Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Two Seconds

Old 05-19-19, 10:11 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Standing in my front yard this morning I saw an uncomfortably close call...Had the truck been two seconds earlier there is no doubt in my mind this would have been a crash. The cyclist doesn't wear a helmet…
Originally Posted by BobbyG
…And thank goodness it didn't end worse or that you had to witness anything like that.
Originally Posted by goldensprocket
Did he at least wave to you?
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads. They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.
and not just in knowledgeable discussion, but even in non sequiturs such as
Did he at least wave to you?
Look, the fact that you can't communicate on the forums like a normal person is no excuse for you not understanding a long-standing BF joke. Please pay attention in the future.

I now return you to your obsessive underlining, quoting, re-quoting, re-re-quoting and posting as if those compulsive exercises lend any credence to the pap that emanates from your keyboard.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…If I LIKE a post because it is witty, I assume the writer knows I got the joke. e.g.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
+1. I didn't see anyone during this 25 mile MUP ride that started pre-dawn. I did, however, see a giant porcupine. He wasn't on a leash and didn't wave.
Now that’s funny .
Originally Posted by Stun
My experience is that people drive differently in every city and treat cyclists very differently. The best advice often comes from cyclists that live the closest to you

The exception here would also be Jim from Boston--anyone that can successfully commute around Boston has my full respect and probably knows how to deal with about every intersection imaginable!
Originally Posted by chefisaac
LISTEN to @Jim from Boston

he knows his $hit!

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-20-19 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-20-19, 08:26 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Darwinism.

You get the same attitude with the door zone. Taking a crossing at a blind corner. And various non-cycling stuff, too. It seems some people create obviously-flawed methods to cut psychological corners/barriers for convenience.

I recon it's from the same nature that constantly promotes laziness in some people. The never-ending strive to do less and less, reflected in forming methods to install a false sense of security on hazards. And that little alarm bell deep in the back of their mind gets muted out, no longer appreciated, until the day it will tell you it told you so..
Old 05-20-19, 09:46 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,451 Times in 1,823 Posts
great ... Jim from D'uh knows his stuff ... but is he a giant unleashed porcupine? Does he wave?

Let's keep focused on the important issues.
Old 05-20-19, 09:49 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

As for the lucky rider in the first post ... as another said, he has probably gotten away with riding stupid for so long, talking to him would be worthless. Maybe a close call will change his habits .... but, whatever. Unfortunately there isn't much I can learn from this incident because fortunately I had already learned it.

First and second rules of the road: Don't have accidents. Don't cause accidents.

Of course, nowadays it is PC to call them "crashes."
Old 05-20-19, 09:50 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
great ... Jim from D'uh knows his stuff ... but is he a giant unleashed porcupine? Does he wave?

He's the 600 paragraph (nested quote) Gorilla in the Room. A true BF heavyweight. Ignore him at your own peril.
Old 05-20-19, 09:53 AM
Maelochs

Never forget this ... on a smooth surface, Jim from D'uh can out-dance any of us.

Not bad for a waving or a wave-free porcupine .....
Old 05-20-19, 02:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

Yeah, like whether he was wearing a helmet when he posted.
Old 05-20-19, 02:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

As for the lucky rider in the first post ... as another said, he has probably gotten away with riding stupid for so long, talking to him would be worthless. Maybe a close call will change his habits .... but, whatever. Unfortunately there isn't much I can learn from this incident because fortunately I had already learned it.

First and second rules of the road: Don't have accidents. Don't cause accidents.

Of course, nowadays it is PC to call them "crashes."
I actually chased a guy down once who had run a red light because I didn't think he'd known how close he came to being hit--a guy about 30 years younger than me. I told him what I'd seen and how close he had come to getting killed, and we ended up having a very nice chat and riding together for about a mile. He'd recently just come back to riding, and hadn't thought running red lights was a big deal, but said he'd have to rethink that.

Come to think of it, he wasn't wearing a helmet, but that didn't come up.
Old 05-20-19, 03:14 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
So, assuming that this gent realised that he had an uh-oh moment, do you think that he reflected on the incident any? I've made mistakes and roll them through my mind quite a bit knowing that they add to my road savvy. I'd be interested to know if your future observations of this rider show any adjustment.
Old 05-20-19, 05:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
So, assuming that this gent realised that he had an uh-oh moment, do you think that he reflected on the incident any? I've made mistakes and roll them through my mind quite a bit knowing that they add to my road savvy. I'd be interested to know if your future observations of this rider show any adjustment.
I don't know, but we had a very amiable chat, and actually went on to other subjects. I think he understood that the only reason I was telling him about it was because he scared the crap out of me and that I was sincere. I didn't yell at him or anything. We saw each other going opposite directions on a busy road about a month later, and yelled very friendly greetings to each other. I didn't choose to do a uturn in traffic to follow him to the next stoplight and observe.
Old 05-21-19, 04:49 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Based on the way he normally rides, I'd venture a guess that he won't change his behavior. I will see him again, I am certain. I'll refresh this thread when I do. More importantly, if he ever wises up and wears a helmet, I'll start a new thread on that! Waving is out of the question with this guy.
Old 05-24-19, 02:40 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
This thread reminded me of something, that is literally, 'close to home'.

The small town(pop. 500+) I live in. Recently had speed bumps installed. The main reason for the speed bumps. Is not just because people living outside the town. Were not only using the town as a cut-through. Those same individuals' were speeding through town(15MPH speed limit).

Now, With the speed bumps. It is problematic for my wheels. So, I can no longer do a biking workout, in town.
Old 05-24-19, 06:12 AM
Maelochs

Well, likely you were traveling at more than 15 mph if you were doing a workout ... so maybe the speed bumps were put there to slow You down.
Old 05-24-19, 06:15 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516

Now, With the speed bumps. It is problematic for my wheels. So, I can no longer do a biking workout, in town.
In my area, they cut out a couple of feet off the right edge of the speed bumps so cyclists could avoid them without going into the opposing lane.
Old 05-24-19, 06:01 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
In my area, they cut out a couple of feet off the right edge of the speed bumps so cyclists could avoid them without going into the opposing lane.
The town I live in. Won't make that kind of allowance for cyclists. So, They can't expect me to stop at STOP signs that have speed bumps.​​​​​