Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Help me shop for a used all-mountain hard-tail

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 10-26-16, 06:04 PM
CabezaShok

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Please help me out, i'm searching for a used/older hard-tail that maybe doesn't do anything particularly awesome but hold together well....and maybe it manuals easier too, because its got shorter chain-stays? Im trying to progress beyond my old XC rig with 80mm travel fork that i need to retire to commuting service before it breaks and injures me while trying to keep up with my trail buddies
all corrections/critiques welcome!

Anyone know a decent old AM HT model?
so far i got:

Cheap (?)
iron horse Yakuza Chimpira,
haro escape
DMR TrailStar LT
04' jamis komodo
08 Carrera fury
Sette Shadow
santa cruz chameleon
any vintage One-One Inbreds
Mongoose/GT (?)
Spec. Rockhopper 04'-08

Not so cheap:

Chromag stylus
kona honzo
transition transam
on one 456 26"
Giant Reign/Trance
stumpjumper FSR
Banshee Viento
NS core 08'
surly instagator
intense tracer 2 (FS?)
mountain cycle rumble
norco torent
Giant STP (freeride)
Old 10-27-16, 12:39 PM
monsterkidz
monster

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's your budget? Lot's of good hardtails. Kona Explosif, Raleigh Tokul
Old 10-27-16, 12:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Seems like with used bikes, itd be easier to search for size within what is available and then determine if the specific bikes meet your needs/wants.

Having a list of 25 bikes is fine and all, but if the odds arent good that you find one in your size, you are missing out on a huge pool of bikes that otherwise would fit and meet your needs/wants.
Old 10-27-16, 02:07 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
It's great to be able to list a load of bike, the question is, are any of them actually available?

One thing that is confusing about your list, is your location, you have listed bike (the Carrera & Sette) which are only available in specific markets, not together (the UK & US)
Old 10-27-16, 05:40 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '06 Specialized Epic Marathon MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
What size frame are you looking for? Depending on your budget, you might be better off on a full suspension bike that handles like a hardtail on small bumps and like a full suspension on a the bigger bumps and jumps. For instance, a Specialized Epic does this very well. You can get a 26"-wheeled one for less than a $1,000 bucks.
Old 10-27-16, 06:43 PM
CabezaShok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
budget is $500-800. i didnt mention i need 26"er for reasons i wont get into here and there arent any manufacturers making an entry level 26" AM hard tail anymore except maybe Walmart:
i usually ride most common size IMHO (size medium) so i should be able to find a used frame in my area or ebay pretty easy. Also im not loyal to any brand, so i have options. i rebuild/repair/restore bikes for a hobby and keep my eye on craigslist, keeping a list is part of that hobby/fun .thanks for the suggestions. there is a new category that sort of fits my needs which is the "26+" or "26 plus" which is frame that can fit 2.7" and bigger 26" wheels, but i havent tested one, might ride like a slug unless lightweight rims + tubless? the new Giant Kimodo Sport 26+ looks sweet but still $1100 is over my budget
Old 10-27-16, 07:05 PM
CabezaShok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
What size frame are you looking for? Depending on your budget, you might be better off on a full suspension bike that handles like a hardtail on small bumps and like a full suspension on a the bigger bumps and jumps. For instance, a Specialized Epic does this very well. You can get a 26"-wheeled one for less than a $1,000 bucks.

Maybe after i develop my pump, manual and huck skills further, ill get a full suspension...but i think a FS that rides like you say and do all i say will cost $2K plus
Old 10-28-16, 06:07 AM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '06 Specialized Epic Marathon MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CabezaShok
Maybe after i develop my pump, manual and huck skills further, ill get a full suspension...but i think a FS that rides like you say and do all i say will cost $2K plus
Definitely meant a Specialized Epic full suspension bike found on the used market (e.g., craigslist, MTBR classifieds or Pinkbike). You should definitely be able to find one in very good condition within your budget.

As far as 26+ bikes, they seem like a great idea for a hardtail, but so far the lack of tires has been a major hindrance to its growth. Surly started the trend with the Instigator a few years ago. A few other manufacturers have joined the 26+ trend. Some like Jamis have launched both 26+ and 27.5+ versions. My understanding is that the 26+ versions by Jamis are marketed to women.

The race is now on with three new plus wheel sizes: 26+, 27.5+ (AKA 650b+) and 29+. Out of all three, I would bet all my money that 27.5+ is going to win this race. Not only does it make sense marketing-wise as anything "27.5" is the new kid on the block, but it is a good convergence point (or compromise) for those who never got on the 29er bandwagon (AKA "29er haters" -- very strong sentiments especially in Europe). It also plays well with the idea that a 27.5+ tire comes really close in size to a regular 29er but with more air volume, so riders are less prone to encounter geometry problems like toe overlap common in some smaller 29ers. In other words, you can also get 29er fans easily onboard. More tire manufacturers seem to be focusing on developing 27.5+ tires than any other of the other two plus sizes out there. If you want to make sure where this is headed, I suggest waiting another couple of years.

26ers are wrongly considered among those who started mountain biking in the last 5-8 years so yesterday, but it's a wheel size that I personally enjoy a lot on a full suspension bike with the right tires. Tons of great tires still available anywhere online. If you can find a good 26-wheeled full suspension bike like the one I mentioned, definitely go for it! It's the kind of bike that builds your confidence on the trail given its efficiency and compliant nature.
Old 10-29-16, 12:12 PM
CabezaShok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yo Chris P, a FS AM MTB is definitely on my longterm list, i will keep my eye out for an Epic, but for now i want an AM hard tail...Soooo, im shopping for a tough as nails AM hardtail with 16.25" or under chainstays ...currently looking at: GT Chucker, older Giant kimodo, or an NS Cash 26"
anyone test one of these?
Old 10-29-16, 05:09 PM
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Seems like with used bikes, itd be easier to search for size within what is available and then determine if the specific bikes meet your needs/wants.

Having a list of 25 bikes is fine and all, but if the odds arent good that you find one in your size, you are missing out on a huge pool of bikes that otherwise would fit and meet your needs/wants.

this^^^^^^^^^^^

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg
Old 10-29-16, 07:44 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
What you want is a dirt jump bike. Plenty of 26in versions and will have good geometry for all mountain riding.
Old 10-30-16, 03:50 PM
CabezaShok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
What you want is a dirt jump bike. Plenty of 26in versions and will have good geometry for all mountain riding.
I would, but the top-tubes are usually too low and so id have to use a really long seat-post for cruising. Ive seen some with seat tube extended above top tube with a gusset tube supporting it, which might be better...but cant remember where. Plus, I might want to try a dropper post sometime, and i don't think its good have too low TT with those...again im looking for an all-arounder AM HT 26'er.... searching for the 'holy grail'