Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

A tribute to Mike Hall: Legend & leader

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-17, 02:45 PM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
A tribute to Mike Hall: Legend & leader

I wrote A tribute to Mike Hall on my Ride Far blog that I also want to share with this community:

Last week, we lost a friend, an inspiration, a legend and a leader. Mike Hall died in a collision with a car during the Indian Pacific Wheel Race near Canberra, Australia on 31st March, 2017. Mike was one of the best self-supported, ultra-distance cyclists in the world and inspired so many people due to his own abilities and the races he organized.

Of course, there is not only the cycling community that has lost someone truly special, Mike also has very loving family and friends that he has sadly left with a gap in their hearts. I cannot begin to understand how they are coping with their loss, and my sincerest condolences go out to them.

Race Results

Mike won every race that he entered between 2012 and 2016, including the World Cycle Race, Tour Divide (twice), and the Trans Am Bike Race, setting record-breaking times in each of them. See details on his Wikipedia page.

Mike entered the 2017 Indy Pac race across Australia along with the strongest field to ever compete in a bikepacking race. Some physical problems initially prevented Mike from closing the gap to the 1st-place rider, who was the 3-time TCR winner Kristof Allegaert. On the 12th day of the race, Mike caught and passed his adversary for a while, but he fell back to 2nd before tragedy struck about 400 km from the finish line.

No-one else has won races and set records in both on-road and off-road events like Mike Hall, and he’s also won the longest bike race on Earth. His racing achievements may never be matched.

Race Organization

After doing the World Cycle Race in 2012, Mike decided that this style of racing could become popular if it was designed to fit into people’s vacation time. The first leg of Mike’s global trip went from London to Istanbul and because he saw how impressive the cultural and geographic changes were in that relatively short distance, he decided to create a self-supported bike race across Europe between these iconic locations and visting a couple of significant places in bike racing history along the way. The Transcontinental Race (TCR) had been born.

His idea worked. After 30 people started the first edition in 2013, word spread and the 101 starting places for the second edition were filled within a week. For the third edition in 2015, 350 applications were received for the 250 starting places, and the number of applications went up to over 1000 by the next year. There have been numerous films and extensive media coverage of the race throughout Europe and around the world.

Influence

The TCR wasn’t the first-ever bikepacking race of this type of length or format. The Great Divide Race, a mountain bike race down the Rocky Mountains, was first held in 2004 and then superceded by the longer Tour Divide. However, the TCR went into new territory in terms of organization and trying to make a wider audience aware of the event.

People saw the level of interest in the TCR and decided to create similar races on roads all around the world. The Trans Am Bike Race in the USA started in 2014 (although that was also heavily influenced by the Tour Divide), the TransAfrika in South Africa started in 2015, the TransAtlanticWay race in Ireland started in 2016, and the Indian Pacific Wheel Race in Australia started in 2017. Other races that are planned but that haven’t yet begun include the 2017 North Cape 4000 from Italy to Norway and the 2018 Baa Baa Bikepack around the UK.

These races probably wouldn’t have been launched, or it would have taken much longer for that to happen, if Mike hadn’t lead the way by organizing the first TCR back in 2013, so no-one will ever come close to the level of influence that Mike has had on organizing this style of racing.

Mike Hall at the 2014 TCR finish party in Istanbul

Mike has not only influenced the people who’ve done these events, but also the many thousands more who have read about these people’s efforts and followed the races online. Reading the heart-felt dedications that have been posted about him in the past few days, there are so many examples of people who have been inspired to get out and ride a bike and push their limits a bit more. Many people have reported this leading to them having a more active, healthier lifestyle, and hopefully some of them now leave their cars at home on some days – making the roads safer and the planet healthier for everyone.

Personal Contact

Personally, before I watched the first edition of the TCR in 2013 and participated the next year, I was just someone who went bike touring and did some mountainous cyclosportives. I had no idea that I would become absolutely obsessed with this type of bike racing or that I would start an Unofficial TCR Advice website in late 2015 that would turn into the Ride Far website. None of this would have happened without Mike – he certainly changed my life. I’m pleased that the website is continuing to pass on his influence to encourage even more people to Ride Far.

When I asked Mike about starting a TCR advice website, his only reservation was that it would make doing the TCR too easy and so he might have to respond by increasing the difficulty or length of the route. He always wanted to encourage people to find their limits; he had equal respect for the people at the back of the field who are pushing themselves just as hard as the fast ones at the front.

During each TCR, Mike was always incredibly busy, but found time to talk to everyone that he could. An entertaining memory that I have of him was at the party after TCR 2014 when he showed me and a few others his method of screaming/roaring at dogs so that they back down instead of chasing him – it certainly terrified us. The proudest moment of my very limited ‘racing career’ was when I finished in the top 30 of the 2016 TCR in Çanakkale, Turkey and Mike came up to me and said “Strong ride, Chris” – that meant a massive amount coming from him. I had pushed myself as hard as I could, and Mike recognized that.

