Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for an indestructible crankset

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Looking for an indestructible crankset

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-19, 04:17 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by nlowe
If this ends up failing, the plan was to have a crankset machined from steel rather than billet aluminum. The crankset would quite literally be 5-10 pounds, and a third of the weight of the bike, but it would outlast me for sure. That will be left as a last ditch effort for the future if needed.
Just get one of these:

Old 04-17-19, 05:03 PM
liverunbike
Bonecrusher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Nobody has mentioned improper maintenance?
Square taper cranks over-torqued onto the spindle, or cranks with the wrong taper profile will certainly break at the square hole. Have you ever replaced the bottom bracket?
Breaks at the pedal spindle hole can be caused by cracks by letting your bike fall over.
This being a mountain bike conversion, how is your chainline?
210 is not that heavy. 51x15 is not that big of a gear.

All that aside, freestyle BMX cranks are arguably the toughest cranks you can put on a bike.
Old 04-17-19, 05:26 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by liverunbike
Nobody has mentioned improper maintenance?
Square taper cranks over-torqued onto the spindle, or cranks with the wrong taper profile will certainly break at the square hole. Have you ever replaced the bottom bracket?
Breaks at the pedal spindle hole can be caused by cracks by letting your bike fall over.
This being a mountain bike conversion, how is your chainline?
210 is not that heavy. 51x15 is not that big of a gear.

All that aside, freestyle BMX cranks are arguably the toughest cranks you can put on a bike.
im 220lb, 6’2. I ride 75 inches on a 30 year old crankset and equally old square taper bb. My daily rider is a 42 year old road frame made from Reynolds 531. Not a single issue, and I like to lay down torque. He’s certainly not too heavy. And I agree, his ratio isn’t extreme. It’s his form. He is more or less, purposely trying to break his equipment riding that way. When you combine that with equipment that’s actually designed for low gear, high cadence use (mtb/downhill) it shouldn’t be a surprise it keeps breaking. You’re right that a maintenance issue, or lack of care when installing on square taper spindles could be a cause, but given how he’s riding, it’s unlikely to be anything more than bad form on inadequate equipment. Pretty simple.

I disagree about the bmx cranks though. They’re strong but in the wrong way. Something like the chromoly Odyssey Sunday would have a lot of flex under his riding style and not get the torque to the ground. This follows the OPs line of thinking about having a steel crankset machined. Aluminium is used to deliver torque and power for a reason: stiffness.

this entire topic is about two things:
Riding form
basic materials science

you enjoy riding in a way that you know is destructive, then buy the professional equipment designed to handle serious use, or spend more money later on continuously replacing a lot of inferior equipment. You want to stop throwing away all that money? Change your riding style, fix your form and find enjoyment riding in a way that isn’t purposely destructive. My advice there is to get a track frame to put that ridiculously expensive new crankset on and find a velodrome, or some crit races to participate in.
Old 04-18-19, 02:33 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
I'm not buying any of this. The OP isn't superman, not even by his own description. His weight and strength are not so exceptional that he should be able to regularly destroy bikes and bike components on a regular basis simply by mashing a tall gear. His riding style is typical of an inexperienced cyclist and not unusual in that regard. Cranks, in particular, including cheap ones, can withstand amazing amounts of abuse for long periods of time. He's either making some kind of mechanical error (e.g. installing incorrectly, forcing mismatched components together, or using BMX race cranks designed specifically for children) or he's exaggerating about how many cranks he's broken.

Last edited by mihlbach; 04-18-19 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-18-19, 02:47 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Big fish stories? On the Internet? *gasp*
Old 04-18-19, 03:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Peter Sagan also doesn't weight 200 lbs and push a 52/15t up hill routinely. The issue here is not power, it's torque.
Robert Förstemann weighs 198 lbs, and I wouldn't be surprised if he does the hill climbs with 52/12.

Nonetheless, the track cyclists put down a lot of low speed torque to wind up the speed quickly off the line, but spin very fast at the top end.

It would be interesting to see Robert Forstemann's component choices. It sure wouldn't do to have the crankset come flying apart during an Olympic sprint.

Ahhh.... here we go:

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/5148/...secret-gearing

52/12 sprockets.
Dura Ace 7700 crankset
Octalink bottom bracket.

Old 04-18-19, 03:25 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
As far as the cranks... I wouldn't go cheap.

It looks like the Dura Ace 7700 cranksets (above) are still popular with track cyclists.

They use Octalink V1.

I'd also look at the Sora 3500 series with Octalink V2

One might also look at one of many 24mm and 30mm cranksets. The early FSA carbon cranksets had some issues, but there would be a variety of new generation external bearing bottom brackets & cranksets that could serve the OP well.

And, of course, many of the new frames incorporate an internal bearing for the 30mm cranksets.
Old 04-18-19, 03:26 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,131 Times in 1,646 Posts
^
OP, that should work for ya
Old 04-18-19, 04:34 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Originally Posted by TMonk
^
OP, that should work for ya
He already said he purchased a sugino 75 direct drive set. I recommended that or DA 7710, precisely because they use larger diameter splined spindles.
Old 04-19-19, 08:12 AM
nlowe

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I did leave out some context, for those doubting. I started all of this at 295 pounds, and slowly fixed that issue over the last four years or so. I have zero doubt that I started with horrible form, and continue to maintain that. As my weight decreased, the frequency of the breakage did as well to be fair. My last crank arm break was in fall of 2018, so it has been a while. At around ~100 miles biked each week, metal fatigue sets in eventually. I always have a nagging thought of when and where it's going to happen again, but the hope is that the track crankset lasts long enough that I at least stop worrying before it breaks. I'm sure it will.

Pedal breakage is another problem, but I've essentially given up trying to fix that one. With a maximum shaft diameter past the standard pedal threading, steel can only do so much. I just keep a spare pair in my bag and change them twice a year as cheap preventative maintenance. Prior to changing pedals regularly, I rode home on one pedal many times.
Old 04-19-19, 03:33 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

That crankset is so far above everything else you’ve ridden, and you’ll figure that out the first time you ride it. Because it’s literally designed to handle greater stresses, more torque. But you need to work on your form. You can still climb up hills on a heavy gear to enjoy that challenge, without beating your cranks and pedals to death. Cyclists have literally been doing it for over a hundred years. I don’t say this because I don’t want you to piss away another $600 bucks. Because honestly if you have that kind of money to throw away, more power to you. But breaking cranks and pedals is dangerous, and one day you could end up seriously hurt or worse. Enjoy your new crankset. And if you have any technical questions about install or other issues, don’t hesitate to ask. There are plenty of knowledgable people on this sub forum. Cheers.
Old 04-29-19, 07:28 PM
BicycleBicycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Get some FGFS/BMX Cranks.
I bet you can find ooodles of used ones online. I always see some kind of FGFS bike for sale when I go on CL.
Here's an example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Demolition-Medial-2-0-BMX-Cranks-BLACK-165mm-Flatland-Fixed-Gear-FGFS/301891720514?epid=10021149639&hash=item464a261542:g:87QAAOSwCcZaBL2X
I would bet that if you're willing to go used, you could probably get something together for under $150, which is cheaper than 5 replacement crank arms.

I seriously doubt that you're going to snap BMX cranks by simply pedaling.

Also, the other people said to check your torque. I know that I rounded some crank arms by overtorquing.
Getting the torque right on those things is very important.

Last edited by BicycleBicycle; 04-29-19 at 07:35 PM.