Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Aluminum frame corrosion - Advice please

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Aluminum frame corrosion - Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 04:00 AM
Ed Holland
8speed DinoSORAs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update:

I finally had time to takle the frame. I did a complete strip of the bike, and removed paint down to bare metal (a lot of hard work). She was then coated with aluminium primer & sanded, then 3 top coats were applied with sanding in between. There are no pictures of the rebuilt bike, but here are some I took along the way with my cellphone camera (please excuse the quality). I took the opportunity to overhaul all the components, so she will ride like new when there is a good weather day here - I can't face getting her filthy on the first ride...

Cheers,

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Image001.jpg (35.9 KB, 281 views)
Image001.jpg (35.9 KB, 264 views)
Old 03-01-06, 07:53 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Nice looking paint job. Photos not bad for a cell phone.
Old 11-23-12, 09:08 PM
garynchait

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought an 80s aluminum framed Trek used for my son. Got it home and noticed corrosion on the seat tube near the front derailleur. Attached some images. Is this what your frame looks like?
So, is it dangerous to ride the bike with this corrosion present, i.e. could the seat tube crack now or sometime in the future?
Thanks.
-Gary
Attached Images
trek bike 1.jpg (74.5 KB, 402 views)
trek downtube 1.jpg (36.2 KB, 410 views)
trek downtube 2.jpg (40.3 KB, 405 views)
Old 11-24-12, 01:48 AM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
What you have going on there is Galvanic corrosion.

we had a simmilar case on a half year old bike.

the owner just left his custom made frame bike out in the weather all summer,
the bottle bosses are steel rivnuts, the little plastic cable guide under the BB has a stainless screw holding it in,

you will need to strip the bike down completly,
locate all the places alu and steel come in contact.
have it glass beaded, and then proper aluminum primer and a paint job.
grease every steel screw and component before putting it back together.

notes
headset are prone to cause trouble also
are the pop rivits on the cable guides stainless or steel?
the cable housing ends? plastic or shiny steel? replace with plastic shimano type
the bottlebosses-steel rivnuts?
was the BB greased before it was threaded in?
a drainhole in the frame bottom is a wise idea before repainting.
grease every screw and adjuster.

you could even put plastic tape between the front deraileur and the frame to help
Old 10-24-16, 05:17 PM
macelius

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just picked up this '94 Klein Quantum Z, rides perfect but the guy used it as a trainer and apparently never washed or even wiped it down. The white alu oxide powder was as thick as 1/16 under some of the larger bubbles, but after a wire brushing the tubes don't look that bad, though there is some minor pitting around the bottle cage mounts. Going to be hard to replicate the original finish, so it might end up just plain forest green or orange. Still looking for replacement decals.

Old 06-11-18, 10:54 AM
beechnutC23
U.I.O.G.D.

Bikes: Bassi Hog's Back gravel/bikepacking, Bombtrack Hook 2 gravel, Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, Marinoni Special EL-OS/Campy Record (retired to permanent indoor trainer), Rocky Mountain hybrid, Rocky Mountain mtb Cervelo R3 Team/Campy Chorus FOR SALE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 17 Posts
Sorry to revive a dormant thread but I have significant corrosion on my 23 or so y.o. aluminium mountain bike, where the paint peeled away. As a former aircraft owner I can assure readers here that aluminium does indeed corrode. The oxide layer wears off, eventually reducing the thickness and strength of the metal as each successive layer forms then wears off. My aircraft was built in 1979 and I owned it until last year. Repairing corrosion was a continuous process at each annual inspection and the worst area was under the floorboards where people's wet boots would drip into. Corroded areas were sanded down lightly and treated with zinc chromate primer; I spent a couple of days at my last annual inspection sanding down corroded areas under the floor; it's best to get on top of it as quickly as possible to avoid the need to replace structural elements ($$$). When the aluminum is pitted like it is on my mountain bike, on an aircraft structural component, it won't pass annual inspection. I don't do any rough mountain stuff with mine, just gravel roads, but it's serious enough that I think I will finally retire the bike at the end of the season. Good opportunity to build myself a nice gravel bike

(N+1)-1+1 = N+1
Old 06-13-18, 12:33 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Svr
Yes, your frame is corroded aluminum and will need attention. The bubbling areas will have to be stripped, sanded and primed.

And for those wondering, Aluminum does indeed corrode, although it does not 'rust' like iron and its alloys. It's a common among older commercial aircraft to have the floor beams eaten away under galleys and lavatories. Although I've never seen a "rusted out 747", I've seen plenty of heavily corroded 727, 737 and L1011 airframes.
Al will eventually corrode to mush - especially so wherein salt and damp air are in abundance. Crashed WW2 aircraft I played in as a kid in the jungle that still had decals, inflated tyres, rubber coated wiring, seating etc are now white coloured dirt.
Heat (welding) and stress flexing ( bottom bracket,chainstays) accelerate the corrosion.
Wire brush it down and keep going until firm paint /clean shiny metal is reached. Clean with solvent, prime and paint. Use a brush, it's Al after all. That should solve the aesthetic problem and should outlast the rest of the paint work. If crap returns in the exact location before anywhere else - you need to consider a new one. There is virtually zero chance of a catastrophic failure - as in a delamination point in carbon. It will just go mushy to ride and start crabbing off a normal line.
​​​​​​
Old 06-13-18, 10:38 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by froze
I still can't tell from those pics, but the frame looks like a steel frame with rust bubbling the paint.
Look at the welds, it's aluminum.
Old 06-13-18, 05:44 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
Look at the welds, it's aluminum.
yeap. Al welds tend to be higher profile, thicker. Steel welds, more smooth, discrete.

Some people confuse corrosion with rusting. Al alloy will not rust as such, but will corrode.

i've got paint chipping off too on my Al alloy bike, and i also think it is due to sweat/salt corrosion.
Old 06-14-18, 04:51 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
yeap. Al welds tend to be higher profile, thicker. Steel welds, more smooth, discrete.

Some people confuse corrosion with rusting. Al alloy will not rust as such, but will corrode.

i've got paint chipping off too on my Al alloy bike, and i also think it is due to sweat/salt corrosion.
My only claim to fame was building a portable helicopter landing pad for the old Calypso. We used WWII scrap aluminum laying around in the shipyard. The GMAW's were soother than TAW, but still rougher than steel. I haven't seen an aluminum weld that was as smooth as other metals.
Old 06-26-18, 07:14 AM
Khoorxr

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is filiform corrosion.
Old 06-26-18, 09:01 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
+1, Strip and repaint.

Pay for a powder coat job .

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-26-18 at 09:09 AM.