Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Looking for new folding bike for under $2000.

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Looking for new folding bike for under $2000.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 05:45 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Dahon has a similar system to the Brompton luggage system. You can use this rack system to hold your backpack or any "shopping" you do. You need to buy the truss and the rack and the rack straps. It works extremely well! The Verge are 451 wheels, not 406, just be aware that they are less common and sometimes getting tubes or tires can be an issue. The standard 20" 406 wheels are the same as bmx so they are pretty much everywhere. Alternately, you could take some tubes and folding tires with you in 451 spec. This rack system will work on both the Tern and Dahon - just get the correct truss. Personally I recommend the Dahon Mu D10. Frame is bulletproof as I have discovered with my Mu. And Tern had some frame recall issues that kind of left a serious question in my mind, even though I know many companies have them. There's a huge thread on the Tern recall here if you are interested. Thor sells the Kanga rack system (they can be hard to find) and can set you up with that as well. Finally, if you go with the D10 (which is heavy) you can lighten it up by (1) getting rid of the seatpost/pump combo and installing a Litepro seatpost, (2) replacing the CST tires with lighter Schwalbes, and (3) replacing the Dahon folding pedals with removable MKS pedals. I saved more than a pound just getting rid of that seatpost Biologic pump setup. Carry a tiny hand pump (~40 grams) or CO2. Thor might have other ways to reduce the weight to a more reasonable amount. I get that it is about a thousand bucks cheaper than the LX10, but spend a little more to get some obvious weight savings and reach a happy medium. Thor can make all those modificaitons for you.

Last edited by linberl; 05-16-19 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-16-19, 06:22 PM
marfar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
linberl,

Thank you. We were wondering exactly what you just said, can we ensure ease of finding tubes, find a rack similar to Bromptons, and lighten up the weight from the pump. Spot on! Not sure about the tires and their differences, will research that. Also nice to know that Thor will do all of this for us (and maybe even help us with some other changes). We don't like the blue at all, so fingers crossed we can have the white (but not a deal breaker of course).

Unless someone weighs in with some crazy news to sway us away from the MU D10, we might have found our bikes!
Old 05-16-19, 07:25 PM
linberl

Oh, I also removed the kickstand to save weight. If you desperately need a kickstand, check out the "click stand" Click-Stand Home Page Most of the time you can either lean the bike or fold (it's super quick on the Mu's) and drop the seat to balance. You don't really need the kickstand. I also changed out the saddle; I found it uncomfortable and unnecessarily heavy as well. You may want to just swap your hybrid saddles to the Mu's for the duration of the trip if you really like them.
Likes For linberl:
Old 05-17-19, 12:55 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Dahon has a similar system to the Brompton luggage system. You can use this rack system to hold your backpack or any "shopping" you do. You need to buy the truss and the rack and the rack straps. It works extremely well! Thor sells the Kanga rack system (they can be hard to find) and can set you up with that as well.
The mounting-system ist called "Klick Fix" and is made by a traditional German brand named Rixen and Kaul. They have a huge amount of bags and mounting systems for accessories vor various places on the bike and are generally of good quality and fit very well to folding bikes. Also third party makers produce accessories for the Klick-Fix-system. The Tern Kanga Rack ist originally made by Klick-Fix and sold under the name "vario rack" when not bought via Tern but via Klick-Fix - it is the same thing. Every Klick-Fix dealer should able to get hold of it w/o issues. I own the Kanga-rack and luggage truss, too, got it in about 2013 together with my Bickerton MkX. I am a bit disappointed by it, to say it politely - in my eyes it looks far more useful than it is as the shape makes mounting a backpack a bit if an experience and worse with anything but very light load the luggage truss gets into movement when riding. This is caused by the luggage truss - I have an adaptor from the Klickfix-System to the Brompton carrier block and this way mounted the Kanga rack on the Brompton w/o the truss. No movement, but still not very useful in my option. Heard the same thing from other people about the luggage truss on Terns with one person even having it breaking. Nominally it is limited to something like 7kg, if I remember correctly but issues start far earlier from my experience. The lever is just too long and the design not stable enough. They invented an updated version about a year ago - maybe this is better (but I have my reservations as it looks more or less the same). So from my point of view the Kanga rack would not be a recommendation (at least not w/o trying out) and even less in combination with the luggage truss.

