Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

***HELP—Gravel Newbie Need Input on High End Gravel Bike Setup***

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 08-04-18, 01:59 AM
Yugga

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I truly need your input on how you would set up the ideal gravel bike.

Background:
-50 yr old with some riding experience on my VaNoots SL. Wanting to build a bike for life that can do it all.
-Terrain: lives in New Orleans so there’s not much elevation change but travels to CO couple times year. Wanting a set up that can do everything.
-Frame: Moots Routt 45
Sure there are other great options but I love Moots. Always
have

Rather than just having a bike shop build it up to their specs I’d appreciate your opinion on a lifetime set up—components, drive train, wheels (<—FYI I’m a bigger guy 6’3 245lbs, old college athlete). I’m doing my research but really appreciate your input. Kids leaving for college, I’m excited to get back on the bike so cost isn’t an issue.
Old 08-04-18, 10:34 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Based on age, weight, and being out of riding, a 46/30 crankset could be great for you. Mated to an 11speed 11/36 cassette, it would provide a ton of gear range allowing you to ride plenty fast and still climb when needed.
examples are-
White Industries R30/G30
Sugino OX901D Compact Plus+
FSA Energy Modular BB386EVO
IRD Lobo "Adventure"

45mm tires fit, so anything 40-45mm would be great. In NO it will help with comfort on the insane side roads(wife went to college there, its like bombed out Mogadishu on some roads!) and that width will work well on most gravel roads and dry dirt paths.

since its moors and you say high end, I guess Ultegra di2 with hydraulic brakes would be on point. I have yet to feel an urge to use hydraulic or electronic shifting, but I don't think I know of or read about someone who doesn't like both.
For example- https://www.coloradocyclist.com/shim...hydraulic-grou

nice looking frame!

Last edited by mstateglfr; 08-04-18 at 10:43 AM.