Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Computers... How Many Features Do We Need... & Which Ones Offer Great Value ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Computers... How Many Features Do We Need... & Which Ones Offer Great Value ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 07:34 PM
Artfahie

Bikes: Trek FX7.2 Hybrid, Bianchi c2c road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I picked up a road bike yesterday,,, it came with a "Catseye" computer.... "wired", and kind of difficult to read. Aside from it's altogether different programming approach that I have on my Trek hybrid computer, I just can't really read the thing... and can't afford to have to stare-it-down while cruising down the road. So.. it's time for another option... losing focus on riding and risking my being isn't realistic... and I do like clocking my rides. The question... unlike some items electronics are always evolving... if you're happy (or unhappy) with your choice of a bike computer how about sharing some insight.... ??? Thanks.
Old 05-25-16, 07:47 PM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
I got the Sigma BC 14.12 last year for the Altimeter feature. I got the wired version.

Very happy with it. The altimeter seems to be quite accurate. It doesn't give you descending feet, only ascending.

Has all the usual functions besides the altimeter, is easy to use, and even has a backlight although I've never used it.
Old 05-25-16, 07:47 PM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I have a Garmin Edge 20 and it covers all the things I wanted: GPS, speed, time, etc. You can even use it to follow routes (a feature I haven't tried myself yet). In retrospective I should have gotten the 25 model because with that one you can upload your workouts from your phone (I have to connect mine to my laptop via USB). I got the most affordable model because I didn't know if I'd really use it, since I mainly track my rides with my phone. The display numbers are large enough I can peek at them while riding.

My SO doesn't have much luck with technology, he doesn't get how to get the tracking apps started, so I'll be getting him a regular ol' cycling computer so he can track his miles and speed, which is just what he wants (no need for GPS or uploading rides).
Old 05-25-16, 08:06 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
For me, the big thing is being able to use the computer on all three of my bikes, so I've been using a Garmin Edge 200 GPS model for the past few years. If I were to buy a new GPS computer, it would likely be the newer Garmin Edge 25 - that has anout everything I need. I've also used a Planet Bike Protege 9.0 Wireless and a Cateye Strada wireless over the years, and they both worked well for a one-bike setup.
Old 05-25-16, 08:18 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand
For me, the big thing is being able to use the computer on all three of my bikes, so I've been using a Garmin Edge 200 GPS model for the past few years. If I were to buy a new GPS computer, it would likely be the newer Garmin Edge 25 - that has anout everything I need. I've also used a Planet Bike Protege 9.0 Wireless and a Cateye Strada wireless over the years, and they both worked well for a one-bike setup.
I'm a data junkie, use basic wireless Cateye computers and have tracked rides with my iPhone and Endomondo. Then discovered the Garmin swim watch, thus Garmin Connect, then got a Garmin 810, so am now a slave to the GPS.

In theory, the 810 does everything I need as it can use pre-made courses and do turn-by-turn. And it does this very well, as well as tracking rides and has a great customizable display system. Painless uploads and downloads as well.

Trouble is its a really flaky unit and has crashed 3 times in 16 rides. Once more and it's getting returned.
Old 05-25-16, 08:26 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I like the Specialized "SpeedZone Sport" that keeps ending up on my bikes. Inexpensive wired ones that only record mileage in whole numbers, but do everything I need otherwise.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-25-16, 08:38 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I look at the kitchen clock before I leave, and again when I get back. Combine that with my definition of "easy", "medium " or "hard" effort, and that's all I need.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-25-16, 09:27 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Distance , speed and average speed are about all I need . Sigma BC 509 and Cateye Enduro 8 are the only two I have ever owned. I believe both are no longer manufactured . I prefer wired as well .
Old 05-25-16, 09:47 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
"Value" is in the eye of the perceiver. A data junkie. like Steve B, might find value in many functions that a guy like me might find utterly useless. What ever the entry level Garmin is - that's what I've got. Tells me what I want and I can switch it from bike to bike with no programming.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 05-26-16 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-25-16, 09:49 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
This thread hit right at the right time for me. I to am looking for a new computer; however, I'm the kind of guy that misses his old Avocet 20. You know speed, time and odometer. I was all hot to buy a Garmin 520 until I watched a Youtube video on the thing. It unsold me pretty darn quickly. Waay too many buttons to do things. How in the world do you work that thing while riding??

I did get a Cateye Velo wireless and really like it; however, I'd like something that integrates with Strava to. All of them have their pros and cons...Polar, Garmin, etc.

