Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Stone-throwing

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Stone-throwing

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-16, 12:55 PM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gerryl
Some people would say that all of Morocco should be avoided��.
In my case I think it only happened three or four times. It was particularly nasty near a town called Sidi Kacem, on my way to Fez. The kids there seem to have good throwing arms. I found that starring down the little bastards seemed to dissuade most of them.
I have a Jordanian friend who told me to carry a slingshot for this reason. I personally wouldn't, but the idea sounds amusing.
Old 10-26-16, 06:05 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I've toured in Laos, Thailand, Malaysia, and tiny Singapore. Absolutely no problems whatsoever with kids. In some parts of SE Asia, my arm got tired from waving to all of the folks (kids & adults) who were greeting me in a very friendly manner. SE Asia can be a wonderful place for touring.

In the U.S., I once had kids in a car throw full beer cans at me. They missed and turned around and tried to do it again.
Old 10-26-16, 06:12 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Yeap. Same thing in Indonesia, and Timor-Leste. SEA is as a whole the friendliest region.

Originally Posted by axolotl
I've toured in Laos, Thailand, Malaysia, and tiny Singapore. Absolutely no problems whatsoever with kids. In some parts of SE Asia, my arm got tired from waving to all of the folks (kids & adults) who were greeting me in a very friendly manner. SE Asia can be a wonderful place for touring.

In the U.S., I once had kids in a car throw full beer cans at me. They missed and turned around and tried to do it again.
Old 10-26-16, 07:26 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
On my world tour, I had numerous incidents but keep in mind this was over a TWO YEAR period. Still, the worst areas for me were parts of central/South America (no surprise there); Eastern Turkey (was warned about it hundreds of miles in advance); Parts of Iran and Pakistan, and Vietnam. Specifically:

(1) In central/south America, common for kids AND adults to hold a rope across the road and expect money, and throw rocks or try and steal stuff if you try to get by or stop. Best solution is to get off the bike and walk.. or ride through at the same time a car or truck is passing.

(2) Eastern Turkey (kurdish regions) just have a high level of hostility to strangers, and you will be victims of this. I had volleys of rocks thrown by individuals and groups, but always managed to get by. Some of them were remarkably harrowing and I often spent nights wondering how I made it through the day!

(3) I was in Iran and had very LITTLE hostility...but i'll be darned I came upon a group of kids who were throwing rocks already at each other and they just decided I was a neutral target! They missed.

(4) The only time I was hit by a rock was at point blank range by a guy who popped out of an alley in Pakistan's Northern Frontier restricted zone. Got hit in the back, but kept going, it largely glanced off me.

(5) The biggest problem in Vietnam are the corrupt police who often, if they hear you are staying in a host family's house, will show up and force you to stay at some local hotel at a ridiculous price in exchange for a fat kickback.

These incidents happen because gutless state departments (the US, among others, but we are by far the worst) are too spineless to confront regional authorities about such behavior, viewing it as a "domestic" issue.

Don't forget the wealth your bicycle and equipment mean in many of the third world ratholes you ride through on
these tours. A $700 fuji is more than the annual wages for many youths (and not so young) in many of these regions.

I got by a couple ways.

(1) walk the bike through any trouble that you can't speed through. You can not defend yourself and it is dangerous to be surrounded when you have both feet off the ground!

(2) Keep some worthless coins like mexican pesos or Vietnamese dong to throw to the animals.

(3) I did not carry a "weapon" nor was I interested in confrontation (I was usually smiling and singing, deception is the best tactic) bit I did carry a "riding crop" that I used to fight off dogs and it scares people too.

(4) Snatch and grabbers will generally scoot away as soon as they "get" something, so I used to put a plastic bag full of worthless stuff loosely on across the top of my bungie cords in back, and they'd snag that. It happened a grand total of one time.

I have a (largely humorous but it is practical) about "cycling in dangerous places," on my world tour website, Roughstuffs' World Cycling Network.

Last edited by Roughstuff; 10-26-16 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-26-16, 10:00 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I've toured mostly in the US, and have never had stones or any other objects thrown at me. Once in a while someone yells, but I can rarely understand what they are attempting to communicate.
In DC I've been chased/threatened/punched by kids & in Northern Virginia have had a pebble & soda cup thrown at me. Morocco is a natural touring destination for Spanish/Euro bike tourers so it's unfortunate to read that there's some rock-throwing kids.
Old 10-27-16, 08:51 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
In DC I've been chased/threatened/punched by kids & in Northern Virginia have had a pebble & soda cup thrown at me. Morocco is a natural touring destination for Spanish/Euro bike tourers so it's unfortunate to read that there's some rock-throwing kids.

Ahhh...the irony. I was out one time in Montana in the steaming summer heat and someone threw a paper cup of ice water on me....ahhhhhhhh.

The road has always been a romantically dangerous place. There is only one best time and place for touring: HERE AND NOW!
Old 10-27-16, 12:32 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
I have also read about stone-throwing happening in certain parts of Ethiopia.
Old 10-27-16, 03:09 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Nobody ever throws double cheese burgers at me. :-(
Old 11-02-16, 03:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
When I was walking to the bus some kid threw a rock from his window but it has never happened cycling. Once I was going to the store to pick up some random items and some kids in a vehicle yelled "roadie" at me which was hilarious because I was wearing non-cycling clothing on my touring bike and wasn't even going very fast at all. I had a good laugh at that one.