Likes For roadfix:
Old 10-18-23, 11:32 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Happened to me last year. Brand new Centaur crank and BB. I was on the trainer when the pedal came off, pulling all the threads with it. Took it back to the LBS, where neither of us discussed blame but the owner fixed it and didn't charge me. Their work has otherwise been flawless for well over a decade.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-18-23, 11:53 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
This is fairly uncommon. Only really seen it happen once. Much more common are pedals that are torqued on their arms waaay too much. If the pedal accepts a 6mm allen key, that's all I use to secure it. Leave the long pedal wrench in the tool box.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-18-23, 09:56 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10968 Post(s)
Liked 7,494 Times in 4,190 Posts
Originally Posted by eljayski
I appreciate everyone's comments. A bit more to the back story. The shop in question did the measurements for my David Kirk and set up the Kirk when it arrived. So far, so good.

Oh yeah, you are the guy with the Kirk that has a suspension seatpost.
Wasn't that shop the one that put the seatpost on because that was all they had?...or something like that.
Anyways, cool collection of frames you've accumulated recently.
Old 10-19-23, 02:20 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
It's easy...Buy a pedal wrench and do it yourself, just make sure to put some grease on the threads before you install the pedals.
Old 10-19-23, 06:34 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
Also, with the collection of bikes you have, you should be wrenching yourself…
Pretty much agree here. And use an actual pedal wrench for proper torque--not a 6mm hex...That's what the "mechanic" who installed them probably used.

Last edited by smd4; 10-19-23 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-19-23, 07:14 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Just get a some Allen wrenches or a pedal wrench and put it back on yourself. Pedal installation is not something you need to go to the bike shop for.
Would disagree when dealing with someone who can't do their own mechanic work in a situation like this. It should be brought to a shop to investigate the threads first. Might need a tap run through from the back of the crank to clean up the first couple threads or it risks ruining the crank by treading in a pedal imperfectly through damaged threads. I've seen this happen when people screw up.

Originally Posted by Yan
As the saying goes, you get what you're willing to pay for. Next time don't cheap out.
Should have gone with Super Record? What's the cheap out? He paid a LBS to professionally assemble the bike, there's nothing cheaping out about that, would have been the wise and proper move to make if he doesn't trust himself to do the job properly.

OP, never seen it happen without improper assembly. Like others I've seen plenty of pedal failures, even snapped an XT spindle earlier this year resulting in a pedal failure, but if reasonably torqued I've never seen a new pedal just fall out. It was a screw up on the shop's part.
Old 10-19-23, 08:36 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10968 Post(s)
Liked 7,494 Times in 4,190 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Should have gone with Super Record? What's the cheap out? He paid a LBS to professionally assemble the bike, there's nothing cheaping out about that, would have been the wise and proper move to make if he doesn't trust himself to do the job properly.

OP, never seen it happen without improper assembly. Like others I've seen plenty of pedal failures, even snapped an XT spindle earlier this year resulting in a pedal failure, but if reasonably torqued I've never seen a new pedal just fall out. It was a screw up on the shop's part.
Im guessing here, but I think the cheap comment was directed at the pedals. I dont know what brand or model they are, and truthfully know very little about platform pedal quality, but just based on them being red they look like any number of the cheap colored pedals that flood ebay and amazon.
Old 10-19-23, 08:54 AM
roadfix
hello

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Just get a some Allen wrenches or a pedal wrench and put it back on yourself.
Best to have both, as some pedals do not have wrench collars, and can only be tightened by using an Allen wrench.
Old 10-19-23, 08:56 AM
eljayski 
slow on any terrain

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JK Classic; Sella Ronda by Bertoletti; Tommasini Tecno

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Oh yeah, you are the guy with the Kirk that has a suspension seatpost.
Wasn't that shop the one that put the seatpost on because that was all they had?...or something like that.
Anyways, cool collection of frames you've accumulated recently.
That's what happened . . . btw, the bike now has a rigid seat post.
Old 10-19-23, 09:34 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Best to have both, as some pedals do not have wrench collars, and can only be tightened by using an Allen wrench.
Lefty loosey facing front just doesn't have the same ring...
Old 10-19-23, 09:59 AM
roadfix
hello

Originally Posted by wheelreason
Lefty loosey facing front just doesn't have the same ring...
Sorry, I don’t get it…
Old 10-19-23, 10:10 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
RATS!