Conclusion

The topic of how the community, the Transcontinental Race, and bikepacking races in general will move forward following this tragedy is a massive one that I will leave for another day. For the moment, I simply want to remember Mike and be sure that everyone appreciates his incredible talent and his amazing influence on the world.

PS. There was another thread on this forum about Mike's death which was closed because the topic was already being discussed on the Indy-Pac thread. However, this is not about that race, or about Mike's death, it's about Mike's life, so I hope that the moderators leave it.
Old 04-04-17, 02:56 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
well done, R.I.P. Sir. gone too soon
Old 04-04-17, 03:17 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Nice thread. R.I.P. Mike Hall.
Old 04-05-17, 09:48 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Thank you for writing this great eulogy, Chris.
Old 04-06-17, 02:47 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I have a DVD he's in about the Trans Am race. The guy is a beast on the bike, but very grounded and down to earth.

RIP, Mike.
Old 04-06-17, 07:50 PM
BikeLite

I wish we could know a little more about how the accident happened. It was dark so most likely he was hit from behind. The race director acted like he could not elaborate on youtube. Pardon me if this is not appropriate in this thread.
Old 04-07-17, 05:10 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
I wish we could know a little more about how the accident happened. It was dark so most likely he was hit from behind. The race director acted like he could not elaborate on youtube. Pardon me if this is not appropriate in this thread.
Not to derail the thread, but I also have a DVD on the 2007 RAAM race. There was a veteran rider who fell asleep during the day and drifted into the oncoming lane and was hit. Last name of Breedlove, IRRC.

As a hardcore commuter, this stuff strikes home.
Old 04-07-17, 05:56 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
No one knows what happened and no one can elaborate because it is under investigation at the moment.

From what I understand, the only people on the scene of the accident were the driver and Mike. The driver was hospitalised with shock ... and sadly, we know about Mike.

So, quite rightly, the race director cannot comment. He wasn't there. And it's all up to the investigators now.

As for darkness. From what I can tell, the sky would have been lightening just slightly. Sunrise was due in about half an hour. But then again, I wasn't there, so who knows.

Last edited by Machka; 04-07-17 at 06:03 AM.
Old 04-07-17, 07:39 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,690 Times in 2,513 Posts
We may never find out. He was complaining about sleepiness earlier, and that is the time of day I have the most trouble staying awake.
Old 04-12-17, 08:18 PM
BikeLite

https://www.outsideonline.com/217357...world-cyclists

This article brings up being hit from behind.
Old 04-12-17, 08:30 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

https://www.outsideonline.com/217357...world-cyclists

This article brings up being hit from behind.
That was your take-away from that article? Seriously? Try reading it again as the tribute article it was meant to be.
Old 04-13-17, 06:56 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
That was your take-away from that article? Seriously? Try reading it again as the tribute article it was meant to be.

Umm, I don't think BikeLite was trying to do a summary of the article. He was responding to the last two posts from you and Unter commenting on not knowing the causes or nature of the accident.

Why attack someone so rudely like that?
Old 04-14-17, 01:08 PM
wheelsmcgee

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
I have a DVD he's in about the Trans Am race. The guy is a beast on the bike, but very grounded and down to earth.

RIP, Mike.
The documentary was "Inspired to Ride" and is a great one. Mike comes off as being as great of a person as he is a rider (can't say the same for all world class athletes, even some others in the documentary). No doubt he was a great ambassador for the sport. RIP, Mike.
Old 04-14-17, 01:34 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
The documentary was "Inspired to Ride" and is a great one.

That would be it! I was too lazy to dig through my crate of cycling/running doc's.
Old 04-14-17, 02:41 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Steamer
Umm, I don't think BikeLite was trying to do a summary of the article. He was responding to the last two posts from you and Unter commenting on not knowing the causes or nature of the accident.

Why attack someone so rudely like that?

I don't think that the nature or cause of the accident is the part to focus on in a tribute thread. It is still under investigation and speculations aren't appropriate.

Last edited by Machka; 04-14-17 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-14-17, 02:50 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Chris_W
I wrote A tribute to Mike Hall on my Ride Far blog that I also want to share with this community:

Last week, we lost a friend, an inspiration, a legend and a leader. Mike Hall died in a collision with a car during the Indian Pacific Wheel Race near Canberra, Australia on 31st March, 2017. Mike was one of the best self-supported, ultra-distance cyclists in the world and inspired so many people due to his own abilities and the races he organized.

Of course, there is not only the cycling community that has lost someone truly special, Mike also has very loving family and friends that he has sadly left with a gap in their hearts. I cannot begin to understand how they are coping with their loss, and my sincerest condolences go out to them.

