Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Can Aluminium Frames Be Damaged By Hail?

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 03-28-19, 09:06 AM
Orkun KnighTR34

Bikes: 2016 Kron TX 150

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Hi Guys

Nowadays, bicycles with alluminium frames are common. I'm curious that can they be damaged by hail? Everyone knows that body panels of cars can be damaged by hail. But, material of bicycle frames are thicker than car body panels. But can they still be damaged from hail?
Old 03-28-19, 09:12 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
Sure, if the walls are thin enough and the hail stones are large enough. But I suspect you not want to be outside during such a bad hail storm anyway. I also feel that you'd have other more immediate concerns then frame damage if you were riding through such a storm. Andy (who has ridden through hail a number of times and the worst part was trying to balance the bike when the tires were effectively rolling on nature's ball bearings)
Old 04-14-19, 01:29 AM
Orkun KnighTR34

Bikes: 2016 Kron TX 150

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Sure, if the walls are thin enough and the hail stones are large enough. But I suspect you not want to be outside during such a bad hail storm anyway. I also feel that you'd have other more immediate concerns then frame damage if you were riding through such a storm. Andy (who has ridden through hail a number of times and the worst part was trying to balance the bike when the tires were effectively rolling on nature's ball bearings)
Sure, I won't ride when hail falling but if hail suddenly falls when my bicycle is parked and locked outside and I'm in places like school, library, cafe; it might suffer from hail, is it true?
Old 04-14-19, 01:41 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
If the hail is big enough, yeah. My brother was in a storm that had baseball sized hail. It smashed through metal roofing in some cases and mangled cars. So if one of those hit a lightweight bike in the wrong plus it might not end well. But then, what are the chances of getting hail that big.
Old 04-14-19, 05:28 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
It would depend a bit on the bicycle.

I'd presume that many aluminum mountain bikes and department store bikes would be fairly resilient to hail.

On the other hand, an old Vitus aluminum bike might be totally destroyed.

I'd keep an eye on the weather forecast although I know things change quickly in the midwest.
Old 04-14-19, 05:36 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The steel used for car bodies might as well be butter, and it’s a huge target. The aluminum in bike frames is heat treated and skinny. I can imagine a paint ding or a little dent, but nothing that would make the bike unusable.
Old 04-14-19, 06:50 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
It would depend a bit on the bicycle.

I'd presume that many aluminum mountain bikes and department store bikes would be fairly resilient to hail.

On the other hand, an old Vitus aluminum bike might be totally destroyed.

I'd keep an eye on the weather forecast although I know things change quickly in the midwest.
I might suggest the opposite, The Vitus/Alan bikes had fairly thick walls of a smaller diameter then today's stuff. So the dent sensitivity is rather less then today's Al tubes.

But this thread is somewhat funny to me. After 45 years in the trenches of the LBS industry I thought I had heard about every question/topic riders had about their bikes, hail damage is new on my list. Andy
Old 04-14-19, 07:20 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I might suggest the opposite, The Vitus/Alan bikes had fairly thick walls of a smaller diameter then today's stuff. So the dent sensitivity is rather less then today's Al tubes.

But this thread is somewhat funny to me. After 45 years in the trenches of the LBS industry I thought I had heard about every question/topic riders had about their bikes, hail damage is new on my list. Andy
Have you spent time in the Midwest & South?

They can get some monster hail storms.

Golf ball to baseball sized stones coming down.

I don't think I'd want a fancy carbon fiber road bike out in the stuff.

I think many people in Missouri hurry to park their cars out on the street whenever a hail storm comes along so they can collect the insurance payments, and not get the vehicle repaired.