Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is 500$ a good deal for this bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-23, 08:11 AM
Friedrich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I'm looking for my first road bike, is this a good deal?

Old 08-08-23, 08:27 AM
867530niiiine

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It looks like a nice bike. I believe that that model is an early 2000 one but could be wrong. The drive train looks good but I would still check the chain wear.

I may be in the minority here but used carbon bikes give me the willies especially if you are unsure of the provenance of it. I just don't trust them.
Old 08-08-23, 09:04 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,813 Times in 3,321 Posts
I'd say it's too much. But if you want a nice bike and the price isn't busting your wallet and forcing you to take out a second mortgage or give away your first born, then whatever you think. You might spend months and years trying to find something for lower.

However consider the age. Those are old components. And they are also Campagnolo, which are generally held in high regard by most. But you'll find that other than the chain, if any Campy part needs replacing, you'll have to replace with Campy used and Campy NOS stuff. I might be wrong, the last Campy stuff I had was from the days of friction shifting.

Also consider what width tire that bike might be able to use. Today 28mm wide tires and even wider are common on a road bike. That bike might not even fit a 25mm tire. Though the rear has plenty of clearance to the seat tube, it's hard to tell about the clearance to the stays. And the fork on the front looks more limiting, but still hard to tell from the pics.

And if you did want wider tires and the bike will handle them, then will you need to buy new wider rims if those are really narrow internal width.

I'd offer half the asking and walk away if the seller is firm.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-08-23 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-08-23, 09:35 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Be aware that this is a 20-ish year old bike. If everything functions properly, is in good condition, and the bike fits you well, I'd say that $500 is not totally unreasonable, but I'd take a shot at getting it for less.

Last edited by Eric F; 08-08-23 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-08-23, 09:51 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
given a healthy report for the frame, and wheels/hubs and given 'consumables' might need replacing (Chain, tires, tubes, cassette, cables/housing, brake pads, etc )
I think $500 for this bike is a very good deal.
performance and a ride comparable to new bikes 5-6x the price (with new chain, tires, etc).
But ONLY if it truly fits the rider well !!!
Ride On Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 08-08-23, 10:06 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
I personally am a huge fan of Campagnolo 10-speed triple stuff, and the Chorus there is great. Assuming it all works and the bike fits you, it might be an OK price, but I'd be tempted to see if they're willing to move on the price at all. As others have said, while the Look KG386 HM was a nice bike, it's also 20 years old and the technology has moved on a bit. If I had the budget and it fit me (both big ifs that aren't true in this case), I would be sorely tempted because I have a habit of putting Campagnolo 10-speed triple drivetrains on all my bikes and I usually have to buy them as framesets to make that economical. This one is already there in that regard.

Old 08-08-23, 10:08 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22603 Post(s)
Liked 8,929 Times in 4,161 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
given a healthy report for the frame, and wheels/hubs and given 'consumables' might need replacing (Chain, tires, tubes, cassette, cables/housing, brake pads, etc )
I think $500 for this bike is a very good deal.
performance and a ride comparable to new bikes 5-6x the price (with new chain, tires, etc).
But ONLY if it truly fits the rider well !!!
Ride On Yuri
This. A "good buy" is a bad decision if the fit/size is not right.
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-08-23, 10:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,813 Times in 3,321 Posts
Also consider that this bike looks like it's made for a very aero rider position. So if you aren't that type of rider, then you might find it uncomfortable for your daily short rides.

Frame geometry determines overall what your position will be. So if you think you'd rather have a more relaxed position on the bike, then you want one that has a higher stack height. And that will be a different model of road bike. Different models are made to provide different desired postion of your body. Changing of the stem length and height is just for fine tuning. Your saddle height is determined by your leg length and that will be virtually the same height on any size road bike no matter what the size of the bike or the model of the bike.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-08-23 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-08-23, 12:08 PM
Friedrich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I personally am a huge fan of Campagnolo 10-speed triple stuff, and the Chorus there is great. Assuming it all works and the bike fits you, it might be an OK price, but I'd be tempted to see if they're willing to move on the price at all. As others have said, while the Look KG386 HM was a nice bike, it's also 20 years old and the technology has moved on a bit. If I had the budget and it fit me (both big ifs that aren't true in this case), I would be sorely tempted because I have a habit of putting Campagnolo 10-speed triple drivetrains on all my bikes and I usually have to buy them as framesets to make that economical. This one is already there in that regard.
Yeah my main concern was the age of the frame
Old 08-08-23, 12:12 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Friedrich
Yeah my main concern was the age of the frame
The only concerns is if there is damage. I have two 20+ year old CF bikes that still get ridden regularly, and ride just as good as they always have.
Old 08-08-23, 01:10 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
You can part out that Chorus 10 drivetrain for around $500 on eBay if everything works well. I did it 3 years ago. The brifters are especially valuable. So based on that, it's a low risk purchase. However, I would want to make sure that 20 year old carbon frame and bars are in good condition before I actually rode it.
Old 08-08-23, 01:33 PM
himespau 

Those bars look a lot newer than the rest of the bike.

