Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Is BRP safe for solo rider?

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-18, 06:45 AM
Tesgin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've been thinking of doing the full Blue Ridge Parkway, from Cherokee to Waynesboro, as a solo rider. I'm wondering about safety issues. Is it safe to do it by myself?

I'm comfortable with the climbs and the distance (though it'll be a challenge), and there's a good deal of planning that would have to go into it, but I'm wondering about safety in terms of predators or malicious people that would deliberately harm a solo bicyclist. I'm not thinking so much in terms of traffic, per se, but in terms of those long stretches of road where there are no other vehicles, no towns, no bicyclists, and a car of rowdy people shows up and realizes you're by yourself.

Is there any history of violence or assaults or the like on the parkway? Is that something I should be concerned about?

I hate to even have to ask questions like that, but I recognize it's unwise not to. I've searched the forums and haven't found anything on this.

Thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tesgin
Old 03-10-18, 07:31 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3677 Post(s)
Liked 5,442 Times in 2,765 Posts
The NPS should be able to provide you with a list of "incidents" that have occurred along any particular stretch. If you see a lot of car break ins, etc. you know the locals are using it as a hunting ground. In any event, if you are a male cyclist and actually riding (not hanging about a pull off) you should be fine. Unfortunately, as is the case anywhere, this would not apply to solo females
Old 03-10-18, 10:42 AM
Tesgin

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
The NPS should be able to provide you with a list of "incidents" that have occurred along any particular stretch. If you see a lot of car break ins, etc. you know the locals are using it as a hunting ground. In any event, if you are a male cyclist and actually riding (not hanging about a pull off) you should be fine. Unfortunately, as is the case anywhere, this would not apply to solo females
Thank you for that. Interestingly, this article (https://www.citizen-times.com/story/...rise/22765405/) summarizes that per the law enforcement division of the parkway, there were 313 motor vehicle accidents in 2014; of those, only 2 involved bicycles and motor vehicles. Impressive. Speaks well for those of us who are bicyclists.

Now, I wasn't asking about accidents per se, but thought I'd at least share that stat.

I will continue to research and will post if I find any information on aggressive/violent crimes on the parkway.

Anyone with more info, your input is most appreciated.

Thanks, shelbyfv.

TB

Last edited by Tesgin; 03-10-18 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-11-18, 06:39 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
User @merlinextraligh has ridden significant portions of the Blue Ridge Parkway solo including much of Georgia and the Carolinas this past summer.

I was going to do it north to south as a credit card tour about a decade ago but life got in the way. I was actually going to ride from the steps of the US Capitol to my driveway in Suburban Atlanta.

September was my plan - less traffic than in summer but too early for leaf peepers and perhaps a bit cooler. Just prior to Memorial Day was another thought. Pickups with wide mirrors towing trailers, weather and carrying enough water were my main concerns. Malicious incidents were the least of my concern.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 03-11-18 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-11-18, 07:41 PM
Tesgin

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks, Tim.

I was also looking at September, though I was thinking of going S to N. I agree, September is probably one of the best months for a ride on the BRP, for the reasons you mentioned. Also, the temp is great. I did about 300 miles two Septembers ago, just bombing around Asheville, Little Switzerland, Mount Mitchell, etc. The weather was awesome.

I would really like to do the full BRP though ...

So, have you figured out an itinerary yet? Stops are few and far between on the parkway. I have some hesitation on doing 80-95 miles a day for seven of eight days. I've never done that kind of mileage with this type of elevation.

I also would prefer credit-carding it, cuz the added weight of everything needed for self-supported camping is also intimidating for me. The lighter load would make for a much more enjoyable ride for me personally. So, I'd love to know if you've figured out where your stops would be?

TB
Old 03-11-18, 09:52 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
300 miles on the BRP sounds nice. I used to go up to 6000 ft and run occasionally, especially in fall.

My trip was going to be 13 to 15 days with at last two of those rest days, one in Asheville. Yes, I agree with you about pulling a trailer. Bikepacking gear, while primitive when I planned the trip, is a much better option, even just to carry a few items for off the bike at hotels. Apidura makes nice bar, saddle and frame bags.

