Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show me classic brevet bikes with 38C tires

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show me classic brevet bikes with 38C tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-16, 10:43 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
That explains a lot. I've read some of his writings but none of his books. I find his POV entertaining and amusing and occasionally insightful. While I've never been one to drink the kool aid, so to speak, I'm still appreciative of his contributions.

OT but I once spent several months obsessing over the Duomo and trying to figure out the secret method.
Hey, we all drink kool aid, but there are a lot of different flavors to choose from. And there's nothing wrong at all with the bikes he designs. A lot of people ride them and rare very happy with them. I just think there's a better solution for riding long distances and carrying a day's worth of kit.

For those wondering what the fuss about "il duomo"...
Old 09-16-16, 12:25 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by mariachi
I also want a mount for a rim dynamo and he said battery lights are easier to maintain, so he obviously has a different bike in his mind
Why not a hub dynamo?
Old 09-16-16, 12:57 AM
mariachi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
You know the Germans always make good stuff.
The latest thing I've seen here is "Design made in germany" or "Made with german standards" (in china). Even distilled water has a huge badge saying "Quality Made in Germany". They do make good things, but this obsession is borderline hilarious. Amazing country to cycle though, specially the south. I can only recommend it.

Originally Posted by gugie
Brevet and randonneuring are really interchangable words. Based on what I've seen from online forums and pictures, German randonneuring isn't at a state as it is in the US, and most are riding road racing bikes. OP (that's Original Poster), is that what you see?

People here tend to use race bikes with skinny tires (25c, maybe the occasional 28c). You also see recumbents. Usually cargo is carried in (most often) a single pannier in the back or (less often) two panniers plus a handlebar bag of the klick-fix type. I see a lot of people without fenders.

It's odd that the Europeans are looking to the US builders for randonneuring bike design. People like Peter Weigle, Jan Heine and others studied those old French constructeurs, just as Brunelleschi studied Roman ruins before designing the Duomo in Florence.

@mariachi, if your English builder is confused about your request, I'd find another builder. If you can't find one in Europe, contact some American builders that know and understand this style. I have no idea of your budget, but some great American builders are listed here:

M.A.P. Cycles
Lyonsport
Norther Cycles
Chapman Cycles

For me it makes sense. I'm pretty young (both in chronological age (26) and in cycling age) and so I never really tried a lot of bicycles. But my first bike ever was a dumpster find with cottered cranks and remotely french looking. I cleaned it, fixed it and rode my first ever solo 100km with it and fell in love with the sport. I don't fell the same when I look at a modern aggressive carbon bike. The french knew their stuff.

I love Chapman's bikes, but there are a couple of issues for me. #1 It's on the other side of Atlantic and that means I would probably not be able to both meet the builder and do a proper fitting before the build. #2 taxes and shipping will inflate the price. My budget for the frame is around 1800€.

The mates are not confused about the build. I guess they are confused because I said I wanted a more sporty-handling bike (as opposed to a very stable touring bike meant to carry a huge load, I will never ride this bike with more than 10kg) AND big tires. They didn't say it was impossible or difficult to find a geometry that would work, they simply don't understand exactly what I want, hence my call for pictures. I would love to have a french inspired 650B, but I don't trust this whole 650B fad yet and will wait and see a couple more years.

Originally Posted by jade408
Why not a hub dynamo?
I'm getting a Velogical rim dynamo (made in germany) for my humble commuter and, if I like it, will also get it for my randonneur. On my current bike, a Faggin with cantis, I sometimes use a wheelset with a shimano dynohub but I would like to have a full dura-ace 7900 wheelset on my new bike and for that I need an alternative generator.

