Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I rode past this one

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

I rode past this one

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-17, 08:24 PM
Zedoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 88 Posts
I rode past this one

Man killed in bicycle accident in Roseville - WXYZ.com

I saw the area set up like a crime scene, then I saw the wrecked bike.
Old 02-25-17, 03:32 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
77, reflexes have to have slowed down by that age. He had a good innings, died doing what he loved.
Old 02-25-17, 07:49 AM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
From the looks of the car, it was quite a severe impact. So likely the car was driving too fast. But as is always the case, no lessons learned. Was the victim wearing a helmet? Was he riding on the road or sidewalk? Was he riding with or against traffic? If just a few more details were provided, it would provide a teaching opportunity for the police.
Old 02-25-17, 08:45 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
unless you have a giant balloon protecting your spleen, there is no protective device that will help in that sort of high-speed rear-end collision. I hope they check the driver's cell records.
Old 02-25-17, 10:19 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I hate how they say the driver stopped and he is cooperating, like that absolves him of any responsibility in this. And the whole "was the victim wearing a helmet" statement above, does it matter? If you are hit by a car at speed, a piece of styrofoam on your head won't save your life.
Old 02-25-17, 12:12 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
77, reflexes have to have slowed down by that age.
Maybe. Then again, he could have been fit like Jack LaLanne (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_LaLanne)
Originally Posted by Hokiedad4
From the looks of the car, it was quite a severe impact. So likely the car was driving too fast. But as is always the case, no lessons learned. Was the victim wearing a helmet? Was he riding on the road or sidewalk? Was he riding with or against traffic? If just a few more details were provided, it would provide a teaching opportunity for the police.
No mention of a helmet, reflective riding attire, or even lights.
Originally Posted by unterhausen
unless you have a giant balloon protecting your spleen, there is no protective device that will help in that sort of high-speed rear-end collision. I hope they check the driver's cell records.
Agreed. I was rear-ended in a dual-turn lane, almost ten years ago. While waiting to merge into S/B traffic. When a driver heading the same direction, had just come out of a local mini-mall and slammed right into me. I went flying but no broken bones or other injuries. I am athletic even in my 40's. So, Maybe my athleticism kept me from being injured, who knows.
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I hate how they say the driver stopped and he is cooperating, like that absolves him of any responsibility in this. And the whole "was the victim wearing a helmet" statement above, does it matter? If you are hit by a car at speed, a piece of styrofoam on your head won't save your life.
Agreed. Cooperation doesn't absolve them of responsibility.
Old 02-25-17, 12:23 PM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
And the whole "was the victim wearing a helmet" statement above, does it matter? If you are hit by a car at speed, a piece of styrofoam on your head won't save your life.
Yes, the specific circumstances aren't important and won't bring the poor guy back from the dead, but from a prevention point of view, all data is helpful.
Old 02-25-17, 12:27 PM
TenSpeedV2

Originally Posted by Hokiedad4
Yes, the specific circumstances aren't important and won't bring the poor guy back from the dead, but from a prevention point of view, all data is helpful.
Including what the driver may have been doing while driving, right?
Old 02-25-17, 12:54 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Including what the driver may have been doing while driving, right?

Yes. Like whether the rider was wearing a helmet or not and whether the driver was distracted/impaired.
Old 02-25-17, 12:57 PM
TenSpeedV2

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Yes. Like whether the rider was wearing a helmet or not and whether the driver was distracted/impaired.
Unless there are mandatory helmet laws, if they were wearing a helmet or not doesn't matter.
Old 02-25-17, 01:02 PM
TenSpeedV2

Also, the title is wrong. It should read, Man killed in car vs bicycle crash. The term accident is used incorrectly so many times in cases like this. If it was vehicle vs vehicle, it would say, Man killed in car crash.

Judging by the title of the article, all blame is placed onto the cyclist, no matter if they were at fault or not.
Old 02-27-17, 05:41 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I hate how they say the driver stopped and he is cooperating, like that absolves him of any responsibility in this.
At least the motorist did the right thing after the fact rather than running like a coward. Perhaps its wise to give that some recognition lest it become another excuse to run? Just a thought, not an argument.
Old 02-27-17, 06:09 PM
atbman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
77, reflexes have to have slowed down by that age. He had a good innings, died doing what he loved.
Will be that age this year. Reflexes have slowed down. On the other hand, it must be 25/30 years or more since I had to do an emergency stop - perhaps the additional experience and better traffic judgement of those years reduces the need for the quick reflexes needed for emergency stops?

And would be seriously pissed off if my present good innings were to be cut short. I'd rather continue doing the things I love for a while longer thank you very much.

Whippersnapper
Old 02-28-17, 02:06 AM
coominya

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by atbman
Will be that age this year. Reflexes have slowed down. On the other hand, it must be 25/30 years or more since I had to do an emergency stop - perhaps the additional experience and better traffic judgement of those years reduces the need for the quick reflexes needed for emergency stops?

And would be seriously pissed off if my present good innings were to be cut short. I'd rather continue doing the things I love for a while longer thank you very much.

