Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Assisting a down cyclist when first-responders are already on site?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Assisting a down cyclist when first-responders are already on site?

Old 04-18-19, 10:21 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
"Crime scene"?? What crime scene? Please scroll up to post 19. You've made a lot of stuff up about this event. It's kinda entertaining.

Do you understand that I did "stay out of the darn way"???

As a self-anointed advocate, I will continue to work with organizations to make the roads & trails safer and more inviting for all people that want to use bikes for transportation, fitness, fun, etc. This includes engagement with the local PD to help them be their best when they respond to a person injured while biking; therefore, there will be no need to "insert myself" in a "crime scene".

Fun talk ... cheers.
It's an unfortunate reality that when you post a topic, many will come in looking to turn it around on you. They think it's cute, clever or comical. It's not. It's a tired cliche, and it only serves to discourage meaningful discussion. Sometimes I take preemptive action in my posts and sometimes I let people make fools of themselves. You certainly had several here waiting in line to do so.
Old 04-18-19, 10:59 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
It's an unfortunate reality that when you post a topic, many will come in looking to turn it around on you. They think it's cute, clever or comical. It's not. It's a tired cliche, and it only serves to discourage meaningful discussion. Sometimes I take preemptive action in my posts and sometimes I let people make fools of themselves. You certainly had several here waiting in line to do so.
Cops and ambulances there. A car had hit a bike. That's a potential crime. Therefore that's a crime scene.

No one turned anything around.
Old 04-18-19, 11:15 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Cops and ambulances there. A car had hit a bike. That's a potential crime. Therefore that's a crime scene.

You need to learn to read and comprehend - this is a large thread but not a massive thread, you can read it through in a few minutes. Moreover, I already told you directly which post has the key information. Therefore, it is clear to me that you're turning things around or don't care to read the information presented or simply trollolol ... Here's the cliff notes: There was a report of a car involved in the OP, and I later stated that there may not have been a car involved - I'm not sure, cause I stayed away and minded my own business. But please continue to make stuff up about an event you did not witness.

Oh and I thought you were outta here?? Please go back to advocating how people should or shouldn't obey traffic laws and other things that annoy you while bike commuting. Thanks!
Old 04-18-19, 11:16 AM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
What a bunch of angst, misplaced aggression, and one good post from @Phil_gretz.

Some people really believe cops would not take care of an accident victim if that victim had been riding a bicycle. Really? Have Any real-world experience to back that up? ,or just a general sense that nobody likes cyclists? (By the way, paranoia is treatable. Seek help.)

"Advocate' for the victim? That is a meaningless phrase. Unless you are a witness, all you can do is get in the way. I don't think some random stranger walking up to the scene telling first responders, "I ride a bicycle, let me tell you what to do" is going to be helpful in any way.

The guy who helped phil_gretz was really helpful. And aside from suggesting that the bike go into the ambulance, there was nothing much the Good Samaritan did once the first responders arrived. So ... there is a real world lesson in how to "advocate" for a downed cyclist.
I know from experience that police can lie on accident reports with no repercussion. I don't expect police to be prejudgemental to cyclists, but it does happen.
Old 04-18-19, 11:47 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
I'm out.

Interesting that you didn't keep your word and that you came back to respond to a post that didn't single you out.
Old 04-18-19, 11:54 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Interesting that you didn't keep your word and that you came back to respond to a post that didn't single you out.
I'll post when and where I feel like posting, thank you.

I'm just not playing the OP's little semantics game anymore.

Let me summarize this thread...

OP: Should I have stuck my nose into this situation?

Thread: No. You had no business sticking your nose into that situation. Doing so would have been dangerous to interfere with the well trained first responders.

OP: Okay. Well I didn't stick my nose into that situation.

Thread: Good. It would have been stupid if you had.

OP: It would not have been stupid! I'm an advocate! That's a promotion from being a mere enthusiast! It would have been helpful! But I didn't actually stick my nose into the situation so you're not allowed to say it was a stupid idea because ambiguous insult of police officers!

Thread: No, seriously. It's a stupid idea whether you did it or not. Good job for not doing it. Being an advocate doesn't give you any authority to do anything. And cops are not bad guys.

