Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

EF + Rapha & Non Traditional Races

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

EF + Rapha & Non Traditional Races

Old 01-11-19, 04:03 PM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Hot damn! New kits and bikes look good. Also pumped they are doing Three Peaks cyclocross race. Wonder who'll take that one.

https://www.efprocycling.com/explore-the-world/
Old 01-17-19, 11:46 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
1. I think the US or at least the Americas as a whole should organize and focus on themselves as much as the Europeans as so insular and egocentric about the cycling world revolving around 3 grand tours and monuments within a land area the size of Texas.

2. The Americas should organize enough that they put up a legitimate grand tour alternative. It doesn't have to be a 3 week race. It could be an omnium of the most popular Americas based cycling events that puts up some big money for the winners. An omnium of Tour of California or Utah, Dirty Kanza, and another option.

We can't continue to pay homage to a group of countries and cycling culture that clearly does NOT want us there. Why you think the American dopers vs. Euro dopers dichotomy exists? Euro centric cycling culture.

I'm not a nationalist, at all. But the US and the Americas has to stand up for itself and figure out what works for us instead of trying to setup our entire system just to funnel one to two US riders to the world tour each year.

That's really freaking sad to thing all of USACycling in the past has been setup pretty much to try to get riders to "that show" with pretty dismal results when we could be focusing on "OUR SHOW" instead.
Old 01-17-19, 01:32 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
1. I think the US or at least the Americas as a whole should organize and focus on themselves as much as the Europeans as so insular and egocentric about the cycling world revolving around 3 grand tours and monuments within a land area the size of Texas.

2. The Americas should organize enough that they put up a legitimate grand tour alternative. It doesn't have to be a 3 week race. It could be an omnium of the most popular Americas based cycling events that puts up some big money for the winners. An omnium of Tour of California or Utah, Dirty Kanza, and another option.

We can't continue to pay homage to a group of countries and cycling culture that clearly does NOT want us there. Why you think the American dopers vs. Euro dopers dichotomy exists? Euro centric cycling culture.

I'm not a nationalist, at all. But the US and the Americas has to stand up for itself and figure out what works for us instead of trying to setup our entire system just to funnel one to two US riders to the world tour each year.

That's really freaking sad to thing all of USACycling in the past has been setup pretty much to try to get riders to "that show" with pretty dismal results when we could be focusing on "OUR SHOW" instead.
Not exactly true. Lance was just plain a gigantic jagoff and a frankly awful human being, in addition to being a cheat. Then Floyd "Fairness Fund" (LOL), and Zabriskie denied it, and Hamilton denied it...all lying through their teeth and everyone knew it. Froome is less and less welcome (and is getting the same treatment)...but Froome, at least, wasn't a complete jagoff throwing his own teammates under the bus and ruining their names/careers lying about it.

Meanwhile gravel races and the like, in the USA, have a massive popular following....because they are antithetical to Tour of California and Utah. They're grassroots and don't have an officiating organizing body. They also are events where anyone can enter, not just multi-million-dollar-teams with top riders. Which is antithetical to racing series and organizing bodies.

The thing about gravel riding/racing...it is a throwback to the Old Days of TdF before it was exclusively a race for selected professionals. With team convoys, and team camper vans, and team hotels, team masseuses, and team wrenches that would literally fix your bike while you stood there. Which is why it is so popular, here. Also there's lots of dirt roads to choose from. Old school hard-man style rides/races. It works, and we know it does--which is why those rides/races need a lottery system to make it fair to get in on them...because the registration day otherwise crashes BikeReg with interested riders.
Old 01-21-19, 04:33 PM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep

I'm not a nationalist, at all... the Europeans as so insular and egocentric...
hmm.

In my short 2 years of European living experience I've noticed that on a whole people's awareness of cycling is 10x more than the people I would interact with in the states. Friends that I have here could care less about riding a bike, but would love to talk about how they are from a small town in the Pyrenees that the Tour passes through. In the US, I would cycle with friends that wouldn't have the slightest clue as to what's happening at the World Tour.

I think evidence shows that the US doesn't have a large market for World Tour races. That is ok. I don't think it's a us vs. them mentality. I think its: Europe has a market, history and wealth of pro-cycling racing. The US does not. The US "scene" has a lot of great things going for it. World Tour races, and professional road racing is not really a great thing at the moment for the US.

If a US rider is interested in riding World Tour in mostly European races. How is that a bad thing? Why does it have to be a go USA! USA! USA! thing?? Why is our nationality so important?? The racers love racing bikes, there is great bike racing in Europe! What is wrong with that?
Old 01-29-19, 03:18 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Personally, I think this move by EF is really smart. It's definitely a good way to get your brand out there. And, by nature of being the first team to do it, it will be fairly big news this year which means lots of exposure. I'll definitely tune in to see what happens.