Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Packable Pants for Camp/Sleeping in the Cold?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-14-19, 08:16 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

Pretend summer isn't coming. I'm hoping to get some end of season bargains...

Maybe someone can recommend pants for camp and under the quilt in cold-ish conditions – say down into the 30’s in the pre-dawn hours. Pants will be packed and carried while on the bike during the day so they need to be packable.

I’m not interested in tights and want something with a bit more relaxed fit after riding in bibs and warmers all day. I'm also not interested in garbage bags, DIY or changing the way I ride. Just looking for packable, warm pants I can buy, that's all.

I have micro-fleece pants from Taiga but they are bulky and don't pack down well.

Patagonia R1 pants are made from Polartec Powergrid and should be plenty warm for under the quilt. Anyone know how packable these are?

What else is out there?

-Tim-
Old 05-14-19, 10:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Patagonia I got the puffball pullover many years ago.. I accepted the bulk of a warmer sleeping bag

so I used their silk weight base layers as PJ's..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-14-19 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-14-19, 10:53 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Tim,

I use the Sporthill XC for skiing climbing, and cycling. The are warm , durable, and dry quickly. They also block winds to to 35 mph. They are expensive, but I have one pair, which have seen a lot of use, that are at least 15 years old, and I still wear them. About 85% of the men and women in my ski patrol wear them. I also have a pair of what used to be their "Zone 2" pants that I use for cycling, and at the gym during cool/cold weather. Both pants pack reasonably well. Rolled up a size medium is about the size of a 22 oz. water bottle. Take a look at their catalog.

Sporthill

Last edited by Doug64; 05-14-19 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-14-19, 11:05 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
I'm a big fan of wool thermal layers. I know you said no tights, but perhaps something made of soft, stretchy, warm, natural fiber doesn't set off your 'tights' detector. I have one particular midweight Icebreaker knicker-length wool set meant for skiing (mid calf length, so as not to bunch up under ski boots) that make a terrific warm riding layer, and comfortable camp layer. Just a thought
Likes For fourfa:
Old 05-14-19, 11:09 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Just stop shaving the leg hair.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 05-15-19, 01:38 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Yep, woolen thermals and a pair of casual shorts to cover your junk.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 05-15-19, 07:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
I simply wear poly-pro Long Johns by Duofold. Roll up small. Not tight. If I need "modesty" I will put by convertible pant (in shorts mode) over them.
Old 05-15-19, 07:37 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Any nylon trekking pants will do. I usually find them at my local thrift store, but I live in an outdoorsy area. They work on the bike, as well for extra sun or cold protection. Easy to wash and wear, too.
Old 05-15-19, 08:00 AM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
I would look into Polartec Powerstrech tights or pants. Very light and stretchy material, packs tight, very warm, but also has very good temperature range.
Old 05-15-19, 08:04 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Any nylon trekking pants will do. I usually find them at my local thrift store, but I live in an outdoorsy area. They work on the bike, as well for extra sun or cold protection. Easy to wash and wear, too.
+ 1 on a pair of nylon trekking pants. Then you get a pair of lycra tights to wear underneath them when it's cold and you're set. Layering is the way to go.
Old 05-15-19, 08:10 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
+ 1 on a pair of nylon trekking pants. Then you get a pair of lycra tights to wear underneath them when it's cold and you're set. Layering is the way to go.
...and that fits in with my theory that you should be able to wear all your packed clothing at the same time, as part of a coordinated layering system.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 05-15-19, 08:19 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
my favorite are patagonia houdini pants

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Pretend summer isn't coming. I'm hoping to get some end of season bargains...

Maybe someone can recommend pants for camp and under the quilt in cold-ish conditions – say down into the 30’s in the pre-dawn hours. Pants will be packed and carried while on the bike during the day so they need to be packable.

I’m not interested in tights and want something with a bit more relaxed fit after riding in bibs and warmers all day. I'm also not interested in garbage bags, DIY or changing the way I ride. Just looking for packable, warm pants I can buy, that's all.

I have micro-fleece pants from Taiga but they are bulky and don't pack down well.

Patagonia R1 pants are made from Polartec Powergrid and should be plenty warm for under the quilt. Anyone know how packable these are?

What else is out there?