And Tern had some frame recall issues that kind of left a serious question in my mind, even though I know many companies have them. There's a huge thread on the Tern recall here if you are interested.
Worth mentioning it and relevant to consider when buying a used Tern (or a new one) but one should take this thread with a big grain of salt as in my eyes in this thread emotions got way through the roof. I read about the issue with Tern frames in different forums and not a single one was even in the slightest way so full of hate and irrationalism as the thread here at bikeforums. But the OP should judge himself if he is interested.
Old 05-17-19, 04:22 AM
bikexpert

Bikes: BIRDY, CARRYME

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berlinonaut
There is a travel case available for the Birdy but it is huge and clearly above airline dimensions. The Birdy is a pretty expensive bike, buy price is high and the running cost are very steep to if you follow their maintenance schedule and exchange relevant, expensive frame parts every couple of years or every couple of thousands of kms, whatever comes first. If you don't (and sometimes even if you do) you might face breakages on the rear forks, the front forks or the stem. I've mentioned and linked some in the Birdy thread in this forum. Because of this immense follow up cost and this risk I personally lost interest in a Birdy years ago once I recognized the quality issues, the maintenance plan and the customer service of r-m, that leaves a lot to be desired, to say it politely. The ride of the Birdy is somewhat special - either you like it or not. Test ride definitively necessary before thinking about buying one. Choice of tires is very limited - one can live with it but should be aware of it. I would definitively not recommend the Birdy for off road use - it is stressed with ordinary road usage already, obviously sometimes even overstressed. Therefor I would not recommend it for the OP: Bang for the buck ist not convincing in my eyes and neither is the fold (not very small plus dirty hands when folding) - with a 20" Bike Friday one would in my opinion be far better off for the intended purpose.

I have been traveling a lot with the Birdy + travel case from Pacific and have never been rejected by any airline nor luggage upcharge.

Birdy is the bike that I would highly recommend because it rides super nice, and thanks to its full suspension design, the bike is very good for traveling especially when you don't know what terrains you're going to face (of course no mtb downhill...etc).

I've also seen the broken rear fork posts in the forum, but I've never heard about this kind of issues, or at least in Asia. To be honest, I'm pretty lucky because the price is fair in Asia (Taiwan), and Pacific is providing good service.

Although Birdy is the bike that I highly reccomend, but I think it would be over your buget since r-m sells it quite expensive in Europe.

ps. I've traveled with my Birdy to US, Germany, France, China, and many other countires in Asia.
Old 05-17-19, 07:00 AM
washuai

Bikes: 2010 Mezzo I-4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say it still isn't too late to call Bike Friday. The llama might be overkill, but I'll echo the a Bike Friday recs. Thor's great. I can't see you regretting Dahon Mu D10 (or Jetstream or Visc for that matter).

It doesn't sound like Brompton fits your primary day-to-day, so I don't think it or its alternatives are the best. 20" and keeping the weight down, flight requirement, etc. are key.

A bagged Brompton can go in overheads (compare $3 IKEA Dimpa bag), and your backpack under the seat in front of you - ok so 20" folders can't do that. That's some minimalist, speedy, carry on only travel.
This board covers some interesting flying with folder solutions, from just some kind of clear wrap on the bike, to a similar cardboard\bubble wrap, discard and get new for the trip home that you mentioned, to custom case makers (about $250 Made in the USA), dismantling, suitcases and of course things like the Bike Friday suitcase trailer.

