Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Motobecane Ti Night Train SL for bikepacking?

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 01-22-19, 08:46 PM
Terraplane
Worlds oldest newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking at the carbon fork version of the BD ti fat bike for mostly dirt roads in Kansas and hopefully in a few years the Great Divide route. My plan is to add a set of 50 mm plus wheels for most riding. We get a lot of mud and the extra clearance of the fat bike may be a help. I also may use it in sandy areas (Western KS and others) so the fat wheels may get some use. My plans are to put TRP Spyke mechanical brakes on, Jones bar and probably a rear rack. I've ridden a lot on rail/trails and dirt roads on a Surly Disc Trucker and want a little more "give" in a bike! Do you see any downsides to this bike? I'm going to retire this year and hope to ride this thing on several big trips this year around KS and a week in Salida, CO area. Sorry, don't have enough posts to put a link to bike but it is the one they show as 26.3 lbs (with tubeless conversion).

Terraplane
Old 01-22-19, 10:28 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I assume you mean this?

since you talk about 50mm rims, I assume you plan on 3" tires? Did you look at the Jones bikes (since you have the H-bar)? since you plan to install new brakes, wheels etc. it may be better to just buy a frame?
I'm not a fan of SRAM brakes, but reasonable people like them. to me they would be another reason to build up from a bare frame.

Count on having to replace the novatec hub. ALL the cheap fatbike hubs (from Trek, Specialized, and all other bikes except the few that come with actual hubs) will break and then you get an actually good hub (DT, bitex, etc.). Don't tour with a novatec rear hub....

Edit: there is a note stating they ship October 15th. I'd inquire about actual shipdate assuming this is a mistake.
"The Deal: bikes are available for PrepayShipsOct15-30th at this special price for limited time. Approx dates may ship earlier or later by a few days. See Pull down menus below. "

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 01-22-19 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-23-19, 05:37 PM
Terraplane
Worlds oldest newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, that is the bike. (I tried to respond earlier at work and my response got deleted because I quoted your link!) I do plan on about 3" tires too. Have looked at Jones bikes but was wanting another ti frame and like my BD ti cross bike. Jones ti is $$$$. I looked at building the bike with the BD frame and after it all is done would pretty much spend the same money and can live with most of the setup. Cockpit will likely change. I have a good seat. Had thought about selling the hydro brakes as new take offs.
Are the Novatec hubs still bad? I have read most every thread on fat bikes here and seemed like fewer complaints. The wheels that come with this bike would get only occasional use and probably no bikepacking. I found a company making relatively inexpensive wheels by hand with SunRingle hubs and Duroc rims but don't know much about the hubs. I have a local shop that will build wheels if I go that route.
Bikes are in stock to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for your thoughts.

Terraplane
Old 01-23-19, 08:23 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by Terraplane
Yes, that is the bike. (I tried to respond earlier at work and my response got deleted because I quoted your link!) I do plan on about 3" tires too. Have looked at Jones bikes but was wanting another ti frame and like my BD ti cross bike. Jones ti is $$$$. I looked at building the bike with the BD frame and after it all is done would pretty much spend the same money and can live with most of the setup. Cockpit will likely change. I have a good seat. Had thought about selling the hydro brakes as new take offs.
Are the Novatec hubs still bad? I have read most every thread on fat bikes here and seemed like fewer complaints. The wheels that come with this bike would get only occasional use and probably no bikepacking. I found a company making relatively inexpensive wheels by hand with SunRingle hubs and Duroc rims but don't know much about the hubs. I have a local shop that will build wheels if I go that route.
Bikes are in stock to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for your thoughts.

Terraplane
I don't have experience with Sun Ringle hubs, but they are not considered to be great either. I wouldn't use them on the Great Divide... For a Long tour or any new wheel I'd look at Bitex, DT Swiss, CK, or whatever other 1st tier brand you like.
the novatec hubs are not good for more than a few thousand miles depending on your riding. All the lower end fatbike hubs have issues, no matter what bike brand you use. The fewest manufacturers use DT Swiss et al (like the Canyon dude). but if you don't use them a lot (2 wheelsets as you plan), they likely will last a few years. I replaced mine last fall when the pawls started to skip. I probably could have ridden some more weeks, but didn't want to risk to damage the "jewels" when the pawls fail on a steep uphill or deal with hub replacement in snow season.

Yes the Jones is expensive compared to BD. Especially the Ti versions. I never rode one, but everyone who has one seems to love it, especially the comfort. If you have sow or sand, the fatbike is more useful.
Old 01-23-19, 11:18 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
Excuse me if I ask, but it seems you want to use primarily 50mm/ 2" tires. Why not get a gravel bike? There are some models that can fit up 2.2". Don't get me wrong, I love my fat bike, but it has it's limitations and for a superior price. Check out the Salsa line, they have many wide tire models for about the same price. There is also the 27.5"+ range which can go up to 3"
Not trying to burst your bubble, just trying to offer some viable alternatives
Cheers
Old 01-26-19, 09:29 AM
Terraplane
Worlds oldest newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a gravel bike.

Good question. I have a 700c Surly Disc Trucker which I use as a gravel bike for long distance. It is pretty comfortable but I want much more give in the tires. I'm pretty sold on the Ti Ora frames that BD sells and don't like the geo of their plus bike. A friend loves his Cutthroat and has raced the Tour Divide with it but I'm looking for more upright position. Arthritic hands and all. Getting older sucks. Guess I like the idea of having a bike with the ability to go fat or plus. I go to Colorado almost every year to cross country ski and might take it with me.
Old 01-26-19, 10:14 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
FWIW, this guy does a lot of touring on a fat bike, might have some info you can use:

https://www.youtube.com/user/forestyforest
Old 01-26-19, 10:25 AM
HerrKaLeun

I don't know what road surface your touring will include, but a fat bike would be for touring where there is no path yet. Across deserts, forests etc.Any tour with some sort or path can be done with 2" tires and wide rims. I have 2.15" and 30mm ID rims upfront of my Toughroad and it is comfortable yet fast rolling. You can get touring tires up to 2.35"...
The fat tire with off-road profile is great for "no path touring", but will cost you significant speed everywhere else.