It's still not set in stone though, first I need to get the bike
@Everyone else: thanks for the bike pics. the Raleigh is lovely!
Old 09-16-16, 08:17 AM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
[IMG][/IMG]

The bike I grab most often fits your description pretty well. Its an 81 Centurion, fits 38's. Mostly use it when I don't know what kind of road surface I will be on. Not the best picture, but proves that you can hang with modern bikes on an antique.
On the day this picture was taken, I should have ridden a 23mm tire bike.
Old 09-16-16, 08:24 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

People here tend to use race bikes with skinny tires (25c, maybe the occasional 28c). You also see recumbents. Usually cargo is carried in (most often) a single pannier in the back or (less often) two panniers plus a handlebar bag of the klick-fix type. I see a lot of people without fenders.

For me it makes sense. I'm pretty young (both in chronological age (26) and in cycling age) and so I never really tried a lot of bicycles. But my first bike ever was a dumpster find with cottered cranks and remotely french looking. I cleaned it, fixed it and rode my first ever solo 100km with it and fell in love with the sport. I don't fell the same when I look at a modern aggressive carbon bike. The french knew their stuff.

I love Chapman's bikes, but there are a couple of issues for me. #1 It's on the other side of Atlantic and that means I would probably not be able to both meet the builder and do a proper fitting before the build. #2 taxes and shipping will inflate the price. My budget for the frame is around 1800€.

The mates are not confused about the build. I guess they are confused because I said I wanted a more sporty-handling bike (as opposed to a very stable touring bike meant to carry a huge load, I will never ride this bike with more than 10kg) AND big tires. They didn't say it was impossible or difficult to find a geometry that would work, they simply don't understand exactly what I want, hence my call for pictures. I would love to have a french inspired 650B, but I don't trust this whole 650B fad yet and will wait and see a couple more years.

I'm getting a Velogical rim dynamo (made in germany) for my humble commuter and, if I like it, will also get it for my randonneur. On my current bike, a Faggin with cantis, I sometimes use a wheelset with a shimano dynohub but I would like to have a full dura-ace 7900 wheelset on my new bike and for that I need an alternative generator.

It's still not set in stone though, first I need to get the bike
@Everyone else: thanks for the bike pics. the Raleigh is lovely!
The 650b thing is definitely not a fad here, but understand if you prefer going 700c. What size frame do you normally ride? If you're down around 56-57cm or smaller, fat tires and fenders would be a lot easier to design around with 650b. Bigger, not so much an issue.

The Velogical rim dynamo is a wonderful, little thing, but my understanding is that power output is not nearly what the hub dynamos can do.

More inspirational sources:
J.P. Weigle

Riding to the Bicycle Quarterly un-meeting this summer:
Old 09-16-16, 08:47 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts

The mates are not confused about the build. I guess they are confused because I said I wanted a more sporty-handling bike (as opposed to a very stable touring bike meant to carry a huge load, I will never ride this bike with more than 10kg) AND big tires. They didn't say it was impossible or difficult to find a geometry that would work, they simply don't understand exactly what I want, hence my call for pictures. I would love to have a french inspired 650B, but I don't trust this whole 650B fad yet and will wait and see a couple more years
While it seems like the understand what you want on paper, they don't seem to think it is something that exists in the wild. I'd keep looking for a builder that has more experience with your desired bike style.

It sounds like for them it would be an experiment. Do you want to be their Guinea pig?
Old 09-16-16, 09:13 AM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
I had the same dilemma regarding tire width and wheel size. I researched this extensively a few years ago for a couple of custom builds of my own (one for my partner and one for me.) This is what I found out:

700c is great, but as others have indicated, you (or the builder) can easily open a can of worms if you would like to fit wide tires, especially if you want to prevent the dreaded "toe-strike" at low speeds which is easy to do with 38mm tires and fenders depending on the frame size. It can be done but compromises in the steering/handling department might need to be made which could bring disappointments to the end-user. Wide tires on a larger wheel size affect tremendously the feel of the bike -- i.e., it will no longer feel too "sportive".