OP: Why is everyone mad at me!? I'm an advocate! I promote biking! And I never said anything bad about cops!

Thread: Here is where you complain about cops.

OP: Straw man arguments everywhere! No one read the thread!

Thread: Yes. We did. It was a dumb idea to get involved. You didn't get involved so good job. Here's why it was a dumb idea so you understand and correctly choose not to get involved next time.

OP: NO ONE IS READING ANYTHING!!!!!

Thread: Okay.

Last edited by Skipjacks; 04-18-19 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-18-19, 12:29 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,451 Times in 1,823 Posts
I sincerely hope none of us are at our best in these posting.
Old 04-18-19, 12:36 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

I'll post when and where I feel like posting, thank you.

I'm just not playing the OP's little semantics game anymore.

Let me summarize this thread...

OP: Should I have stuck my nose into this situation?

Thread: No. You had no business sticking your nose into that situation. Doing so would have been dangerous to interfere with the well trained first responders.

OP: Okay. Well I didn't stick my nose into that situation.

Thread: Good. It would have been stupid if you had.

OP: It would not have been stupid! I'm an advocate! That's a promotion from being a mere enthusiast! It would have been helpful! But I didn't actually stick my nose into the situation so you're not allowed to say it was a stupid idea because ambiguous insult of police officers!

Thread: No, seriously. It's a stupid idea whether you did it or not. Good job for not doing it. Being an advocate doesn't give you any authority to do anything. And cops are not bad guys.

OP: Why is everyone mad at me!? I'm an advocate! I promote biking! And I never said anything bad about cops!

Thread: Here is where you complain about cops.

OP: Straw man arguments everywhere! No one read the thread!

Thread: Yes. We did. It was a dumb idea to get involved. You didn't get involved so good job. Here's why it was a dumb idea so you understand and correctly choose not to get involved next time.

OP: NO ONE IS READING ANYTHING!!!!!

Thread: Okay.
WOW! It's awesome to have you sum up a thread with only 56 posts - and a significant number of the posts are yours - and yet you can still fall flat on your face doing it. Plus you found a way to make yourself look like a hero and the Toad look like a cop hating !?&#. [/slow clap]

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 04-18-19 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-18-19, 12:38 PM
Skipjacks

I'm usually much snarkier.

Forgive me. It's an off day.

I'll do better next time.

Old 04-18-19, 12:39 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Yeah, probably not, but the important question is......... are we having a good time ? (i think it's been largely pretty funny! ):
Old 04-18-19, 12:40 PM
Skipjacks

Plus you found a way to make yourself look like a hero and the Toad look like a cop hating !?&#.
Oh, you noticed?

See, I knew we could find common ground and agree on something.

I always say, if you just keep talking to people you'll eventually come to an agreement.
Old 04-18-19, 12:41 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
If you aren't there to offer first aid, didn't witness the incident, aren't related to anyone involved, and don't own the property where the incident occurred, you have nothing to offer. Get out of the way and let the first responders and/or police do their work. If you want to advocate for cyclists, join an advocacy organization, call your elected officials, and write letters to editor, but don't get in the way of people trying to work.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 04-18-19, 12:46 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Oh, you noticed?

See, I knew we could find common ground and agree on something.

I always say, if you just keep talking to people you'll eventually come to an agreement.
You're my hero Keep using your super powers to misrepresent random strangers on the interwebs.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 04-18-19 at 03:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-18-19, 02:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Speaking of cops, cops sure do like coffee. I'm not a cop, but I like coffee. Mommy, daddy, please stop fighting!

Go to my happy place, and have some coffee.

