Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Steel Forks: All City Nature Boy vs Soma/Tange lugged

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-17, 09:55 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts

Trying to decide on a steel fork for my Ritchey Breakaway. It's come down to the two in the title, and there aren't really many other options out there.

Someone told me that the All City was a lot heavier than the Soma/Tange Infinity fork, but I can't find listed weights. I believe that the All City fork is also Tange infinity, it just has a more decorative crown.

Opinions on either?
Old 11-14-17, 07:22 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
At least one in the Single Speed/Fixed Gear forum has the Soma fork. It is very nice, a high end product. Tange Infinity is about as good as it gets.

I have a 3Rensho replica made by Tange, LC21 aero lug, butted tubes, 41 mm rake, 870 grams, 120 mm spacing. It is 27 mm JIS crown race seat and had to be milled down to 26.4 ISO.

https://alexscycle.com/collections/crmo-front-forks
Old 11-14-17, 07:33 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
I can't see how a crown would add all that much weight. I would believe they went with thicker tubes
Old 11-14-17, 10:50 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Getting a cantilever fork, so not the Wolverine fork.

While I can't find listed weights, unverified Internet posts seem to place both forks at approximately 2 lbs, which makes sense if they are both comparably made Tange infinity forks.
Old 11-14-17, 11:00 AM
motrheadsroadie

Bikes: stinner cx, paramount track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
you dont want a steel fork.
Old 11-14-17, 11:02 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

But I suppose I could "mullet" my bike, and run a disc on the front...
Old 11-14-17, 11:05 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
Trying to decide on a steel fork for my Ritchey Breakaway. It's come down to the two in the title, and there aren't really many other options out there.

Someone told me that the All City was a lot heavier than the Soma/Tange Infinity fork, but I can't find listed weights. I believe that the All City fork is also Tange infinity, it just has a more decorative crown.

Opinions on either?
There is a fork from Black Mountain too. Gloss black. Pacenti PBP crown(killer!). Available in 50mm or 55mm offset. Can fit up to a 50mm tire. Curved fork blades.
Monster Cross Fork - Black Mountain Cycles

Curious- why change from the stock carbon fork to a cromo?

The Soma forks are really good quality and would be my second pick. Also, Soma isnt QBP, if it matters to you.
Old 11-14-17, 11:11 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Well, a while ago I replaced the Ritchey Comp fork with a WCS fork. The WCS fork is feather light, and really pretty, and has a lot of fork chatter. Plus the WCS fork can't run fenders.
The Comp carbon fork is barely lighter than a good steel fork, and its crown is a PITA for fender mounts anyway. Rather than reacquire a Comp fork, figured I'd look at a high end steel fork.
Old 11-14-17, 11:40 AM
motrheadsroadie

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
re: disc brake mullet - are you trying to say carbon forks with canti studs are a thing of the past?
Old 11-14-17, 11:42 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Originally Posted by motrheadsroadie
re: disc brake mullet - are you trying to say carbon forks with canti studs are a thing of the past?
No. Someone above suggested a couple of disc forks.
Old 11-14-17, 11:56 AM
motrheadsroadie

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
which is what you dont want to do.
Old 11-14-17, 11:58 AM
motrheadsroadie

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
do you know if those snap on carbon fenders that enve make work for their older generation forks?
Old 11-14-17, 07:47 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

which is what you dont want to do.
I don't have active feelings one way or another on doing a "mullet", save for the fact that I have no plans or wants to build new wheels and buy new brakes right now.

There are some clip-on fender options, but they don't cover as well in the mucky times of year as some good PB Cascadias, plus that WCS fork can have some nasty brake chatter.
Old 11-14-17, 08:35 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
You don't want to do a mullet.

I just can't conceive of anything other than disc brakes at this point in time
The bike is currently cantilever all around. Doing a mullet would be ADDING a disc.

That's beside the point though, since I'm not going to do it. It only came up because someone above suggested disc brake forks, when I'm looking into cantilever forks. Specifically the two I mentioned in the title.

Of CF options, only the Whisky 7 is really appealing, but it's both hard to find, and expensive.
Old 11-15-17, 12:10 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Getting a cantilever fork, so not the Wolverine fork.

While I can't find listed weights, unverified Internet posts seem to place both forks at approximately 2 lbs, which makes sense if they are both comparably made Tange infinity forks.
You want Cantilever steel? This Tange Prestige is lighter than Tange Infinity:
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...4&category=704
Old 11-15-17, 05:00 AM
ambro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW - I replaced a Ritchey Comp carbon fork on my All City Macho - with the OEM steel fork. it actually improved the ride quality. I love the all city fork - and steel in general - only added about 1lb to the bike weight. I would never go back.
Old 11-15-17, 03:48 PM
bdooner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I'd like to second the Black Mountain monster cross fork suggestion.
mstateglfr got it right
There is a fork from Black Mountain too. Gloss black. Pacenti PBP crown(killer!). Available in 50mm or 55mm offset. Can fit up to a 50mm tire. Curved fork blades.
Monster Cross Fork - Black Mountain Cycles
Old 11-15-17, 08:18 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
If you're looking at a steel fork who cares how much it weighs, it's flipping heavy. Get the one that ticks the most boxes.
Old 11-16-17, 08:24 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
they are still available, but they are certainly getting to be less common. I assume most companies are working through back stock now, if they have them at all.

I wouldn't fret too much about weight, but given two equal options, I would go for the lighter fork if it was using cantis. For a disc fork, I'm not so sure
Old 11-17-17, 10:21 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts

Opinions on either?
I have a Tange Infinity fork which is a part of the Double Cross frameset. Great fork.

Not sure about All City. Surly/Salsa/All City are QBP, and Soma is more or less Merry Sales. AFAIK, their frames (and Black Mountain as well) are made in Taiwan, probably by the same subcontractor (Maxway?). Material wise Surly "natch" and Tange Infinity are more or less Reynolds 520 chromoly. Tange Prestige is made of 753, which is heat treated 520. This allows to make it thinner, lighter and more aggressively butted. All City is at the high end of the QBP spectrum, and some of their frames are made of Reynolds 853, which is slightly stronger than 753. Maybe they have some higher end forks as well.

Originally Posted by trailangel
You want Cantilever steel? This Tange Prestige is lighter than Tange Infinity:
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...4&category=704
+1

If you are getting Tange get Prestige over Infinity.

Edit: Nature Boy fork is "Full 4130 High Quality Chromoly" according to All City. Tange Prestige is better than All City fork as well.

Last edited by csport; 11-18-17 at 01:40 AM.
Old 11-18-17, 09:56 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by csport
Tange Prestige is made of 753, which is heat treated 520. This allows to make it thinner, lighter and more aggressively butted.
First ive heard Prestige is rebadged 753. Tange products have always competed against Reynolds, from what ive read.
Old 11-18-17, 12:18 PM
csport

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
First ive heard Prestige is rebadged 753. Tange products have always competed against Reynolds, from what ive read.
Both yes and no. The tubing has two characterictics: material and thickness. In terms of alloy both 520 and 725 (actually 725, not 753, sorry for the error in the previous post) are AISI 4130, chrome-molybdenum steel. The difference is that 725 is heat treated. On the other hand, tubing thickness can differ between the manufacturers (Tange/Reynolds/Columbus). Tange Prestige is made of heat treated 4130, which allows one to make it thinner and lighter than Infinity (regular 4130). Probably Reynolds and Columbus made their tubes independently from Tange (assuming they were made in Britain, Italy and Japan) and they competed, but the alloy they used was the same.

There was a thread about different Reynolds steel alloys here, https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...lds-steel.html.
Elastic modulus of different steel alloys is more or less the same (tube of the same geometry will bend the same amount under equal stress), but tensile strength is different (tube of the same geometry made from a stronger alloy can be stressed more without breaking).

Some of the All-City bikes use Reynolds 853, which is stronger than Reynolds 725 (heat treated 4130). The All-City Nature Boy fork specs say it is 4130 and say nothing about the heat treatment. That is why I assumed it was similar to Tange Infinity.
Old 11-18-17, 05:30 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Both yes and no.
Oh, i gotcha- you were just saying they are equal in quality and proprties/features.
Thats different from saying Tange Prestige is made of Reynilds 753.
Old 11-18-17, 10:49 PM
csport

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Oh, i gotcha- you were just saying they are equal in quality and proprties/features.
Thats different from saying Tange Prestige is made of Reynilds 753.
Old 11-19-17, 01:44 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I have a Tange Infinity fork which is a part of the Double Cross frameset. Great fork.

Not sure about All City. Surly/Salsa/All City are QBP, and Soma is more or less Merry Sales. AFAIK, their frames (and Black Mountain as well) are made in Taiwan, probably by the same subcontractor (Maxway?). Material wise Surly "natch" and Tange Infinity are more or less Reynolds 520 chromoly. Tange Prestige is made of 753, which is heat treated 520. This allows to make it thinner, lighter and more aggressively butted. All City is at the high end of the QBP spectrum, and some of their frames are made of Reynolds 853, which is slightly stronger than 753. Maybe they have some higher end forks as well.
Some much wrong here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.