Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

You Go Wichita: Toilet Plunger Based Safety

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-17, 09:33 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts

As far as awareness efforts go...this one does make me smirk a bit...

Mysterious plungers pop up along Wichita bike lane | KSN-TV
Old 03-01-17, 09:50 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
So the cyclist who put the plungers down and the cyclist who was interviewed do not know jack about cycling safety. They would rather get right hooked at the last second rather than have a motorist properly merge into the bike lane for a safe right turn. The city also does not know jack since the bike lane was not painted with dashed lines near the intersection.

Sad what the pro-bikelane advocates have given us.
Old 03-01-17, 10:42 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
I have lived in places that allow early entry into the bike lane for right turners and those that prohibit until the stop line. Overall, the dashed line let them enter well before the intersection seems to work better to me. CB_HI is correct about the right hook enhancing nature of the do not cross the solid line places.
Old 03-02-17, 12:29 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I also agree the solid to the intersection bike lanes are inferior to the dashed line bike lanes that encourage motorists to move right to turn.
Some motorists don't have the sense to check for bikes in the bike lane before turning, and some cyclists don't have the sense to not pass on the right in the intersection
Old 03-02-17, 02:05 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Yeah, too bad we as a society do not train all road users in a consistent manner on how to share the road with one another. Nor do we, as a nation, have consistent rules and markings from state to state.
Old 03-02-17, 03:10 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by genec
Yeah, too bad we as a society do not train all road users in a consistent manner on how to share the road with one another. Nor do we, as a nation, have consistent rules and markings from state to state.
The national guidelines are consistent for rules and markings and are mostly accepted. It is the learning and following of the national guidelines that is lacking by some states but mostly by local traffic engineers and road painters. The understanding of and placement of sharrows is the best example I can think of - the guidelines and meaning are very clear but the local implementation is terrible.
Old 03-02-17, 03:21 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
The national guidelines are consistent for rules and markings and are mostly accepted. It is the learning and following of the national guidelines that is lacking by some states but mostly by local traffic engineers and road painters. The understanding of and placement of sharrows is the best example I can think of - the guidelines and meaning are very clear but the local implementation is terrible.
The lack of consistent instruction to all road users is what is largely lacking... neither drivers, or cyclists are taught how to properly deal with one another in any overall meaningful way; the end result is "terrible local implementation," as you put it... or every road crew interpreting the rules as they think they work.

The solution is teaching "road use" in a consistent manner in schools, and including bikes and cars as "traffic," throughout the lessons.
Old 03-02-17, 06:07 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
From the article.....Wichita police said the person responsible for putting the plungers on the road could get a ticket for littering.
Someone is trying to raise safety awareness and the police could possible ticket those responsible? Really?
Old 03-02-17, 10:12 AM
howsteepisit

Originally Posted by IndianaRecRider
Someone is trying to raise safety awareness and the police could possible ticket those responsible? Really?
I think that littering would be getting off easy. Allowing people to place their own traffic control devices on public roads is a very bad and highly dangerous activity. At least traffic engineers make some attempt at standardization and reasoned logic before placing control devices. before I am flamed we all may not agree with the logic or standards used, but there is some effort.

Last edited by howsteepisit; 03-02-17 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-02-17, 10:18 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
I think that littering would be getting off easy. Allowing people to place their own traffic control devices on public roads is a veery bad and highly dangerous activity. At least traffic engineers make some attempt at standardization and reasoned logic before placing control devices. before I am flamed we all may not agree with the logic or standards used, but there is some effort.
Placing unauthorized traffic control devices on a public road is illegal.
Old 03-02-17, 10:24 AM
howsteepisit

Originally Posted by kickstart
Placing unauthorized traffic control devices on a public road is illegal.
Apparently in Indiana its a respected and sought after behavior.
Old 03-02-17, 11:17 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just for fun on-topic discussion look up "Tactical urbanism"
Some (certainly not all) cities/mayors/officials actually encourage the concept.
Old 03-02-17, 11:33 AM
howsteepisit

Originally Posted by FenderTL5
just for fun on-topic discussion look up "Tactical urbanism"
Some (certainly not all) cities/mayors/officials actually encourage the concept.
OK I did. My impression is that this concept does not involve single or small groups of citizens deciding to violate the laws governing street barricades without discussing and seeking approval of the controlling jurisdiction. However, if it is the case that tactical urbanism has become a anarchic "I govern my spot how I please" it seems like a foolish idea whose time will pass.

Edit: BTW I did not find it to be a fun exercise so I will not be discussing the concept further.
Old 03-02-17, 11:55 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Edit: BTW I did not find it to be a fun exercise..
Tactical Urbanism is also commonly referred to as guerilla urbanism, pop-up urbanism, city repair, or D.I.Y. urbanism.

https://the-city-space.com/2013/08/1...m-or-activism/

"One of the key assets of guerrilla urbanism is its element of surprise. I would never think to paint my own bike lane in a street.. Yet guerrilla urbanism invites this subversive act. Guerrilla urbanism says, “Don’t wait for someone else to fix it. Do it yourself.”
Old 03-02-17, 12:02 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
However, if it is the case that tactical urbanism has become a anarchic "I govern my spot how I please" it seems like a foolish idea whose time will pass.
The world is not binary.

For example, PARK(ING) DAY began when someone fed the parking meter all day long and setup a pop-up park in the parking spot. Now, it is a semi-organized, with permitted events around the world:

Originally Posted by mr_bill
PARK(ing) Day 2015 - in front of Joie de Vivre on Mass Ave between Porter and Harvard Square. There were parklets popping up all over today.

Technically, "yarn bombing" a bridge is littering, yet removing such litter seems to be very low on the priority scale (sigh, the domain got go-daddied , facebook page at www.facebook.com/thejoiningproject ):

Originally Posted by mr_bill
All over this weekend.

To Harvard Bridge Yarn Bomb:

And when the city was *very* slow to put in flex posts, one local took matters into their own, uh, flowerpots.

The temporary "as-built" definitely was different than the designs, but the city wisely let the ad-hoc remain until the semi-permanent posts were installed.

(And even more wisely, learned to be tactical themselves. After the paint goes down, the city workers themselves now place temporary cones as needed while waiting for the more-permanent install.)

When done well, with mutual respect, with formal or informal planning, it can be effective.

Executed poorly (like the OP) on the other hand, and you'll make the local evening news, but the install will probably be gone before the broadcast is aired. It might even be gone before the TV crews get to the location.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-02-17 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-02-17, 12:35 PM
howsteepisit

Originally Posted by FenderTL5
Tactical Urbanism is also commonly referred to as guerilla urbanism, pop-up urbanism, city repair, or D.I.Y. urbanism.

https://the-city-space.com/2013/08/1...m-or-activism/

"One of the key assets of guerrilla urbanism is its element of surprise. I would never think to paint my own bike lane in a street.. Yet guerrilla urbanism invites this subversive act. Guerrilla urbanism says, “Don’t wait for someone else to fix it. Do it yourself.”
Yes and I find painting of your own traffic control lines as a foolish idea. Not trying to get too political but this example is a fancy name for failure of local government to be responsive and a anarchic response to the same.
Old 03-03-17, 05:53 AM
Cyclist0084

I think that littering would be getting off easy. Allowing people to place their own traffic control devices on public roads is a very bad and highly dangerous activity. At least traffic engineers make some attempt at standardization and reasoned logic before placing control devices. before I am flamed we all may not agree with the logic or standards used, but there is some effort.
Okay, good point.

Old 03-03-17, 05:54 AM
Cyclist0084

Apparently in Indiana its a respected and sought after behavior.
You bet'cha!! Us Hoosiers are a stubborn and rebellious lot.

Old 03-04-17, 01:13 PM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IndianaRecRider
u new on this planet?
Old 03-04-17, 03:01 PM
Cyclist0084

Originally Posted by italktocats
u new on this planet?
Nope, I've been around for quite a while.

Have a nice day.
Old 03-07-17, 08:43 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 132 Posts
So - back in reality - I understand what the masked plunger bandit was trying to do, but it really is better to pass a right turning car on the left (if a full right turn lane to right of bike lane), or follow behind them after they merge into the bike lane if no right turn lane.

This is why separated bike lanes are treacherous unless left AND right turns are heavily restricted.
Old 03-07-17, 10:05 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
As far as awareness efforts go...this one does make me smirk a bit...

Mysterious plungers pop up along Wichita bike lane | KSN-TV

Toilet plungers seem to pop up in A&S at least 1-2 times a year, no big surprise to me...
Old 05-22-17, 09:20 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Bikeyfaced?

-mr. bill
Old 05-22-17, 01:07 PM
RogerB

Bikes: Ridley Fenix Disc '15, Centurion Ironman '86, Raleigh Team '90, Bianchi Nyala '93

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
So the cyclist who put the plungers down and the cyclist who was interviewed do not know jack about cycling safety. They would rather get right hooked at the last second rather than have a motorist properly merge into the bike lane for a safe right turn. The city also does not know jack since the bike lane was not painted with dashed lines near the intersection.

Sad what the pro-bikelane advocates have given us.

The right turn lane is to the right of the bike lane.
Old 05-22-17, 04:30 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by RogerB
The right turn lane is to the right of the bike lane.
No, look closer. What you are calling a right turn lane, is in fact a parking lane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.