Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Asking to join a ride in progress?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-13-19, 05:51 PM
Synack42

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts

This might be an odd question, but would it be rude to ask to join a smaller group ride while they are already moving?

I'm more of a "lone wolf" cyclist, but I ride 15 miles daily and can do so in an hour, maybe even a couple minutes under. I've occasionally passed a group of riders going the opposite direction. They are definitely coordinated, wearing proper kit and all on road bikes. (I'm usually riding an older MTB with pavement friendly tread and t-shirt with skateboarder shorts and shoes... (I have finally gotten into the habit of always wearing gloves and helmet...))

Just wondering if shouting "Mind if I follow at a distance?" would be against road etiquette I guess... Would you find that rude or strange? I have a grasp of group hand signals and I wouldn't be doing it for drafting purposes -- Mainly just curious if I could keep up and hang with them.

...That and it would be really neat to find a local group to actually ride with.
Old 08-13-19, 05:57 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Synack42
This might be an odd question, but would it be rude to ask to join a smaller group ride while they are already moving?

I'm more of a "lone wolf" cyclist, but I ride 15 miles daily and can do so in an hour, maybe even a couple minutes under. I've occasionally passed a group of riders going the opposite direction. They are definitely coordinated, wearing proper kit and all on road bikes. (I'm usually riding an older MTB with pavement friendly tread and t-shirt with skateboarder shorts and shoes... (I have finally gotten into the habit of always wearing gloves and helmet...))

Just wondering if shouting "Mind if I follow at a distance?" would be against road etiquette I guess... Would you find that rude or strange? I have a grasp of group hand signals and I wouldn't be doing it for drafting purposes -- Mainly just curious if I could keep up and hang with them.

...That and it would be really neat to find a local group to actually ride with.
What exactly do you mean by coordinated? Are they all wearing the same kit? If so, that's probably a team/club ride and it would be weird and awkward for all involved if you just asked to hop on. On the other hand, if they're all wearing different kit, it might be a loosely organized ride and they might be fine with riders just joining in.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-13-19, 06:00 PM
Synack42

Originally Posted by caloso
What exactly do you mean by coordinated? Are they all wearing the same kit? If so, that's probably a team/club ride and it would be weird and awkward for all involved if you just asked to hop on. On the other hand, if they're all wearing different kit, it might be a loosely organized ride and they might be fine with riders just joining in.
Different jerseys. Though I don't want to mess with them if they are a team and training either.
Old 08-13-19, 06:04 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Different jerseys. Though I don't want to mess with them if they are a team and training either.
Have we really become so sensitive as a society that merely asking to join in can be taken as some gross interference?
Likes For asgelle:
Old 08-13-19, 06:04 PM
Synack42

...I do have a couple of blacked out jerseys myself. Maybe I should start wearing them more often to blend in -- my flats would probably give me away though.
Old 08-13-19, 06:21 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Could always reverse direction well before they reach you and as they pass just ask if you could hang off the back. Would not be problem around here.

................. -- my flats would probably give me away though.
I ride my 1983 Paramount and 2018 Roubaix Expert wearing Nashbar cleated Sandals with top of calf height multi colored striped socks or face socks.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 08-13-19, 06:28 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Well, on no drop rides someone acts as a sweeper and if you join it means someone is going to feel obligated to go back to check on you as well. Additionally, my groups have certain safety expectations / conduct, who knows what you know and don't know about group rides.

Those hesitations aside, there is no harm in asking.
Old 08-13-19, 06:30 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
I join groups all the time. The most enjoyable one was a group of Christian riders from a church about 20 miles away. Really nice, great conversation, and they were going my speed and ended up at a donut shop. How much better than that does it get?
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 08-13-19, 06:30 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Just ask "do you mind if I join?".

I'm a solo rider and if I find a group going my pace (or a bit faster) and in my direction., i ask and have never been told no. Depending on how long i'm with them, i'll work my way forward and do a pull. When they go a different way I always say "dropping off" and a rally loud THANKS.

There's a difference between joning in and being a wheel sucker.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-13-19, 06:36 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
To the OP: please read the "We are Going to Yell at You" thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...-yell-you.html

Sorry in advance. I could not resist.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 08-13-19, 06:57 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Then no harm in asking.
Old 08-13-19, 07:07 PM
anon06

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
For a few times, when a group of kitted-out, older cyclists on road bikes would, occasionally, pass through my old neighborhood (it looked to me that they were practicing racing each other, very largely spaced out, with large distances between them; sometimes, two or three cyclists would be together and then there would be cyclists who were a quarter of a mile away), I used it as an opportunity to cycle on the busy, main road, rather than slowly on the sidewalk (because drivers were aware of all of the cyclists and giving them enough space by moving over into the left lane and leaving the right for the cyclists.

I didn't follow them for long, just for a short stretch of road, before going back on the sidewalk (because there was a large gap between the cyclists and drivers were moving over into the right lane); I was travelling in the same direction, was curious as to whether or not I could keep up with them, and I wanted to arrive more quickly at my destination.

I didn't bother asking them whether I could cycle on the road, in between their very large gaps; just attempting to say, "Hello" and lift and hand in greeting got me no reply. Cyclists who cycle alone, here, are the ones who usually say "Hello" to me.

So, I understand why some cyclists who cycle alone are a bit wary and unsure of whether or not group cyclists might be friendly toward newcomers, as, in certain areas, it seems some choose to be more cliquey and focused on their own racing.