650b size wheels (AKA 584mm) is what builders mainly in North America prefer to use for the classic "sportive" rando/brevet bikes. It makes sense given that you can easily fit ~42mm tires with fenders. But finding replacement tires outside of the U.S. and France can be really tricky, to say the least. You just need to plan on having an extra pair of tires in your personal stock. Builders tend to go with what they call a "low trail" front geometry which improves the steering dramatically with the load of front bags or handlebar bags randonneurs usually use on their brevets to easily access their food and other essentials. In Europe, I would be looking at French builders for this sort of bike who have an in-depth understanding and sensibility for this type of bikes.

26" wheels (559mm) - If you don't feel confident about the 650b wheel size, this is a very good alternative. Tires are available anywhere in the world, so this is good if you think you might want to travel one day to participate in brevets in other parts of the world as shops will easily carry spares. Just don't try to look for really skinny tires as they're not so easy to find and don't expect anyone in the brevet to carry 26" spare tubes or tires. Having said this, wider tires seem to be exceptionally more resistant to flats. For randonneuring purposes, 1.5"-1.75" tire width (40mm to 47mm) seems to be the happy medium for speed and comfort. A good builder can very much build it as a 650b bike to make it feel nimble with the traditional front/handlebar bag and you will not have no issues of toe-strike even if you would like to go crazy with much wider tires. The added bonus is that a smart build with this wheel size can easily double as a touring bike if one day you change your mind and would like to explore parts of the world with it.

It is so that we decided to go with 26" wheels on our retro randonneur custom builds:

The red bike above took me successfully over the finish line at the 2015 Paris-Brest-Paris (1,230 Km < 90 hrs) :
Old 09-16-16, 10:36 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 936 Posts
The latest thing I've seen here is "Design made in germany" or "Made with german standards" (in china). Even distilled water has a huge badge saying "Quality Made in Germany". They do make good things, but this obsession is borderline hilarious. Amazing country to cycle though, specially the south. I can only recommend it.
I really only making fun of the Shamwow commercial, but it's interesting the pride they culturally take in "made in Germany."

I was only in Germany for a month or so, back in 1988. Spent it driving around the countryside in Southern Germany- I remember how beautiful it was.

One of my "someday" adventures is to do a European/French/Normandy/Brittany bicycle tour.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-16-16, 11:19 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
I had the same dilemma regarding tire width and wheel size. I researched this extensively a few years ago for a couple of custom builds of my own (one for my partner and one for me.) This is what I found out:

700c is great, but as others have indicated, you (or the builder) can easily open a can of worms if you would like to fit wide tires, especially if you want to prevent the dreaded "toe-strike" at low speeds which is easy to do with 38mm tires and fenders depending on the frame size. It can be done but compromises in the steering/handling department might need to be made which could bring disappointments to the end-user. Wide tires on a larger wheel size affect tremendously the feel of the bike -- i.e., it will no longer feel too "sportive".

650b size wheels (AKA 584mm) is what builders mainly in North America prefer to use for the classic "sportive" rando/brevet bikes. It makes sense given that you can easily fit ~42mm tires with fenders. But finding replacement tires outside of the U.S. and France can be really tricky, to say the least. You just need to plan on having an extra pair of tires in your personal stock. Builders tend to go with what they call a "low trail" front geometry which improves the steering dramatically with the load of front bags or handlebar bags randonneurs usually use on their brevets to easily access their food and other essentials. In Europe, I would be looking at French builders for this sort of bike who have an in-depth understanding and sensibility for this type of bikes.

26" wheels (559mm) - If you don't feel confident about the 650b wheel size, this is a very good alternative. Tires are available anywhere in the world, so this is good if you think you might want to travel one day to participate in brevets in other parts of the world as shops will easily carry spares. Just don't try to look for really skinny tires as they're not so easy to find and don't expect anyone in the brevet to carry 26" spare tubes or tires. Having said this, wider tires seem to be exceptionally more resistant to flats. For randonneuring purposes, 1.5"-1.75" tire width (40mm to 47mm) seems to be the happy medium for speed and comfort. A good builder can very much build it as a 650b bike to make it feel nimble with the traditional front/handlebar bag and you will not have no issues of toe-strike even if you would like to go crazy with much wider tires. The added bonus is that a smart build with this wheel size can easily double as a touring bike if one day you change your mind and would like to explore parts of the world with it.