As for the established dry hard dirt trails, gravel, grass fields - you can actually ride a road bike on them ( I can my Mezzo 16", if inclined). Bromptons have that little suspension thing, so technically, their ride is less harsh, than my Mezzo. Given California trails and parks, I do get so inclined. You don't need a full suspension mountain bike (mtb) folder, but you'll enjoy more comfort and a better fit. You're traveling, so all your on road, roadside assistance things you will have, should cover the offroad emergency repairs, as well. That said people do some serious touring on Bromptons (and similar).

Even with multiple folds in a day, that's such a small amount of time in relation to enjoying your bike. You're looking at proven bikes, reviews and not experiments and cheap crap.You'll be on vacation time, like island time. You're not on crazy second obsessed commuter time.

Sometimes I wish I could throw money at stuff that's available for Brompton, Tern, Dahon or Bike Friday goodies (which includes some full size goodies for Bike Friday) that isn't for my Mezzo (I'm in the US), so sticking with accessible dealers and us aftermarket support is wise. Mexico City, Thailand & London aren't that easy.

Thanks others for the Tern and Birdy info. I rather like both (never owned, though). I really wanted a Birdy though (but hard to get to \ find US dealer, manufacturer disinterest, not up to tour duty?, nor adventure cycling, well way too many strikes). And a birdy lover posted, if you love it, you'll find a way. I'll still Moulton appreciate and ponder what is the best MTB folder.

Berlinaut, what's that trailer?

Last edited by washuai; 05-17-19 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-17-19, 07:24 AM
washuai

Bikes: 2010 Mezzo I-4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikexpert
I have been traveling a lot with the Birdy + travel case from Pacific and have never been rejected by any airline nor luggage upcharge. . . . Although Birdy is the bike that I highly reccomend, but I think it would be over your buget since r-m sells it quite expensive in Europe.
They're in the US, Birdy's run $1360 - 4450, depending on whether they want classic or the latest Rohloff Disc 14. $1880 for a New Birdy Standard 9. OP said east coast, and I'm quoting Urban Bike Fitters California prices, so it might be a little cheaper for them, if they're near a dealer (or it's cheaper for me, because I'm on the West Coast, which is closer to Pacific?).

Also, when I was shopping, I could have gotten a classic for under 1000, because Warm Planet Bikes in SF would have been happy to unload their last one. There are deals potentially, if a shop that is no longer interested in stocking birdy has one hanging around. I think the larger problem is they might not be able to test ride.

Last edited by washuai; 05-17-19 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-17-19, 09:41 AM
linberl

I've used the Kanga rack with my BF and a number of BF riders have toured with them. If the OP goes with the Dahon D10, and wants a front carrier this is the best option. They can also use any of the various klick fix bags if they prefer. I've found the Kanga perfectly fine and stable as long as I don't exceed 20 lbs. The other option, which I have also used, is the Xootr Crossrack. This doesn't attach in the front (well, it can but it sucks there) but attached behind the rider on the seatpost. Thus, the bag does not create any extra drag which I like. It also packs down very well, and the rack portion separates from the tiny seat post "stub". It holds any single standard pannier and can be "jerry rigged" to hold a backpack. It is 100% metal but very light weight. I brought up the Kanga because the OP liked the front mounting Brompton luggage carrier; I personally find them to create giant wind sails in bad headwinds so I like the bag behind my body. https://www.xootr.com/crossrack-seatpost-bike-rack.html

I mentioned the Tern thread because I felt it would be wrong not to let the OP know, but I tried to be even handed by mentioning that most bike manufacturers have had recalls of some sort or other. Personally, I think how a bike dealer handles frame issues matters as much as whether they incur them. OP can draw his/her own conclusions.
Old 05-17-19, 10:43 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
The Rixen+Kaul Vario fitted to their Caddy handlebar&post mount worked fine on my tour. That's a backpack/dry bag I already owned strapped down with the harness that comes with the Vario, but, and it's a big but, Rixen+Kaul offer backpacks that attach directly to their KlickFix mounts so with one of those the rack would not be necessary.

Rather than any of the 'official' luggage systems, we have a quick release mount (Carradice Bagman) and a traditional saddlebag (Carradice Nelson Longflap w/ shoulder strap for off-bike carry) on my wife's Mu P8.

