Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Trike stability - please be kind!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Trike stability - please be kind!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-15, 09:53 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Congrats 3wheelgranny, just for getting out there! I am always amazed the respect shown my wife on her trike on paths. She has a Sun Miami 3 speed. She only rides flat ground, but even a quick turn will upset the trike. She has adapted well, but hasn't been on it this past year due to repeated illness. We do have her on a womens frame bike on a trainer that also clamps the fork. Makes for a sturdy unit for her. Hoping next spring to look atva tadpole trike for her. Balance issues...
Old 10-23-15, 09:18 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,807 Times in 1,053 Posts
A trike like yours handles a lot differently than an upright bicycvle. The biggest problem with your trike is the design. Two wheels in back is a more unstable design than two wheels in front...
Whether the two wheels should be in front or back is a debate that's been going on since the late 1870s

with no clear winner yet. Two wheels in front more stable? Hmm.

I will say that I'm confused that most adult upright trikes appear to sit as high as a similar bicycle. It seems that the BB could be ~5 cm lower on the trike (no leaning in corners --> no concern over pedal strike), lowering the CG of the rider+machine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
delta-tadpole.jpg (51.7 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpeg
low delta.jpeg (73.1 KB, 291 views)
upright tadpole.jpg (97.4 KB, 289 views)

Last edited by tcs; 10-23-15 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-23-15, 09:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
'Mr Bean' on his British comedy shows made fun of one particular lightweight 3 wheel car , 1 in the Front..

by showing it tipping over , often .. they were cheaper to register and licence being classified with Motorbikes.

[edited to move the wheel around]

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-23-15 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 10:07 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Smaller high pressure tires will make the trike a little more stable. They don't crush as easily, and this eliminates some of the wobble. As high pressure as you can get, but check to see if your wheels will take the high pressure. The crown in the road is something you can get used to just by doing it. Keep your body straight up and let the trike tip to the angle it needs to.

If you load the LEFT side of the basket, it will make the trike turn more to the right, not the left. Stand behind the trike put your left foot on the trike and push down, it will want to go RIGHT. If that is difficult just put a car battery on the left and ride it, it will want to go right. Load a heavy item as close to the middle of the basket as possible. I learned about this when using car batteries to power my trike when I had a motor on it. Go slow on corners and keep your body straight up.

If you really want to keep the kids occupied, get a little dog in the basket. Be prepared for lots of people wanting to see/pat the dog on every ride.

Attached Images
bike ride 6 15 12 035.jpg (100.3 KB, 281 views)
bike ride 6 15 12 039.jpg (46.4 KB, 282 views)
Old 10-23-15, 11:48 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by fietsbob
'Mr Bean' on his British comedy shows made fun of one particular lightweight 3 wheel car , 1 in the rear..
And on Top Gear they made fun of the instability of a three wheel car with one in the front. As you alluded in post #12, it's a C/G & stance & tire thing.

One in front, one in back.

Last edited by tcs; 10-23-15 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-23-15, 11:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

They aint got Doors and a Heater , of course neither does the Morgan , as they got older, as a company,
Morgan Added that 4th Wheel and called it the +4.

the Steering wheel attached to the front openingDoor of the Isetta Had 2 rear wheels though width was quite narrow,

https://www.google.com/search?q=Iset...UYIkogwVg2M%3A

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-23-15 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 01:06 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Reliant Robin?

https://youtu.be/QQh56geU0X8
Old 10-23-15, 02:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Loved It ! Dymaxion car was Bucky Fuller's offering to the world of tripod motoring ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dymaxion_car

Maybe that was what I was thinking of before..
Old 10-24-15, 04:34 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
My wife started out buying a trike like yours, they are lovingly referred to as 'granny trikes' or 'trailer park trikes' down here.
She hated the tall center of gravity tippy feel you speak of. Also your knee's can be easily Injured pushing/mashing down on the pedals when you need power from that seated position..
On the Recumbent EZ-3 you push power into the pedals from your hips using the oh so comfortable mesh seat back to push against.
Your Knee's will thank you,, The cost and pain of knee replacement makes the EZ-3 cost a non Issue..
We took it back to the bike shop and paid the extra coin for this Sun EZ-3

It will tip if a wheel falls off a sidewalk or you jerk the bars to one side above 4 or 5 mph and on fast sweeping turns I can rail it up on two wheels,, when my wife's not looking
It's her's but I ride it now and then, Both of us can keep up with regular Hybrid bikes. Even around the corners In our subdivision speed can be held just fine. Very Stable and visibility is just fine.
The seat cushion is 22 Inches above the ground and this makes the center of gravity much lower.
This effect would be the same as you modifying your up right trike by pushing the rear wheels about TWO feet farther apart...
making the trike dangerously wide and super heavy.

The Other factor, the longer wheel base, working in conjunction with the lower center of gravity means that any tipping motion happens rather slowly giving the rider plenty of time to correct.
The trike is so stable and medium speeds I can hike it up on two wheels and ride down the street like a two wheeled bicycle. (Only on one side) because it has only one drive wheel.
I have done this to show others it's stability a few times but only because I am not a large person, don't want to damage the wheel..

Unlike the Tadpole trikes I can see right over most car's hoods or trunk lids, I feel completely safe riding this Delta Trike.

We test rode a Tadpole and for us It was not the right trike.
We didn't need It's better performance,

Didn't like the tadpole's because of:

Invisible to cars when In close proximity, we ride near traffic.
Hands IMO dangerously close to spinning spokes~n~ tires,
Rocks and sand in the face, Our streets are not the groomed subdivision type ,,think Inner city.
Very Hard for my wife to get 'Down' Into and 'Up' out of......

Last edited by osco53; 11-29-16 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-24-15, 08:40 AM
tcs
Palmer

There are of course relatively high tadpole recumbent trikes (examples: Terratrike Rover, Greenspeed Magnum) and relatively low delta recumbent trikes (examples: Jouta XX, Rans Trizard).

Paired wheels in front or back - the eternal question:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
tadpole.jpeg (30.8 KB, 280 views)
File Type: png
cripper.png (20.0 KB, 281 views)
Old 10-24-15, 08:44 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
If I had to ride a trike, this would totally be on my list. Shoot, I would love to ride this downtown and show off to my C&V buds

Old 10-25-15, 07:44 AM
erileykc

Bikes: Raleigh Tourist, Jamis Coda, Rad City e-bike & a bright orange Citizen Miami folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Have you looked at either a cargo bike or a trailer for an ordinary bike? Every morning a young mom bikes her two toddlers past my window in helmets and kiddie seats. I've become a fan. I take it your load of nanny supplies doesn't lend itself to being broken into two bags that would fit in a pair of panniers. I do all my shopping on my bike with a pair of large panniers and it's work well for years, they are easy to take off when not needed.
Old 10-27-15, 09:48 AM
skye

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You'd be better off with a trike from the experts, like ICE, Catrike, or TerraTrike. Your problem is the very high center of gravity -- it's built in, no amount of playing with air-pressure or suspension will change it.

Visibility is NOT a problem with the lower trikes, don't let anybody fool you. I've ridden 7,000 miles on mine, I can think of only one close call, and that's because I wasn't paying attention.
Old 11-06-15, 05:39 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
We will be up there this weekend to see our daughter, and her new condo. No riding, unfortunately, its strictly a "mom needs a daughter fix weekend," and that is fine with dad, too. that is a nice area where you live, we have wandered around up there a few times.

Best wishes on the trike, just take it a few miles at a time, and don't try to rush things, getting used to the handling quirks is all a part of the game.

Bill
'

Bill,
Im up in Gainesville, GA. Since my heart "episode" a couple of years ago I don't ride as far or as fast, but if you want to get up to some nice country roads the next time you're in the Atlanta area, look me up.
Old 05-24-19, 12:09 PM
blisandt

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hallo!

I picked up one of the Schwinn adult trikes already pedal assist installed... it has a 48v 20aH Li ion and veritably FLIES for speed.. and I am not a light passenger!

I DO need to tighten the "binder bolt" however! The handlebar are slipping up and down (not left and right)!! There's a puzzling cap covering access to this bolt... any tips on getting under it?? It's so smooth, I could not see an edge to pry it off by!

Thanks in advance, and here's a picture of it!!

Old 05-24-19, 09:20 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Try posting a closeup picture of the handlebar. Most of us have never been close enough at a Schwinn trike to know what it looks like.
Old 05-25-19, 06:05 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Years ago, on an island with no rental cars, I rode one of those because it was the only transportation device available. I found it nearly unrideable. I think the problem is that, on a normal bicycle, one initiates a turn by leaning. Trikes don't lean, except when tipping over. I found my bike riding reflexes worked against me as I forced myself to think "car with handlebars." When I was very young and before I learned to ride a bicycle, I rode an upright geared trike and found it quite pleasant. I think that when you develop new habit patterns, the thing will become much better. Have you considered a bicycle? I think a fat-tired e-bike would be pleasant to ride -- I see a number of them on my commute.
Old 05-25-19, 07:29 AM
blisandt

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Try posting a closeup picture of the handlebar. Most of us have never been close enough at a Schwinn trike to know what it looks like.
LOL.

I was brave this morning and pried off what turned out to be a plastic cap. Needed underneath: an Allen wrench.. Job done! (working around the front basket (half removing it) was the hardest and most time-consuming part of the job!
Old 05-25-19, 01:13 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by blisandt
LOL.

I was brave this morning and pried off what turned out to be a plastic cap. Needed underneath: an Allen wrench.. Job done! (working around the front basket (half removing it) was the hardest and most time-consuming part of the job!
I praise your adventurous spirit and honor your success.
Old 05-25-19, 05:24 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by blisandt
Hallo!

I picked up one of the Schwinn adult trikes already pedal assist installed... it has a 48v 20aH Li ion and veritably FLIES for speed.. and I am not a light passenger!

I DO need to tighten the "binder bolt" however! The handlebar are slipping up and down (not left and right)!! There's a puzzling cap covering access to this bolt... any tips on getting under it?? It's so smooth, I could not see an edge to pry it off by!

Thanks in advance, and here's a picture of it!!

