Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Holy Cow

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-16, 05:59 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Holy Cow

Flea marketing yesterday and spotted this. At first I thought it was a road bike frame with incorrect wheels, but no, the brakes matched up so 26” wheels were right. Very low price so I bought it on a whim.

A little research seemed to indicate it was just a large frame (23”---my road bike size) mountain bike. Really looks goofy to me.

Shimano sis, Araya 26 x 1.50 wheels, thumb shifters, cantis, a biopace type chain ring, and an unbelievably heavy Chromo 4130 frame. Feels like a Varsity.

Obviously post 1988 as shown on the decal that states, “Made in Taiwan for BMX products”

It does seem to be in nice condition: good paint, shifters work, wheels straight, nice saddle (original?), so I’m tempted to throw on a pair of 26 x 1.75’s I have laying around and give it a go.

Who can tell me about my extremely rare and valuable new find?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (102.1 KB, 153 views)
2.jpg (71.0 KB, 98 views)
3.jpg (93.8 KB, 101 views)
4.jpg (93.6 KB, 100 views)
5.jpg (102.3 KB, 88 views)
6.jpg (97.3 KB, 95 views)
7.jpg (101.4 KB, 93 views)
Old 05-01-16, 06:21 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5935 Post(s)
Liked 3,623 Times in 2,150 Posts
Looks to be a good quality vintage mountain bike in excellent condition. They are not worth much by and large (a few are usu. from custom builders and some of the very early ones) but they make great riders. I'm a fan of vintage mountain bikes and own 3 of them.
Old 05-01-16, 06:24 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Probably a 1993-1994 Alta. Frame is heavy as it is a big frame, typical lugless nukeproof construction. OEM spec below, mostly STX

1994 Mongoose Alta - BikePedia

Apparently on your nice score little is OEM, except for cranks, brakes(?) and seat post, but should work fine.

Enjoy.

I have a Mongoose Rockadile in the work queue and look forward to putting it into the vacation home fleet.

Last edited by oddjob2; 05-01-16 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-01-16, 06:45 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
More like 86/88 IMHO. STX was that smoked chrome with modern looking logo stuff. Here's the 88 catalog, and even the saddle looks like stock equipment? As always ALL bearings should be cleaned out and repacked BEFORE riding it at all. Bearings will blow out quickly if ridden with old dried up grease, and even a few mile "test ride" can make you have to replace wheels, bottom bracket, etc. The headset is not quite as critical, but close. Don't be tempted to ride it until you do the necessary deeds.,,,,BD

Scroll down through the Mangusta road bikes, the high end mountain offerings, and it's not far past that...

https://www.vintagemongoose.com/pdfs/mongoose_cat88.pdf

Last edited by Bikedued; 05-01-16 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-01-16, 07:38 AM
okane

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
More like 86/88 IMHO. STX was that smoked chrome with modern looking logo stuff. Here's the 88 catalog, and even the saddle looks like stock equipment? As always ALL bearings should be cleaned out and repacked BEFORE riding it at all. Bearings will blow out quickly if ridden with old dried up grease, and even a few mile "test ride" can make you have to replace wheels, bottom bracket, etc. The headset is not quite as critical, but close. Don't be tempted to ride it until you do the necessary deeds.,,,,BD

Scroll down through the Mangusta road bikes, the high end mountain offerings, and it's not far past that...

https://www.vintagemongoose.com/pdfs/mongoose_cat88.pdf
Know all about the dried grease. Looked at the link.....believe that's it....and the saddle on the bike does look like the one on the bike.

Was this one made before Mongoose sold out to walmart (pacific)?
Old 05-01-16, 07:59 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by okane
Know all about the dried grease. Looked at the link.....believe that's it....and the saddle on the bike does look like the one on the bike.

Was this one made before Mongoose sold out to walmart (pacific)?
Yes, I think they sold out in 2001 to Pacific, who owns just about everything sold at Walmarts

Glenn
Old 05-01-16, 08:41 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3946 Post(s)
Liked 4,949 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk
I think it will look less weird with some tires on it.
I've got two 23" MBs, the Miyata dressed as an offroad tourer and a Technium which is a single speeded and really needs a drop bar to be a '20's TDF tribute bike.
Does the suspension stem on the Miyata squeak? Have a Softride stem that had to go back in the box because I couldn't get it to stop squeaking.
Old 05-01-16, 09:35 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 2612 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 948 Posts
Originally Posted by okane

Who can tell me about my extremely rare and valuable new find?
You have a 1988 Mongoose ATB with a CrMo frame and fork, Shimano 6 speed SIS derailleurs, DiaCompe brakes, sealed bearing Joytech hubs laced to Araya rims with a Viscount Terra B-1 saddle. It also has what appear to be Biopace chainrings, plastic pedals and a white front, and red rear reflector.

You have also somewhat recently mowed your lawn- and it's in really nice shape. I'd be a bit concerned about that small bare patch- but overall, your lawn is in MUCH better shape than ours. Additionally, you appear to have done some nice work in maintaining the planted areas of your yard. Again, much nicer than what I've maintained our yard.

Also, you, or someone you know has a blue sweatshirt.

As far as value- someone would pay money for the bike, the parts, the sweatshirt and your lawn care/gardening expertise.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 05-02-16, 06:15 AM
okane

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
You have a 1988 Mongoose ATB with a CrMo frame and fork, Shimano 6 speed SIS derailleurs, DiaCompe brakes, sealed bearing Joytech hubs laced to Araya rims with a Viscount Terra B-1 saddle. It also has what appear to be Biopace chainrings, plastic pedals and a white front, and red rear reflector.

You have also somewhat recently mowed your lawn- and it's in really nice shape. I'd be a bit concerned about that small bare patch- but overall, your lawn is in MUCH better shape than ours. Additionally, you appear to have done some nice work in maintaining the planted areas of your yard. Again, much nicer than what I've maintained our yard.

Also, you, or someone you know has a blue sweatshirt.

As far as value- someone would pay money for the bike, the parts, the sweatshirt and your lawn care/gardening expertise.

Thanks for the info, especially about the color of the reflectors....I always wondered about that!

The planted areas of the yard are my wife's bailiwick and I will convey to her your compliments. I will not mention the "small bare patch" to which you refer as it will become my duty to rectify if I do. My areas of concern are bikes, any non-bike mechanical or electrical issues (vacuum cleaner, blender, etc.), motor vehicle, and general home owner repairs as needed.....in that order.

As you can see by the attached photos, others have expressed their approval of the landscaping.

Moreover, thank you for your astute observations.

Attached Images
deer2b.jpg (101.9 KB, 68 views)
luckcartm.jpg (102.0 KB, 64 views)