Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bicyclist causes life threatening injuries to pedestrian

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-11, 06:02 PM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

I hate crossing this street because I'm always afraid of something like this happening. It's pretty rare that bicyclists stop at the red lights on this road regardless if pedestrians are crossing.

https://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BAUL1KB1PH.DTL

The victim, who is in her 60s, was crossing the Embarcadero in a crosswalk with the green light at Mission Street when she was hit by the northbound bicyclist at about 8:30 a.m., said Officer Albie Esparza, a police spokesman.
Old 07-16-11, 06:09 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hope the pedestrian is recovering.
Old 07-16-11, 08:37 PM
Seanholio

Bikes: Vision R40 - recumbent, Gunnar Crosshairs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Running a red light causes a collision. I'm having a heart attack from Not Surprised.
Old 07-16-11, 09:41 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
The bicyclist remained at the scene after the collision and was being interviewed by police, authorities said.

The cyclist screwed up big time, but at least he/she is civilized enough to own up to what he/she did.
Old 07-16-11, 09:49 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
At least the cyclist stopped, unlike so many Hit&Run motorist.

Best wishes to the pedestrian.
Old 07-17-11, 12:34 PM
Commando303

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI

Is this seriously an attempt to pick on cars? The bicyclist did the right thing by remaining at the scene, but he or she should have been vigilant going through a red light, which it's reasonable to suspect he or she wasn't being.
Old 07-17-11, 01:45 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

It is a true statement, pull the burr out of your ass. The cyclist screwed up, knew it and hung around hopefully helping the pedestrian he/she injured and took responsibility. In many, likely most cases, motorist hitting pedestrians or cyclist just take off leaving their victim to die.
Old 07-17-11, 01:48 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It is a true statement, pull the burr out of your ass. The cyclist screwed up, knew it and hung around hopefully helping the pedestrian he/she injured and took responsibility. In many, likely most cases, motorist hitting pedestrians or cyclist just take off leaving their victim to die.
In most cases a cyclist or MV driver stays at the scene.
Old 07-17-11, 02:17 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I know what you are trying to say CB HI. Just your choice of words gave me a chuckle . No offense intended.
Old 07-17-11, 02:29 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by gcottay
Does not seem to be the case in Hawaii. I hope that is true on the mainland.

I have been hit twice, both motorist ran. One of those motorist hit a car two weeks later and ran. A witness in the other case for the driver was a DUI driver that had run when he hit a parked car. I was a witness in a cyclist hit and run case. Most of the many pedestrian deaths in Hawaii have involved a hit and run. Cyclist killed on sidewalk, hit and run. Teenager killed on shoulder on way home from evening shift, hit and run. Newspaper photographer cyclist killed in hit and run, motorist dumped car in gulch and burned it. College fixed gear rider hit on shoulder at night, lighted like christmas tree, hit and run.

On the other side, motorist that hit mom with 2 kids in bike trailer on side path did stop. Tour bus driver the hit air force service member putting him in wheel chair did stop.

That is the ratio of my experience.

Maybe it is just fender benders that you speak of.
Old 07-17-11, 02:32 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by exile
I know what you are trying to say CB HI. Just your choice of words gave me a chuckle . No offense intended.
No offense taken, just playing off the typical news stories - "and the driver never stopped".
Old 07-17-11, 02:52 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Exactly, and uh, correct me if I'm mistaken. But wasn't there at least one case reported recently in which the hit and run driver. Not only hit a cyclist and ran, but stopped got out of his car and picked up the pieces that had come off of his car putting them into it and than drove off?

And IF I remember correctly when he was finally caught he excuse was that he didn't want his 5-year old son to see a dead body.
Old 07-17-11, 05:45 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I have been hit twice, both motorist ran. One of those motorist hit a car two weeks later and ran. A witness in the other case for the driver was a DUI driver that had run when he hit a parked car. I was a witness in a cyclist hit and run case. Most of the many pedestrian deaths in Hawaii have involved a hit and run. Cyclist killed on sidewalk, hit and run. Teenager killed on shoulder on way home from evening shift, hit and run. Newspaper photographer cyclist killed in hit and run, motorist dumped car in gulch and burned it. College fixed gear rider hit on shoulder at night, lighted like christmas tree, hit and run.

On the other side, motorist that hit mom with 2 kids in bike trailer on side path did stop. Tour bus driver the hit air force service member putting him in wheel chair did stop.

Your ratio matches pretty closely to my experience in CA and OR and is pretty close to what gets reported in our local news. (If you don't count the ones that couldn't drive away because there weren't enough working parts left on their pick-up/SUV.)
Old 07-17-11, 06:06 PM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could've hit an old lady that was crossing the street about a month or so back like that. Only in this situation, the light changed against her, almost immediately after she stepped off the sidewalk and into the crosswalk with her walker. A bus blocked the right most lane and everyone else couldn't see her and I couldn't see the light so I moved over a lane and came thru there nice and slow. I did see her, wasn't even a close call and I could've stopped just the same. But when the light changed, I continued thru because I knew/figured the bus wouldn't run her over and the rest of the traffic was going to have to wait until the old lady strolled thru with her walker anyway. I went thru the light as virtually an immediate turn to green and was long gone in short time.
Old 07-17-11, 06:19 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

PS - the one cyclist I know of injuring a pedestrian in Hawaii was doing a fast downhill on the narrow local favorite climbing road. No sidewalks, pedestrian on wrong side of road, cyclist riding too fast to stop for available sight lines.