Race Results

Mike won every race that he entered between 2012 and 2016, including the World Cycle Race, Tour Divide (twice), and the Trans Am Bike Race, setting record-breaking times in each of them. See details on his Wikipedia page.

Mike entered the 2017 Indy Pac race across Australia along with the strongest field to ever compete in a bikepacking race. Some physical problems initially prevented Mike from closing the gap to the 1st-place rider, who was the 3-time TCR winner Kristof Allegaert. On the 12th day of the race, Mike caught and passed his adversary for a while, but he fell back to 2nd before tragedy struck about 400 km from the finish line.

No-one else has won races and set records in both on-road and off-road events like Mike Hall, and he’s also won the longest bike race on Earth. His racing achievements may never be matched.

Race Organization

After doing the World Cycle Race in 2012, Mike decided that this style of racing could become popular if it was designed to fit into people’s vacation time. The first leg of Mike’s global trip went from London to Istanbul and because he saw how impressive the cultural and geographic changes were in that relatively short distance, he decided to create a self-supported bike race across Europe between these iconic locations and visting a couple of significant places in bike racing history along the way. The Transcontinental Race (TCR) had been born.

His idea worked. After 30 people started the first edition in 2013, word spread and the 101 starting places for the second edition were filled within a week. For the third edition in 2015, 350 applications were received for the 250 starting places, and the number of applications went up to over 1000 by the next year. There have been numerous films and extensive media coverage of the race throughout Europe and around the world.

Influence

The TCR wasn’t the first-ever bikepacking race of this type of length or format. The Great Divide Race, a mountain bike race down the Rocky Mountains, was first held in 2004 and then superceded by the longer Tour Divide. However, the TCR went into new territory in terms of organization and trying to make a wider audience aware of the event.

People saw the level of interest in the TCR and decided to create similar races on roads all around the world. The Trans Am Bike Race in the USA started in 2014 (although that was also heavily influenced by the Tour Divide), the TransAfrika in South Africa started in 2015, the TransAtlanticWay race in Ireland started in 2016, and the Indian Pacific Wheel Race in Australia started in 2017. Other races that are planned but that haven’t yet begun include the 2017 North Cape 4000 from Italy to Norway and the 2018 Baa Baa Bikepack around the UK.

These races probably wouldn’t have been launched, or it would have taken much longer for that to happen, if Mike hadn’t lead the way by organizing the first TCR back in 2013, so no-one will ever come close to the level of influence that Mike has had on organizing this style of racing.

Mike Hall at the 2014 TCR finish party in Istanbul

Mike has not only influenced the people who’ve done these events, but also the many thousands more who have read about these people’s efforts and followed the races online. Reading the heart-felt dedications that have been posted about him in the past few days, there are so many examples of people who have been inspired to get out and ride a bike and push their limits a bit more. Many people have reported this leading to them having a more active, healthier lifestyle, and hopefully some of them now leave their cars at home on some days – making the roads safer and the planet healthier for everyone.

Personal Contact

Personally, before I watched the first edition of the TCR in 2013 and participated the next year, I was just someone who went bike touring and did some mountainous cyclosportives. I had no idea that I would become absolutely obsessed with this type of bike racing or that I would start an Unofficial TCR Advice website in late 2015 that would turn into the Ride Far website. None of this would have happened without Mike – he certainly changed my life. I’m pleased that the website is continuing to pass on his influence to encourage even more people to Ride Far.

When I asked Mike about starting a TCR advice website, his only reservation was that it would make doing the TCR too easy and so he might have to respond by increasing the difficulty or length of the route. He always wanted to encourage people to find their limits; he had equal respect for the people at the back of the field who are pushing themselves just as hard as the fast ones at the front.

During each TCR, Mike was always incredibly busy, but found time to talk to everyone that he could. An entertaining memory that I have of him was at the party after TCR 2014 when he showed me and a few others his method of screaming/roaring at dogs so that they back down instead of chasing him – it certainly terrified us. The proudest moment of my very limited ‘racing career’ was when I finished in the top 30 of the 2016 TCR in Çanakkale, Turkey and Mike came up to me and said “Strong ride, Chris” – that meant a massive amount coming from him. I had pushed myself as hard as I could, and Mike recognized that.

Conclusion

The topic of how the community, the Transcontinental Race, and bikepacking races in general will move forward following this tragedy is a massive one that I will leave for another day. For the moment, I simply want to remember Mike and be sure that everyone appreciates his incredible talent and his amazing influence on the world.

PS. There was another thread on this forum about Mike's death which was closed because the topic was already being discussed on the Indy-Pac thread. However, this is not about that race, or about Mike's death, it's about Mike's life, so I hope that the moderators leave it.

Thank you for this.