Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Domane SL5 vs SL6

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek Domane SL5 vs SL6

Old 05-12-19, 07:26 PM
fayzane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Trek Domane SL5 vs SL6

Hi! I'm fairly new to cycling (about 3 years recreational/commuting), I generally commute to work several times a week on a Trek FX 7.4 hybrid which is perfect for the hills and bumpy roads in Eastern WA.
I'm interested in progressing to some longer distance (50 to 100 mile) fun/road races in the area so have begun saving up for a more proper road bike with the goal of buying this winter.

I am interested in the Trek Domane disc due to it's less aggressive geometry over an Emonda since I'm an 'entry level' road cyclist and the compensatory IsoSpeed decoupler features on the bike that will hopefully make the ride more comfortable. The research I've done indicates at my riding level I may not necessarily notice much difference between the Shimano Ultegra in the SL6 over the Shimano 105 that comes with the SL5. My hybrid has Acera shifters and a Deore derailler that I'm happy with commuting on. The SL6 has nicer Paradigm wheels and Bontrager R2 tires. The SL5 has Affinity wheels and Bontrager R1 tires.

What I'd like to know is whether it's really worth the $1000 jump (will I notice much difference) from the SL5 to SL6 model?
Old 05-12-19, 09:01 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I'd rather get the SL5 and put the $1k towards some even better wheels - I'd see if the shop would be willing to discount a set of Bontrager Aeolus Pro 5s purchased at the same time. If not, I'd look at some HED or Reynolds. In any event, you'll end up with better wheels and you'll have the stock wheels as spares (put some 35mm tires on it for gravel or winter riding).
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-13-19, 04:40 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I had the same decision to make in 2017 and went with the SL6 (disc version.) The major reason was the 2017 SL6 disc came with the Vision 40 carbon wheels, which were basically a $1K upgrade over the Bontrager wheels on the SL5. I don't think Trek is using those Vision wheels any more - I love them.

The other major difference was Ultegra components vs. 105, which personally I don't think I can tell the difference. I guess it saved a few grams and maybe will be more reliable over time, but I've never been able to tell groupset X from groupset X+1 in my type of riding.

The other difference was the bars - really much nicer from a shock absorption/comfort point of view, but that was not a big ticket item.

So, the major difference this year seems to be the Paradigm wheels vs. the Affinity wheels, which don't seem worth the price difference.

I did not like those slick R1 tires, since I'm not a racer and kind of a baby riding on wet roads, part of the reason for going disc. I put on Bontrager AW3's and they were great.

I'm now in the 3rd season on the Domane (rode mostly a Trek 520 steel touring bike for 20 years before that) and I am loving it. The only problem I've had with it seems to now have been fixed by Trek - there is a plastic cable guide under the bottom bracket that broke within 6 months, and the bike shop replaced under warranty. It broke again about 7 months later, just after the warranty ended - Trek approved the bike shop replacing again under warranty. When that one broke another 6 months later, Trek had replaced that part with a better one and it has lasted fine for 18 months since.

You will have a blast with it!
Old 05-13-19, 09:52 AM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I faced the same decision a few weeks ago when shopping for a bike that would fit a larger tire than my Giant Defy. When I went into the local bike shop I had all intentions of looking only at the SL5 as the upper limit but a week later I ended up walking out with the SL6.

For me there were a few items that swayed me. First of all, I much preferred the handlebars on the SL6. Flattened, much beefier on the horz. sections and better tape than the SL5's smaller, round bars.

And while I'm sure I couldn't tell the difference between the Ultegra & 105 group if blindfolded, the hoods on the brifters between the two groups are quite a bit different which I never realized. For me, the Ultegra are much more ergo with smoother contours compared to the 105 which I found much more blocky and not as comfy. Coming off of an Ultegra bike probably set my expectations for what I wanted and the SL6 was much closer to the Defy than the SL5.

And the wheels are an upgrade but I'm not sure how much. In doing a web search the Affinity wheels don't have the best rep. The tires are better but again I don't know by how much. I did a couple of rides on them then swapped out my set of Cont. GP 4 Season's that were brand new and ironically the reason I started to look at new bikes since they wouldn't fit on the Defy.

