Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

cetmaracks

Old 03-12-10, 07:10 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
By the way, your suggestion that this merchant intentionally steals from customers who he doesn't like is the most damning comment in this thread so far. I certainly hope he is not as despicable as you think he is. Shame on you for slandering him and you should be even more ashamed to approve of such behavior whether or not it is true.
Old 03-12-10, 07:30 PM
vegenaise
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what kind of moron are you? i already said itt that lane is a good guy. and did you even read my hypothetical post? there was no mention of stealing from whatsoever. just prolonged screwing with. i think such behavior is hilarious when deserved. would do it to you in a heartbeat.
Old 03-12-10, 08:05 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Are the different kinds of morons? We are smarter than imbeciles and even more smarter than idiots, but I don't think these words are used by intelligent people these days. What kind of moron are you?
Old 03-12-10, 08:14 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vegenaise
...i think such behavior is hilarious when deserved. would do it to you in a heartbeat.
You are a shameless lout who continues to put forward the idea that this merchant has taken the money and has intentionally withheld delivery, which is theft, my fellow moron.
Old 03-12-10, 10:08 PM
MUNIsucks

Bikes: Schwinn Chicago (le tour??) and c1985 League Fuji mix of Suntour Lepreel, sugino, dia-compe with nitto promenade bars.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cman
Muni- try his website. It list a 4 week wait currently. It also list his phone number.
Thanks, but I was just asking about the OP's situation and the other guy. I'm not ordering from him.

Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Are the different kinds of morons? We are smarter than imbeciles and even more smarter than idiots, but I don't think these words are used by intelligent people these days. What kind of moron are you?
I know this is splitting hairs, but I thought it was funny just because you guys were arguing intelligence. You said "...more smarter...," which is obviously redundant.

And as far as only posers use porteurs, elaborate.

Nothing is wrong with wanting to make your bicycle more useful than it already is.

Last edited by MUNIsucks; 03-13-10 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-13-10, 06:23 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
We were arguing ethics, not intelligence.

For someone claiming to be a moron, I think I write pretty good. Thanks for pointing out my error though, I'm always trying to improve.

If you use your bike to impress doofus hipsters, adding a wide front rack will make your bike more useful. For carrying stuff, a rear rack is much more better.

The picture you posted reminded me of this one I took yesterday. Enjoying a smoke on a rainy day.

For $250, dude could buy a helmet, long pants, a waterproof jacket, socks and have money left over to get a patch kit for his friend.
Old 03-13-10, 09:29 AM
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.

Bikes: CETMA Cargo, Surly Big Dummy, Surly Straggler, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a CETMA sitting out in my garage. I tried to install it on my cross check and the drops got in the way too much. So, any of you folks out there that might like the quality of the rack but don't want to deal with the wait/possible nonarrival can buy my five rail powdercoated black if you wish.

Feel free to PM me.

This is the rack I have: https://www.cetmacargo.com/CETMA%20cargo%205-rail.htm

Last edited by davidmcowan; 03-13-10 at 04:47 PM. Reason: SOrry! Edited to change seven to five rail and update the link.
Old 03-13-10, 04:16 PM
vegenaise
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We were arguing ethics, not intelligence.

For someone claiming to be a moron, I think I write pretty good. Thanks for pointing out my error though, I'm always trying to improve.

If you use your bike to impress doofus hipsters, adding a wide front rack will make your bike more useful. For carrying stuff, a rear rack is much more better.
they both have their uses. i find that the majority of the time when i need to carry something on a rack, my front platform rack manages the load better. i used to work as a courier, and i can tell you that my cetma rack was 10x more useful than a rear rack would have been.
Old 03-13-10, 04:37 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
A load that would be more manageable on a rack mounted to my fork than on a rack mounted to my frame is hard for me to imagine.
Old 03-13-10, 04:55 PM
vegenaise
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the rack actually mounts to your hub axle and your handlebars. doesn't mount to the fork at all. also, go look at the cetma gallery. half the random **** that people carry would have been much harder to carry on a narrow rear rack. that fact for the matter is when you're carrying large parcels, they're much easier to manage when you have a wide platform rack underneath.
Old 03-13-10, 05:31 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The rack may as well be attached to the forks, the handlebars and the front axle are attached to the fork.

My experience leads me to believe a rear rack is much better than a front rack for carrying large parcels. I have used both. If you know how to load a rack, extra width is not necessary. My Jandd front rack can take a bigger box than your Cetma.

The biggest load I hauled yesterday did not require the use of my front rack.

Last edited by qmsdc15; 03-13-10 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-13-10, 07:00 PM
vegenaise
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well i guess im not going to sway you. reasons why front racks are better than rear: https://cetmacargo.com/10%20CETMA%20c...ks%20index.htm
it's admittedly biased because he is obviously in the business of making front racks, but all of the points he brings up i agree with.
chances are lane has more experience/knowledge about it than you. chances are i have had more experiences carrying cargo than you. i still think you're a moron, and that you have no idea what you're talking about.

also, it's funny that you're talking **** about how $250 (i don't know where you got this arbitrary number, cetma racks are much cheaper) could be better spent, when you have that ****ty bikes at work trailer, and those run, what anywhere from $400 to 600? give me a break.
Old 03-13-10, 07:46 PM
MUNIsucks

Bikes: Schwinn Chicago (le tour??) and c1985 League Fuji mix of Suntour Lepreel, sugino, dia-compe with nitto promenade bars.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the $250 was referring to Pass and Stow.