Old 08-08-23, 01:40 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Accurate, but not really concerning, IMO. It's not uncommon for people to change handlebars. Looks to me like it was probably an upgrade to a snazzy integrated CF bar/stem.
Old 08-08-23, 01:50 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Those bars retailed for about $500 by themselves and are probably worth well over $100 on eBay also. As a parts bike, this bike could be very profitable if you decide not to ride it.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 08-08-23, 02:17 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Look is a high end, cool bike. The one you're looking at is old which might never be an issue. But for someone who is not familiar with the fit and use of a road bike, my opinon is that you should try to find a new bike from a local shop that you can afford. It's nowhere near $500, but I think you can get a perfectly servicable, name brand bike from a local shop for close to $1,000. A good shop selling a standard, well-known bike brand will make sure it fits and is adjusted to work well. Even the cheapest components will work very well.

A low end, new, properly adjusted and supported (by the local shop) that fits you will be much, much better than a high end used bike that might not fit you, might not have the gearing suitable for you as a new road bike rider, and might need repair and replacement of old used parts or replacement of parts just to make it fit you. And that doesn't even consider whether the 20+ year old frame is sound. (I'm not a CF paranoic, but still would wonder about a used CF frame with unknown usage)

I'm saying this as someone who often buys used bikes, but I've had road bikes and built and maintained them myself since the 70s. My first bike, back then, was used and bought with little or no knowledge and it was a royal PITA. My friends- at the time - who bought new bikes from a shop had much better luck and they worked much better. This is even more true now in that, like I said, even the lowest end road components work perfectly.

Last edited by Camilo; 08-08-23 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-08-23, 02:22 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by Eric F
Accurate, but not really concerning, IMO. It's not uncommon for people to change handlebars. Looks to me like it was probably an upgrade to a snazzy integrated CF bar/stem.
Oh yeah of course. The previous poster had said something worrying about 20 year old bars and frame, and I was just replying that the bars at least weren't 20 years old (and implying that they might have value on their own as below).
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
Those bars retailed for about $500 by themselves and are probably worth well over $100 on eBay also. As a parts bike, this bike could be very profitable if you decide not to ride it.
OP, I'd say try to get it for a bit less (asking $400 might have them stop responding to you, but $25 or maybe even $50 off might be a reasonable ask), but, if it's in working condition, there are no cracks AND IT FITS YOU, $500 isn't too bad a price for a rider. If you were hoping to buy it to flip it, I don't see you getting a ton more than that (unless you part it out), but $500 seems to be reasonable for that bike if you plan to keep and ride it, if that fits your budget.

Likes For himespau:
Old 08-08-23, 04:12 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3675 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
The frame and the group could both be considered modern classics. For the cost of a Wally bike, don't see how you could go wrong. If it fits and the frame isn't cracked....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-09-23, 10:25 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 318 Posts
The other way to look at this is you probably won't find another bike that's better for the price (assuming no cracks, everything shifts well, etc).

Keep in mind this is a race bike. This was raced in the pro peloton 20 years ago. The fit will be aggressive.

Last edited by tFUnK; 08-09-23 at 01:36 PM.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 08-09-23, 08:57 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
That bike is very early CF. And those Campy parts are the earlier version of Chorus 10sp. I ride an 18 year old Kuota with the newer Chorus 10 and even my bike looks to be newer. My bike is definitely old school. I bought it new way back then, and at 68 years old don't see the need for anything more. About 5 years ago I was tempted after riding a new bike with all the latest, but refrained when my wife gave me that look.

I'd pass on it. Look for a newer CF bike. Even a 10 year old one would be a much better choice.
Likes For zacster:
Old 08-10-23, 06:06 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
For a first road bike...I wouldn't do it. You'd be investing $500 in a (carbon) bike that is entering its twilight years. I may ride well for a long time yet, or not. You may know what to look for when you inspect it..or not. If the OP was well-versed in road bikes and was buying it as a cool N+1 then..go for it. But as a first bike, when your knowledge of what kind of riding and comfort you'll end up seeking is as close to zero as it will ever be,..it's not a good time to invest 5 bills in a bike that is..like this. There's LOTS of road bikes out there and it isn't hard to find one that is in like new condition. If you buy right, you can sell it (as you continue to learn what you want) with minimal or no depreciation.