It is so that we decided to go with 26" wheels on our retro randonneur custom builds:

The red bike above took me successfully over the finish line at the 2015 Paris-Brest-Paris (1,230 Km < 90 hrs) :
This.

And I can't even access your pics from work (blocked by employeer), but I'm sure I'll comment more when I get home to look at them.

Edit: Wow, nice rides, both of them!

Last edited by gugie; 09-16-16 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-16-16, 11:20 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
One of my "someday" adventures is to do a European/French/Normandy/Brittany bicycle tour.
Me too!
Old 09-16-16, 12:46 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
It's funny because at one time Germany had the same sort of reputation as China does now, for cheap but somewhat shoddy manufactured goods. (fairly or not) Part of the reason for the Bauhaus was to correct this. Obviously it worked.
Germany has a long craftsman tradition going back at least to the Middle Ages. They were famous all over Europe as experts in steel, ceramics, glass, chemicals, and many other mediums, and when they industrialized in the 19th century they kept this tradition of quality.
Old 09-16-16, 02:36 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
This.

And I can't even access your pics from work (blocked by employeer), but I'm sure I'll comment more when I get home to look at them.
+1 to all of the above.

26" is a pretty evergreen wheel standard, so I'd feel pretty confident speccing a bike around it. And with Compass's latest offerings, you can get fat/supple/light/fast tires for it. Buy a few spares and keep 'em in the freezer if you're concerned.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-17-16, 02:27 AM
mariachi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
so everyone's general consensus is "don't do it", right? I would also be happy with 35C tires, narrower and I will be underbiking a lot of the time. Most brevets here (if not all) are on asphalt and the occasional forest road but usually fine gravel. I tend to find a lot of coarser gravel when riding on my own though, and my current bike with 28C Gravel Kings just doesn't cut it.
Old 09-17-16, 04:52 AM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
so everyone's general consensus is "don't do it", right? I would also be happy with 35C tires, narrower and I will be underbiking a lot of the time. Most brevets here (if not all) are on asphalt and the occasional forest road but usually fine gravel. I tend to find a lot of coarser gravel when riding on my own though, and my current bike with 28C Gravel Kings just doesn't cut it.
It sounds like right from the start you will be really dissapointed if you can't get 700c x 35-38mm tires. Again, it can be done but how much are you willing to compromise in the design/function of the bike? Could you give up the nimble sportive handling? Could you give up the mudguards with such tires? Are you willing to put up with toe strike at low speeds possibly when facing a technical area on a forest road? Also, why not 26" wheels if the plan is to play with wide tires most of the time, they are easy to find anywhere in the world, you won't get toe strike and the bike can be made with pretty nimbly steering? Yes, it's not a conventional wheel size on road bikes (same goes with 650b), but it will get you much closer in function and form. So, first, you need to answer these questions yourself and set your priorities straight. Your builder really wants to grasp your imaginary design, but just keep in mind that some things are not possible given the limitations of bicycle dynamics. It's just as hard to make a Ford F-150 truck handle like a BMW 3 series.

By the way, a good builder not comfortable with a client's odd requests will end up walking away from the business. This goes to you too, as you should gauge in your communications with him how enthusiastic/confident he is about delivering your vision. Maybe he simply lacks the expertise with such design and the last thing either party wants is to mark his reputation. That happened to me with my 26” wheel rando bike. The first builder I interviewed several years ago entertained the idea for a week or so. One day I got an email advising that he wasn't comfortable building a rando bike around 26” wheels. This was in spite of his 40+ years of experience. He thought it was an odd design and walked away. I continued my search and found another builder who loved my project. In the end, he delivered and I couldn't be happier!