Of course, any of the modern rackless bikepacking tour bags work fine on nearly all folding bikes, but by their very nature don't detach/attach easily for many-times-a-day folding.

Last edited by tcs; 05-17-19 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-17-19, 11:41 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by tcs
The Rixen+Kaul Vario fitted to their Caddy handlebar&post mount worked fine on my tour. That's a backpack/dry bag I already owned strapped down with the harness that comes with the Vario, but, and it's a big but, Rixen+Kaul offer backpacks that attach directly to their KlickFix mounts so with one of those the rack would not be necessary.

Rather than any of the 'official' luggage systems, we have a quick release mount (Carradice Bagman) and a traditional saddlebag (Carradice Nelson Longflap w/ shoulder strap for off-bike carry) on my wife's Mu P8.

Of course, any of the modern rackless bikepacking tour bags work fine on nearly all folding bikes, but by their very nature don't detach/attach easily for many-times-a-day folding.
I'm curious...that set up means the bag turns with the handlebars, right? Why did you choose not to use the brompton-style luggage mount on your Curl? Did you find the weight shift when turning acceptable? I put a bag on the front of my pakiT like that, but I wasn't crazy about the effect on handling since the bag turned with the bike. Maybe I was doing something wrong... Btw, in black your bike looks really nice, I don't mind the angular hump nearly as much.
Old 05-17-19, 12:16 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
I'm curious...that set up means the bag turns with the handlebars, right?
Like ~98% of the touring bikes in the world, and the touring bikes I've been riding since 1973.

I don't mind the angular hump nearly as much.
Turbine blade profile superimposed on Dahon Curl's 'ugly, angular' frame:

Last edited by tcs; 05-17-19 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-17-19, 01:58 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by tcs
Like ~98% of the touring bikes in the world, and the touring bikes I've been riding since 1973.

Turbine blade profile superimposed on Dahon Curl's 'ugly, angular' frame:

Actually I was complementing the look of the bike. The prototype pictures I saw made the hump much less attractive. It's a matter of personal preference, in black it doesn't seem to disrupt my "eye" as much as the early pictures I saw. I kinda like it. Had it been available when I was looking for a 16" I think I would have considered it - it appears to be more adjustable in fit than the Brompton, in terms of reach. Most of the touring bags I'm used to attached to the actual handlebars and were pretty limited in weight. The rest was carried on front pannier racks. So I'm just wondering whether, with smaller wheels, did you notice it very much? Like I said, I tried it and found it made my very light bike less stable on turns but that was a bag which actually weighed more than my bike, lol (20lbs on a 19 lb bike). I'm guessing you didn't find any difference in handling since you didn't say. Anyway, I think your Curl looks pretty awesome! But I don't like the red nearly as much as the black.
Old 05-17-19, 04:30 PM
marfar

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
linberl,
We will def check out the rack for the back. Seems a better choice. Ty!
Old 05-17-19, 04:31 PM
berlinonaut

Why did you choose not to use the brompton-style luggage mount on your Curl?
Does the Curl have such a mount? Judging from the product-page it does not look like that.
Old 05-17-19, 04:39 PM
berlinonaut

Originally Posted by washuai
Berlinaut, what's that trailer?
A city trailer by carry freedom. Seems they have stopped making it not too long ago. Brilliant thing to ride with, even at high speeds. Folds flat, in general good quality, but some flaws (bag not rainproof and no raincover available, folding process a bit cumbersome, quality issues with the bag). My most used trailer, mainly for travelling. And due to it's shape it is possible to load additional stuff on top of it. Would buy it again.
Likes For berlinonaut:
Old 05-17-19, 05:02 PM
m56ewt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is the Dahon Mu D10 tour the same as the the Dahon Mu D10 except the ugly color, the fenders, the rear rack and the pump? Were there modifications on the tour?
Old 05-17-19, 05:11 PM
linberl

