Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Harvard guy says cycling just not "sustainable..."

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Harvard guy says cycling just not "sustainable..."

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-19, 03:42 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Yeh he'd need a very advanced search function to see future BF posts. I'm just bragging that I nailed it.
Really? You? Brag? Either you cliffed noted his work or you didn’t bother to read his work.

-mr. bill
Old 04-11-19, 04:07 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill

Really? You? Brag? Either you cliffed noted his work or you didn’t bother to read his work.

-mr. bill
True I'm usually modest when speaking with lesser lights (and I don't mean livedarklions), but everyone needs to brag occasionally.
Old 04-12-19, 07:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
True I'm usually modest when speaking with lesser lights (and I don't mean livedarklions), but everyone needs to brag occasionally.

Speaking of lesser lights, is it time to start another "your strobe is too bright for the bike path" thread?

Actually, I've only done a few hundred miles riding so far this year, but I'm sensing that some people have mellowed out a little bit from the airplane-spec strobes they were running last year. Season is still young, though.

Just to keep this on topic, I think the least efficient strategy energy-wise is eating vegans whether or not they're driving a Prius.
Old 04-12-19, 08:06 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Speaking of lesser lights, is it time to start another "your strobe is too bright for the bike path" thread?..
FWIW, anti-glare night driving sunglasses eliminate almost all of the problem if you're bothered by bright bike headlights. I have something like this https://www.amazon.com/Night-Vision-...dp/B0719S97TH/
Old 04-12-19, 08:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

FWIW, anti-glare night driving sunglasses eliminate almost all of the problem if you're bothered by bright bike headlights. I have something like this https://www.amazon.com/Night-Vision-...dp/B0719S97TH/

Thanks, but I can't wear yellow lenses because my color blindness then makes it impossible to read stoplights. (Please don't tell me which one is on the top--I can't actually tell which light is illuminated, it looks like all three are off) I also think it's ridiculous to make people wear sunglasses on cloudy days because a few people can't figure out that a strobe that can be seen at a half mile is absolutely inappropriate if you're going to be passing oncoming cyclists within a couple feet of each other.

Bright headlights don't bother me. Bright STROBING headlights blinking at a fast rate are an absolute hazard on bike paths, and should be illegal.

I believe the Minuteman now has signs telling people to turn the damn things off.

My fault for starting this digression, so please don't take it as rudeness if I don't respond further on this issue in this thread.
Old 04-12-19, 10:01 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Bright headlights don't bother me. Bright STROBING headlights blinking at a fast rate are an absolute hazard on bike paths, and should be illegal.

I believe the Minuteman now has signs telling people to turn the damn things off.

My fault for starting this digression, so please don't take it as rudeness if I don't respond further on this issue in this thread.
NP, I'm just playing the straight-man here.
Old 04-14-19, 05:29 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
This is pretty much like many things coming out of colleges. All theory, and NO actual experience in the real world. I have seen those types all my life.

Those that can do, those that cant teach, those that cant teach, teachers. Pretty much puts that guy in the position he is in.
Old 04-14-19, 06:02 AM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I only use a strobing headlight in the city, out on country roads and bike paths it's steady mode only.
Old 04-14-19, 09:07 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
This is pretty much like many things coming out of colleges. All theory, and NO actual experience in the real world. I have seen those types all my life.

Those that can do, those that cant teach, those that cant teach, teachers. Pretty much puts that guy in the position he is in.
It’s time to retire both of these old chestnuts. I’ve worked for 40 year as with people who are “coming out of colleges”. Yes, they can benefit from some experience but they aren’t exactly idiots. They went to college and learned the “theory” behind their work. They are willing to learn more about the theory as they work. People who don’t learn anything about the “theory” usually don’t know that much about what they are doing.

As for teaching, try teaching someone something without “doing it”. In my experience, people who say that teachers can’t “do”, can’t teach. Someone taught you. Are you saying that they were incompetent?
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-14-19, 10:10 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I think that the phrase, "Those that cannot do, teach" stems from the idea that not everyone can succeed in a competitive field, and people who might have mastered all the basics still might not be able to apply them as well as some other guy ... for instance, not every engineer is as good as every other at seeing solutions, inventing workarounds, etc. They might all know all the theory, but some can apply it more readily.

Or take a "Professor of Music" (I actually know one.) Not every music teacher can maker it as a playing musician (in fact, for most types of pop music, actually knowing about music might be a drawback ... just wear the makeup and act and the engineers will make the music.) The guy I have in mind did all his classical guitar stuff for his degree---I went to his recital, and his technique was amazing---and he played for several years in working bands, but (as most musicians do) realized that having a passion for music, a great deal of knowledge about music, a strong understanding of music law and the music business, and great playing technique, only guarantees that you can always find a gig as a bar band .... This guy toured for a while playing small venues, but after a while, it gets old, and unless you are one of the lucky few, ... suddenly things like health insurance, a home, a reliable car, a family you can see more than once a month ... and a future ... all start to make sense.

