Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Aero bikes for “average” rider - any real advantage?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-18, 04:03 PM
johngwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I’m noticing a lot of articles & videos on aero road bikes these day, and am wondering if this is mostly marketing hype, or if there is really something in it for the average non-competitive cyclist. Is there any significant advantage for a rider who is averaging about 200-250W, at <30km/h?

The bikes look sexy, but are they sacrificing more impotant qualities such as control or comfort? If the bike is merely faster but less fun to ride, then this probably isn’t a good deal unless you are racing.

They also seem to be very expensive, which may be partially to recoup R&D costs, but maybe also to get the maximum benefit of marketing a “new” bike category for leisure cyclists.

Will “aero” design features become the norm in all road bikes in the future, so that prices come down to the levels of current general purpose road bikes?

Interested in hearing people’s experience with these bikes!

Old 08-12-18, 04:21 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by johngwheeler
Interested in hearing people’s experience with these bikes!
I'm not sure how you can compare a purely objective measure such as reduced CdA with a subjective measures such as comfort or fun. Not to mention a bike that is twitchy and impossible to control for one rider can be responsive and a dream to ride for another.

It sounds like you're coming to this with your mind made up and are just looking for confirmation.
Old 08-12-18, 04:36 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
No.
Old 08-12-18, 04:50 PM
johngwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
I'm not sure how you can compare a purely objective measure such as reduced CdA with a subjective measures such as comfort or fun. Not to mention a bike that is twitchy and impossible to control for one rider can be responsive and a dream to ride for another.

It sounds like you're coming to this with your mind made up and are just looking for confirmation.
No, my mind isn’t made up, but I do understand the points you’ve mentioned concerning subjective feel.

What I’m interested in, is hearing personal experiences of people from moving from an “normal” road bike (with typical geometry or maybe endurance bikes) to an aero-bike. Was the speed increase / reduction in effort obvious, or subtle? Did they feel that bike was less compliant or harsher to ride. These are mostly subjective, I understand, but it would help build a consensus.

Old 08-12-18, 04:58 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
My DB is "wind tunnel tested". Very sweet frame, but realistically I'm about as fast on my 34 year old steel bike with downtube friction shifters and a 6 speed freewheel.
Old 08-12-18, 05:07 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
johngwheeler-

No expert on the subject here. ..and I don't own an aero bike.

That said, you'll find general agreement that
most aero gains can be had from improvements to your position on the bike.

Your body's profile will always create a larger "wind shadow" than your bicycle's frame and fittings.
Old 08-12-18, 05:09 PM
asgelle

Originally Posted by chainwhip
That said, you'll find general agreement that
most aero gains can be had from improvements to your position on the bike.
But that's hardly relevant to the discussion here. No matter how perfect your aero position is; in the end, if you're going to ride a bike, you need a bike to ride.
Old 08-12-18, 05:16 PM
chainwhip

But that's hardly relevant to the discussion here. No matter how perfect your aero position is; in the end, if you're going to ride a bike, you need a bike to ride.
​​​​​​​asgelle-
This *is* BF, so I guess random, contentious comments that don't add much to the conversation are pretty standard.
Old 08-12-18, 05:30 PM
Lazyass

I recall reading that bikes are tested at speeds of 30-40 mph, slower than that probably doesn't make much of a difference. If you live in the mountains and do a lot of high speed descents or you're in the pro peloton pushing an inhumanly fast pace I'm sure it would be a more noticeable advantage. I will say strong headwinds feel slightly less painful but that could be in my head.
Old 08-12-18, 05:34 PM
asgelle

Originally Posted by Lazyass
I recall reading that bikes are tested at speeds of 30-40 mph, slower than that probably doesn't make much of a difference.
Bikes are often, but not always, tested at 30 mph.; but that's to get good quality data, not because it's a magic speed where differences appear. Since drag scales with speed, it doesn't matter at what speed the tests are done. The results are easily interpreted for any speed desired.
Old 08-12-18, 05:38 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Okay, I will take a shot.

From what I hear ... most aero frames tend to be Very stiff. They are designed to have a low cross-section, not to be strong and compliant to absorb bumps and rattles.