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 09-17-16 at 05:04 AM.
Old 09-17-16, 05:39 AM
mariachi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
By the way, a good builder not comfortable with a client's odd requests will end up walking away from the business. This goes to you too, as you should gauge in your communications with him how enthusiastic/confident he is about delivering your vision. Maybe he simply lacks the expertise with such design and the last thing either party wants is to mark his reputation. That happened to me with my 26” wheel rando bike. The first builder I interviewed several years ago entertained the idea for a week or so. One day I got an email advising that he wasn't comfortable building a rando bike around 26” wheels. This was in spite of his 40+ years of experience. He thought it was an odd design and walked away. I continued my search and found another builder who loved my project. In the end, he delivered and I couldn't be happier!
I will be disappointed with anything narrower than 35mm yes. I don't believe I'm asking for something too exoteric when even Specialized mass produces it, just look at the Diverge or the renewed Sequoia. Why am I not buying them? I want something made of steel and classic looking, but if it becomes too much of a hassle yes I'll get one of those.

You make very points thanks. I explained to him how I ride my bike (mostly mixed terrain when alone, asphalt when riding with the local club and next year I want to tackle Brevets up to 600km). So I think now hw will understand what I'm looking for. If he doesn't feel comfortable even regarding his experience, I'll just have to look for another one.

My commuter, a Giant Super Sierra frame with parts from my basement, has 26" wheels and Kojack 50mm slicks. I'm figuring out if I can convert it to drops (I'll probably open another thread for that). So I can sympathize with your idea, but for now I want to stay with 700C wheels because I already have two nice wheelsets that I want to use.

Let's see how this unfolds.. in the meantime I'll keep on being the strange guy in the group rides with shiny fenders and huge 28C tires
Old 09-17-16, 06:45 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
For "classic" brevet bikes with tires around that size, you really must look to the French framebuilders. Alex Singer and Rene Herse are the big names, but there were others.

A drop bar bike with a 700x38 tire was essentially unheard of in North America until around 10-15 years ago, with the exception of the Specialized Expedition touring bike of the 80s. OK, on second thought Rivendell started up in the mid 90s, but they were alone. There were possibly some boutique custom framebuilders.

Nowadays, there are many options. Perhaps the three most obvious suppliers of that style of bike in the USA are Rivendell, Velo Orange, and SOMA.

Atlantis - Our best selling touring bike - by Rivendell Bicycle Works
Double Cross (Complete Bicycle) | SOMA Fabrications
VO Campeur Frameset - Campeur - Frames
@ Mariachi,

When you say you want a brevet or randonneuse bike and consider the French model for the design, many people have in mind low trail. Rivendell won't get you that, and Velo Orange will only get you that in the heavily-built Campeur. Soma has some low trail, and sells some low trail conversion forks. I think they have them with clearance for that tire w. fender, but you'd have to check.

Not to say low trail is required! it's just that not all these suppliers provide it.

On the custom side, one of the best builders for such a bike is Boulder Bicycles, who also make the modern Rene Herse. Boulder does 700c and 650b, off the peg, partly custom, or full custom. And they are on-board with rando/brevet setups including generator lighting.

Where in Germany? I've spent considerable time in Nordrhein-Westphal, and I know what you mean about the German style in bikes.

Last edited by Road Fan; 09-17-16 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-17-16, 06:56 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
That's interesting... you'd think that with all of the fully-integrated commuter bikes they have in Germany and elsewhere in Europe, he'd grok what you were going for. Does he cater more to the roadie crowd?
My experience in Germany is that the roadie crowd as we know it is not real large!
Old 09-17-16, 07:46 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
My experience in Germany is that the roadie crowd as we know it is not real large!
They are certainly there, at least in the Chiemgau region of Bayern.

My wife's family is sprinkled throughout the Chiemsee gebiet.

When we visit every few years, we bike on a daily basis.