-Tim-
Old 05-15-19, 08:35 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
I really, really like the Mountain Equipment Ibex pants (IBEX). They turn a drizzle, dry quickly, fit me well, ankles are sewn for shock cord insertion. I wear them for fat biking and commuting between about 10 degrees and into the mid 30s. I'm warm blooded, so those temps might increase for others. Between mid 30s and low 50s (when I switch to shorts), I wear Haglofs Mid Fjell pants (Haglofs). The Haglofs are lighter, hence more packable, but very comfortable with a gusseted crotch for riding. I will be taking the Haglofs on my Twin Cities to St Louis to Santa Fe to Yellowstone to Twin Cities tour this summer.
Old 05-15-19, 08:53 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Tim,

I use the Sporthill XC for skiing climbing, and cycling. The are warm , durable, and dry quickly. They also block winds to to 35 mph. They are expensive, but I have one pair, which have seen a lot of use, that are at least 15 years old, and I still wear them. About 85% of the men and women in my ski patrol wear them. I also have a pair of what used to be their "Zone 2" pants that I use for cycling, and at the gym during cool/cold weather. Both pants pack reasonably well. Rolled up a size medium is about the size of a 22 oz. water bottle. Take a look at their catalog.

Sporthill
Doug's suggestion is pretty well what I use, only mine are MEC Adanac pants https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5033-250/Adanac-Tights

They say tights but are really a loose shell which is wind proof and fairly rain resistant. I use them as part of a whole layer system as others note. For summer trips now I take:

Merino wool socks x2
Padded underwear x2
Nylon shorts x1
knee warmers x1
micro fleece tights for cold or sleeping x1
Adanac shell x1

A similar list for the top:

Jersey
Arm warmers
Mid weight merino long sleeve sweater
Shell jacket
Compressible down jacket
Nylon rain poncho

In camp each night I wash the shorts jersey and underwear which dry by next morning. I use 2 underwear in case the pad doesn't completely dry and for hygiene. This all packs down pretty small and light and covers me from hot hot to sudden mountain storm weather.
Old 05-15-19, 09:48 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Tim,
Like Doug, I have had a pair of the same Sporthill pants for eons, and agree with all what Doug says of how well they work. I wear mine for cold weather riding with tights underneath them.
I also have thickish fleece type pants, which I actually find warmer and use under shell pants for skiing, but here we get into the diff factors of fleece pants being bulky, but are light...and then also the factors of how one person needs warmer clothes than another at the same temps.
I'm clearly in the "skinny guy" camp, and prefer warmer stuff than other "higher R factor" folks, so for me, if I was to be out a lot in the near freezing temps in morning and at night, I might go the bulky route.
Ive been on bike trips where it was around maybe 5c or a bit less at coldest, and was cold with just tights and my light campstyle pants on when sitting around, but then if it warms up quickly in the morning, maybe warmer tights under stuff, along with thick socks, a toque and gloves , and good upper body layers, will be enough for you.

in the end, its really your call.
I personally hate being cold, but its always a tradeoff isnt it, size and bulk, especially if you are talking your bikepacking setup where rolled up fleece pants would take up a heck of a lot of space.

then there is always the option of going more compact, but using your sleeping bag to have over your legs or tucked into during meals or whatever.

still pretty personal though isnt it?
Old 05-15-19, 09:57 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I have a pair of Columbia Titanium pants, made of nylon I think, that are pretty waterproof, very windproof, and very warm. If that's not enough, I have some fleece long pants, forget the name, but similar to Polartec. They pack up smaller than most fleece, more like older cotton long johns.
EDIT: OK, I dug them out, and they're called Freeze-Out. 😎

Last edited by stardognine; 05-15-19 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-15-19, 10:02 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
I just use convertible nylon travel pants/shorts around camp. Add a layer of long underwear when it is cold. I use a sleeping bag liner in my sleeping bag, I usually take the pants off before I climb into the sleeping bag.
Old 05-15-19, 10:51 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I'm going to disagree, at least for me personally, I don't find nylon trekking pants to be all that warm on their own. They're not the most packable thing, but I still have a pair of jeans with me.

