Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Backcountry shipping

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Backcountry shipping

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 05:07 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Backcountry shipping

It's been a while since I've ordered from Backcountry aka Competitive Cyclist.

I ordered some jerseys recently, got free 2 day shipping, and they took 6 days to arrive. Is this normal lately? Stuff falls through the cracks occasionally, I'm hoping this was a fluke. Can anybody who's ordered from them recently confirm?

I need a pair of trail runners by Sunday and can't get them locally in my size. Amazon has 1 day shipping, but I prefer not to buy from them.
Old 05-22-19, 07:49 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
IME 2 day shipping doesn't always mean 2 day picking, packing and shipping... even from amazon. I haven't ordered anything time-sensitive from back country so I have no relevant info there, sorry.
Old 05-22-19, 07:54 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Hey the shipping was free and not guaranteed 2 days.

I ordered a jersey from overseas with free shipping. it took 4 days for them to send shipping confirmation and over a week and it still hasn't arrived. I'll just wear one of the dozen or so others that i have till it arrives.
Old 05-22-19, 07:59 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Usually it's two days from when it ships, which is typically the day after I order. That usually means I'll have it in 3 days if I order on a Monday or Tuesday, longer if we cross the weekend, of course.

If you chat with a 'gearhead' before you order, I would not be surprised if they offer to expedite shipping for you if you order from them regularly.
Old 05-23-19, 06:23 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I regularly buy from Competitive Cycling. My experience has almost always been very positive. Recently, I ordered a Mavic UST wheel which was a 5-10 day shipping. For some reason, UPS handed it off to the USPS in St. Louis. I have no idea why. It got to me but it was every bit of 10 days. OTOH, they once shipped me the wrong wheel. When I called CC and told them, they shipped it over night and it got to me the next morning. Amazing.
Old 05-23-19, 06:48 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Call them and work with one of their "gearhead" reps.

They will give you free two day shipping on anything and free return labels if you work with a rep.

I received an order yesterday. It was two day shipping but took three.

-Tim-
Old 05-23-19, 07:59 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I need a pair of trail runners by Sunday and can't get them locally in my size.
Which shoes? I'm eyeing up the New Balance Summit Unknown now that I live within 2 miles of some nice trails.
Old 05-23-19, 10:17 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Call them and work with one of their "gearhead" reps.

They will give you free two day shipping on anything and free return labels if you work with a rep.

I received an order yesterday. It was two day shipping but took three.

-Tim-
Originally Posted by GuitarBob
Usually it's two days from when it ships, which is typically the day after I order. That usually means I'll have it in 3 days if I order on a Monday or Tuesday, longer if we cross the weekend, of course.

If you chat with a 'gearhead' before you order, I would not be surprised if they offer to expedite shipping for you if you order from them regularly.
​​​​​​Thanks, both of you. This is what I did, and they'll be here in plenty of time.

​​
Old 05-23-19, 10:19 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by joejack951
Which shoes? I'm eyeing up the New Balance Summit Unknown now that I live within 2 miles of some nice trails.
Arc'teryx Norvan SL

I don't know if they'll work for me or not. I prefer a minimal shoe, need one for hot weather. There are mesh uppers and just insanely light. A pound on your foot is like five on your back.
Old 05-23-19, 10:52 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Arc'teryx Norvan SL

I don't know if they'll work for me or not. I prefer a minimal shoe, need one for hot weather. There are mesh uppers and just insanely light. A pound on your foot is like five on your back.
I'm interested to hear how they work for you. I'm certainly intrigued by the specs.

If light/minimal is your thing, you may want to consider these, too: https://www.altrarunning.com/shop/tr...nId=340#hero=0
Old 05-23-19, 12:05 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

​​​​​​Thanks, both of you. This is what I did, and they'll be here in plenty of time.

​​

I really, really, really wanted a pair of the Norvan's but they were too narrow.
Old 05-23-19, 12:49 PM
Seattle Forrest

They might be for me, too.

I stay in a cabin in North Cascades NP for a week each summer, and bikes aren't allowed. Or practical. Trail running keeps my fitness up for that week, and is kind of fun.

I have a couple hikes coming up that I'm frankly intimidated by, feel like I could use all the help I can get.
Old 05-23-19, 05:58 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

They might be for me, too.

I stay in a cabin in North Cascades NP for a week each summer, and bikes aren't allowed. Or practical. Trail running keeps my fitness up for that week, and is kind of fun.

I have a couple hikes coming up that I'm frankly intimidated by, feel like I could use all the help I can get.

Yeah, I started trail running again in the past few weeks. It used to be a love of mine. Mostly at night with a headlamp.

Good luck on the hikes.

-Tim-
Old 05-23-19, 09:43 PM
Seattle Forrest

@TimothyH

I just got back from REI, I went for a shirt and tried some shoes on while I was there, including Merrell Trail Glove 4. I made a mistake in only buying one pair. They felt like slippers and have basically no weight. It was immediately obvious that it was a match made in heaven.

I'm sure this is extremely personal, like saddles. But these are wider than the Norvans, and lighter too. You should try a pair on.
Old 05-25-19, 03:39 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I have ordered from them 3 times in the past. Not counting the day of the order, I had them all in 2 days. Louisiana.
Old 05-26-19, 03:25 PM
Seattle Forrest

Thought I'd post an update.

Backcountry got the shoes to me in time, actually early.

The Merrell shoes are so comfortable, I would up using them instead. They're half the weight I'm used to, and that's like doing EPO.

I'm going to keep the Arc'teryx shoes and use them for water. They're insanely light and have a convenient clip point for carrying.

Due to a friend's schedule conflict, we went yesterday instead of today. Got two summits.
Old 05-27-19, 06:37 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
I've used them several times and shipping seemed plenty fast. Of course they are local to me so that helps.
Old 05-30-19, 09:42 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
It's been a while since I've ordered from Backcountry aka Competitive Cyclist.

I ordered some jerseys recently, got free 2 day shipping, and they took 6 days to arrive. Is this normal lately? Stuff falls through the cracks occasionally, I'm hoping this was a fluke. Can anybody who's ordered from them recently confirm?

I need a pair of trail runners by Sunday and can't get them locally in my size. Amazon has 1 day shipping, but I prefer not to buy from them.
I've bought from them very recently, placed an order on April 23rd and it was delivered on April 25th. So for me the 2-day shipping works.

Placed another order on April 27th, and that was delivered on May 1st. April 27th was a Saturday, so the 2-day shipping does work, only counting Mon-Fri.

I've been impressed with their shipping speeds in general!