Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Snapped my chain, gouged my frame :(

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-10, 06:31 PM
AtomicCactus

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Tarmac Elite, 2001 CCM Heat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was biking the other day when I encountered a 15% grade. So, I dialed it up and when I did I heard a snap, and then a sickening crunch. Luckily, I was able to clip out before hitting the ground. Not-so-luckily, I inspected my frame and saw that the chain, after being snapped seemed to have bunched up between the chainrings and downtube and cause some damage (pics at the end).

I took it to the LBS, and they said my frame was toast. They would look into the Specialized crash replacement program and notify me of the cost. I was wondering, what are my best options to take?

1. Check my insurance policy, see if bike damage is covered ($500 deductible).
2. Go with crash-replacement frame (est. $1000).
3. Get repaired by Calfee ($~300, + the rest of the riding season).
4. Buy cheap frame off eBay.
5. Talk to the chain manufacturer and take it up with them?
6. Anything else?

Any help in this matter would be very much appreciated! On the bright side, I'm cross-training more than I normally would .

Old 07-07-10, 06:34 PM
jayvo86

Bikes: '06 Trek 1000, '09 Gary Fisher Supercaliber, '10 Trek XO2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! Completely toast? Just looks like a chip to me, but I don't know much about CF fames. Kind of makes me leery about going CF for myself.
Old 07-07-10, 06:37 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by jayvo86
Wow! Completely toast? Just looks like a chip to me, but I don't know much about CF fames. Kind of makes me leery about going CF for myself.
See those frayed fibers? That means it's compromised, and toast.
Old 07-07-10, 06:39 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
5 will get you 10 the "taking it up with the chain mfg." is a fruitless endeavor. I would Calfee the thing.

Edit- My reasoning is simply the cost issue. $300 bucks is a lot easier to take than a grand, and 700 bones can go to your next frame in a year or so. Granted, the frame is tied up at Calfee, but I would rather just have the frame mended and move on.

Last edited by Erzulis Boat; 07-07-10 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-07-10, 06:40 PM
jayvo86

Bikes: '06 Trek 1000, '09 Gary Fisher Supercaliber, '10 Trek XO2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
See those frayed fibers? That means it's compromised, and toast.
So does this mean I should really think about the possibility replacing the frame after something like that or a crash on the CF bike I'm planning on buying?
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Wow that sucks. Did you have like a ton of miles on the chain??
pinoy92231

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would try the all options starting from the cheapest option. I would contact the chain manufacturer and see what they say. Good luck.
Old 07-07-10, 06:43 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
i doubt any insurance policy you have would cover a bike damaged riding.

i know calfee does some good work, but if it were me, i'd toss the frame and hunt for something new. that will get you back on the road the fastest.
Old 07-07-10, 06:44 PM
BikingGrad80
that bike nut

Bikes: 2010 Motobecane Immortal Force 90' Trek 1400; 90' Trek 850; 06' Trek 520; 01 Iron Horse Victory

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
How common are 10 speed chains breaking? I keep hearing stories. I've never broken a chain before and don't carry a chain tool when I ride. However I ride mainly 9 speed. BTW do report this to Shimano. Could be a QC issue.

Last edited by BikingGrad80; 07-07-10 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-07-10, 06:44 PM
SkinnyLegs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4 because it's a reasonably cheap option and would get you back on the road fastest.
Old 07-07-10, 06:47 PM
thirdgenbird

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
what size frame do you need?
Old 07-07-10, 06:49 PM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That sucks. I had something similar happen. I had some chain suck and it got lodged in my BB area. It only scratched the coating of the frame though, so it's nothing I'm worried about.
Old 07-07-10, 06:55 PM
AtomicCactus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jayvo86
Haha, yeah that's what the LBS said. They said the damaged section is all squishy and the damage goes down fairly deep. When I recommend road bikes to my friends (poor college student demographic), I usually say go with an Al frame.

Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
5 will get you 10 the "taking it up with the chain mfg." is a fruitless endeavor. I would Calfee the thing.

Edit- My reasoning is simply the cost issue. $300 bucks is a lot easier to take than a grand, and 700 bones can go to your next frame in a year or so. Granted, the frame is tied up at Calfee, but I would rather just have the frame mended and move on.
I'm leaning towards the Calfee thing. Yeah, I don't think taking it up with Shimano would yield great, expedient results.

Originally Posted by datlas
Wow that sucks. Did you have like a ton of miles on the chain??
Not at all! In fact I'm kind of ashamed to say I had less than 3500 km on that chain...

Originally Posted by pinoy92231
I would try the all options starting from the cheapest option. I would contact the chain manufacturer and see what they say. Good luck.
I guess an e-mail wouldn't hurt, good thinking!

Originally Posted by AngryScientist
i doubt any insurance policy you have would cover a bike damaged riding.

i know calfee does some good work, but if it were me, i'd toss the frame and hunt for something new. that will get you back on the road the fastest.
Yeah, I think it is only for theft or damage while parked at residence. I've heard good things about Calfee. I can't bear thinking about tossing my frame! It's just a little gouge! Haha... oh dear.