Now I gotta go check my pedals.

Thanks...

Oh... That's a NICE BIKE!
Old 10-19-23, 11:44 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Sorry, I don’t get it…
Less Dennis Miller, copy....
Old 10-19-23, 12:02 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Pretty much agree here. And use an actual pedal wrench for proper torque--not a 6mm hex...That's what the "mechanic" who installed them probably used.
Too many pedals nowadays don’t have flats to even use a wrench. And for me, one of my bikes has carbon fiber crank arms, pretty much necessitating using a hex socket and a torque wrench, so I don’t over torque the threaded insert.

If I were on a Campy crankset like the OP, I’d be using factory torque settings.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 10-19-23 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-19-23, 12:38 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Too many pedals nowadays don’t have flats to even use a wrench.
And so go modern bikes...
Likes For smd4:
Old 10-19-23, 06:55 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Prior to riding: Look over bike squeeze tires,,try brakes. This takes less time than looking your phone over!
gm
Old 10-19-23, 09:59 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by eljayski
yesterday, Oct 16. LBS guy said he didn't tighten it enough during assembly. Does this happen very often?

the bike in question

Looking at the photo, maybe the mechanic is one of those purists who feel platform pedals are an insult to the road bike industry and sabotaged the pedal
Old 10-20-23, 04:42 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I don't think I've ever had a pedal come off. I did crossthread one on once and didn't know it until it took me about two hours to get it off because I thought its axle was bent. I've had enough nds crank arms come off, that I've grown paranoid any time I **** with cranks.
Old 10-20-23, 05:03 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1965 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
If you actually bothered to read the thread, you'll realize that he was specifically talking about cheaped out pedals and cheaped out bearings. That was what my quote was responding to. Specifically.
Old 10-20-23, 10:27 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
If you actually bothered to read the thread, you'll realize that he was specifically talking about cheaped out pedals and cheaped out bearings. That was what my quote was responding to. Specifically.
I did, op suggested in response to someone else that maybe the pedals were cheap chinese, doesn't state that they actually are, as in, maybe he isn't certain. From the pic they look like basic crank bros nylon pedals which every shop seems to keep in stock. Either way, I've never heard of any pedal having the bearings seize up and unscrewing the pedals, not to mention how ridiculously doubtful it would be that the bearings in any pedal would seize up that fast regardless of how cheap. The pedals that I have seen bearing failures on the bearings were destroyed to the point they came out of the pedals or the pedal became unrideable as it wouldn't turn at all. But the idea that cheap pedals did this is silly. Just a shoddy job.
Old 10-20-23, 12:07 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Always a good idea to visually inspect the bike yourself. Pedals not threaded all the way in would be easy to spot. Lots of problems are easy to spot by simply riding around the block and then returning to the shop to have anything fixed and avoid a second trip.
Old 10-20-23, 02:37 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Bike shop mechanic messed up on pedal installation and failed to tighten them properly and some posters are blaming OP for using cheap pedals or defective pedals with bad bearings, typical bikeforums
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-20-23, 04:33 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
I don't know ... there was a time when money was tight and I was using one set of pedals on three different bikes and 'finger tight' on the pedal flats worked just fine for easy swapping without getting out the big ass Park Tool pedal wrench every time. And these were about as cheap as pedals get. Don't think it was the price of the o.p. pedal(s) but it was more the condition of the bearings in the pedal that came loose. That bike is crying for some Shimano M540's in any case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.