That's a nice looking trike. I think you will enjoy it. One minor suggestion, if those are red reflectors on the front of the basket, I suggest you switch to white on the front and keep the red on the back. A bike shop might have some white ones removed from peoples bikes. Possibly free.
My Schwinn trike is the one above in this thread with the dog in it. It was made in 1973.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 05-25-19 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-25-19, 08:40 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
find some places to ride with low amounts of traffic and get some good lights and reflectors
Old 05-26-19, 09:43 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmie65
Serious riders would never sneer at anyone on a bike path.
Nope. When there are scoffing comments made, that is the demographic they are most likely to come from.
Old 05-26-19, 10:47 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by skye
You'd be better off with a trike from the experts, like ICE, Catrike, or TerraTrike. Your problem is the very high center of gravity -- it's built in, no amount of playing with air-pressure or suspension will change it.

Visibility is NOT a problem with the lower trikes, don't let anybody fool you. I've ridden 7,000 miles on mine, I can think of only one close call, and that's because I wasn't paying attention.
Were those 7,000 miles of touring, rural roads, or urban commuting. I have been in love with tadpole trikes since I first saw one, but i ride in traffic too much, ,... and those trikes are below the hood line of normal cars ... and where I live huge SUVs and giant pick-ups are considered "normal."
Old 05-26-19, 03:34 PM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Hi 3 Wheel Granny; I like that username. My basic backstory; a couple decades since my last motorcycle accident, I started riding a trike. In 2016, I was 48 and my first adult tricycle was an iGlobalBuy 24" 7 speed. Rode it 1,800 miles in Long Beach, CA; including some hilly areas with crowns. May 2017, I broke my hip in a mountain bike crash, and had total hip replacement surgery. I did not ride for 6 months while recovering from surgery.

However, on Black Friday 2017, I purchased a Velor 24” 6 speed adult tricycle. Because I was living in Orange County and attending college in Los Angeles County, I’d ride 32 miles a day several times a week in addition to shorter rides throughout the week. I put 2,800 miles on that trike and now use it as a spare in emergencies.

In June, last year, I purchased and assembled a Schwinn Meridian 26” single-speed trike. Today, I have logged 3,762 miles on it, and it is still rolling smooth. I’m also 51 now; the years pass by and I gain experiences as they do. Releasing air from the tires is not a good idea on street bikes; in fact, keeping them inflated will allow for smoother rolling. Check them daily by touch, and with a gauge once a week – mine lose ~10 PSI/week, so I put it back in because it makes riding in the wind and on hills easier to peddle. Road crowns are a challenge to avoid but I ride them as slowly as needed and always look for leveler road surfaces; but only ride on them if it is safe. With practice, it gets better.

Congratulations on riding, and I hope you find a solution to riding road crowns.

June 28, 2018; Surf City beach bike path riding Schwinn Meridian (Olivia)

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Well - that's a unique and interesting problem!

I don't think letting air out of your tires is going to help. And nothing you do is going to help with your vertical position on the trike - you're going to have to lean to the left to counteract the effect of the crown of the road.

But you could sort of maybe put your heaviest loads on the left side of your basket (maybe even hang something on the outside) to help with the handling some. And look for more horizontal surfaces.
​​​​#

Originally Posted by 3wheelgranny
I'm just a fat old lady. I've been using a recumbent EXERCYCLE regularly enough to feel that I could start biking to work (I'm a nanny). BUT we have very hilly, narrow roads in downtown Atlanta, and I have to bring a big old suitcase full of non-stop entertainment to work every day, so I decided that an adult tricycle (upright, single-speed 26" Schwinn Meridian with a large basket) would be the way to go. I can carry my gear, AND I'm planning to add an e-bike kit to it to help with those hills. Bike arrived yesterday, finished assembly today, took it for a spin around the block.

WHOA! I had NOT anticipated the high-crowned center of the road to be so destabilizing! These are old neighborhoods, and cars are parked on both sides of the narrow streets. Even staying in the center of one lane, I'm tipped pretty far to my right, and steering is very difficult. I had to brake and pull over numerous times to avoid hitting a parked car or swerving into traffic.

I had decided against a recumbent because of visibility, but now I understand the appeal. I went crazy trying to find a place where I could try out, rent or borrow an adult trike before I ordered one cold, but I couldn't find anything in the entire state of Georgia. So I went with cheap, and I'm pretty much stuck with it now.

I'm going to let some of the air out of my tires, and see if that helps (they are pumped up to 60#), but, any other advice?

I'm not interested in attaining great speed; I just want to be able to cruise to work and the grocery store (each about a mile away) and maybe open her up if I can find a bike trail that isn't populated by "serious" riders who sneer at the tubby girl on the wobbly trike.
Old 05-28-19, 08:14 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Do you realize 3wheelgranny hasn't posted on Bike Forums since October 2015? She is not likely to see anything you post here. Apparently she learned what she needed and then went away.

I really get a chuckle about the comments about not being seen on a recumbent trike. It's not wise to slide up alongside a vehicle that might be turning right at a stop sign or a traffic light but that is true for any bike as well. If a driver can't see this trike he ought to turn in his drivers license and buy a white cane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.