Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Reynolds assaults and tubeless???

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-19, 12:39 PM
Lrdchaos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

Just picked up a set of Reynolds Assaults and Schwalbe one tires for my cannon dale ss evo. I’m thinking about going tubeless, has anyone ran tubeless on these wheels or in general? Would you recommend staying with tubes? I run tubeless on my mb and love it, so I thought I would try it out on my rb.
Old 05-26-19, 12:49 PM
mantis
Don't Bug Me

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0 Disc, Cervelo S2, Look 585, Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
I’m running Continental Force/Attack tubeless with my Reynolds AR 58/62 FB wheels on my Canyon. It’s a new set up but so far it’s working out great. Took me a few rides to get used to the lower tire pressures needed with tubeless after riding tubes forever.
Old 05-26-19, 12:51 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos
Just picked up a set of Reynolds Assaults and Schwalbe one tires for my cannon dale ss evo. I’m thinking about going tubeless, has anyone ran tubeless on these wheels or in general? Would you recommend staying with tubes? I run tubeless on my mb and love it, so I thought I would try it out on my rb.
If you already have tubeless ready wheels and tires, try it out yourself. It’s a low financial risk experiment.
Old 05-26-19, 08:15 PM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
I’m running tubeless on Ultegra 6800s and Mavic wheels (both sets with Yksion Pro UST tires). I haven’t run them long enough, but so far I’m enjoying the low-pressure ride comfort and lower rolling resistance (very noticeable on my Ultegras conversion). At about 500 miles, no flats. If I can keep the maintenace at home (sealant, plugging, patching, etc.) and not on the road I will be sold.
Old 05-26-19, 10:16 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I ran tubeless on my Assaults for a season. Went to the Pro One tyres and Stan's sealant. Loved the setup. Tyres rode brilliantly. The only reason I told the wheels is because I bought a new bike with disc brakes. Had I not bought a new bike, I'd still be riding the tubeless Assault setup.

As an aside, the fellow I sold the wheels to decided to ride the Assaults with a tyre/tube. After flatting a bunch of times on the same ride, he switch over to a tubeless setup and he's been happy ever since.
Old 05-27-19, 08:24 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I run my Assaults tubeless. The first few sets of tires were a learning experience (okay, they were a bit of a *****), but mounting/unmounting has been great as my experience has grown and technique improved.

With a couple of flats that required a tube (and possibly a boot), I will say that I've had a hard time getting the beads to seat properly. I obviously have limited experience in this regard, so take it with a grain salt, but I've seen one or two others express the same thing online.
Old 05-27-19, 08:31 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I run my Assaults tubeless. The first few sets of tires were a learning experience (okay, they were a bit of a *****), but mounting/unmounting has been great as my experience has grown and technique improved.

With a couple of flats that required a tube (and possibly a boot), I will say that I've had a hard time getting the beads to seat properly. I obviously have limited experience in this regard, so take it with a grain salt, but I've seen one or two others express the same thing online.
I've found that having a spare tire, mounted with a tube on an old wheelset, makes things much easier in the future.
Old 05-27-19, 08:43 AM
Lrdchaos

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
I appreciate the info! I’ll plan on running them Tubeless for now and see how it goes. I always carry an extra tube with me so that shouldn’t be an issue.