Second, from what i hear, as aero resistance increase as the square of the speed or some such, it ramps up quickly at high speeds ... and is not that big a deal unless you are cruising at about a steady 18 mph. The way i understand it is a few percent less drag at 15 mph is almost impossible to measure ... adn 17, impossible to notice ... at 18 mph, measurable, and by 20 mph fighting the wind is all that matters. The increase in power needed to get from 15 to 16 is not enormous, while the increase needed to go from 20-23 is almost a two-thirds increase or some such. i could look all this up .... so could you. I tend to ignore the numbers after I have read them and retain the conclusion---which in this case was that until I was steadily cruising at over 18 mph, minor aero improvement were pointless.

Finally, as @chainwhip notes---if you want to be more aero, ride more aero. An expensive aero frame might get you a few percent savings, but it's not like most bicycles have huge frontal area .... and the fat parts, like the head tube, are pretty much fixed. Tube shape can gain ridiculously tiny improvements ... and putting a bottle in the rack can waste them all.

The real are to impact aero is rider position ... where everything else (except a disc wheel, because of turbulence form spokes) will provide the very smallest improvement, getting your head down with elbows in saves a World Tour rider 10-15 watts. of course, not everyone can efficiently deliver power in that position, and pretty much no one can hold it for more than some minutes ... and it is useless for climbing. But while you are in that ducked down, laid out, tucked in position, you are cutting a lot of frontal area.

if you have wrung every watt of power out of your body and still need more speed, duck your head and pull your elbows in.

But for the "average non-competitive cyclist"? Buy a bike that looks good. The eighteenth of a watt your non-compliant down tube saves you will be lost to the fatigue caused by the extra vibration.

But you are not average---really, no one is. So ask yourself----are you always either in the drops on on the hoods with your arms and back parallel to the ground and your head all the way down so it is entirely masked by the wind-shadow of your body? if that is how you ride, you might gain a tiny but likely unnoticeable improvement by buying an aero frame. if you tend to ride on the hoods with your body at any other angle than parallel to the ground ... keep smiling and riding and forget that stuff.
Old 08-12-18, 05:43 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
The slower you are, the more absolute time you'll save by being more aero.

So yeah, there's an advantage.

Whether that advantage is significant to you, or worth the money...that's another question.
Old 08-12-18, 05:46 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
or comfort?
Many people complained about early aero bikes, because the aero tube shaping made the paths from the wheel axles to the contact points very vertically stiff. That's why a lot of the current stuff has a lot of design choices to increase compliance, like short seat tubes or suspension mechanisms like IsoSpeed.

Is there any significant advantage
What's "significant" to you?

Obviously it depends on the particular setups being compared, but from what I've seen, current aero frame versus non-aero frame would be on the rough scale of a couple watts at the speeds we're talking about.
Old 08-12-18, 05:46 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
So ask yourself----are you always either in the drops on on the hoods with your arms and back parallel to the ground and your head all the way down so it is entirely masked by the wind-shadow of your body? if that is how you ride, you might gain a tiny but likely unnoticeable improvement by buying an aero frame. if you tend to ride on the hoods with your body at any other angle than parallel to the ground ... keep smiling and riding and forget that stuff.
You realize that in both those situations, an aero bike will be faster?

Why does this stuff always turn into an either/or situation?

It never needs to be.
Old 08-12-18, 05:47 PM
asgelle

... but it's not like most bicycles have huge frontal area ....
I don't think you appreciate all the factors that determine fluid drag. There's much more to it than frontal area.
The eighteenth of a watt your non-compliant down tube saves you will be lost to the fatigue caused by the extra vibration..
You're off by about two orders of magnitude.
if that is how you ride, you might gain a tiny but likely unnoticeable improvement by buying an aero frame. if you tend to ride on the hoods with your body at any other angle than parallel to the ground ... keep smiling and riding and forget that stuff.
Don't you realize that the benefit from aero equipment on the bike is the same regardless of rider position?
Old 08-12-18, 05:56 PM
Lazyass

Bikes are often, but not always, tested at 30 mph.; but that's to get good quality data, not because it's a magic speed where differences appear. Since drag scales with speed, it doesn't matter at what speed the tests are done. The results are easily interpreted for any speed desired.
Wind drag increases with speed.
Old 08-12-18, 05:57 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I always thought that aero frames tended to have greater cross section, but the shape with a lower coefficient of drag more than makes up for the greater area. That's why they're more rigid, in the same way that wider tubes with thinner walls are more rigid.