There are several books on the subject including where to stay, locations for water, where to eat, etc. "Bicycling the Blue Ridge Parkway" was the classic. I have a copy but I"m not sure if there are updates.

Hopefully @merlinextraligh will chime in. He had some Strava links from his trip. You can probably look up his thread in the Touring forum. That also might be a great place to ask these questions.

It is not like you are inventing something new. Many have done this. There should be information out there somewhere. It was a long time ago when I was planning it and I'm sure I don't have the information any longer.

-Tim-
Old 03-12-18, 01:26 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
User @merlinextraligh has ridden significant portions of the Blue Ridge Parkway solo including much of Georgia and the Carolinas this past summer.

I was going to do it north to south as a credit card tour about a decade ago but life got in the way. I was actually going to ride from the steps of the US Capitol to my driveway in Suburban Atlanta.

September was my plan - less traffic than in summer but too early for leaf peepers and perhaps a bit cooler. Just prior to Memorial Day was another thought. Pickups with wide mirrors towing trailers, weather and carrying enough water were my main concerns. Malicious incidents were the least of my concern.

-Tim-
I've ridden all of the BRP, except for the last 40 miles at the southern end. i did it solo as a through trip in August 2017. I really never gave personal safety a thought. Everyone I met was friendly and encouraging.

Early September would be a great time to do it. Still relatively warm, and before leaf season traffic.

In late August there was enough traffic on the Parkway, and U.S. park Rangers around that I didn't feel like I was isolated in the wilderness.

Only bad day I had, which could have become a safety issue, was an unseasonably cold rainy day, (temps in the 40's) I was out of spare tubes, down to my last patch, getting late in the day, no cell coverage, and very little car traffic on the Parkway due to the bad weather. Fortunately my last patch held avoiding a very cold long dark walk.

So, I'd say make sure you're well stocked for repairs, realizing there are not many places to conveniently resupply tubes, tires etc, and its not at all unsafe for a solo cyclist.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-12-18, 01:28 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

here's the thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...ve-thread.html

i've been meaning to update to it add some pics and few comments, lessons learned. i'll try to do that soon.
Old 03-12-18, 01:38 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Unfortunately, as is the case anywhere, this would not apply to solo females
As a relatively strong 200lb male, i get that my perception of what's safe may be different than that of a smaller female.

That said, I've seen a number of solo female cyclists on the BRP, including one woman doing a fully loaded tour by herself when I did it. So a decent number of female cyclists appear to believe the BRP is adequately safe.
Old 03-13-18, 05:33 AM
Kbfore1

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As long as you map out places to get more water you will be fine. I have ridden all of the BRP at different times and had no problems. There are a few exits you can take to get fuel.

The people are nice. Just make sure the N VA area has gone through spring thaw.

Another challenge north of BRP is Skyline drive. You must be starting at the end of that?
Old 03-19-18, 06:30 PM
Tesgin

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kbfore1
As long as you map out places to get more water you will be fine. I have ridden all of the BRP at different times and had no problems. There are a few exits you can take to get fuel.

The people are nice. Just make sure the N VA area has gone through spring thaw.

Another challenge north of BRP is Skyline drive. You must be starting at the end of that?
I was thinking of renting a car and driving down to Cherokee with my bike and leaving the car, then riding back N. Haven't decided whether to include Skyine Drive in my journey.

I'm curious about two other details now: would love to know how anyone who solo-rode the BRP coordinated transportation? Shuttle service? Bus? Car rental? If so, where?

Second detail: North to south vs. south to north – is one way preferred over the other? Why?
Old 04-04-18, 07:55 AM
skiffrun

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I haven't checked this sub-forum for a couple years. Seems timely that I did now.

September, after Labor Day, is a great time to ride the BRP. Not much traffic -- though the noise from certain brands of motorcycles can get quite annoying, esp. when you can hear them coming up the climb for MILES. Campgrounds nearly deserted, and that has advantages. But there will be other cyclists. Some solo, camping their way. Some in supported groups. Sharing an evening with other camping cyclists is great.

