Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Drilling extraction hole in shifter to remove broken cable head stuck inside

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Drilling extraction hole in shifter to remove broken cable head stuck inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-09, 07:12 AM
swifty
commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Pics please!
Old 06-05-09, 12:10 PM
dtbaker61

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ok. Today Shimano USA called me in response to a letter I wrote requesting 'good will replacements'. They basically said since i was not the original owner I was SOL. The guy was pleasant, and we chatted a bit; he explained that STI shifters are assembly by machines, not intended to ever be taken apart. I told him that all this greif could be avoided if they design in 'extraction holes' for this repair... we'll see if they do or not.

In the meantime, all seems to be well with my repair. I suspect there may be a few chips of metal floating around in there from drilling, which I hope won't cause problems, but all is well for now. I am attempting to attach some pix.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
090605_STI01_lr.jpg (70.2 KB, 1560 views)
090605_STI02_lr.jpg (55.6 KB, 1478 views)
090605_STI03_lr.jpg (56.1 KB, 1466 views)
Likes For dtbaker61:
Old 06-05-09, 12:37 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Congratulations! Necessity is the mother of invention.

Al
Old 06-05-09, 12:37 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
holy exploded cables batman...

good job with that.
Old 06-05-09, 12:42 PM
dtbaker61

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yeah.... I figured I didn't have much to lose... I hope this helps out some other people. I did just write Shimano and am submitting the idea to be built into future models of shifters, and circulation to repair shops. Shall we make bets as to whether they do it? or pay me a small royalty?!
Likes For dtbaker61:
Old 06-05-09, 01:14 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Just think of all the grams it would save too.
Old 06-05-09, 02:42 PM
Booger

Bikes: KHS Flite 750

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had this happen. I fought hard before giving up and taking it into the LBS. They looked at it for about 5 seconds before telling me to warranty it.
Old 06-05-09, 04:28 PM
dtbaker61

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger
...warranty it.
only works if you are the original owner and have paperwork.....
Old 06-08-09, 10:15 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I had this on my Ultegras. My LBS and I fished with a dental tool for ages and finely got it all out.
I am now replacing cables every year, no matter what.

Is this a design flaw, or are we all crimping and weakening our cables when we install them?
Old 06-08-09, 10:22 AM
dtbaker61

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
I had this on my Ultegras. My LBS and I fished with a dental tool for ages and finely got it all out.

Is this a design flaw, or are we all crimping and weakening our cables when we install them?
I think there is a sharp bend in there, but more seriously a design flaw in not designing in an extraction port on the 'low gear' position where you can actually force the shifter to. Hence my 10 minute fix to drill a port...

But yes, I too will replace cables annually, or at the very least inspect in there before big rides...
Old 06-09-09, 12:57 PM
condoruser
Condor commuter London UK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Condor admitted that my shifter was defective. They replaced it with a new one under warranty. This suggests that earlier shifters may have a defect. Before this, when I was trying to extract the broken end, it appeared to me that, as the shifter pulled the cable to the lowest (slowest) gear position, the shifter squeezed the cable so tight that it began the process of slow wear, ending in my 3-monthly breaking.

It remains to be seen how the replacement shifter fares, but I'll be trying to check the cable condition about every 3 months.
Old 06-09-09, 01:18 PM
dtbaker61

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by condoruser
They replaced it with a new one under warranty. This suggests that earlier shifters may have a defect.
hhhmmmm, but not much help since I bought bike used, no warranty.

d
Old 06-09-09, 01:53 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by dtbaker61
so... it IS possible to recover a stuck cable end from a worst case break! yippee..... question is why Shimano hasn't pre-drilled an access hole for this issue?!
+1
This is a keeper!
Old 06-09-09, 05:12 PM
dvs cycles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
question is why Shimano hasn't pre-drilled an access hole for this issue?!
I've only broke one cable about 14 years ago while on a ride. 8sp. Since then with 9sp and 10sp I've caught them before breaking but showing signs of fraying by doing the inspection whenever I have the bike on the stand for cleaning. I also learned to recognise the erratic shifting of a Dura-Ace shifter cable on it's last legs and got to them before they break.
I don't think this is enough an issue for most people for Shimano to make a hole and would the hole you drilled work for EVERY possible place a stuck cable end could fall?
Old 05-22-10, 02:35 AM
mistermartin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
broken shifter cable fix - AWESOME solution !