I do agree about the whole hipster remark, haha. Even though its a generalization.

The thing I hate about the whole rack culture (whatever you want to call it). Is all people seem to talk about is hauling beer, which is ******** to me. The Gamoh fancy basket has a bottle opener welded to it! Here in SF when you don't want something anymore you put it out on the street. I've found so many things this way, just people throwing them out.

Eitherway, I found my alternative solution and its not cetma or pass and stow.
Old 03-14-10, 04:05 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
26 years as dispatched rider, last three exclusively freight.

Only crude, ignorant people use the word moron, which I tried to point out to you in a humorous way, but perhaps too subtly. Oh well, I guess I won't be swaying you on that subject. Go enjoy some guilt free mayonnaise, then laud crooked merchants. They're the best!
Old 03-14-10, 10:13 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
26 years as dispatched rider, last three exclusively freight.

Only crude, ignorant people use the word moron, which I tried to point out to you in a humorous way, but perhaps too subtly. Oh well, I guess I won't be swaying you on that subject. Go enjoy some guilt free mayonnaise, then laud crooked merchants. They're the best!
Well, I'm gonna say I'm impressed with your resume if no one else is.
Old 10-11-17, 07:01 PM
gauchedamned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My experience

I had ordered and paid for a rack on October 3, 2016. It is now October 11, 2017. I still do not have my rack, despite many patient emails to Lane Kagay at Cetma Cargo. Yes, it has now been over a year wait, and still don't have a rack. I have received maybe two replies from the dozen or so emails that I have sent out promising delivery. Will I ever get this item? Who knows. I'm about as chill a dude as they come, but even chill has its limits. Just thought I'd chime in with some relevant dates for this thread.
Old 10-13-17, 09:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Above your front wheel is the worst place on a bicycle to put a load.
an unfounded opinion, many Brompton owners will laugh at
Old 08-30-18, 09:41 AM
osric

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, Cetma Cargo, Argo Cargo, Electra Loft 3i, Raleigh Sports, Detroit Bikes B-Type

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm bumping this thread since it's taken a lot of googling for me to find out that there are a lot of very unhappy Cetma customers. I wish I'd found this thread and known how long this had been going on for before I ordered a bike from him. (He's said it would ship repeatedly and it still hasn't.)

There's certainly some leeway for creative handmade bike makers, but it's gotten so bad that someone even put up this web site: Cetma Rack Reviews
Old 08-30-18, 09:46 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by osric
I'm bumping this thread since it's taken a lot of googling for me to find out that there are a lot of very unhappy Cetma customers. I wish I'd found this thread and known how long this had been going on for before I ordered a bike from him. (He's said it would ship repeatedly and it still hasn't.)

There's certainly some leeway for creative handmade bike makers, but it's gotten so bad that someone even put up this web site: Cetma Rack Reviews
Did you do any research before purchasing? It's a pretty expensive thing to buy without doing some preliminary reading and looking around the net. Most satisfied Cetma owners either got lucky with good timing or knew what to expect going into things and thus weren't overly disappointed by the experience.
Old 08-31-18, 05:48 AM
osric

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, Cetma Cargo, Argo Cargo, Electra Loft 3i, Raleigh Sports, Detroit Bikes B-Type

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nightdiver
Did you do any research before purchasing? It's a pretty expensive thing to buy without doing some preliminary reading and looking around the net. Most satisfied Cetma owners either got lucky with good timing or knew what to expect going into things and thus weren't overly disappointed by the experience.
Being disappointed is different from never receiving something you paid for under the terms of the purchase. If Cetma actually said up front that you may or may not ever get the product, that’s a lottery and not a sale.

Not shipping a product someone paid for is fraud.
Old 08-31-18, 06:05 AM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Being disappointed is different from never receiving something you paid for under the terms of the purchase. If Cetma actually said up front that you may or may not ever get the product, that’s a lottery and not a sale.

Not shipping a product someone paid for is fraud.
You're being pretty dramatic. That's not at all what I inferred. How long have you been waiting since he claimed it would ship? I'm sure you'll get your bike, but yeah, this is pretty typical stuff for Cetma.
Old 08-31-18, 06:22 AM
osric

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nightdiver
You're being pretty dramatic. That's not at all what I inferred. How long have you been waiting since he claimed it would ship? I'm sure you'll get your bike, but yeah, this is pretty typical stuff for Cetma.
It’s been over a year. How long would you wait when the seller repeatedly promises it will ship and it never does?
Old 09-01-18, 06:08 AM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

It’s been over a year. How long would you wait when the seller repeatedly promises it will ship and it never does?
Guess it depends on how badly you want the bike and how much patience you have for this sort of thing. I understand your frustration, believe me. It took me just about a year to get mine. But I went into the process knowing that was a possibility. However, Lane was always totally straight up with me about the status of things and never promised something that wasn't going to happen. Sounds like you caught him during a particularly bad time. Good luck. If you stick with it, you'll end up with a really special bike.

Also, have you called him or only emailed? Try every avenue.
Old 12-17-18, 02:32 PM
osric

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's now been 18 months and he's completely disappeared. No email replies. Never answers his phone. It's been nearly 4 months of silence from him since he last said the bike would ship. It's amazing that anyone would defend his behavior.
Old 12-19-18, 05:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
There are other makers of Porteur Racks ... some custom makers..

I got a Paul Comp Flatbed , its aluminum..

and modified the Steel Brompton bag frame as a Cargo rack

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.