So know he teaches at a prestigious music institute.

As fro this specific case ... the kid wrote a ridiculous paper ... but as I have noted elsewhere, there are a lot of ridiculous research projects being done just because some company is willing to fund them. Not every university professor, university student, or university graduate is necessarily "smart," as much as "educated," which might mean no more than the person has a good memory (I got through school that way. No clue what I I learned or what any of it means, but I could regurgitate chunks of text or lectures I didn't even know i had memorized .... )

Nothing is guaranteed. That teacher might be the best mind in his or her field or might be barely hanging on to tenure and barely able to understand what s/he is barely able to teach. That student might be a year away from deriving Unified Theory or barely able to make a passing grade even after bribing his tutors to write his papers.

In any case ... This specific paper was a pile of pusillanimous idiocy, I think we can all agree.
Old 04-14-19, 11:22 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I think that the phrase, "Those that cannot do, teach" stems from the idea that not everyone can succeed in a competitive field, and people who might have mastered all the basics still might not be able to apply them as well as some other guy ... for instance, not every engineer is as good as every other at seeing solutions, inventing workarounds, etc. They might all know all the theory, but some can apply it more readily.
The roots of the phrase are much deeper than that. It goes to our (rather unique) American anti-intellectualism. I’ve been hearing it for eons from people who are uneducated. I’ve heard it even after I became educated from the same people. It makes people who haven’t gone through the rather difficult process of getting an education feel better about themselves because they have all this “common sense”. It’s the same “common sense” that results in a lot of people “...knowing what ain’t so.” Yes, there are some engineers (scientists, doctors, tax accountants, etc) that are better than others. But what they all have in common is that they have been educated. Even the good engineers aren’t uneducated.

In education...especially higher level education...teachers teach as well as “do” work in their fields. Even primary and secondary educators have to undergo constant training in their subject so that they stay relevant. And we require that they do that on their own dime while paying them a pittance.

Finally, for those who use the saying, go out and try to teach someone how to do what you do. It’s not all that easy. It really does help to have “done” what you are teaching. I’ve been teaching people how to work on bikes for the last 15 months in a class setting and for the last 10 years in Fix Your Bike hours. It ain’t as easy as just “doing it”. I can fix most anything on a bicycle in a few seconds to a few minutes. Teaching someone how to do something takes a whole lot longer and takes a lot more effort.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-14-19, 12:21 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

"What do you mean, you don't think it's worth fighting over??!! This Is the Internet!!!!"
Old 04-14-19, 12:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Robotics will replace you and so you wont be needed ,ride your bike in the interim..
Old 04-14-19, 01:58 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Robotics will replace you and so you wont be needed ,ride your bike in the interim..
I hope if robots ever replace us that we all get a monthly payment from the feds that collected it from corporations, because it not then what the heck will people do to make money if there are no jobs?
Old 04-14-19, 02:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
"No Mr Bond, ... I expect you to Die..."
Old 04-14-19, 09:11 PM
greatscott

Your comment had me shaken, but not stirred.
Old 04-16-19, 02:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by greatscott
I only use a strobing headlight in the city, out on country roads and bike paths it's steady mode only.

That makes sense.
Old 04-20-19, 07:18 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
To me the guy from Harvard sitting at his desk is about as believable as a drunk sitting in a bar watching a football game and telling everyone what the coaches should do.
Old 04-20-19, 01:27 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
To me the guy from Harvard sitting at his desk is about as believable as a drunk sitting in a bar watching a football game and telling everyone what the coaches should do.
Bazinga !!
Old 04-21-19, 01:25 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Then, we best stop reproducing... we keep making more and more of ourselves... more than enough, as the population continues to grow.. . Although I recently hear that the rate of growth in the US IS declining.
Old 04-21-19, 08:42 AM
cyccommute 

Except that the guy from Harvard admitted he made a mistake and published it. No drunk sitting in a bar would do the same.

What most people don’t understand about science is that nothing is written in stone...nor should it be. Everything is up for review as long as the data backs up the review. You can’t just say “that’s wrong” in science but you can say “that’s wrong and here is why”. Basically, you have to show your work.

On the other hand, because of this system of having to show why something is wrong rather than just stating “it’s wrong”, once something is shown to be right, it is very difficult to show that it is wrong. “Theories” in science are much stronger statements than “theory” in causal conversation. They aren’t just “ideas”...that’s a hypothesis in science and a starting point much like the Harvard student’s work...they are backed by years of work by dozens to thousands of other people’s work.

Old 04-21-19, 09:02 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Don't electric cars run on Pixie dust? Or do they run on power that comes from burning fossil fuels, nuclear fission, hydroelectric, wind, or solar PRODUCED energy?

