Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for a somewhat inexpensive/vintage Rando bike

Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 06:31 PM
spinachface

Bikes: 1993 Bridgestone RB-1, Bianchi M.U.S.S, 1992 GT Bravado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been getting more and more into distance cycling, and while I haven't done a populaire or any type of brevet, I'm hoping to start soon.

I was doing these rides on a Surly Long Haul Trucker with a converted Low Trail fork. It was a great bike, but the weight was definitely a little much, and the touring geometry was not very conducive to a long day of spirited riding. I was lucky enough to trade the bike for a Rock Lobster (a trade I had to take!) but am now restarting on my hunt for a "road bike" (I wasn't do much touring).

Hoping to not buy anything to crazy as I haven't partook in a true event, but my hope is to find a relatively inexpensive 80s sport tourer with lighter tubing, clearance for a 32 or more, and fender eyelets and convert it to a 700c (if necessary) wheel. Any particular frames come to mind as far as lighter tubing and fender eyelets? Bridgesone RB-2, Bianchi Nuovo and Shoguns have been mentioned, but wanted to know if there's any other thoughts on the subject. Or, if a newer model bike comes to mind, let me know!
Old 03-19-17, 08:20 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,692 Times in 2,515 Posts
you might want to consider a 650b conversion. Although lots of old sports touring bikes were made for 27x1 1/4 tires, so 700x32mm will probably fit with fenders-. There are suitable Treks, '70s and early '80s are the best choice. A late '70s model 700 was a light sports touring bike. Also the 500, but you will probably want to upgrade components.
Old 03-19-17, 07:17 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
OP, have you had a look on eBay for old French Randonneur frames from the 70s and 80s? They are fairly cheap and the sellers often have NOS parts to go with them.

Check out maepomme
Old 03-19-17, 09:35 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
My advice: Go try some of the events with whatever bike you can round up first, before you start buying a bike just for the event.
Old 03-20-17, 02:30 PM
spinachface

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
you might want to consider a 650b conversion. Although lots of old sports touring bikes were made for 27x1 1/4 tires, so 700x32mm will probably fit with fenders-. There are suitable Treks, '70s and early '80s are the best choice. A late '70s model 700 was a light sports touring bike. Also the 500, but you will probably want to upgrade components.
While the 650b conversion crossed my mind, I'm hesitant to invest that heavily into a wheel size I've never ridden and is somewhat more difficult to find parts for. The trek is a great recommendation though, much appreciated!
Old 03-20-17, 02:32 PM
spinachface

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
My advice: Go try some of the events with whatever bike you can round up first, before you start buying a bike just for the event.
I agree entirely, but that's why I'd go this route. If I try some events and am not fond of it, the bike transitions into a winter/road bike as opposed to having to invest in a rando-specific bike. Basically, right now I'd be doing it on a drop bar 29er or a townie seeing as my touring bike was what got traded. I gotta get better legs before I do that! haha
Old 03-21-17, 04:13 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
The Miyata 610 is another classic bike you can look for.

Just a note on the subject of weights on a touring bike. I completed the entire Super Randonneur series plus the 2015 Paris-Brest-Paris on a steel touring bike with very similar specs to the Surly LHT. The additional 1-2 lb. of the frameset really becomes negligible in the longer brevets when you're carrying 3 bottles of water, food and personal gear -- just as if you were light touring. In fact, you might even be thankful to have a touring bike that's stable with the extra gear.
Old 04-02-17, 08:03 PM
83cannondale

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 83 Cannondale, 70s Raleigh International, 70s Bob Jackson, 70s Gitane tandem, 2018 Trek Domane SL7, Giant Yukon MTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cannondale st500?

I like the old 83 cannondale st500. Plenty of frame clearance for wide tires ( have to resize wheels from 27 to 700 ) fender and rack eyelets, rando bars and super half step with granny gearing. 48,46,30 in front and 13-30 6 speed in rear. Aluminium frame. I saw a nice 23" in Milwaukee craigslist for $400. Thought about buying myself but I already have one.