Whippersnapper
I don't blame you, lets hope you have many more years. Perhaps you better practice a few emergency stops now, before you NEED to do one.
Old 03-01-17, 09:13 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate how they say the driver stopped and he is cooperating, like that absolves him of any responsibility in this.
In many, if not most cases, it actually does.
Unless impairment is proven or there's hit-&-run, there are no charges for killing a bicyclist or pedestrian with a car.
And the whole "was the victim wearing a helmet" statement above, does it matter?
Ahh, yes - but they failed to inform us if the driver was wearing a seat-belt.
Maybe we should have the media inquire whether or not the driver was wearing a helmet or had on proper shoes/attire?
Maybe he/she was wearing white after Labor Day for crying out loud..

(btw.. none of it matters)
Old 03-01-17, 09:18 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Only perfect victim status would make this problematic for most of the (driving) populace.

Neither drugs nor alcohol are believed to be an accident in the crash.
Journalism at its finest.
Old 03-01-17, 09:52 AM
chopsteeks

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Where did you gather the details of the accident ? I have not heard nor read any report that the driver of the car was at fault ?
Old 03-01-17, 11:55 AM
TenSpeedV2

Originally Posted by FenderTL5
In many, if not most cases, it actually does.
Unless impairment is proven or there's hit-&-run, there are no charges for killing a bicyclist or pedestrian with a car.

Ahh, yes - but they failed to inform us if the driver was wearing a seat-belt.
Maybe we should have the media inquire whether or not the driver was wearing a helmet or had on proper shoes/attire?
Maybe he/she was wearing white after Labor Day for crying out loud..

(btw.. none of it matters)
I cannot be the only one that sees a big problem with this, right?
Old 03-01-17, 12:07 PM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cannot be the only one that sees a big problem with this, right?
You are not alone.
Old 03-01-17, 01:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts

Why do you infer that? It's a standard journalistic tool to convey that this was not a hit and run.
Old 03-01-17, 02:59 PM
TenSpeedV2

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Why do you infer that? It's a standard journalistic tool to convey that this was not a hit and run.
I see what you are saying. I just hate that it is mentioned, just like "the cyclist was not wearing a helmet" and similar statements. It doesn't change anything about the incident in question.
Old 03-01-17, 04:14 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
I think it has as much to do with word count as anything else. They've gotta do something to bulk up those column inches. It would be nice if they used terms like "cyclist killed", "cyclist murdered", "driver collided with...", "driver ran over", "driver failed to pay due care and attention to (whatever traffic law they broke), etc... to accurately convey the situation as it happened. They also consistantly forget to mention the cyclists right to be on the road as traffic. This plays into the prejudice that cyclists aren't traffic, they are in the way of traffic. The ideal headline, in my mind, would be: "Road user killed by another driver violating law, again. Driver being charged with..."

As long as we're all about column inches, let's tell what actually happened in a clear and consice manner. These content free sound bite stories don't do much to inform the public. Inform the public!

Car dependency is a tax.

Last edited by base2; 03-01-17 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-01-17, 04:31 PM
coominya

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
We have no protection from cars and never will, and to wait for the driving public to be more alert is just wishful thinking IMO. We as cyclists need to take collective action if we want to be safe on the roads! We need a complete revolution in this area of our lives and I for one am leading the way. I do my major riding on Sunday mornings, before any traffic builds up. I never ride on main roads outside of these times and often use footpaths to avoid major intersections. I stick to the back roads and side streets as a rule and if I want more exercise I ride in hilly environments. At the end of the day personal safety is up to the individual and riding 2 abreast and 3 abreast up a road as though you were on a racetrack is not a good solution to the risks we face IMO.
Old 03-01-17, 04:55 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Journalism at its finest.
So drugs and alcohol were intentional?
Old 03-01-17, 05:10 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
True, but the journalists working at the news paper, or the talking heads at the media outlet can do an aweful lot to shape public opinion by presenting a whole and complete story. Canned phrases don't do anyone any service. Reporting what actually happens in a comprehensive manner obliterates prejudice.

As vulnerable road users, we have nothing to lose and lots to gain by constant journalistic attention and a fair portrayal of events. The news more often than not with these canned stories facilitates victim blaming by leaving the story open to readers anti-cycling prejudice. The lack of information leaves the reader to make up the story that fits their view.

More accurate headlines that would make drivers think twice:
"Speeding driver claims cyclist appeared out of nowhere."
"Local road known for speeding, Driver claims accident."
"Driver failed to give 3 feet per state law"
"Stop sign runner pulls out in front of cyclist, cyclist in hospital, driver cited."
"Cyclist base2, a licensed commercial driver with a CDL with haz-mat and tanker endorsements broke 3 bones when a driver made an illegal left turn." (hypothetical, didn't really happen. But if it did, I'd like the story to be run this way)

Maybe we could get a fair shake with a "how it's paid for" series on the local news to dispel any beliefs that gas tax and car tabs are the only means of paying for the road. Bill it to the broadcasters public service mandate.

My point is cyclists break the law at half the rate of automobiles yet are accused of being roadway anarchists. So, gain little sympathy. A few true words by reporters once in a while to keep drivers sense of entitlment in check wouldn't hurt.

Last edited by base2; 03-01-17 at 10:55 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.