Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Alan - Then & Now

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Alan - Then & Now

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-23, 05:04 PM
cegerer
^ * * ^ * * ^

Bikes: 1977 Tom Kellogg Nr. 27 - 1984 Bob Jackson - 1987 Alpineer - 1999 Bianchi - 2002 LeMond Buenos Aries- 2007 Specialized Tarmac Pro - 2017 Mongoose Argus Comp FatBike - 2024 Gravity 29er 1-Speed Monstercross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 94 Posts
Alan - Then & Now

I've always wanted an Alan frame. And someday, I'll probably buy one. I did not realize they were still in business until recently. I don't know if it's the same company or if somebody has bought the name or what. They appear to still be in Italy. But they are offering some really cool modern frames painted to resemble the vintage aluminum glued lug version. I want one of each!

Likes For cegerer:
Old 12-12-23, 01:24 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
It's still the same company.
Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 12-13-23, 06:36 AM
cegerer
^ * * ^ * * ^

Bikes: 1977 Tom Kellogg Nr. 27 - 1984 Bob Jackson - 1987 Alpineer - 1999 Bianchi - 2002 LeMond Buenos Aries- 2007 Specialized Tarmac Pro - 2017 Mongoose Argus Comp FatBike - 2024 Gravity 29er 1-Speed Monstercross

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Website shows them as still in existence, still located in Italy. Bikes available in aluminum/scandium and carbon fiber.

Alan Bikes, Italy

Road, cyclocross and gravel models listed. E-shopping commerce is listed also. A quick google search gives plenty of links for the firm, shops that carry their offerings, and marque history. Several hits here at bike forums.net.

Almost picked up a very nice Alan, from the mid70’s, at the favorite LBS here in Pensacola, a few years back. Tunes were blue anodized, all Campy Nuovo Record, MAVIC GP-4 rims. Even my size for stand over, 56cm. If I hadn’t been in the middle of building the Drillium Dude Medici Pro-Strada I’d have snapped it up. On consignment at the shop, it ended up selling at $350.00.

Bill
$350??? Sounds like a steal. I know there are a lot of people who are paranoid about the glued construction and possible failures. It doesn't bother me and I figure at this point 30-40 years down the road, if a failure was going to occur it would've happened already.
Likes For cegerer:
Old 12-13-23, 11:10 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Not a lot of C&V bike interest in NW Florida, when that Alan stayed on the floor so long, that like to have driven me up the wall wanting to buy it. Tight money at the time, the Medici took up what extra I could save.

The few of us that ride and/or build vintage around here are lone riders and no one seems interested in group events or gatherings.

The construction didn’t even phase me, pinning the lugged joints is an option, if needed.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 12-13-23, 01:39 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

No pinned lugs.
Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 12-13-23, 02:03 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
I looked into buying their cantilever cross frame and couldn't ever figure out how. Never listed on their outlet page. No response to email/contact form or FB. Their USA dealer is Dean custom bikes, which also didn't respond to email, and that makes sense as there doesn't appear to be any Alan info on their site.

Oddly enough Alan does seem to do consistent business with Japanese bike shops but the runaround to get one in that manner was too much.
Old 12-14-23, 11:05 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 150 Posts
This is the right address
Alanbike
Old 12-14-23, 04:51 PM
cegerer
^ * * ^ * * ^

It looks like, for us USA riders, this shop in Germany might be the way to get one. Shop4Cross is the name.

Shop4Cross Alan Page
Likes For cegerer:
Old 12-15-23, 03:36 AM
fabiofarelli

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I looked into buying their cantilever cross frame and couldn't ever figure out how. Never listed on their outlet page.
These are not made anymore? They don't sell the old stuff.
Old 12-15-23, 04:18 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by fabiofarelli
These are not made anymore? They don't sell the old stuff.
They were offering them last year.

They were offering them last year. " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
They were offering them last year. " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

https://alanbike.it/en/cross-mercurial-pro/
Old 12-15-23, 05:01 AM
fabiofarelli

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
They were offering them last year.
Ah, I see, did'nt check for gravel bikes. They sell the frameset this year too. Complete bike at shop4cross.com