Finally, and this strictly a personal choice, I didn't really want a black bike even though I could have lived with it but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Was it worth the additional money for the SL6? I probably could have upgraded the SL5 for less (minus the color) but I wanted to buy the bike and just ride it instead of doing a bunch of upgrades. So far, I'm very happy with it.
Old 05-13-19, 01:06 PM
fayzane

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks everyone! Based on your recommendations I think I'll get the SL 5 and upgrade the wheels unless like August the Ultegra shifters feel that much improved in hand to justify the added cost. I don't mind upgrading components especially with a good 'base' to work with, it's kind of fun shopping, I've really enjoyed selecting the few modifications made to my Trek FX hybrid. I really appreciate your help!
Old 05-13-19, 01:16 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
The Domane, if you plan on racing it, is pretty heavy compared to some of the other race type frames on the market.
Old 05-13-19, 07:14 PM
fayzane

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Colnago, you raise an excellent point I did seriously consider. The Domane may not be the best choice for someone with the goal of being competitive. I'm in my mid 40s with some aches and pains so I decided to sacrifice additional speed for a bit more comfort that may help me achieve longer distance in a more 'participatory' fashion. But ya, you're totally right my prospects of ending up on the podium are reduced by this decision 😂 let me know if you guys have any more pointers for noobs!
Old 05-14-19, 06:01 AM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
SL5 is all you need. Just picked up a 2019 a few months back and I love it for all of the reasons you’re looking into it for. It’s comfortable yet quick.

My opinion, don't spend any extra on new wheels. The stock wheels are just fine. You won’t notice much and new wheels cost way too much. Almost 50% of the bike which just isn’t worth it IMO.
Likes For luevelvet:
Old 05-14-19, 07:35 AM
fayzane

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Lulevet! I have been doing lots of reading but I have lots to learn. Do higher end wheels only make a difference if your a strong cyclist or do they affect handling at slower speeds? I'm not very fast at the moment but I'm working on it. I guess I was hoping when I get stronger it would help since it is a slightly heavier bike. Having the LBS cut me a deal on wheels is an excellent suggestion but I could hold off until I gain more strength and have a set of 'race wheels' and the stock wheels for other situations and the CycleOps?
Old 05-14-19, 08:00 AM
WhyFi

I've always found that moving to lighter wheels/tires makes bikes feel more nimble. That may not mean a whole lot of ticks off the clock over a given distance, so they aren't necessarily a great investment if you're solely looking it from that perspective, but in terms of feel and the fun factor, they can be a significant upgrade, and one that'll only encourage you to ride more.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-14-19, 12:01 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I tend to agree that wheels (and tires) can make a difference, but they're easy enough to upgrade for under $1K.

If there is a local bike club/race team/FB group, it may be worth poking around there for better wheels. I've been able to score barely used mid-level wheels from racers whom have decided to upgrade to something even better.
Old 05-14-19, 12:49 PM
fayzane

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
This is awesome, thanks guys! I never even thought about checking with bike clubs. See this is why I ask lol
Old 05-14-19, 12:56 PM
luevelvet

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fayzane
Thanks Lulevet! I have been doing lots of reading but I have lots to learn. Do higher end wheels only make a difference if your a strong cyclist or do they affect handling at slower speeds? I'm not very fast at the moment but I'm working on it. I guess I was hoping when I get stronger it would help since it is a slightly heavier bike. Having the LBS cut me a deal on wheels is an excellent suggestion but I could hold off until I gain more strength and have a set of 'race wheels' and the stock wheels for other situations and the CycleOps?

First off, this is my opinion and doesn't necessarily mean I'm "right"...

