Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

ERTO width chart and Hed Jets

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-18, 11:32 AM
JoeO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Over the years, I have frequently come across the ERTO tire width chart on Sheldon Brown's website with which most of you are undoubtedly familiar

Tire Sizing Systems

And then, just today I was looking at the specs of the Hed Jet 6 Plus

https://www.hedcycling.com/jet-6-plus/

...which lists the internal rim width as being 21 mm. So according to that chart, that would mean that the narrowest tire I should use on a Jet 6+ would be 35 mm. But, the Hed-recommended tire size is 23 mm

That has got to be wrong (the chart, I mean, not Hed's recommendation).

Now I realize this chart is merely for recommended widths. The note right under it says that it errs on the side of caution. but these two width numbers are so far apart that I feel certain I must be missing something obvious.

Could someone with a clearer understanding (or better eyes) tell me what I am missing?
Old 02-12-18, 11:48 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
HED recommends a 23mm tire for the Jet because tires of that size will combine with the external profile of the rim to form a nice aerodynamic shape.

The ETRTO chart is very conservative, and also fairly old. My guess would be that the minimum-width recommendations are based on assumptions which simply don't apply in current wide-rim road use cases, such as that the 21mm internal-width rim might not be designed to handle road inflation pressures, and that a user will pump their 23mm tire to 130PSI.
Old 02-12-18, 11:56 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
That chart is useless for the newer rims. These rims are wider because as HTupolev stated, it's for aerodynamic purpose, to reduce the transition from rim to tire. The bulbous shape of the tire is where most of the turbulance/aerodynamic issues occur on the wheel. That's why the rims are getting wider, 27mm rims with 28mm tires. Of course the wider tires have the added benefit of reduced pressure = comfort and wider surface area = reduced rolling resistance. For 28mm tires for example, I would definitely look at minimum 25mm wide rims.

Of course these are not set rules, if you want to ride 32mm tires on 21mm rims, and it works, go for it.
Old 02-12-18, 12:30 PM
JoeO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
OK, great that makes a lot of sense. Thanks
Old 02-12-18, 12:40 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeO
Over the years, I have frequently come across the ERTO tire width chart on Sheldon Brown's website with which most of you are undoubtedly familiar

Tire Sizing Systems

And then, just today I was looking at the specs of the Hed Jet 6 Plus

https://www.hedcycling.com/jet-6-plus/

...which lists the internal rim width as being 21 mm. So according to that chart, that would mean that the narrowest tire I should use on a Jet 6+ would be 35 mm. But, the Hed-recommended tire size is 23 mm

That has got to be wrong (the chart, I mean, not Hed's recommendation).

Now I realize this chart is merely for recommended widths. The note right under it says that it errs on the side of caution. but these two width numbers are so far apart that I feel certain I must be missing something obvious.

Could someone with a clearer understanding (or better eyes) tell me what I am missing?
The aero rims are a whole new ballgame that the Sheldon Brown chart predates. The HED recommendation for 23mm is to achieve the aerodynamics the rim was designed for.
Old 02-14-18, 10:00 PM
MakiNn

Bikes: Spooky Mulholland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Also to put a spin to the mix, HED Jet 6+ wheels with a 25mm tire are actually super aero and fast with low low rolling resistance. I think you can find their wind tunnel experiments
Old 02-15-18, 01:37 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
The chart on the Sheldon Brown site has been there forever. Tires and rims today are different than back then. The chart was also just a guideline for when you lacked specific recommendations. The HED site gives you a specific recommendation.

Sheldon's chart is still useful, but remember it has to be very conservative because it doesn't account for variables of rim type, variable of tire bead type, etc.