Damned if I can figure what this thread was about.
Old 04-19-19, 06:20 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I said "respect", not "mistreat", there is a significant difference. So you misread (misrepresented) the quote you used. Please check your personal biases and read the post as written, kthxbye.
Do you realize how ironic this statement is?
You are asking someone to check their personal biases in the middle of a thread that you started based upon your own personal biases towards a police office that you stated was openly hostile towards you.
The entire misguided point of your thread is that you were once mistreated so now are concerned that any/all other police officers will mistreat someone based upon your ‘personal’ experience.
The thread is the very definition of personal bias
Old 04-19-19, 06:45 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Do you realize how ironic this statement is?
You are asking someone to check their personal biases in the middle of a thread that you started based upon your own personal biases towards a police office that you stated was openly hostile towards you.
The entire misguided point of your thread is that you were once mistreated so now are concerned that any/all other police officers will mistreat someone based upon your ‘personal’ experience.
The thread is the very definition of personal bias
Reference post 22
I know that this is like herding cats ... but can we stop with this false narrative that somebody 'hates' all police officers because of one comment/story. With roughly 18,000 state and local law enforcement agencies and over 100,000 officers in the US - there some are heroes and some are low-lifes and a whole lot of officers between this two extremes.
Old 04-19-19, 07:35 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,451 Times in 1,823 Posts
Maybe people who don't want to be associated with a comment shouldn't make that comment the centerpiece of the third post of the thread? And in fact ... the Justification for the entire thread?

Not taking sides here---I think the whole discussion is ridiculous ... but the only reason anyone suggested "advocating" for a downed cyclist was because that person had a bad experience with a cop once. It is the Justification for the thread. The whole premise of the thread is that a cyclist needs an advocate because the cops are against cyclists.
Some police are openly hostile to people riding bikes …..
If the OP didn't want people to get that impression maybe the OP shouldn't have made a post saying that was the situation.

Oh, I'm sorry ... did that make too much sense?

(By the way ... I have personally experienced a cop lying on the witness stand about me. I know two others with similar experiences. And I am a big fan of cops in general. But I would never start a thread saying "Cops are liars" without explaining that I support all cops except the hundredth of a percent who are just bad people .... maybe next time the OP should read his own message before hitting "Submit Reply.")
Old 04-19-19, 08:37 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Oh goody, we're back on track ! Is it too early for popcorn ?
Old 04-19-19, 08:57 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Maybe people who don't want to be associated with a comment shouldn't make that comment the centerpiece of the third post of the thread? And in fact ... the Justification for the entire thread?

Not taking sides here---I think the whole discussion is ridiculous ... but the only reason anyone suggested "advocating" for a downed cyclist was because that person had a bad experience with a cop once. It is the Justification for the thread. The whole premise of the thread is that a cyclist needs an advocate because the cops are against cyclists.

If the OP didn't want people to get that impression maybe the OP shouldn't have made a post saying that was the situation.

Oh, I'm sorry ... did that make too much sense?

(By the way ... I have personally experienced a cop lying on the witness stand about me. I know two others with similar experiences. And I am a big fan of cops in general. But I would never start a thread saying "Cops are liars" without explaining that I support all cops except the hundredth of a percent who are just bad people .... maybe next time the OP should read his own message before hitting "Submit Reply.")
It is a thread, you know, more information comes up as the conversation evolves. And there are been some good/thoughtful posts in this thread that reinforce the way I reacted to the situation (stayed out of it). The thread does include the idea that police officers are failable - not evil or hateful - but with the help of a couple BFers, that's where this thread has gone and wasted a stupid amount of time.

Those that read one comment about one situation and assume a universe of attitudes from the poster, well they are kinda simple minded and lazy. Example, I am a financial supporter of local police:
By donating and volunteer with Our Streets, Minnetonka Mountain Bike Advocates, Bike Cops for Kids, Free Bikes for Kids, and many other local bike organizations ...
Moreover, I'm friends with some of the officers in my town. Frankly, if I'd walked over to the crash scene, I'd been greeted by name by at least one officer on the scene.

Another post by the Toad that helps show how a thread is an evolving dialog, not a hammered in stone statement:
Thank you, very good link! This reinforces what I have done when I am the first one on the scene; and this quote is basically why I didn't get involved, I did not witness the wreck and could not add anything to the investigation. Knowing the PD in my town is bike-friendly, I expected them to look out for the injured riders needs.
Those that take objection to me highlighting something that you yourself acknowledge - Police are not 100% heros - are clearing looking at this an excuse to get offended. I never made a blanket statement about all police, that's been done for me by the BFers in this thread that misrepresent me and my thoughts. A blanket statement I will post: in the suburbs, officers are typically car-focused people (at work and off work), they are like your neighbors that never use their rusty/dusty bike ... they don't understand some things that are unique to people that ride bikes. Does that make sense? In hindsight, it'd been better to say that then share the story about a cop being a dick that one time.