I want to say THANK YOU !!
Your method of drilling a hole - especially being able to see pictures, worked a treat!
My hole started 1cm (3/8?) from cable slot end , and then got a safety pin - made a small hook on end so i could pull the cable end out of the hole (a bit fiddly). My hole size was 6mm (1/4) which was big enough to get in and reach.
Otherwise it would have been down to the bike shop for $100 minimum, if not more... Good luck to anyone else who tries!

THANK YOU...

ps: my shifters are shimano ST-5400 (Tiagra)
Old 06-23-10, 05:56 PM
robsonhill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah.... I figured I didn't have much to lose... I hope this helps out some other people. I did just write Shimano and am submitting the idea to be built into future models of shifters, and circulation to repair shops.
What did Shimano write in reply?

P.S. Thanks for suggesting this idea to us. I tried your idea of drilling to remove a broken cable head from an ancient Altus A10 rear shifter this February. It gave me more months of life out of the shifter before it broke for good. (I think it broke because of old age, not because of the 1/16" hole I drilled.)
Old 10-03-10, 07:03 PM
BosDon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great solution. Saved me big $$$$$

THANK YOU! This is a perfect solution. Yesterday, 50 miles from home, my rear shifter cable snapped at the head. It was a tough ride home. Today I bought all the necessary replacement parts thinking it was going to be an easy repair. WRONG!! After removing the old cable I realized that the frayed stop inside my shifter wouldn't budge (and many expletives at the mechanical engineers at Shimano) I don't even know how they replace this cable under good circumstances! The drill hole idea worked perfectly. I used a 5/16 drill bit and needle nose pliers to pull the sucker out.
Here's a link to a couple of pics: https://gallery.me.com/donlutkus#1001...lack&view=grid
Old 11-20-10, 09:22 PM
JimmyJars
highflange.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for this post. Today about 70 miles into a century my rear derailleur cable snapped off at the head. Wound up using the info in the first post to get out it saving me a $200-300 shifter replacement.
Old 11-20-10, 09:38 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew

I don't know for sure, but I've seen it happen a lot with Shimano shifters. Ask Dan..... The cable is routed across a very tight radius, and it frays pretty badly over time. If I were running Shimano gear, I'd replace my cables on a regular basis.

I have Campagnolo on all my bikes and have never suffered from this issue. I have fished out a few for friends, though - requires patience, perseverance, dental tools, and a little luck.

S. J. Perelman
Old 11-21-10, 07:37 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
I've never seen this look like happening on any of my STIs... never had a cable fray at the head.

And I wouldn't go drilling holes... I'd muster up the gumption to disassemble. May as well overhaul em while you're at it...

It's a tedious, painstaking task, but it really doesn't require a lot more than the necessary tinkering experience and vigilant caution.

Work on a white sheet on the floor, in order not to lose any of the many tiny parts... figuring out reassembly is intimidating, but a bit of mechanical genius and a lot of perseverance should get you through. Paying as much attention as possible and taking pics as you disassemble will help here, too.

It can be done.
Old 11-21-10, 08:26 AM
Marlin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had this same problem. Cable end broke off and cable was frayed so that the barrel would not rotate back to where I could grab and remove the end. As one last attempt before getting out the drill, I used a small hex wrench and poked it down the hole to try to push the frayed cable strands down. It took several attempts, but finally the barrel came loose and rotated back up to where I could grab the end and remove it.

This was the second time that shifter cable had broken. I think I will be replacing the cable on a regular, preventive mtce. basis from now on.
Old 11-21-10, 05:39 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
I just realised a possible reason why this has never happened to me; I rarely find myself on the small side of the cassette.

The cable would get fatigued by shifting between the highest two or three gears, I guess.
Old 02-21-11, 02:05 PM
PN22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dtbaker61 - followed this step by step and recovered the frayed cable end. many thanks for very innovative solution!
Old 02-21-11, 02:12 PM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remove the lever from the bar it will be much easer to remove it.

But good job removing it!

Last edited by JTGraphics; 02-21-11 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-11-11, 01:51 AM
RogerParkyn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I decided to try drilling an 'extraction hole' in the shifter body
Thanks for this post! Worked well and saved me a LOT of hassle and $.

My shifters are shimano ST-5400 (Tiagra). Cable was about 2-3 years old.

BTW: To all the people who reckon you can get these things out with any of: small instruments; careful pulling; or dismantleing I can say that I am very sure that those methods would not have worked for me.

Learning: Replace rear derailleur cable yearly or this design fault causes a lot of trouble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.