Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A Matter of Style: Looking Good on the Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-18, 01:52 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

From Above Category Cycling...

Style on the bike isn’t just a matter of taste (or, in our case, looking good in the attire we wear more often than our street clothes) it’s also matter of making our sport relatable and accessible. Let’s dive into a few tips on how to look as acceptable on the bike as when at work. Or the opera. Or a pub. Or the Olive Garden. Maybe not that last one. And finally, for the love of Fausto, don’t think of these as “rules”.

Read More...
I found the article contemporary and very practical, well written given some of the drivel which passes for writing these days.

Q36.5 is nice stuff. The Flower Power jersey might attract hummingbirds.

-Tim-
Old 08-14-18, 01:59 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Good god. "Don't think of these as 'rules'... but they bear a lot of resemblance to those 'rules', complete with the judgement of those whose tastes differ from mine."
Old 08-14-18, 02:01 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
There is no looking good in cycling. We all look like ****ers to everyone else. So this is more how to fit in with cyclists who think they look good but in reality only look good to themselves.
Old 08-14-18, 02:17 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Personally, I don't see myself as an individual, but as an ambassador for whatever other people think I should do, to the people who might see me doing that. If I didn't have other propel telling what to think and act and dress, I wouldn't be able to live. Thank goodness for articles like this one.
Old 08-14-18, 02:20 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I think those pictures are really feeding that guy in the ad's narcissist tendencies. Someone might need to do an intervention on him.

He could become suicidal the day he realizes he's not Peter Sagan, he's just some unattractive weird-looking skinny guy.
Old 08-14-18, 02:32 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think some of the larger towns / cities developing and promoting a bicycle culture have made it more important to " fit in ". Where i'm at, there are a lot of stops along the MUP for cyclists, the local watering holes (with more than enough bike racks) right down to bike shops. So, of course people stopping at these places feel the need to fit in, shorts, jerseys, shoes, helmet, the whole ball of wax. But your also right, people that are not into the cycling culture think we look like a bunch of goons. Oh yeah and only black and white gloves and damn near knee high socks? what kind of goon is this guy? Lol Of course for safety's sake i pretty much have went to all black and yellow or lime green. I also love cycling caps, its almost become an obsession to find the new and weird or outrageous. He didn't talk about them.

Last edited by Rock71; 08-14-18 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-14-18, 02:52 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by Rock71
I think some of the larger towns / cities developing and promoting a bicycle culture have made it more important to " fit in ". Where i'm at, there are a lot of stops along the MUP for cyclists, the local watering holes (with more than enough bike racks) right down to bike shops. So, of course people stopping at these places feel the need to fit in, shorts, jerseys, shoes, helmet, the whole ball of wax. But your also right, people that are not into the cycling culture think we look like a bunch of goons.
A lot of places like that in Atlanta.

Revolution Doughnuts and Octane Coffee Bar are examples. There are many pubs and cafe's around the Beltline and one is as likely to see someone in a cycling jersey as they are a businessman after work. A coffee shop just opened on one of my routes with a bike rack inside. They sell gels and honey stinger waffles at the counter. It is all becoming very natural.

Last winter a pretty lady in a convenience store said to me, "Are you biking? You look nice." I'm sure it was the flouro shoe covers.

-Tim-
Old 08-14-18, 03:09 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
There is no looking good in cycling. We all look like ****ers to everyone else. So this is more how to fit in with cyclists who think they look good but in reality only look good to themselves.
Right on.

The only way to look "good" to non cyclist is to forgo cycling kit altogether. The rest of the details are meaningless - oh, and I should add that knee high socks look ridiculous and not just to non-cyclists
Old 08-14-18, 03:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Nothing wrong with looking good doing what you enjoy. Heck, Velouria's entire Lovely Bicycle blog was mostly a fashion/lifestyle blog wrapped around bicycling. And she looked damned good doing it.

Best way I can look good while riding is to stay upright. Flopped on the pavement is not a good look on me.
Old 08-14-18, 04:19 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

You guys tell me what we should wear. Cargo shorts, flip flops and an untucked undershirt like half the men walking around out there?

I see guys dressed that way all the time, some of them with very nicely dressed women at their side and wonder how easy it would be for the first guy wearing a sports coat with ten bucks in his pocket to steal his girlfriend.