That cyclist stopped to render aid.
Old 07-17-11, 07:27 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Kid was hit by a car in San Jose. Driver stopped.
Old 07-18-11, 07:22 AM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Your anecdotes are not significant evidence. News reports are not significant evidence. It is undoubted that the vast majority of accidents are in fact reported, usually by both parties, just check the insurance statistics.

The only thing telling about your "statements" are your prejudices. Since the same species both drives and rides bicycles, there is no reason to expect any statistical differences in their behavior...

Last edited by myrridin; 07-18-11 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-18-11, 09:55 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by Commando303
Is this seriously an attempt to pick on cars? The bicyclist did the right thing by remaining at the scene, but he or she should have been vigilant going through a red light, which it's reasonable to suspect he or she wasn't being.
No,the cyclist should have stopped at the red light. That simple. Not be vigilant. Stop.

I saw the TV new clip, his bike appeared pretty messed up, so some speed was involved. It was interesting that while the news guy talked you could easily see 4 or 5 bicylists run the red light at speed. They are using a bike lane, which does not preclude following traffic laws.

If the victim were to die, the cyclist would be facing involuntary manslaughter charges.

Last edited by squirtdad; 07-18-11 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-18-11, 10:25 AM
mnemia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by myrridin
Your anecdotes are not significant evidence. News reports are not significant evidence. It is undoubted that the vast majority of accidents are in fact reported, usually by both parties, just check the insurance statistics.

The only thing telling about your "statements" are your prejudices. Since the same species both drives and rides bicycles, there is no reason to expect any statistical differences in their behavior...
Insurance statistics are not proof that the "vast majority" of "accidents" (collisions is a better word, since negligence on at least one person's fault is usually involved) are reported. I would guess that a) car-bike collisions are more likely to go unreported to insurance, that b) hit-and-run drivers have a larger incentive to not report collisions to insurance than other drivers do, and that c) hit-and-run drivers are more likely to be uninsured (due to an overall pattern of irresponsibility). I would also bet that the more serious the car-bike collision, the more likely the driver is to pull a hit and run.

I can tell you that of the two minor incidents caused by motorists that my wife and I have been involved in while riding (in both cases, a driver caused one of us to crash by severely cutting us off, but didn't actually make contact), neither motorist stopped. Both times, the motorist paused briefly, saw that we were getting up, and then gunned it to get away and escape any consequences. And neither of those incidents was reported to any kind of insurance, so they didn't get counted. I've also witnessed a pedestrian getting severely hit by a turning motorist (to the point of getting thrown up onto the hood), and the driver just took off after they saw that the person was at least semi-"okay", though they didn't stop long enough to really check on that.

I suspect many car-bike and car-pedestrian "accidents" are like that. The drivers mostly don't stick around if there isn't damage to their own car that they need to worry about getting insurance involved on (since without an insurance claim, they don't have need for a police report). Yes, these are anecdotes. But my point is that if my experience is typical, there is simply no way you can regard insurance claims statistics as a comprehensive picture of how motorists behave when they hit cyclists or pedestrians.
Old 07-18-11, 10:54 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by myrridin

In 2008 USA today reported a 20% increase in hit and run deaths.
https://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...n-deaths_x.htm

Other areas too have seen an increase in hit and run collisions.
https://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110706-wpms

Is it possible your response is an indicator of your bias?
Old 07-18-11, 11:22 AM
kevin_stevens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
No,the cyclist should have stopped at the red light. That simple. Not be vigilant. Stop.
+1

KeS
Old 07-18-11, 11:28 AM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
If the victim were to die, the cyclist would be facing involuntary manslaughter charges.
Really? Because that never happens when drivers of motorized vehicles kill pedestrians or cyclists. I think it should, but most often drivers get a fine and maybe lose their licences for a year.

I would love it if operators of all wheeled vehicles, motorized or not, were charged with involuntary manslaughter when they kill pedestrians or cyclists (or indeed drivers or occupants of motorized vehicles) due to careless driving/riding.
Old 07-18-11, 12:17 PM
Brennan

Bikes: Surly X√, Trek Earl

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
If you can stomach it, read through the comments section following the article. A cavalcade of hatred towards all cyclists. This is the perception we have to deal with out there.
Old 07-18-11, 01:29 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gcottay
It seems that the odds of a (car) driver staying at the scene of a collision is much higher if they hit another car than if they hit a cyclist or a pedestrian. At least from what I've heard of from friends, it seems that the odds of a motorist sticking around after hitting a cyclist is around 50%, but in my own experience with car on car collisions the odds are so far 100% sticking around. (Anecdotes, yes, but quite a few of them.)

Perhaps a lot of this is simply physics -- when cars collide, they're often smashed up enough that they're not drive-able. When a car hits a pedestrian, the car can usually drive away.
Old 07-18-11, 01:44 PM
kevin_stevens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brennan
If you can stomach it, read through the comments section following the article. A cavalcade of hatred towards all cyclists. This is the perception we have to deal with out there.
Hmm... the first responses are all of the tone "bicycles should be obeying the traffic laws and stopping at the stop signs".

Then you get:

I hate when pedestrians get in my way. How hard is it to see someone on a bike coming. People, its a lot easier to halt your pace than it is for me to stop my bike. Look where you're going!

This isn't about us cyclists obeying traffic laws. Why should I have to stop at stop signs? I'm on a bicycle! Stop signs are for cars.

I'm sure this woman was more interested in what was playing on her ipod than she was in being aware of her surroundings.
And you're surprised that things deteriorate from there? I'm at the point where I pretty much hate all cyclists, too. And I am one.

KeS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.