(I have nothing against older bikes..my bikes are all 30 years old and they work, fit, and ride perfectly..I have no plans to "upgrade" any time soon)
Likes For fishboat:
Old 08-10-23, 07:38 AM
Friedrich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
For a first road bike...I wouldn't do it. You'd be investing $500 in a (carbon) bike that is entering its twilight years. I may ride well for a long time yet, or not. You may know what to look for when you inspect it..or not. If the OP was well-versed in road bikes and was buying it as a cool N+1 then..go for it. But as a first bike, when your knowledge of what kind of riding and comfort you'll end up seeking is as close to zero as it will ever be,..it's not a good time to invest 5 bills in a bike that is..like this. There's LOTS of road bikes out there and it isn't hard to find one that is in like new condition. If you buy right, you can sell it (as you continue to learn what you want) with minimal or no depreciation.

(I have nothing against older bikes..my bikes are all 30 years old and they work, fit, and ride perfectly..I have no plans to "upgrade" any time soon)

Yeah but the point is that with my budget 10 yo cf bikes (even the entry level ones) go for 700/750 $ at least
Old 08-10-23, 09:28 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Yeah but the point is that with my budget 10 yo cf bikes (even the entry level ones) go for 700/750 $ at least
Certainly a good point, but even for a rider who has some 'road' experience and wants versatility, this is a great option...
Things I hadn't mentioned, For 'one bike' versatility, a good 'triple' like this is super & well worth even a bit more cost. A 53/39/30 combo with a close ratio cassette means you have smooth gearing transitions in the entire range, which can easily cover any needed gear ratio without unnerving jumps because of wide ratio jumps.
I had a triple from that era Chorus, worked like a watch... a bit sorry I sold the bike...
And the brakes were awesome smooth (with good pads...).
Honestly $500 doesn't get you anything in cycling these days, unless there's a real 'find'.
Even a $1000 is barely a starting point, these days.
Most the the BF audience here would think twice about spending only $500 on a set of wheels... LOL!
I've ridden older LOOKs, althought not this model, they were also wonderful, quick, fun riding bikes.
And they always brought on a conversation with anyone who knew 'cycling'...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 08-10-23, 09:42 AM
himespau 

Oh yeah of course. The previous poster had said something worrying about 20 year old bars and frame, and I was just replying that the bars at least weren't 20 years old (and implying that they might have value on their own as below).

OP, I'd say try to get it for a bit less (asking $400 might have them stop responding to you, but $25 or maybe even $50 off might be a reasonable ask), but, if it's in working condition, there are no cracks AND IT FITS YOU, $500 isn't too bad a price for a rider. If you were hoping to buy it to flip it, I don't see you getting a ton more than that (unless you part it out), but $500 seems to be reasonable for that bike if you plan to keep and ride it, if that fits your budget.
I should qualify this that I was saying to try to get it for less because (unless it's a screaming deal) I'm always hopeful to get a bit less than asking for things. If I didn't have to do repairs, and if the frame was in good shape, and if it fit me, and if I was looking for a CF road bike, and if I was happy with the tire clearance, I would definitely pay $500 for this bike. If one of those "if"s didn't turn out to be met, I'd have to reconsider, but yeah, I'd go for it.

Old 08-10-23, 09:51 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
..shrug..it's your decision and you'll live with the outcome whichever direction you go. You asked for advice..and you're getting it from a number of folks. You sound a bit young..and convinced that 18 pound carbon is the only option(marketing and peer pressure does work). I'm an old fart(that's been biking for 45 years) and realize there are many options. 18 pounds is nice..but it ain't a heck of a lot different than 20lbs...unless you race, at a high level.

If you're buying used I'd avoid "entry level" anything. "Entry level" anything is made to a price point that necessitates compromises to get to that price point...compromises that typically aren't great. Carbon, aluminum, steel, titanium..whatever..buying entry level is a bad investment. As is buying any bike that is well past it's prime simply due to it (finally) declining into your budget range. It's like buying a BMW with 175,000 miles on it..well..it's a BMW..

For the sake of comparison..I've purchased a number of Lemond bikes, Reynolds 853 tubing or titanium, that when new, in today's dollars, ran close to $4k each. I paid $500-$1000 for them. They ride as good today as when someone first purchased them. If they've made it this far, I expect that will still be the case for some time to come. Bikes like this may be older in age, but they are not old in materials or design. The geometry and materials are with us today(tubing it still easily available and used by custom and semi-custom builders) for around $4k.

Point is, for $500 you can find some really nice, at one time very pricey, used bikes(even carbon ones) in very good condition. There's no reason to buy something that's approaching old age, particularly if you're not fluent in what you're buying.

Buy it, don't buy it..doesn't matter to me. It's your money and either way you'll probably learn something.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 08-10-23, 03:07 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Point is, for $500 you can find some really nice, at one time very pricey, used bikes(even carbon ones) in very good condition. There's no reason to buy something that's approaching old age, particularly if you're not fluent in what you're buying.
I agree but think the Look in the OP seems to fit the description of a very nice bike for $500. I also agree that it's crucial that OP needs to know what they're trying to shop for (ie, intended use cases).
Likes For tFUnK:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.