Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Drilling extraction hole in shifter to remove broken cable head stuck inside

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Drilling extraction hole in shifter to remove broken cable head stuck inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-17, 04:45 PM
StreakOfBlue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome solution! Quick and much easier than expected

Thanks so much for this. I used it to rescue my 7800 shifter. I was nervous about drilling into it but it worked perfectly. And if I get too lazy to replace the cable annually, as so many are recommending, my trusty orifice stands ready.

A couple of more points: First, in my case, before drilling the hole, I could only click three shifts in either direction. So I wasn't completely sure the decapitated cable head would be under the drill point. I guess it was sort of a gamble, but looking inside from the other side I saw only cable track, no anchor point. So it seemed reasonable to try it.

Also, I started by making a small indentation with a carbide-tipped awl at the target point so the bit wouldn't wander. I first drilled a 1/16" hole and then a 1/8" before moving to 1/4", using cobalt bits. The 1/4" cobalt bit had a rather sharp conical tip that hit the cable head and kept me from drilling all the way through. So I had to switch to a 1/4" bit that didn't have as sharp a tip. It worked fine.

I do wonder, how did you know exactly where to drill?
Old 04-23-17, 06:30 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Dtbaker61, you win Bikeforums. THIS should be a STICKY!
Old 05-16-17, 05:53 PM
Robaust

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drill hole shimano shifter

It worked! Genius!!!!
I just saved ultegra 10sp
LBS had no idea and gave it last rites
My teenage son (the client) is gobsmacked.
Initially drilled hole wrong side (read upside down image wrong) now have two holes
Clickety click!!!
Old 06-02-17, 12:43 PM
howiejim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixed! Thank you so much!! :-)

Originally Posted by StreakOfBlue
Thanks so much for this. I used it to rescue my 7800 shifter. I was nervous about drilling into it but it worked perfectly. And if I get too lazy to replace the cable annually, as so many are recommending, my trusty orifice stands ready.

A couple of more points: First, in my case, before drilling the hole, I could only click three shifts in either direction. So I wasn't completely sure the decapitated cable head would be under the drill point. I guess it was sort of a gamble, but looking inside from the other side I saw only cable track, no anchor point. So it seemed reasonable to try it.

Also, I started by making a small indentation with a carbide-tipped awl at the target point so the bit wouldn't wander. I first drilled a 1/16" hole and then a 1/8" before moving to 1/4", using cobalt bits. The 1/4" cobalt bit had a rather sharp conical tip that hit the cable head and kept me from drilling all the way through. So I had to switch to a 1/4" bit that didn't have as sharp a tip. It worked fine.

I do wonder, how did you know exactly where to drill?
Right with ya, StreakOfBlue. My shifters are Dura-Ace ST-7801. Mine also would only shift 3 clicks. A friend helped me out and also used an awl prior to drilling. LBS couldn't fish it out but had called Shimano and guy told him "off the record" that he has got them out by banging it out or drilling but LBS didn't want to do that to my stuff (LBS spent a bunch of time on it and didn't charge me!). But LBS thought the shifting was stuck somewhere in the middle, not in lowest gear - so we were worried that the hole placement would be wrong and would have to drill two holes. But we went with the exact same place as original posted pictures showed and it was right there! Took us a while to fish it out though. What finally helped was when I pushed cable through from the other end.

I made a comment about replacing that cable annually and my friend said, no need, we have the access port now - lol.

Also wonder, how did you know exactly where to drill?

Cheers!
Old 02-21-18, 01:19 PM
patrickmann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

So glad I came across this post. Thanks for posting the description and very helpful photos.
Worked perfectly for my 6600 Ultegra shifter.

I found a magnet to be helpful in extracting the broken wire head.
Old 11-10-18, 05:32 PM
mc7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another success story

Thanks to this post I have replaced the cable on my Ultegra ST-6600 shifter, my drill holes aren't neat (first one wasn't quite right) but job is done!
Bike is about 10 years old and has gone 1000's of kilometers first cable that has broken... Probably should replace the front shifter and brakes cables to
Old 11-11-18, 08:45 AM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Shimano STI shifters tend to eat cables quicker than SRAM and Campagnolo shifters. The later versions with the cables running under the handlebar tape seem to be the worst, but at least Shimano makes the shifter body more accessible to remove broken off cable ends. I made a couple of videos demonstrating how to do it.

Old 05-19-21, 01:19 PM
briangw

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First post just to say thank you to the OP.

This thread still paying dividends for desperate people. My mate´s 6600 cable snapped and left his shifter as a worthless piece of junk. I tried all the non-invasive methods first, but eventually turned to the drill method. A few minutes of twiddling with a piece of copper core from satellite cable and a fine screwdriver did the trick. All now 100%.

Many thanks again.
Likes For briangw:
Old 05-19-21, 06:51 PM
dtbaker61

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by briangw
First post just to say thank you to the OP.

This thread still paying dividends for desperate people. My mate´s 6600 cable snapped and left his shifter as a worthless piece of junk. I tried all the non-invasive methods first, but eventually turned to the drill method. A few minutes of twiddling with a piece of copper core from satellite cable and a fine screwdriver did the trick. All now 100%.

Many thanks again.

you are very welcome, glad my fix was useful and effective!
Old 05-19-21, 07:47 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Good to know about this option, though my (now 20-years-old) Ultegra 9-speed shifters are working fine on their original cables.
Old 05-19-21, 09:42 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You've NEVER changed the cables/housing?!?
Old 05-19-21, 09:53 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,511 Times in 2,855 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
He just said it was 20 years old.
He didn't say he actually rides it.

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 05-20-21 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-20-21, 12:16 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
But all of mine are at least 20 years old, except the ones that have broken...
Old 07-15-23, 09:48 PM
wwgga

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't drill till you've tried this.

Was going to follow this and drill a hole but figured a much easier way.
1. WD40 the shifter internals - just to make sure everything will move OK.
2. Get a metalwork/welding scriber tool and use it to apply force on the cable barrel in the same direction you feed the cable.
Basically you are putting on pressure the same is if it were under derailleur load.
3. You'll now be able to click the smaller shifter and it will ratchet back one gear.
4. Apply force again on the cable barrel and shift gear again.
Do as many times as is necessary to get to the hardest gear, ie the position you need to be in to remove/install cables.
5. Remove broken cable with long nose pliers.

Last edited by wwgga; 07-15-23 at 09:49 PM. Reason: added a step