Any of the guys in the article are dressed better than most guys walking around.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 08-14-18 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-14-18, 04:46 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I look so damned good no matter what i wear or what i do, i feel like I am being unfair to all the other people on the planet.

if a guy could take my wife away with a little money or some nice clothes, he could have her. Who would want a woman so superficial ... besides an equally superficial guy. Everyone would be happy then, right?
Old 08-14-18, 05:01 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
This thread needs more pics of TimothyH on his bike
Old 08-14-18, 05:05 PM
ddub

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Dear TimothyH my wife said that statement is sexist. And that women don't think that way. I just had to ask her if a tenner and a suit would make a difference (insert smiley here). YMMV
Old 08-14-18, 05:06 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Are we going to be subjected to a weekly TimothyH fashion thread now? Ugggghhh!
Old 08-14-18, 05:23 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I think the "rules" of looking good on the bike are exactly the same (and exactly as well defined) as off the bike. Especially if we're talking about normal people. Why would their taste in aesthetics change suddenly when it comes to bicyclists? If you want to look good on the bike, get jacked/shredded/swole/lean/dad bod or whatever physique you think looks good off the bike. Wear minimal/Hawaiian/street/logo/prep or whatever you think looks good off the bike. I personally love wearing minimal stuff off the bike (tends to not go out of style as quickly) and therefore try to do the same on the bike.
Old 08-14-18, 05:28 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Dan333SP
This thread needs more pics of TimothyH on his bike

Back when low socks were the thing. I'll try to get something more recent off my Match.com profile.

-Tim-
Old 08-14-18, 05:49 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Good Lord- I think I've read more about fashion and lifestyle on this forum this week than I have in the past year of casually watching HGTV (and no, not just from Tim). And that article, to me, read like something out of Glamour...just with bicycles in the photos.

Here's my .02:
It's a bicycle. I enjoy building and riding them. I also accept that I look like a total dweeb to 99.8% of the population that sees me when I'm out on it, no matter how much I spend or what companies I order from. My main concerns are safety and comfort, and I'll buy colors and patterns I like- not what I think will look most attractive to random strangers in the hopes of making the sport "more relatable and accessible." If the clothes are what attracts people to the sport then A) they've got other problems; and B) when they've spent all the money living up to some "standard," puke their guts up after their first five mile ride, and never take the bike out of the garage again- only then will I ask for their number...to make an offer on the bike.
Old 08-14-18, 05:57 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Personally, I don't see myself as an individual, but as an ambassador for whatever other people think I should do, to the people who might see me doing that. If I didn't have other propel telling what to think and act and dress, I wouldn't be able to live. Thank goodness for articles like this one.
Do you really think it's appropriate to dress like that when you use the internet?
Old 08-14-18, 05:58 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
You guys tell me what we should wear. Cargo shorts, flip flops and an untucked undershirt like half the men walking around out there?

I see guys dressed that way all the time, some of them with very nicely dressed women at their side and wonder how easy it would be for the first guy wearing a sports coat with ten bucks in his pocket to steal his girlfriend.

Any of the guys in the article are dressed better than most guys walking around.

-Tim-
Beth says a suit is like men's version of lingerie.
Old 08-14-18, 06:02 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
I feel more fredly for having read that article.

I'm a racer and so I wear what I get for free. Outside of that it's whatever I find in the defects bin or clearance rack. It doesn't always match.
Old 08-14-18, 06:30 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts

-Tim-
1) How insecure are you? We're all in the trust tree here; you can be honest.
2) I walk around with my nicely-dressed wife while in Lululemon shorts and a singlet. Put on a sports coat and try to steal here. Double-dog dare ya. It'd be funny to watch.
Old 08-14-18, 07:40 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Proper fit, harmonious colors and lines, and a controlled degree of modesty/daring appropriate to the occasion are what it takes for any kind of attire to look good. It doesn't work reliably if one merely attempts to follow rules like "no blue gloves" or whatever if one doesn't know how they achieve the goal.

Funny thing about that piece - it started out sort of philosophical, with some valid general points (or so it seemed), then it lost all credibility by its transparent eagerness to promote products and its obsession with James.

If you ask me, mix-and-match team kit and whatever socks you randomly pulled out of the drawer is totally appropriate for a morning pre-work-workout, or even an afternoon of hooliganism with a few riding mates, but if some former champion is in town for a charity ride, you might want to put on your "Sunday best." Sure, sometimes we really "don't care," but if we ever do, and we expect anyone to believe it, looking like we care is a practical necessity.
Old 08-14-18, 07:48 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
From Above Category Cycling...

I found the article contemporary and very practical, well written given some of the drivel which passes for writing these days.

Q36.5 is nice stuff. The Flower Power jersey might attract hummingbirds.

-Tim-
Gawd I thought you were older than a millennium!
Old 08-14-18, 10:21 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Beth says a suit is like men's version of lingerie.
The reveal inside the jacket, the silk liner certainly is. IMO. Its "a little something special."

I guess the cycling equivalent is the colored base layer. The Castelli below looks great peaking out from under a dark, monochrome kit, especially when riding gravel.

-Tim-
Old 08-15-18, 01:30 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

-Tim-

I'm not that great of a dresser, but agree with this.

Plus, when the codpiece comes back in style, we'll have the jump.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.