Of course, if I'd start the thread with my full life history and every experience I've had with police ... you'd all be like TLTR. [/shrug]

In summation, it is generally a pointless thread, I was clearing my head. Since I work a home-office with two dogs, I look to BF as a place to have that 'water cooler' talk (ie pointless conversations). Good talk, good talk.

(you're welcome, Brocephus )
Old 04-19-19, 11:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
This might be a good opportunity to discuss the right thing to do when you come upon a wrecked thread.
Old 04-19-19, 11:58 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Unsubscribed.

6GjMLjB_d by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr
Old 04-19-19, 07:44 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
It is a thread, you know, more information comes up as the conversation evolves. And there are been some good/thoughtful posts in this thread that reinforce the way I reacted to the situation (stayed out of it). The thread does include the idea that police officers are failable - not evil or hateful - but with the help of a couple BFers, that's where this thread has gone and wasted a stupid amount of time.

Those that read one comment about one situation and assume a universe of attitudes from the poster, well they are kinda simple minded and lazy. Example, I am a financial supporter of local police:

Moreover, I'm friends with some of the officers in my town. Frankly, if I'd walked over to the crash scene, I'd been greeted by name by at least one officer on the scene.

Another post by the Toad that helps show how a thread is an evolving dialog, not a hammered in stone statement:

Those that take objection to me highlighting something that you yourself acknowledge - Police are not 100% heros - are clearing looking at this an excuse to get offended. I never made a blanket statement about all police, that's been done for me by the BFers in this thread that misrepresent me and my thoughts. A blanket statement I will post: in the suburbs, officers are typically car-focused people (at work and off work), they are like your neighbors that never use their rusty/dusty bike ... they don't understand some things that are unique to people that ride bikes. Does that make sense? In hindsight, it'd been better to say that then share the story about a cop being a dick that one time.

Of course, if I'd start the thread with my full life history and every experience I've had with police ... you'd all be like TLTR. [/shrug]

In summation, it is generally a pointless thread, I was clearing my head. Since I work a home-office with two dogs, I look to BF as a place to have that 'water cooler' talk (ie pointless conversations). Good talk, good talk.

(you're welcome, Brocephus )
Pointless. Just like your OP with it’s personal bias towards police and your silly backpedaling about it just being ‘water cooler’ talk.
Pretty sad that once you get called out you can’t even own up to your own words/opinion
Old 04-19-19, 07:57 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Pointless. Just like your OP with it’s personal bias towards police and your silly backpedaling about it just being ‘water cooler’ talk.
Pretty sad that once you get called out you can’t even own up to your own words/opinion
😂 LMAO!!! That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Thanks for making my night!
Old 04-22-19, 11:48 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
So, I'm not a cartoonist. But if I were, I'd sketch out the following single panel:

- 1st cyclist on ground, birds circling head
- bike on ground, obviously crashed
- Police standing by, notepad at ready
- 2nd cyclist straddling own bike, indicating, "fork's bent" to the 1st cyclist

I thought that might be funny in a BikeForums kind of way. I dunno...
Old 04-22-19, 12:10 PM
SkyWave

Bikes: 1970 Gitane Tandem, OPUS CX Ultegra Di2 '14, MARINONI Retro SL Campagnolo '17, MARINONI Tourismo '00 Shimano 105, KHS Tandemania Cross Shimano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Recent Crashee

Went down hard on rail trail. Tried to stand, but painful left leg and arm. A few small parts came off, bar end plug, light. Several walkers spent close to an hour with me after I called 911, as EMS drove along a parallel road looking for me! Needed partial hip replacement, second degree shoulder separation. Recovery going great after 4 weeks.

As others have stated, assist if there first, otherwise stay back and offer to take bike. Fortunately for me EMT ( a cyclist) took my $$$ CX bicycle in cab and I called a friend to collect it at emergency.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.