Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bib shorts

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bib shorts

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-11, 12:03 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Bib shorts

What is the deal with bib shorts? To me they look uncomfortable. Looks like they would pull down on your shoulders constantly and cause pain in your traps.

Also, can anyone recommend an inexpensive bib short, less than $50? Nashbar has a number of inexpensive bibs, but they all get bad reviews.

Last edited by pgjackson; 01-16-11 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-16-11, 12:18 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
What is the deal with bib shorts? To me they look uncomfortable. Looks like they would pull down on your shoulders constantly and cause pain in your traps.

Also, can anyone recommend an inexpensive bib short, less than $50? Nashbar has a number of inexpensive bibs, but they all get bad reviews.
If you're going to suffer with shoulder pain, you may as well not spend more than fifty bucks, right?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-16-11, 12:30 AM
DRietz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The straps on bibs really don't pull that hard. Just enough to keep the shorts part from turning you into the stereotypical plumber.

https://www.hammernutrition.com/produ...navcat=cycling

$70 and many members here have a 15% discount link in their signatures. Very quality bibs, too.
Old 01-16-11, 12:43 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 1,222 Times in 699 Posts
The straps aren't really tight. The only downside I see in bibs are the extra step to use the toilet, but that's nothing compared to the uncomfortably tight waistband, the plumber's butt, and the beer gut rolling over the front with regular shorts.
Old 01-16-11, 12:46 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
If you are looking for budget bib shorts try love2pedal. I have used those on a couple of centuries with absolutely no issues. There's also aerotechdesigns.com.
Old 01-16-11, 02:06 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't try them, you will hate em!
Old 01-16-11, 04:23 AM
wrr1020

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I second the recommendation for the love2pedal bibs, i use these bibs all the time and for the price you can't beat them.
Old 01-16-11, 07:02 AM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Remember that you are talking about 2 different positions: Standing upright and Leaning over a bike. The bibs are designed to function correctly for riding. Standing upright is a secondary concern. Assuming you are wearing the correct size, they will tug at your shoulders a bit. However, after a few minutes you won't notice.
Old 01-16-11, 07:28 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

The deal is they're comfortable and if you get the right size the straps are not going to pull on your shoulders to the point it would be noticeable. I agree with those who say you shouldn't be cheap (if you can of course) on the points which come in contact with the bike; check chainreaction cycles and PBK for deals on bib shorts.
Old 01-16-11, 08:02 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never go cheap on bibs or saddles. You'll end up wanting something better and that $50 will be wasted. Look for some clearance stuff, a big sale, or try something like the Hammer bibs where you get a discount for being a billboard.
Old 01-16-11, 08:27 AM
Crappymonkey
Guitar Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
If you are looking for budget bib shorts try love2pedal. I have used those on a couple of centuries with absolutely no issues. There's also aerotechdesigns.com.
I also have some of the love2pedal falconi bibs and I've been happy with them.
Old 01-16-11, 08:36 AM
KiuBWhy

Bikes: 2007 Trek 1600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its one of those things that you can spend hours debating yourself on, until you buy some and try them in which case you take a complete 180 degree stance change on them. You'll likely never go back and at the very least you'll probably cave to peer pressure eventually.

As for the cheap ones that work well: Scour PBK for their sales or you can pick up some Hammer kits here. (pls use me as a referral if you DO order. (Shameless Plug)
Old 01-16-11, 09:26 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by wrr1020
I second the recommendation for the love2pedal bibs, i use these bibs all the time and for the price you can't beat them.
How do the Love2Pedal bibs compare to more expensive bibs, such as Giordanas or Castellis?
Old 01-16-11, 09:47 AM
mxs

Bikes: Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used a pair of PI mid-level shorts for a year before picking up a set of BMC bibs; I could not say no to the sale price. At first I was a bit skeptical, but after wearing them a handful of times now I would say there is definitely a difference. I have never had issues with the 'tight waistline' that people often complain about, but I do notice a bit more support with the bibs and have no issues with them inching their way down. If I had to choose between $100 shorts and $150 bibs I would probably just go for the shorts, but if you can find a deal totally go for it. For some good deals try looking at 2009-2010 stock as they tend to be a steal!
Old 01-16-11, 09:49 AM
teterider
On the Move

Bikes: Lots

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bonktown has had some good deals on bibs, and the Performance Elite or Ultra shorts are consistently rated very high by me, people in this forum, and magazines. They have Italian chamois and good stitching. I actually like the Elites over the Ultra on the bib side, and they are on sale for $60.
Old 01-16-11, 09:58 AM
techlogik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bib cycling shorts are akin to bib skiing pants....ridiculous looking and outdated. But to each his own.
Old 01-16-11, 10:01 AM
chasmm

Bikes: '85 Rossin Super Record, '88 Specialized Sequoia, '10 Raleigh Cadent FT2, '10 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the Performance Ultra II bibs: https://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1071114_-1___

If you can find a sale and/or a coupon, you can often get these for about $50.

And if you're interested in an approximation of bibs, you can always try a pair of suspenders with your regular shorts/tights. Not nearly as nice, but you can loosen the drawstring and see if you like the feel. Keep in mind that most "good" bibs will have a nice wide shoulder strap...
Old 01-16-11, 10:05 AM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mt. Borah has a bib they released last year that is comparable to much more expensive bibs. Retail is $100. They are as comfortable as my Kalas and Santini bibs.

You can't tell someone why bibs are better. They have to try them. Then they understand and never buy a pair of shorts again.
Old 01-16-11, 10:09 AM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by techlogik
Bib cycling shorts are akin to bib skiing pants....ridiculous looking and outdated. But to each his own.
I thought that at first but noticed damn near every pro wears them. I have four pairs of regular shorts and don't have any problems. I've been wondering if I'll be a bit more comfortable in bibs.
Old 01-16-11, 10:14 AM
racin jasin
JDM RHD BIKE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you spend $50 on any bike short they are not going to be worth a damn!
Old 01-16-11, 10:15 AM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
For something to be "outdated," it would need to have been supplanted with something. And yet bibs are still the standard. As for how they look, with a properly fitting jersey, we shouldn't be able to really tell if one is wearing bibs or shorts.
Old 01-16-11, 10:18 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by vkalia
How do the Love2Pedal bibs compare to more expensive bibs, such as Giordanas or Castellis?
I have Giordana and Castelli bib shorts. The difference that I have noticed would be the hand of the fabric and the material of the chamois.
Old 01-16-11, 10:24 AM
teterider
On the Move

Bikes: Lots

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thats ok, once you leave your tween years and realize sometimes there is more to equipment than looking cool, you'll see the light. No man does, and no man should, walk around with just bib shorts on regardless of how fit. So once the jersey is pulled on 20 seconds after the shorts, there is no difference except for the next 100 miles of comfort and no skin exposure.
Old 01-16-11, 10:39 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I don't have a problem with plummer-butt in my regular shorts and don't find the waistband uncomfortable...but so many people swear by the bibs that I thought I might give it a try...but I'm not going to spend $120 on a pair of shorts that I might not like. I'll check out some of the recommendations.
Old 01-16-11, 11:11 AM
grwoolf

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+ 1 on Performance Ultra II's, very nice bib for the $, watch for a sale and they should be around $50. I have the Ultras and a couple pair of Assos Uno's (which are not cheap). I prefer the Assos, but I'd say the Ultra's are a better value and they are still in my 'rotation'. By the way, the Ultra's and Uno's have the same brand of chamois, just a different style.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.