Yes of course there is a real advantage for the "average rider", if by that we really mean "lower speeds". The effects of drag don't just cut off at some particular speed.
Old 08-12-18, 05:57 PM
chainwhip

Don't you realize that the benefit from aero equipment on the bike is the same regardless of rider position?
You might consider that while that's arguably factual, except as a style issue, it simply doesn't matter for 85%+ of the demographic of road riders.
Old 08-12-18, 05:58 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

No, my mind isn’t made up, but I do understand the points you’ve mentioned concerning subjective feel.

What I’m interested in, is hearing personal experiences of people from moving from an “normal” road bike (with typical geometry or maybe endurance bikes) to an aero-bike. Was the speed increase / reduction in effort obvious, or subtle? Did they feel that bike was less compliant or harsher to ride. These are mostly subjective, I understand, but it would help build a consensus.

The first couple of carbon bikes I had (including my first bike as an adult) were both aero frames. Although for a while now I have had a non-aero bike I take on long rides, it's steel, so that's what I chalked up most of the difference to, in terms of ride feel. As you might imagine, it was only at high speeds when all the aero advantages were appreciated. Generally, however, I didn't notice much difference in ride feel - that is, enough to make me wish I'd taken the other bike - until about 60-70 miles. Now, however, I have a carbon bike with a more conventional frame for comparison. I think I can enjoy it a bit longer than I could the aero bikes (I no longer have one), but still not as nice as the steel bike.
Old 08-12-18, 05:59 PM
asgelle

Wind drag increases with speed.
Thanks for pointing that out. What do you think I meany by "scales"?
Old 08-12-18, 06:20 PM
Lazyass

Thanks for pointing that out. What do you think I meany by "scales"?
If you comprehend what I wrote you'll realize I basically said an aero frame isn't much of an advantage with the average rider going a slower speed. I don't really care about the whats or whys of wind tunnel testing speeds, that was an aside. I care about what I feel when I'm riding. I do know jet aircraft aren't wind tunnel tested at 30 mph.
Old 08-12-18, 06:22 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

This thread is destined to go the way of weight threads .... saving even a nanogram will make it easier to pedal, so every nanogram saved is important ... versus ... most people cannot even feel the difference of a few grams, and on the flat, weight means very little ... versus "micro-accelerations will sap a riders energy even on the flat," versus "a few ounces of weight either way for an average rider ... '

then there is the "Don't lose weight on the bike, lose weight on the rider" debate. then there is the 'A couple water bottle are more weight (or in this case, more drag) than is saved by all that expensive technology."

And in every case, anytime someone does not 110% agree with someone else, it is taken a a personal affront of the highest severity. respect for differing viewpoints is never to be found anywhere.

Nobody really wants to come to a wide-ranging series of generally helpful but not rigidly prescriptive series of ideas by which all this could be explained to a novice seeking the input of experienced riders ... so every few weeks we repost the same lame, off-the-point, unhelpful arguments over and over again.

Have a ball, folks..
Old 08-12-18, 06:22 PM
asgelle

If you comprehend what I wrote you'll realize I basically said an aero frame isn't much of an advantage with the average rider going a slower speed.
As rubiksoval pointed out, slower riders save more time through aero equipment.
Old 08-12-18, 06:25 PM
Maelochs

If you comprehend what I wrote you'll realize I basically said an aero frame isn't much of an advantage with the average rider going a slower speed. I don't really care about the whats or whys of wind tunnel testing speeds, that was an aside. I care about what I feel when I'm riding. I do know jet aircraft aren't wind tunnel tested at 30 mph.
By the way ... I have never forgotten about "Lazyass' theory of preride bathroom weight reduction",and I never go for a ride ride without gain the benefit of that wisdom.

Somebody should have explained that theory to Tom Dumoulin before that Giro stage last year.
Old 08-12-18, 06:31 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
slower riders save more time through aero equipment.
Only in absolute terms for a similar course. Relative performance impacts of aero are smaller for slower riders.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.