Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Closing in on the big 50

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Closing in on the big 50

Old 05-14-19, 09:45 AM
L Berni Duck

Bikes: 1983 Nishiki Continental

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some people are too old to ride at 35, others will keep enjoying it even into their eighties.

I commuted occasionally in my thirties, but the opportunity to do so again didn't return until I was over fifty. I'll be 63 this year and I'm still enjoying it. I've averaged about 4,000 km/yr, but in the past 12 months I've ridden 5,200. I track my rides on Strava and average about 25-28 km/hr. The speed has been consistent for the 4 years I've been using Strava. I ride only on the road, mostly for the commute, but usually adding extra distance on my way to and from work.

My diet is pretty good, but not fanatically healthy. I don't smoke but I probably drink too much. Genetics was kind to me so I don't worry about my weight.

On the medical side, we all have our issues. I missed 10 weeks riding in early 2018 to have a colonectomy, but my surgeon credited my good health with a speedy recovery. I have worsening cervical disc issues that have required some handlebar adjustments but I refuse to give up my drop bars yet.

Having fun is the key. Cycling will be a positive influence no matter how old you are or how far or fast you ride. If you're not having fun, and you're doing it because you feel you must to stay fit, it's likely not going to help.
Likes For L Berni Duck:
Old 05-15-19, 01:12 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
My riding habits have changed in the last ~5 years so I'm not sure some things are due to age. I used to ride with a group that did challenging rides but was not race-oriented so I put in a lot of miles each week. We were all about the same age (~40), but people got older and interests changed so I haven't seen many of them in ages.

Anyway, I still go out solo for 2-3 hours a few times per week but mostly commute and my legs are definitely not as bulky as they used to be. I haven't tackled the most challenging climbs in the area in awhile but can still complete any ride I set my mind to.
Old 05-15-19, 04:57 PM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I turn 50 in 2 months so I’m taking notes here. I’m looking forward to it. I’m doing better than my dad; he had a fatal heart attack at 36. I’m hoping death is fickle but I don’t smoke or drink the hard stuff. I should probably get more sleep and tolerate less of other people’s BS. Life’s too short for some of us.
Old 05-16-19, 03:10 PM
Kotts
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
A bit ahead of you...

I'm turning 60 in a few weeks. Last year my wife and I did a few Century rides on no cycling-specific training, just our base fitness maintained at the gym. We weren't fast, but we weren't the slowest, either. Generally, as you age, you won't be as fast unless you really work at it, however endurance improves if you stay on top of general fitness.
Old 05-26-19, 11:32 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I remember 50 ... good times!

I turned 70 today, still do 100 miles a week. Its traditional to do your age in miles on your birthday, but rain was coming, so I only got 30 miles in. I decided to do my my age in speed. Found a nice downhill and got the bike up to 70 Kph. Close enough.

Keep on riding. Lots of good times after 50 or 60, and I hope ... 70.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 05-26-19 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-27-19, 05:29 AM
mac_flyer9

Bikes: 2002 Airborne Manhattan Project / 2019 Trek Domane SLR

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
53 here and TBH, the best shape of my life since my 20's. Early last year, weight and resultant BP was getting way too high. Decided to own it and changed lifestyles. For me, counting calories and biking, along with mornings at the gym have improved well being and I lost 40lbs. Biking has kept the knees and ankles relatively functional with no running (short legs). Ive found that some weight lifting has improved my cycling stamina too. In the end, eat right, rest right, stay moving and your body will work. Cheers
Old 05-27-19, 05:49 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I am "closing in" on 73. Next month actually. I was an athlete in my youth. College football and baseball player. I do not have the cyclist body and I am so done with the concept of being in training. Oh, also crashed and broke my neck 6 years ago. Having said all that.....I have been getting better and faster on the bike. I try to eat less, eat more whole foods and stay active. I also violate the aforementioned by sipping about 4 oz of bourbon each night. I think if you manage your expectations to the extent that you can enjoy yourself on and off the bike, all will be well. I'd suggest reading a book called "Younger Next Year" and go have a good time. Every birthday I tell myself the same thing..."Be the best (73) year old you can be."
Likes For bruce19: