Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tire Sidewall colors

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tire Sidewall colors

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-23, 11:18 AM
6door74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Tire Sidewall colors

I'm in need of some new tires for a Specialized Tarmac I just acquired. I'm not set on a specific brand yet, but I do want them to have colored sidewalls because that's just what I like. Let's see your road bikes with color sidewalls!

Initially I thought red but now I'm unsure and I just want to see a bunch of examples. A Google images search only shows the tires but not really any bikes sporting them. Gumwall and whitewall pics are welcome as well.

Thanks!

Last edited by 6door74; 01-04-23 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-04-23, 11:22 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts

My Look 481SL with red wall tires
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 01-04-23, 11:27 AM
6door74

Originally Posted by alcjphil
My Look 481SL with red wall tires
I bought a Scattante last year with those same Hutchison tires in blue.
Likes For 6door74:
Old 01-04-23, 12:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts

I know I was not in the big ring. Tan is the sidewall color to go for. They really class up the joint but more importantly the tires ride really well for skinny tires. I like a nice supple sidewall
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-04-23, 12:17 PM
6door74

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I know I was not in the big ring. Tan is the sidewall color to go for. They really class up the joint but more importantly the tires ride really well for skinny tires. I like a nice supple sidewall
I have a set on my State Americana bike
Old 01-04-23, 12:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by 6door74
I have a set on my State Americana bike
Show us the drive side!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-04-23, 12:43 PM
6door74

Show us the drive side!
It came as a 1x8 but when I changed these wheels, it has only 7 gears. I'll be making some changes to it eventually.
Likes For 6door74:
Old 01-04-23, 01:12 PM
pmf

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As with shorts, its hard to beat plain black tires. I do like the retro tan Vittoria Corsas on some of my steel bikes. If you hit it right, a colored sidewall looks really nice. If it doesn't quite match, it looks awful. Same with bar tape.

Do you need a premium membership to post pics here?
Old 01-04-23, 01:21 PM
6door74

Originally Posted by pmf
As with shorts, its hard to beat plain black tires. I do like the retro tan Vittoria Corsas on some of my steel bikes. If you hit it right, a colored sidewall looks really nice. If it doesn't quite match, it looks awful. Same with bar tape.

You're right about that, but black is blah to me. Whatever tire I choose will hopefully be found on Amazon for easy returnability if I don't like them.

You need 10 posts before you can attach a pic. I found a few threads to post on but then ran into a 5 posts per day limit. So i had to wait a few extra days. LoL
Old 01-04-23, 01:42 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I'd go with the red in the 2nd post, or black.
Old 01-04-23, 03:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by pmf

Vittoria Corsa tires are a throughly modern tire with some aesthetics that give it a retro vibe. Just so people don't think they are some vintage tire the Graphene compounds work wonders I have had them on my Di2 road bike and they are fantastic especially in the wet they really grip nicely.

No premium membership required just need to make 10 posts in active threads super easy. The idea is to help prevent spammers and scammers and such. Plus it hopefully gets people involved in the forums rather than just using us as google or alta vista or similar search engine.
Old 01-04-23, 03:47 PM
pmf

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vittoria Corsa tires are a throughly modern tire with some aesthetics that give it a retro vibe. Just so people don't think they are some vintage tire the Graphene compounds work wonders I have had them on my Di2 road bike and they are fantastic especially in the wet they really grip nicely.

No premium membership required just need to make 10 posts in active threads super easy. The idea is to help prevent spammers and scammers and such. Plus it hopefully gets people involved in the forums rather than just using us as google or alta vista or similar search engine.
I never meant to imply that Vitoria Corsa tires are old technology/material. They just are available in that retro looking brown gum wall. Same thing as the black version. I like them better than the high end Conti and Michelin tires. First tire I ever rode on and felt a big difference.
Old 01-04-23, 04:08 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
OP... Sorry for the threadjack
Vittoria Corsa tires are a throughly modern tire with some aesthetics that give it a retro vibe.
I got the Continental GP5Ks in tan wall for that retro vibe. And while I like them pretty well, just looking at the Vittoria Corsas I think they may be a better tire. Are they an actual skin-wall tire or just made to look that way? And have you ridden the GP5Ks also to be able to give me a comparison?

And to end the threadjack, here is a photo of the GP5Ks on my trek for the OP's color reference. When new, they were quite tan, now they are more brown. I think the tan gave them more pop, but the color after darkening isn't too terrible either.

Old 01-04-23, 04:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Chuck M
OP... Sorry for the threadjack

I got the Continental GP5Ks in tan wall for that retro vibe. And while I like them pretty well, just looking at the Vittoria Corsas I think they may be a better tire. Are they an actual skin-wall tire or just made to look that way? And have you ridden the GP5Ks also to be able to give me a comparison?

And to end the threadjack, here is a photo of the GP5Ks on my trek for the OP's color reference. When new, they were quite tan, now they are more brown. I think the tan gave them more pop, but the color after darkening isn't too terrible either.

The Corsa tire is a Cotton/Poly blend of some sort, they call it Corespun K. Like people have said it is easy to get dirty like most open tubular tires. However the ride is just fantastic I am a big person and haven't had any real puncture issues in using them (maybe one or two flats that I can recall in many years of using them). Like I said rain was fantastic, I was riding down a two lane almost highway for a bit in absolute pouring rain that I could barely see in front of me but I didn't feel like I was sliding or loosing grip at all, I felt really planted which was a good feeling because that rain was terrifying on that road. I had wished for some disc brakes on that descent (not that my rim brakes are bad but it was real wet and any extra braking I could have gotten would have been fantastic but I don't often ride in those conditions.