IMO, for folks like us (fairly new to the sport and not looking to become a "pro") the stock wheels that come with the Domane will be perfectly fine. Now that doesn't mean you won't "feel" a difference in a new set of wheels but don't go convincing yourself that a 1k set of wheels will make your ride that much better from what comes with the Domane. Any difference actually made will be negligible and not really worth the investment (to us newbs anyway) IMHO. Out of the box, the 2019 Domane SL5 with hydro disc brakes etc is a fantastic bike and if later on you decide you need to upgrade something because you're curious, or just have the itch to spend some more money on some bling, then by all means, go after some "nicer" wheels but again, as is, you will love the Domane and probably not need to spend that money just yet.
Old 05-14-19, 01:08 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by luevelvet
First off, this is my opinion and doesn't necessarily mean I'm "right"...

IMO, for folks like us (fairly new to the sport and not looking to become a "pro") the stock wheels that come with the Domane will be perfectly fine. Now that doesn't mean you won't "feel" a difference in a new set of wheels but don't go convincing yourself that a 1k set of wheels will make your ride that much better from what comes with the Domane. Any difference actually made will be negligible and not really worth the investment (to us newbs anyway) IMHO. Out of the box, the 2019 Domane SL5 with hydro disc brakes etc is a fantastic bike and if later on you decide you need to upgrade something because you're curious, or just have the itch to spend some more money on some bling, then by all means, go after some "nicer" wheels but again, as is, you will love the Domane and probably not need to spend that money just yet.
So you upgraded the wheels on your Domane and you didn't feel that they were worth the difference? Which wheels did you buy?
Old 05-14-19, 01:12 PM
luevelvet

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
So you upgraded the wheels on your Domane and you didn't feel that they were worth the difference? Which wheels did you buy?
No, I never felt the need to because having tried different wheels on different bikes and I didn't really notice a difference. Again, it's my opinion but I don't think it's a wise investment to spend an extra 1k on new wheels when us newbs can barely notice the difference between them to begin with. I guess to clarify my point, the stock wheels on the Domane should be plenty sufficient for any newb for a while without feeling the need to upgrade them immediately.
Old 05-14-19, 01:50 PM
voyager1

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I just got a 2018 SL5. I had my eye set on the Emonda ALR5 Disc but after test riding an Emonda I knew it wasn’t for me.

The shop had this 2018 SL5 and I LOVE it. I thought I needed disc brakes and I would say I am not the best descender, but I feel comfortable with the 105 brakes

The bike is stable and smooth and well builds confidence when riding. My previous bike was a 1991 Trek 1200, a good bike for when it was made, but this Domane is light years ahead.

You will enjoy your Domane.

One thing though, budget for a saddle. The stock saddle was horrid for me.
Old 05-14-19, 02:05 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by luevelvet
No, I never felt the need to because having tried different wheels on different bikes and I didn't really notice a difference. Again, it's my opinion but I don't think it's a wise investment to spend an extra 1k on new wheels when us newbs can barely notice the difference between them to begin with. I guess to clarify my point, the stock wheels on the Domane should be plenty sufficient for any newb for a while without feeling the need to upgrade them immediately.
Ah, got it. Previous bike, previous wheels of a similar class to what's behind discussed, then? Again, I'm curious to what the upgraded wheels were that you didn't notice a difference. I guess I would be wary, too, if I didn't notice a difference with ~$1k wheels... but I have yet to encounter that as my wheel upgrades have certainly been worthwhile.
Old 05-14-19, 06:37 PM
fayzane

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah when I read the Domane SL 5 reviews like 90% said the bike was great but the saddle sucked LOL! My LBS is fantastic, they'll hook me up. Thank you for explaining about wheels. I too was wondering if a noob would have the expertise and skillset to fully appreciate and make use of higher end wheels. You guys have given some very useful advice! Change the seat, nicer tires = more nimble ride.
Old 05-14-19, 07:36 PM
WhyFi

I too was wondering if a noob would have the expertise and skillset to fully appreciate and make use of higher end wheels.
A common theme on forums is people telling others stuff along the lines of, "anything better than XYZ would be lost on you unless..." and then they go on to outline some arbitrary reasons why so-and-so doesn't deserve or hasn't earned the right to whatever it is that they might want. Like you've got to pay your dues, or something silly. A good set of wheels can and will make a difference, so don't take it to heart when anyone tells you, whether or not it's with good intentions, that you're not good/experienced/skilled/fast enough to justify having them.