Obviously it would be more efficient to just put fossil fuels in the gas tank than burn the fuel at a remote plant to convert it to electricity (which uses energy in the process), then waste energy pumping that power miles though power lines, then have the car convert that energy into turning the wheels. Fossil fuels are darned efficient. This is why we use them.

I'm certain most of us know that nuclear power comes with a price to pay in harmful byproducts and hydroelectric dams are generally environmental nightmares that destroy rivers and natural habitats for all sorts of creatures. Windmills slice and dice migrating birds like there is no tomorrow and are regionally specific. Solar energy comes pretty close to Pixie dust and about as close to a free lunch as we can get so far, but how many electric cars are 100% powered by solar these days?

Don't even get me started on the environmental impacts of battery manufacture and disposal.

The gas-powered Geo Metro was the answer. An electric version would have been cool as well. But the American people opted for monster trucks instead. We had our chance but chose the shortest road to disaster.

Electric cars are not the answer. Fewer cars is the answer. Fewer people though ZPG (zero population growth) would be a big help to the environment as well, and a nice start to fewer motor vehicles. If we cut our emissions in half but double the population, what's the point?
If your mention of "Prius" and "electric car" are jointly in your premises, be aware that most Prius' are hybrids, not electric. They blend electric technology with IC engine technology and aggressive aerodynamics to reduce fuel consumption relative to other cars of similar capacity.
Old 04-21-19, 09:17 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Except that the guy from Harvard admitted he made a mistake and published it. No drunk sitting in a bar would do the same.

What most people don’t understand about science is that nothing is written in stone...nor should it be. Everything is up for review as long as the data backs up the review. You can’t just say “that’s wrong” in science but you can say “that’s wrong and here is why”. Basically, you have to show your work.
The issue is that sometimes, for fame or funding, "scientists" (or in this case, students) do really shoddy work, publish it, and popularize it, and no one sees the retraction ... or nobody tests the experiment to see if the experiment can be replicated.

Some people really do science, and some do quackery ... and some lay people have elevated science into a religion.

Real science---the kind that says, "This is what we did, these are our results, and this is what we think it means" is great. A very useful tool, which has brought a lot of benefit to mankind.

But apotheosizing everyone in a lab coat is kind of silly. There is a lot of bad science out there. There are people looking to make money and earn fame, who are willing to exaggerate, lie, distort ... The field is no longer pure.

I am Not against science. But making excuses for really shoddy science, and passing off the rush to publish and popularize unsound work, only encourages the bad behavior.

Just as with bad cops and bad priests ... if only the tiniest percentage does wrong, the whole institution is tainted and people lose faith. Call out the bad ones to restore faith in the good ones.
Old 04-21-19, 07:32 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Maelochs
The issue is that sometimes, for fame or funding, "scientists" (or in this case, students) do really shoddy work, publish it, and popularize it, and no one sees the retraction ... or nobody tests the experiment to see if the experiment can be replicated.

Some people really do science, and some do quackery ... and some lay people have elevated science into a religion.

Real science---the kind that says, "This is what we did, these are our results, and this is what we think it means" is great. A very useful tool, which has brought a lot of benefit to mankind.

But apotheosizing everyone in a lab coat is kind of silly. There is a lot of bad science out there. There are people looking to make money and earn fame, who are willing to exaggerate, lie, distort ... The field is no longer pure.

I am Not against science. But making excuses for really shoddy science, and passing off the rush to publish and popularize unsound work, only encourages the bad behavior.

Just as with bad cops and bad priests ... if only the tiniest percentage does wrong, the whole institution is tainted and people lose faith. Call out the bad ones to restore faith in the good ones.
Several issues. First, this wasn’t a “publication”. It was a blog post. That’s more like an article in a magazine or newspaper. A more rigorous “publication” of his results would have had to be subjected to review by people who are familiar with the field. He could have still gotten it wrong but it’s far less likely that a bad assumption would have gotten out.

Second and more importantly, the student was willing to reassess his assumptions like any good scientist would. I think his new assumptions are still wrong(ish) but the fact that he is willing to reassess his assumptions is a positive sign.

Additionally, bad science...or even wrong science...can’t be discovered without science. Nothing else can check it. Bad science, be it Piltdown man, anti-vaxing, climate change denial, Lorenzo’s oil, cold fusion or any of a thousand other either outright frauds or mistakes can’t be exposed by any other means than science. Even honest mistakes...and there are a number of them and they are constant...can only be corrected by other people doing science. No quack has every been exposed expect by science.

In fact, no other human endeavor has such a built in check system. It is the single most important tool we have to find the way to truth.

Old 04-21-19, 07:54 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
If your mention of "Prius" and "electric car" are jointly in your premises, be aware that most Prius' are hybrids, not electric. They blend electric technology with IC engine technology and aggressive aerodynamics to reduce fuel consumption relative to other cars of similar capacity.
True! The hybrid with the qualities you mentioned are a good way to go as "electric" cars go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.