Last edited by anon06; 08-13-19 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-14-19, 05:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I don't think what you are describing is "joining" their group, you aren't riding close enough in for there to need to be any coordination. If you were going to ride close enough to draft, you would need permission, but following them at a distance is something you're free to do. It's normal for someone to be behind them and won't affect their ride in any way. Asking them is probably just going to confuse the issue because now they have to figure out if they have to worry about dropping you.

Humblebrag apologies, but I've had the opposite problem on some long rides. I ride pretty fast, and occasionally a group will pass me barely by pushing themselves really hard, and then the pass peters out because they run out of gas. Now I'm in the middle of the group, or the group is just ahead of me, but slowed down less than my cruising speed. I am not going to fall back in that situation because I don't want to lose my pace, and I figure if they didn't want me to draft, they shouldn't have passed me like that. Usually after about a half mile to a mile of drafting, I can shoot past them, and they're pretty spent.

If they're a good, coordinated group, btw, they'll probably lose you well before they know you're there. If not, following them as a speed test violates no etiquette rules I know of. Wheel sucking is an entirely different matter, however.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-14-19, 05:26 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
FWIW, JMHO, and all that, I'm thinking these guys are for sure riding much farther than the OP is used to, and very likely going faster, plus, they're riding road bikes versus his (heavier, slower) mountain bike. He's kinda gonna be the odd man out, on several fronts, so what's really the upside here?
If the OP tucks into this group, he's likely to be busting his hump just keeping up, and not likely to ride but a few minutes with them, and I don't think he's mentioned if he has any experience drafting and riding in a cohesive group.(yes, I know, you gotta start somewhere, but on a mtn bike dressed like a skateboarder may not be ideal).
That being said, if it's just a group of recreational riders, not an organized team out training, then I wouldn't call it a faux pas for the OP to just tuck in behind them and ride a ways, without actually getting permission. If they're like most group riders, they meet someplace, and whoever shows up, shows up, and they hit the road. It's not uncommon for regular riders on these things, to intercept the group at some point it's convenient for them, and then peel out of formation, the same way. Most of the Sunday club rides I used to do, I'd catch them 6 miles into the ride, and 70-90 miles later, would leave the group at the same point.
So unless these riders are particularly cliquish (which, unfortunately, a lot of "serious" cyclists do seem to be) it shouldn't be a problem for the OP to just tag along, assuming he observes proper group-ride etiquette. Besides, if they don't like you, they'll just drop you like a bad habit !
Old 08-14-19, 06:37 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The correct way to ask is, “Mind if I sit in?”

I would mot be offended at all.

Just hold your line and do a little work, that’s all.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-14-19, 06:50 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
^^^ This ^^^
Old 08-14-19, 06:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

OP's question was should he ask "Mind if I follow at a distance?" Am I alone in thinking that's just going to create confusion as to whether he is or isn't joining the group? If all he's doing is following at a distance, chances are pretty good the group isn't even going to know he's there or, if they do, they would probably just assume he just happens to be going the same direction. Either way, it won't affect their ride in any way. If he wants to ride close with them he should ask, but otherwise, why would he need or want their permission?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-14-19, 06:55 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Have we really become so sensitive as a society that merely asking to join in can be taken as some gross interference?
And, if you're following "at a distance" aren't you just using the road? Who has the right to tell you you can't use a public road?
Likes For bruce19:
Old 08-14-19, 06:58 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
???

Have we really become so entitled as a society that we aren't able to refrain from always trying to get our way?

I suspect Synack42 was expressing what he chooses to do personally in a limited case (sounds like he's trying to be courteous). Not being a representative of "society".

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-14-19 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-14-19, 07:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

If they're wearing matching jerseys and riding their road bikes in a coordinated manner that would indicate that they were training, I would think that asking if they mind if I ride with them on my mountain bike would be a rather silly question. Of course they'll mind. It would be like trying to hop into the boat of a crew team.

That said, if he's just following them at a distance, there's no real reason to ask.
Old 08-14-19, 07:08 AM
njkayaker

If they are focused on riding, being asked might be a distraction.

Just wondering if shouting "Mind if I follow at a distance?" ...
This isn't really 'joining".
​​​​​

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-14-19 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-14-19, 07:11 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Group rides are hit or miss.
Some don't mind people tagging along while others are of the "We'll yell at you" variety.
Some groups welcome other riders while some do their own things.
It never hurts to ask.

I avoid group rides though as there is too much drama.The only group rides I do is with my wife on our tandem.
Old 08-14-19, 07:11 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Have we really become so entitled as a society that we aren't able to refrain from always trying to get our way?
Interesting that you would consider a polite request, "Mind if I sit in?," as always trying to get your way.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 08-14-19, 07:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If they're wearing matching jerseys and riding their road bikes in a coordinated manner that would indicate that they were training, I would think that asking if they mind if I ride with them on my mountain bike would be a rather silly question. Of course they'll mind. It would be like trying to hop into the boat of a crew team.

That said, if he's just following them at a distance, there's no real reason to ask.
Back in the late 80s a rag tag bunch of we locals rode behind 7-11, and later Coor's Lite, the day before the U.S. Pro Cycling Championship. What a thrill. We kept our mouths shut and kept at a safe enough distance. The teams were in a group and we were stretched out in a long line behind them desperately trying to keep up as they rode effortlessly while chatting.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-14-19, 07:23 AM
njkayaker

Interesting that you would consider a polite request, "Mind if I sit in?," as always trying to get your way.
It's "interesting" that you missed the point. Did you read the rest of the post?

Interrupting a group that is focused on riding might not actually be "polite".

There are many occasions where it's fine to ask and there are others where it would be kind of clueless.

If he chooses to not to want to interrupt such a group, that's being courteous.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-14-19 at 07:31 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.