Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Freewheel

Old 07-02-19, 09:17 AM
windershins

Bikes: Nishiki

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Freewheel

I have a vintage Nishiki Olympic 10sp. My problem is the freewheel gears have pedal of slop in it, before I take it apart is there an acceptable point of slop? It seems to just slam into gear when I press on the pedal?

Last edited by windershins; 07-02-19 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-02-19, 09:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
just buy a new 5 speed freewheel and new chain , don't obsess over it ..
Old 07-02-19, 10:14 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Dude. Just buy a new bike.

From all your threads about this bike it sounds like literally every single component of the bike is in need of some kind of repair.

The bike simple isn't worth as much as it would require you to dump into it to fix it properly. A brand new nice bike really isn't all that expensive compared to the total cost of repairs on your current one.
Old 07-02-19, 01:45 PM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
I think everything is fine with that bike. I think the op isn‘t used to vintage bikes.

- it has cottered crank. Nothing wrong with that. On the contrary. If it gets loose due to improper installation, reinstall correctly with a new cotter pin and off you go. Riding a loose square taper crank destroys the whole crank.

- It doesn‘t have disk brakes. No problem either. Learn to squeeze those levers hard with multiple fingers and you‘ll stop in time.

- Guess it‘s a 5 speed freewheel. The difference between gears can be 3 or 4 teeth. Guess that‘s meant with slop/slamming. Just get used to it. Or use a half step chainring setup and learn the double shift patterns. And don‘t shift under load.
Old 07-02-19, 02:49 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
Originally Posted by Kovkov
I think everything is fine with that bike. I think the op isn‘t used to vintage bikes.

- it has cottered crank. Nothing wrong with that. On the contrary. If it gets loose due to improper installation, reinstall correctly with a new cotter pin and off you go. Riding a loose square taper crank destroys the whole crank.

- It doesn‘t have disk brakes. No problem either. Learn to squeeze those levers hard with multiple fingers and you‘ll stop in time.

- Guess it‘s a 5 speed freewheel. The difference between gears can be 3 or 4 teeth. Guess that‘s meant with slop/slamming. Just get used to it. Or use a half step chainring setup and learn the double shift patterns. And don‘t shift under load.
+1... This is an old bike, and it brings a certain joy to clean up an old bike and have it feel the way it felt back when it was new(ish). Fully modernizing an old bike brings a different kind of joy, but you need more tinkering under your belt before you can tackle that, or every step will be a step backward before you slowly advance. I would focus on research and cleaning/restoring this bike to a reasonable level of function, then find the next thing you’re curious about.
Old 07-03-19, 11:08 PM
TireLever-07

Bikes: 2009 Masi, 2014 Specialized Crossroads 1975 Schwinn Unicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rear axle loose bearing? Wheel out of true. Frame broke (That one would would be easier to see) Rose Petal or pedals? Sorry to be a ___. Rear tire,, installed wrong? Ride around the blocks a few times, Bikes are very simple. If you mean the crank arms wobble when spinning them by hand? Usually Bottom Bracket trouble. There are loose bearings and caged bearing,, inside the BB Shell. In the 1990's The Cartridge Bottom Bracket Spindle came along. It comes in a box, by spindle width, etc. That spins on to the BB Shell threads, Sorry I can't understand your question, try a local co-op. PS Check to see that both brakes are centered,, ie not dragging.
Old 07-04-19, 12:49 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
Originally Posted by windershins
I have a vintage Nishiki Olympic 10sp. My problem is the freewheel gears have pedal of slop in it, before I take it apart is there an acceptable point of slop? It seems to just slam into gear when I press on the pedal?
...you won't get much in the way of a genuinely helpful response here without a better idea of and description of your perceived problem. I honestly can't figure out what it is you think is wrong, and I see that you've gotten some other borderline negative responses.

Many freewheels are "sloppy" in that they appear to wobble as they go around. They're still perfectly fine to use, because they lock up under forward pressure on the pawls and simply rotate with the wheel. The actual bearing assembly does not need to be especially accurate.
Old 07-04-19, 06:34 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
You need to read the works of Sheldon Brown. 90% of what I have fixed I learned off that website. Simply hands on, a little tinkering and following standard repair and diagnostic procedures
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/
Likes For FlMTNdude: