Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Is my saddle too wide?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Is my saddle too wide?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 01:15 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Is my saddle too wide?

Hello guys and gals,

I recently purchased a saddle for my road bike, the Selle San Marco Era Dynamic. This is the saddle: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u.../rp-prod128998
I ordered it online, so did not test it beforehand (stupid, I know, but it was a good deal). Now this is a pretty wide saddle, at 158mm width.

I did some long rides over the last couple of weekends (75km, 100km), and I noticed after a while the saddle caused some chafing on the lower part of my butt cheeks. Where the sides on the back of the saddle would hit my butt on the downward pedal stroke. After my ride the skin there was sore and chafed. Is this normal? Does this mean the saddle is too wide for me?

Also, the saddle feels a bit wide, like I automatically slide forward on it after a while, to rest my butt on the narrower part. Does this indicate a too wide saddle?

I was looking at some narrower saddles now, such as the Fizik Arione. According to the Fizik website, I have a flexible spine, so I'm a "snake" (I can easily reach my toes with my hands), and should get a Fizik Arione that would measure 132mm.. So this is a lot narrower than the one I have now. Would this saddle probably suit me better?
Old 05-23-16, 01:20 PM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
the simplest way to know for sure would be to go to your lbs... they have a seat that you sit down on and it will tell you what your sit bones measure... then you know what seat width you need. Takes 5 minutes and then no more guessing.
Old 05-23-16, 01:21 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Get a Fizik

Old 05-23-16, 06:35 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
132mm (much narrower than you have now) to 158mm..seems like a random approach. You can measure your sit bones at home. Place some tinfoil on a hard-padded chair or carpeted stair, sit & measure the distance between the indents. Add (about) 20mm and search for a saddle in that total width.

What color Selle do you have? If it's black & you want to sell it..let me know..
Old 05-23-16, 07:48 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
132mm (much narrower than you have now) to 158mm..seems like a random approach. You can measure your sit bones at home. Place some tinfoil on a hard-padded chair or carpeted stair, sit & measure the distance between the indents. Add (about) 20mm and search for a saddle in that total width.

What color Selle do you have? If it's black & you want to sell it..let me know..
Thanks for the advice, i will try that.

Its black. Yeah I'm thinking of selling it, sent you a PM.
Old 05-24-16, 04:25 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Thanks for the advice, i will try that.

Its black. Yeah I'm thinking of selling it, sent you a PM.

Tried to respond with a PM and ran into "..you can't send a PM until you have 50 posts.." So..this post puts me at 50..I'll try it again.
Old 05-24-16, 10:34 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I like a wide saddle of about 155mm. Regardless of the saddle width, even ones only 140mm wide, if the saddle is somewhat Vee shaped so that it is wide toward the front tip, I get chafing. I look for saddles that have more of a Tee shape that taper down to a narrow front part and even then tend to get chafing. My solution is to customize the saddle by heating in the area that causes chafing using a heat gun to soften the plastic and then pinch that part narrower.