Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Electra Townie frame grommets

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Old 05-23-19, 06:41 AM
srinath.the.man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a townie missing a few of the frame grommets. Where can I get those, ebay/Chinese ones any good ?
Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 05-23-19, 06:55 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Not sure what you mean by frame grommets? Roger
Old 05-23-19, 05:58 PM
srinath.the.man

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its got these grommets that allow the cables to pass through the frame without getting chafed … I believe mine are 8mm X 20mm - the small in their measurement. I'll get those, its only like $2, except its a 3 month ship time.
Cool.
Srinath.
Old 05-23-19, 08:11 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Trek sells gromets.
Old 06-13-19, 06:54 PM
alloo

My Townie 21d with new frame grommets from Trek.
Old 05-25-20, 05:39 PM
ineedabeeah

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alloo
Trek sells gromets.

Hate to rehash an old thread, but I have the same issue, 21d grommets and having a very hard time finding replacements. Do you have the Trek part# or pic? I tried calling there aren't much help
Old 05-25-20, 07:43 PM
alloo

Take your bike to the local dealer.
Old 06-04-20, 05:39 PM
ineedabeeah

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately my local dealer(s) isn't much help (very rude actually) perhaps it's due to the enormous surge in bike sales/service during the pandemic, but I didn't have any luck there. I was hoping someone in the forum had a little more info...but thanks for chiming in.
Old 05-20-21, 06:02 PM
CNRed

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ineedabeeah
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately my local dealer(s) isn't much help (very rude actually) perhaps it's due to the enormous surge in bike sales/service during the pandemic, but I didn't have any luck there. I was hoping someone in the forum had a little more info...but thanks for chiming in.
Looking for the same thing, I order a set from Trek but they were way too big.
ANYONE know the part number for the grommets for an Electra Townie 7D?
Old 05-27-21, 06:17 AM
CNRed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Took one of the frame gromets to my local Trek dealer, he looked through pages and pages of pats books and could not find these grommets. He stated that small parts for these bikes are sometimes impossible to find.
I've built motorcycles for years, I'm pretty new at working on and building bicycles, but it seems to me that if the manufacturer made and used this part, it should be available to the public some place,
Old 06-01-21, 05:13 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by ineedabeeah
I'll try to help a little. Is it a round hole? How thick is the material?

Grommets of all shapes and sizes can be purchased from McMaster-Carr: https://www.mcmaster.com/grommets/

-or-

You may get lucky finding one in an assortment such as this one at Harbor Freight: https://www.harborfreight.com/180-pi...set-67582.html

Good luck!

[rant] P.S. I also want to say that there is no reason, NO REASON for your local LBS to be rude to you. At all. You'll soon find out that this is one of my pet peeves. Every LBS I've ever been in, known about, or worked at, for my entire life has been wobbling atop the fence of solvency. Its either feast or famine, but famine seems to be the rule most of the time. The big dealer shops have to push new bikes through the doors in a steady flow, and the smaller guys have to rely solely upon their customer relationships. If your dealer isn't treating you like you are his best friend, then you need a different dealer. Big shops and small shops close all the time, and its the ones who have mastered the art of customer service that have survived troubles times. This bike bubble won't last forever, and who is left standing at the end of it will be the ones who've embraced better business practices. [/rant]

Last edited by J.Higgins; 06-01-21 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-01-21, 02:30 PM
CNRed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
J, Higgins,
Thanks for the reply.
The grommets are a molded piece that the rear cables go through to go onto the frame of the bike on their waty to the back of the bike. The holes in the bike frame is about 19mm x 6mm.
I've been to the local hardware lookin for just a round rubber hole gasket but, no joy as of yet.
I'm sure these are proprietary to Electra and are listed in some minute corner of a parts book somepalce where no one has ever had a reason to look.
Old 06-01-21, 02:57 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by CNRed
J, Higgins,
Thanks for the reply.
The grommets are a molded piece that the rear cables go through to go onto the frame of the bike on their way to the back of the bike. The holes in the bike frame is about 19mm x 6mm.
I've been to the local hardware lookin for just a round rubber hole gasket but, no joy as of yet.
I'm sure these are proprietary to Electra and are listed in some minute corner of a parts book someplace where no one has ever had a reason to look.
Are the inside edges of the hole itself sharp? Is there a burr inside the hole, or is it reasonably-smooth? I would take a tiny file and chamfer the inside edge of that hole, if you can get to it. Once that chore is done, take a swab and some nail polish on it, and apply to the area you've just smoothed out. This'll prevent corrosion. When that is dry, slip about six inches of shrink tubing over the area of cable that you want to protect. Heat it up. Shrink it down. Slip it in. Done. Now you've just bypassed a silly proprietary component that truly isnt needed anymore. The heat shrink tubing will protect your cable. I've done this procedure a bunch of times in various applications from industrial machinery, to boats, to motor vehicles.
Old 06-01-21, 04:56 PM
CNRed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The hole isn't sharp and I don't feel the cable housing will chafe, for me at this point it just a matter of ascetics. The frame on this bike has been powder coated and the bike rebuilt, it's a very old Townie that was well abused through out it's existence. It looks great at this poinrt but being as OCD as I am, this is a sticking point.
I have three other Townies that I am taking through the process of rebuilding as well, it would be nice to be able to finish them with the proper attention to detail.
Thanks for your help. I'm going to keep looking, maybe I'll find them.