A quick check indicates the Tour adds the rear rack and fenders (i.e. touring gear). If you go with the Crossrack, you can remove the rear luggage rack. If you want to get nitpicky about weight you can remove the fenders if you're not going in rainy season. Both models seem to come with a Tiagra drivetrain (good). Get the Mu LX and you can have the lovely brushed silver, lol. Only a thousand bucks more ;-) But you also drop a boatload of weight.
Old 05-17-19, 05:20 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by berlinonaut
Does the Curl have such a mount? Judging from the product-page it does not look like that.
Wow, it never even occurred to me that Dahon would NOT put their luggage truss on the Curl. What a huge marketing mistake. You could probably get a brompton mount brazed on
pretty easily. I've a friend who had one brazed onto a Dahon mini velo.
Old 05-17-19, 05:45 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
I would think this would mess up the heat treatment of the aluminum frame.
Old 05-17-19, 07:49 PM
linberl

I know absolutely nothing about metals or welding, but I have to say it looked good and worked great. He's had the bike like that almost 2 years now. Are all Dahons aluminum? Maybe his is steel, I don't really know. It's one of those folding mini velo style Dahons with the top tube and bottom tube and the lockjaw clamps.
Old 05-17-19, 09:24 PM
m56ewt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the comments, I cannot find any of the white or the brushed Dahon Mu D10’s online or in any of the bike shops locally. I did find the Mu D10 Tour on overstock for $675 with free shipping almost to good to pass up!

Last edited by m56ewt; 05-17-19 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-17-19, 09:24 PM
hagenandeggs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
beeeeyoooutiful
Old 05-17-19, 09:41 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Just to add.

You can buy a convertor to allow mounting a brompton carrier block to the front of a Dahon.

I bought my sister a used speed uno, and was very impressed with the overall implement (especially the hinges).

I haven't used that many systems, but really like the brompton front luggage system.
Old 05-18-19, 12:18 AM
berlinonaut

Originally Posted by m56ewt
Is the Dahon Mu D10 tour the same as the the Dahon Mu D10 except the ugly color, the fenders, the rear rack and the pump? Were there modifications on the tour?
It is one of the problems with Dahon that their lineup of models is pretty confusing. It differs from year to year and from country to country and a bike with the same model name in another country can be different as can bikes with close to similar sounding but slightly different model names. Plus their webpage does not necessarily reflect the complete lineup, the correct technical data or the correct colors. No idea why this is the case but it has been like that for ages. So your best bet is a competent dealer. This complex lineup also leads to unlucky situations regarding spare parts sometimes. The latter again differs from country to country. In Germany it is nightmarish, judging from what I hear from Dahon owners and dealers here, in the US it seems to be way better, judging from what people say here in the forums. For me one of the negative points about Dahon - others judge differently. One can however get pretty much anything regarding parts from Asia via Aliexpress or such - just nobody knows if these are original or counterfeit parts, what quality they have, if they really fit etc.. At least those parts are cheap but if the local dealer cannot help one has to spent considerable time to find the parts, to wait for the delivery from China and to become an expert in Dahon parts, model-range and exchangability in between the bikes in beforehand.
Old 05-18-19, 08:09 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
As far as I know there is nothing that will fold small, cost less than 2k and do well on mud and gravel type situations. As far as the Brompton handle bars being wrong they can be replaced with a lot of other bars to get the height to where you would like it. Ergon grips with or without bar ends are a popular option which cam work well to increase comfort and hand positions. Using a front mounted luggage option improves handling and can carry a lot of weight. The blog "The road less travelled" has tips on how to use backpacks and tour on them. They have definite quirks, for sure, but their long wheel base and primitive but effective rear suspension give them a more comfortable ride than those little wheels would suggest. A lot of mud, gravel and or ice/snow are not their forte. I have many bikes, but my Brompton is frequently my choice since I find it fun to ride and surprisingly excellent at carrying clothes or groceries without negatively affecting handling. They also seem to hold their value better thn most bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.