We see waves of roadies training around the Chiemsee, often dealing with the considerable traffic in this tourist area.

FWIW

I had a Rivendell Rambouillet there until recently, but am looking for something a bit different the next time we visit.

I am seriously downsizing my collection at the moment down to 3-4 bikes.

That being said, I really want to have a permanent bike waiting for me when I arrive. Probably something nifty for my wife as well.

I could see having Joel at Clockwork whipping up a rando frameset like the one discussed here. I'd certainly go the wide tire route(650b), as we are often riding through the mtb trails in the Bavarian foothills. Likely go with a mix of XT and White Industries for the drivetrain.

I'd go with low riders on the front and likely just take my Swift Ozette along in the luggage when we go.

Finally, I can't imagine the op would have a tough time finding a builder here to take care of this bike design. Joel at Clockwork could build something within his budget and I would also take a look at Fitz Cycles.

Waiting around half a decade for a Weigle seems absurd to me, not to mention paying that much when there are so many other builders that produce high quality framesets. To each their own I guess.

Last edited by gomango; 09-17-16 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-17-16, 08:06 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
If low end bikes are permitted in this thread, an early 90's Trek hybrid has classic geometry, cantis and can take very wide rubber ....... Mine doesn't have drops or fenders, but it would not be hard to fathom those additions.

Last edited by oddjob2; 09-17-16 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-17-16, 08:29 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts

snip . . .
I agree about the utility of 26 inch wheels. You can build a fine road bike around this wheel size. I posted about my 1993 XO 2 above. It has road geometry. It takes fat tires comfortable (between 1.5 and 1.75 tires) and it is very comfortable and responsive long distance machine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BstoneXO2Front.jpg (97.5 KB, 219 views)
Old 09-17-16, 08:30 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
My miyata 1000 I posted earlier in the thread gave me no problems with toe overlap nor does a modest handlebar bag seem to affect the handling. It rode well with 32, 35 and 38mm tores. Plastic fenders or silver fenders went on easily. I don't really think the geometry was ill suited to road riding at all, in fact the tubing was much lighter than something like a surly LHT. The miyata catalogue has the full geometry if you wanted to show it to a framebuilder, there are lots of parts made for these kinds of bikes today. I've also done lots of gravel grinding on 28mm tires so everyone has different tastes in that area.
Old 09-17-16, 09:29 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,698 Times in 2,611 Posts
I know you've noted a couple of times that you don't want to go the 650B wheel route, but let me put in a pitch for converting a lightweight roadie into a 650B fat tire all-rounder. I did that with this '97 Lemond Buenos Aires with 38mm Compass tires and have had it on all kinds of mixed surfaces, as well as just regular old road rides.

Old 09-17-16, 09:31 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

@mariachi,

Many a frame has been built "long distance", with the builder never meeting the rider in person. If you've been riding a while, and have a comfortable riding position on a bike you currently have, it's fairly easy to transfer those dimensions to a builder and use that as a starting point. I wouldn't recommend a custom frame to someone that was just getting into riding, you'd be guessing what works for the client. That said,

Someone mentioned Fitz as another choice. A person wanting a custom frame on a budget would be well advised to look at "up and coming" frame builders. He's one of them, IMO, and prices accordingly.
Old 09-17-16, 02:16 PM
mariachi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
@gugie Fitz and Clockwork seem interesting, but again they live on your side of the Atlantic :/ if it doesn't work with the current guy, I would like to work with someone in Europe
Old 09-17-16, 03:22 PM
twolve

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 2012 Goodrich Randoneuse, 2016 A-Train, 2022 Wilde Dream Engine, 2022 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 36 Posts
Not super helpful as it's another US builder here, but this seems like a pretty similar build to what you want. It's very useful and comfy with the big tires, but it also gets up and goes, and is a ton of fun. It can be done.
Attached Images
A-Train.jpg (95.2 KB, 191 views)
A-Train2.jpg (99.6 KB, 193 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.