If you're camping down into the 30s, I imagine you probably are going to want a pair of long underwear anyhow, I did those with jeans in Iceland and stayed nice and comfortable in the low 30s.
Old 05-15-19, 11:30 AM
Happy Feet

I am projecting a bit and assuming that in Tim's case he is thinking small volume as he has Apidura bikepacking kit (seat, frame and handlebar bags). That limits the choices somewhat.
Old 05-15-19, 11:53 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I'm going to disagree, at least for me personally, I don't find nylon trekking pants to be all that warm on their own. They're not the most packable thing, but I still have a pair of jeans with me.

If you're camping down into the 30s, I imagine you probably are going to want a pair of long underwear anyhow, I did those with jeans in Iceland and stayed nice and comfortable in the low 30s.
If jeans work for you, great. But I find they take too long to dry, take more space in the pack and weigh more than I want. Years ago before I could afford better equipment I wore jeans backpacking and canoeing.

When it gets cold, I put on the long underwear. On my Iceland trip there were at least two times when it was not raining but I put on my rain pants over the pants and long underwear to cut the cold wind.
Old 05-15-19, 12:07 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If jeans work for you, great. But I find they take too long to dry, take more space in the pack and weigh more than I want. Years ago before I could afford better equipment I wore jeans backpacking and canoeing.
All true statement. Mostly pointing out that even though I am fairly cold tolerant, nylon pants never really worked well by themselves around freezing for me. I'm sure there are better choices than jeans any nylon pants, though, especially if one doesn't carry jeans anyhow (I do).
Old 05-15-19, 01:32 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
To be clear, it might get to the low 30's for a few hours overnight. All I need is something to wear under a 22° quilt and maybe for a few hours while banging around camp. I'm in North Georgia and not camping in the dead of winter.

Lots of good suggestions here. Thank you all.

Long johns with thin running shorts might work.

Patagonia Houdini are very light and should be packable.

The Sporthill or MEC version are very interesting.

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I am projecting a bit and assuming that in Tim's case he is thinking small volume as he has Apidura bikepacking kit (seat, frame and handlebar bags). That limits the choices somewhat.
Yes, all true. Thank you. Packability is key.

What brand/model micro-fleece are you wearing?

Originally Posted by djb
still pretty personal though isnt it?
Yes, and I appreciate all the suggestions, especially from those with so much experience. There's lots to learn and I'm just starting out.

-Tim-
Old 05-15-19, 01:44 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by TimothyH

Yes, all true. Thank you. Packability is key.

What brand/model micro-fleece are you wearing?...
IDK. Just some generic ones. For years I had a pair of non padded wool/lycra cycling tights that were my cold weather go to kit for everything: xc sking, climbing, biking etc... Just the right amount of flex and breathability and with a shell covering quite warm.
Micro fleece is similar and lighter but less durable.

I sure miss those old tights.
Old 05-15-19, 04:27 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Tim, the Sporthill pants are truly amazing for windblocking. Mine have been used so much for fall, winter and spring riding that there are now wear spots the shape of my seat on the bum area.
They are a bit heavyish, well, compared to fleece only or tights, so I have never actually taken them on a bike trip, as it would have been overkill.
My tights are sort of medium thickness, with a bit of fuzzness that make them cozy, and I wear them even up to the mid teens celcius, as my leg muscles really prefer being warmer than colder.
There are so many diff tights though, its areally hard to properly describe one pair compared to another.

and again, I have friends who have no qualms with bare legs and cold, where I would be sufffffffering big time.

from what you describe, it sounds like some sort of tights will work, and you can put them on under long pants if you have them, or just the tights and shorts as you say, and bring out the quilt if need be if sitting outside.
Certainly will work better with something compact for your baggage space you have.
Old 05-15-19, 04:37 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk

Until you hit a crappy Japanese clothes dryer that takes 15 hours to dry even a pair of cotton underwear. Trekking pants come in wide range of fabrics, from super light to super heavy. I have a pair of Stoic Overhang pants, stretchy and warm and hard wearing. I also have a pair that are about the weight of paper towel. I usually take the paper towel ones and woolen thermals. Absolutely kills jeans for comfort, warmth, packability and drying speed. Also useful because you can easily ride in them under your rain shell if needed, like crossing a steep sleety pass where if the sleet didn't wet you out the sweat would.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.