Originally Posted by BikingGrad80
How common are 10 speed chains breaking? I keep hearing stories. I've never broken a chain before and don't carry a chain tool when I ride. However I ride mainly 9 speed. BTW do report this to Shimano. Could be a QC issue.
I'm not too sure. The LBS said they're more common with SRAM chains than Shimano. Nonetheless, that's a good idea. When my laptop went kaput I took it up with the manufacturer and it did turn out to be a QC thing, so might be the same here.

Originally Posted by SkinnyLegs
4 because it's a reasonably cheap option and would get you back on the road fastest.
I also have a MTB, but yeah as far as road riding is concerned... I was also considering sending this to Calfee and buying a TT bike to hold me over until it's back lol.
Old 07-07-10, 06:58 PM
AtomicCactus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
what size frame do you need?
I ride a 56 cm.

Originally Posted by ptle
That sucks. I had something similar happen. I had some chain suck and it got lodged in my BB area. It only scratched the coating of the frame though, so it's nothing I'm worried about.
Dang, that's a close one! I wonder if a chain keeper would prevent all this headache...
Old 07-07-10, 07:05 PM
iam7head

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
snapped mine not too long ago, powering out a corner standing and the chain snapped on me, scratched the chain stay/seat stay drop out and the carbon around it. not where near as bad as your but it's still sucks balls.
Old 07-07-10, 07:47 PM
Dustintendo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
send it to calfee and get a cheap ss/fg to ride till it gets back?
Old 07-07-10, 07:53 PM
CyciumX
Gimme back my gears!

Bikes: Cannondale Caad9-5 2009, Scattante XLR TT 2009, Trek Y-Foil 77 1998

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sh-- you not, but I have a deeper gouge out of the chain stay on my y-foil and I still trust that damn machine under my 215 pound body.
Old 07-07-10, 08:08 PM
citizenerased

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingGrad80
no idea, but I bought a used bike off eBay last year and the chain (campy 10spd, low end I'm guessing) broke on a flat section after less than 500 miles by me. I assume that there weren't that many total miles on it since my cranks and cassette are still smooth after replacing with a KMC chain that's held up for over 1000 miles. I always carry a chain breaker now and a couple missing links since my 6 mile walk home was no fun after that.
Old 07-07-10, 08:14 PM
thirdgenbird

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i wonder how many 10spd chain failures were caused by improper use. both shimano and campagnolo chains require special pins to connect them.

edit:

if you shove one of the peened pins back through the chain i could see it compromising the link in the above manner.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 07-07-10 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-07-10, 08:15 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When that happened on my steel frame, i made repairs with a little bottle of nail polish. Dab-dab-dab, scratch filled, ride on.
Seriously, I'm sorry about the damage, but that's one of the main reasons I like steel.
Specialized may give you some help, but I'll be surprised of the chain people do anything. They'd be admitting liabiity, which isn't about to happen.
Old 07-07-10, 08:53 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
i wonder how many 10spd chain failures were caused by improper use. both shimano and campagnolo chains require special pins to connect them.
This is one of the reasons I like to use the Wippy master links.

However, you can also break a chain using poor technique . I've broken two chains, both on intense grades, and both because I didn't shift properly when going up. Unless the chain is defective, you won't be strong enough to break it -- otherwise it wouldn't survive a hard sprint.

Neither of my broken chains was 10 speed -- those were broken in the early 80's. I always carried a chain tool after that, and only recently stopped carrying one. The only two times I've not been able to finish my ride were due to destroyed wheels, and there's nothing you can do about that anyway.
Old 07-07-10, 10:11 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
If and when I were to get a cf frame I think I would fabricate some stainless steel or aluminum guards and install them using 3M double side tape at critical locations that I have found in the past to be damage prone--like the one in your pic. I would fab the guards to follow the contours and to appear as if factory installed. I might also wrap the right chain stay in an old tube. CF is strong but not tolerant of damage, particularly impact damage or anything that gouges/cuts fibers. A cut fiber is a dead fiber and it cannot be repaired and it DOES affect strength.

Yeah, a steel frame, clean up the scratch, some touch up paint, get back on the road good as new.
Old 07-07-10, 10:26 PM
BikingGrad80
that bike nut

Bikes: 2010 Motobecane Immortal Force 90' Trek 1400; 90' Trek 850; 06' Trek 520; 01 Iron Horse Victory

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I am considering getting a CF bike and was wondering if there is something you can put over the Chainstay to help protect it from the chain should it drop off.
Old 07-08-10, 07:07 AM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone mentioned it but I would get a cheap aluminum frame and transfer components and send the frame to Calfee, then sell cheap AL frame when your frame is returned. Cheapest option while still riding over the next couple of months.
Old 07-08-10, 07:12 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ptle
same here. took off a patch of paint. i looked really carefully at the underlying carbon and it wasn't even scratched. i said 20 hail marys

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.