In terms of Continental I have used the Grand Prix classics and they were a fine tire certainly looked really good and performed like a Continental tire should but nothing blew me out of the water and I have done a little riding on the 5Ks but not enough to really comment too much. Conti makes great tires good puncture protection and a decent enough ride quality but they don't really do much in the soft supple open tubular world that I have used but I do like their tires when I want a long lasting low flat tire chance tire.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-04-23, 05:24 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked 2,985 Times in 1,498 Posts
Hutchinsons

https://www.bicyclebuys.com/hutchins...rey/0603204DGY
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 01-04-23, 08:53 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I was riding down a two lane almost highway for a bit in absolute pouring rain that I could barely see in front of me but I didn't feel like I was sliding or loosing grip at all, I felt really planted which was a good feeling because that rain was terrifying on that road. I had wished for some disc brakes on that descent (not that my rim brakes are bad but it was real wet and any extra braking I could have gotten would have been fantastic but I don't often ride in those conditions.
I noticed in the photos that they were grooved which made me think they would be better in the rain than the slicks I've been riding. And I do love disks in the rain.

Old 01-04-23, 09:18 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I would put some tyres on my bike that came in different colours. However I have yet to find any tubeless tyres that come in any colour beside tan.
Old 01-04-23, 09:29 PM
6door74

Went ahead and ordered these Vittoria Rubino Pro 2.0. The yellow is bold but I like bold. I think it will look good together. I'll post pics when I get them. They also come in red, blue, white, and black.

Last edited by 6door74; 01-04-23 at 09:37 PM.
Likes For 6door74:
Old 01-04-23, 10:54 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Back in the 80s when most higher end tires had tan sidewalls, I always liked mine looking clean, and not smudged and dirty looking after a couple of thousand miles. So just like when I used to clean the white wall tires on my mom’s 67 Cougar, I got out the Comet and a scrub brush. It worked wonderfully and made the sidewalls look like new. So I did it a few more times when they started looking tatty.

The night before my one day ride from Seattle to Portland, I thoroughly serviced the bike but used the same tires which probably had over 3000 miles on them. Of course I got out the Comet and scrub brush. At about mile 120, one of the sidewalls blew out. Inspecting it, it wasn’t due to a cut, but the fabric had been so weakened by the Comet it just fell apart. I was able to boot the tire with a dollar bill and finish the ride, but learned never to clean their replacements.

Old 01-05-23, 04:26 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 364 Posts
I noticed in the photos that they were grooved which made me think they would be better in the rain than the slicks I've been riding. And I do love disks in the rain.
My understanding is that bike tires are too narrow for grooves to make any difference for water on the road, and the companies that provide grooves do it for aesthetic/confidence reasons, usually not covering the centre treat. For gravel, mud, etc, then tread will get you more grip though.
Old 01-05-23, 04:44 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
My understanding is that bike tires are too narrow for grooves to make any difference for water on the road, and the companies that provide grooves do it for aesthetic/confidence reasons, usually not covering the centre treat. For gravel, mud, etc, then tread will get you more grip though.
I absolutely belief this is false. IME, treaded tires do make a big difference on wet pavement. Of course, brand and type of tire, how and what they are made from, what surface they are being ridden on, are all big factors. In regards, to the actual question of the post, just my opinion, not a fan of colors on tires other than black, gum, or variations of brown, maybe grey. Black never looks wrong. In transparency, I am badly color blind, ergo, I do not see color matches as others see them. I want to see the bike first, not the tires.

Last edited by delbiker1; 01-05-23 at 04:49 AM.
Old 01-05-23, 04:53 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
if a grey sidewall was available, I'd go with that... or gum?

Originally Posted by Herzlos
this is how it was basically explained to me by a conti rep many years ago. A MTB tire (likely applied to gravel) is generally much wider than a road tire, therefore, making tread groves more functional than just for an appealing design often used for marketing elsewhere. also we talked about tread depth; I dont 100% remember the details as to why thickness of the contact patch differed between road & MTB, but a road tire's contact surface is often thinner for assorted beneficial rider's experience. Although, this was before tubeless were a thing mainstream [pre2003].
I would personally sacrifice weight (gain) for more material thickness if that meant a substantial amount of durability & longevity was achieved, but that doesn't seem feasible with road tires (up to 700cx30). Maybe an engineer on here with bicycle tire knowledge can expand on this area?
Old 01-05-23, 06:31 AM
kooby

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Off-road tires with big lugs and deep grooves are designed to sink in to the soil and "push" against the soil (shear forces) in addition to friction with the ground. In contrast to slick road tires that are relying almost entirely on friction between the tire and ground. Treads in slick and off-road tires help with traction in the wet by evacuation water from contact area of the tire by simply giving the water a place to flow.

W/ respect to contact patch: friction does not depend on surface area (this is true), but when you are riding off-road, the wider contact patch (larger contact area) is better because you are applying forces to a larger area and are less likely to "deform" the soil under the tire (slip). When you are riding on-road, asphalt is so much stronger than loose soil that you don't need to worry about it deforming under your tires, so we can have nice, efficient skinny tires (until you run into some sand or gravel on the road)

Hope that clarifies a little bit
Likes For kooby:
Old 01-05-23, 11:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Yes they are grooved but I also have a feeling the graphene helps as well but I don't know. I just know they are great.

Discs would have helped then but I survived and I love the look and the weight of my eeBrakes so I think they are a keeper for now.
Old 01-06-23, 10:49 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by pmf

Shades matching is just trivial to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.