I'll be watching this thread.
Old 05-25-16, 10:40 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
I was all hot to buy a Garmin 520 until I watched a Youtube video on the thing. It unsold me pretty darn quickly. Waay too many buttons to do things. How in the world do you work that thing while riding??
I press the start button at the beginning and end of the ride. Sometimes I'll also press the lap button at the bottom and top of a climb. It has many features but you don't have to use them all.
Old 05-25-16, 11:11 PM
aRoudy1

Bikes: Rans Stratus LE, Terra Trike Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Cateye Padrone; basic functions, large readout.

Old 05-26-16, 02:06 AM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
I have a wireless Cateye Strada and love it. At minimum I need the clock, speed in mph, and an odometer. I do like having the average speed and elapsed time. I wish I had the money to drop on a power meter though.
Old 05-26-16, 03:31 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18379 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Northwestrider
Distance , speed and average speed are about all I need . Sigma BC 509 and Cateye Enduro 8 are the only two I have ever owned. I believe both are no longer manufactured . I prefer wired as well .
I like the current speed, distance, and average speed. Cadence might be nice, but perhaps more for curiosity. So, a basic Bell computer is all I really need.

I have been using Cell Phone Strava or RWGPS lately, but I don't always display it real-time, but sometimes just carry it in the pack.
Old 05-26-16, 03:34 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I bought a Garmin Edge last year and have not looked back. I linked up with Strava and am really enjoying tracking my rides and monitoring my progress during the season. IMO the typical Cateye, Sigma, et. al. are going extinct.
Old 05-26-16, 03:59 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I used to have a few Cateyes, but I use Sigma computers mostly now. My favourite is a wired 1602.

My main recording unit now, however, is my cell phone, a basic Samsung, attached to my stem by a Quad Lock mount. Strava and/or RidewithGPS can be used at will and I get a record of my rides.
Old 05-26-16, 04:04 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I enjoy tracking my mileage, time and average speed but that's enough data for me. So I generally buy simple, basiic computers like the Cateye Miteye or its replacement model. I used to get wireless computers for the cleaner look but have switched to wired versions because the wireless models burn up batteries much quicker and their data gets messed up by traffic lights on my commute route.
Old 05-26-16, 05:09 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by devianb
I have a wireless Cateye Strada and love it. At minimum I need the clock, speed in mph, and an odometer. I do like having the average speed and elapsed time. I wish I had the money to drop on a power meter though.
Used, older model Powertaps are not very expensive.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-26-16, 05:11 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
Factory refurb Garmin Edge 800 on ebay for $170 FTW.
Old 05-26-16, 06:52 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I mostly commute. After 24 years of serious commuting, all I want is distance, current speed, average speed, max speed, current time, total time, and temperature. I like my Planet Bike Protege 9 which has a screen where time and temp are displayed. On my two older bikes I have your basic Schwinn/Bell 9 function device that will display all but cycles only through speeds, and distances. I added a clock and thermometer to those bikes. When I first got a smartphone I played with Strava and other GPS apps and those are pretty nice, just not for me.
Old 05-26-16, 07:42 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using a Bontrager GoTime
( Bontrager GOtime | Trek Bikes )

For the most part I keep it on speed and clock (time of day).
I'll click through the odometer, avg speed etc every so often but not as a matter of routine.
Old 05-26-16, 07:59 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Distance and current speed is all I want from a bike computer. Data capture is a different story, but that may be better served using an additional device.
Old 05-26-16, 08:02 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Bontrager, Cateye, and Sigma computers on different bikes. I like the Cateye Padrone, for its large display. I use it like a speedometer, tracking current speed and either elapsed time (if I'm riding a known course, and trying to better a previous effort), or average speed, which I use to gauge effort.

I do like the looks of the Wahoo RFLKT, which is more of a remote display for the tracking systems on your phone. Nice display, and very configurable.
Old 05-26-16, 08:59 AM
sadisticnoob

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a commute bike i use the btwin count 4 which provides just speed, time, trip distance and odometer.

for the race bike im currently using the bryton rider 310, which provides 70 over parameters, but it includes power,hrm,speed cadence sensor support. a good buy for like 80 eur or so
Old 05-26-16, 09:30 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I use a Garmin Edge 800 and a Garmin Fenix 3 GPS watch. The watch uploads my data over the air which is a big deal for me; it also vibrates with phone notifications; the ABC functions are spectacular; I like the swimming and running features too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.