That said, if you're planning on the SL5, there's no real rush on better wheels unless you're aiming at a decent discount from the shop (or if your riding season is limited and you don't want to piss away half of it, wondering how much more fun it might be with kick-ass wheels ).
Old 05-14-19, 07:36 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
but the saddle sucked LOL!
First thing I did when I got back from the first test ride was tell the shop mgr. if I do buy an SL5 or SL6 that I'm swapping out the stock saddle for my Fizik that was on the bike I was trading. He kind of chuckled, said no problem and that didn't surprise him at all
Old 05-19-19, 06:11 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I just bought the SL5 six days ago. It's way more bike than I need, but I bought it anyway. I'm basically doing this to get fitter by riding outside instead of stationary bikes at the gym as well as to ride longer charity rides like Gran Fondos and Centuries (metric or imperial).

The Domane seemed like a good mix of speed and comfort. I've ridden three times so far with two of them 35 miles on a packed dirt path. It's very bumpy at speed but the isospeed in the seat really worked. My hands started to hurt after an hour, though it's probably because of bad form in addition to all the small bumps. The last 40 minutes of my ride today I did a much better job lightly holding the handlebars.

The seat was awful after the first two hour ride and then I did my bike fitting and bought new cycling shorts. One or both worked as my bum hurt less and I did less fidgeting in the seat.

For me, it's my first road bike in 30 years and my first bike of any kind in 15, though I've been using the stationary bike at the gym for six years.

I probably could have afforded the SL6, but I also had to include in my purchase other things like pedals, a light, helmet shoes. Eventually I'll get a power meter and a trainer. And I'd rather have all of those than the SL6.
Old 05-20-19, 05:55 AM
luevelvet

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
I just bought the SL5 six days ago. It's way more bike than I need, but I bought it anyway. I'm basically doing this to get fitter by riding outside instead of stationary bikes at the gym as well as to ride longer charity rides like Gran Fondos and Centuries (metric or imperial).

The Domane seemed like a good mix of speed and comfort. I've ridden three times so far with two of them 35 miles on a packed dirt path. It's very bumpy at speed but the isospeed in the seat really worked. My hands started to hurt after an hour, though it's probably because of bad form in addition to all the small bumps. The last 40 minutes of my ride today I did a much better job lightly holding the handlebars.

The seat was awful after the first two hour ride and then I did my bike fitting and bought new cycling shorts. One or both worked as my bum hurt less and I did less fidgeting in the seat.

For me, it's my first road bike in 30 years and my first bike of any kind in 15, though I've been using the stationary bike at the gym for six years.

I probably could have afforded the SL6, but I also had to include in my purchase other things like pedals, a light, helmet shoes. Eventually I'll get a power meter and a trainer. And I'd rather have all of those than the SL6.

I think you made a good choice and while it’s more bike than you think you’ll need, you got one that is perfect for the job at hand. They’re comfortable yet fast enough to not hold you back. Enjoy it, I know I enjoy my Domane immensely!
Old 05-20-19, 01:56 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I have the 2017 Domane S5.... the predecessor to the SL5's. Pretty much the same bike and same specs. Awesome bike for the price, IMO.... for anyone who wants to upgrade from entry level aluminum to a carbon frame and 105 components.
Old 05-21-19, 11:03 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
My wife test rode a used 2018 Trek Domane SL5 on Saturday and bought it. She hasn't ridden it on our normal route yet, as we have a big ride this weekend and neither one of us are changing our routine until it is done. Then she'll get set up to ride it. She was grinning ear to ear on the test ride though. Previous owner was a Trek rep when he bought it.
Old 05-24-19, 05:24 PM
fayzane

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the help guys! I just cornered a brand new 2018 SL 5 disc (dark gray) from my LBS, they had one left in my size at a $400 discount on clearance. I'm so freaking excited lol...it will be fun to see how much faster I can go 15lb lighter (hybrid heavier + full saddlebags) on 105 components.
Likes For fayzane:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.