Malicious predators? Expect none.

My September 2010 adventure: click here.
Old 04-04-18, 08:01 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
It's a little wider than you think in terms of a riding safety point of view. Just be sure to take front and rear lights. The front because you cannot see the ground in the tunnels and they drip water from the ceilings and have little potholes in the road.

Safety? If a car pulls up to you at a rest stop, if it isn't a family I'd roll on. Usually you can disengage the "stupid" by not making eye contact or saying a single word. It really deflates any illegal fun people may have been intent upon because your reaction is 90% of their fun.
Old 04-07-18, 10:20 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
My wife and I have ridden the BRP from the Smokey Mtn expressway all the way to the Skyline Drive In Front Royal Va on dual sport motorcycles years ago. It was a very memorable trip. Naturally much different from riding bicycles. We live just over an hour from the BRP now and have spent many hours on this beautiful road through the mountains. We have never observed suspicious or criminal activity on the parkway. Hi viz clothing, lights front and rear as previously mentioned especially for the tunnels and rain gear for sure. Weather happens quickly in the Blue Ridge mountains. The southern end of the BRP near us has some of the highest points. Mt Mitchell is truly amazing. I am not aware of any history of assaults or criminal activity on the BRP. You can contact the NC State Park Service and they could provide further valuable info.
I think you will be just fine if you decide to take the trip. Do keep in mind you have very limited cell service in the high elevations. Best of luck!

Last edited by Patriot1; 04-07-18 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-08-18, 09:45 PM
skiffrun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot1
... Mt Mitchell is truly amazing. ... You can contact the NC State Park Service and they could provide further valuable info.
The BRP is a National Park, i.e., Feds, not State. National Park Service, not NC Park Service.

Mt. Mitchell is a State Park (I think it is now a State Park -- it used to be private, but IIRC that changed several years ago). So State Park Service or other police authority for Mt. Mitchell.
Old 04-08-18, 09:52 PM
skiffrun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesgin

Second detail: North to south vs. south to north – is one way preferred over the other? Why?
The Parkway is engineered at 5 1/2 % grade max, sometimes for miles and miles at a time. The exception is the southern end; they couldn't figure out how to keep to 5 1/2 near Cherokee, so some is 6% or even 6 1/2 or even close to 7%.

If you ride N->S, then you have several days of riding before tackling the 6% stuff, and it will be mostly downhill. On the other hand, the longest continuous climb is from the James River to the Apple Orchard, starting about mile marker 65 (going from memory & not going to look it up), so N->S you'd get that 12-mile climb on your second day.
Old 04-08-18, 10:11 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I was thinking of renting a car and driving down to Cherokee with my bike and leaving the car, then riding back N. Haven't decided whether to include Skyine Drive in my journey.

I'm curious about two other details now: would love to know how anyone who solo-rode the BRP coordinated transportation? Shuttle service? Bus? Car rental? If so, where?

It's mostly oriented northeast to southwest, so sun glare might be better riding north. But I never really noticed any difference when doing day rides, out and back.

But I think the most dramatic scenery is at the southern portion, so riding north to south would leave that to the end of the trip. And more of the big climbs at the south end.

The route

A ridewithgps BRP south to north route.

Grades
My Garmin shows occasional grades near 9 to 10%, but mostly 7% or under. That big climb at the northern end is about 3200 feet in 12 miles, but it's a steady grade of 4-6%.

(ridewithgps shows short, steep climbs of 15% or more. But these are actually tunnels. The map thinks the road goes over the ridge line, not through a tunnel. For example, at mile 69.7 on the route link above.)

Last edited by rm -rf; 04-08-18 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-22-18, 05:35 PM
Gurge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will continue to research and will post if I find any information on aggressive/violent crimes on the parkway.

Anyone with more info, your input is most appreciated.

Thanks, shelbyfv.

TB
Have you been around the area at all? It's super hippy/yuppie around there. The crime rate is VERY low and if you're going to worry about that then you should everywhere and not ride alone.